Tank Discussion: are we, should we, can we, will we?

Should the Lakers tank and rebuild?

Yes, let's tank and rebuild
63%
No, don't want to waste a year
36%

Total votes : 66

Re: Should Lakers go into full tank mode?

Postby Center Court on Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:15 am

we should. it's by far the best option we have to bring in a franchise level player and do so cheaply so that we can put others around him.

just as KD is to OKC, Bron to Cle, Dwight to Orlando, and Blake to LAC, we need to find our rookie that can become our next Kobe. Then pair him with established superstars like Bron, Melo, Love, KD, etc.
Center Court

Postby Phil XI on Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:28 am

FabFourLakers wrote:Interesting...Dallas could give their pick to us but unfortunately they're gonna suck thsi year too so I doubt they will have a pick that is after the 20th pick....my guess is they'll probably be in the lotto this year or they'll be in the 15th/16th range.

Not true.
OKC owns the Dal 1st rd pick.
They got it in Harden trade from Rox.
LA sent it with Fisher to Rox in '12.
Its not LA's anymore.
Get 17!!
Phil XI

Location: Thanks Ron for Gm7! You'll always be a Laker Legend!

Postby Ludachris on Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:23 am

How does tanking help surround Kobe with talent that can win in the next couple years? Even if we landed a high draft pick (I doubt we get the first pick) that player won't be ready to contribute for a few years, if at all. If we trade Gasol and Nash away, I'd rather see them pick up some good young pieces that have shown flashes of being able to play in this league. The Lakers don't have a history of building through the draft, and I'd rather they didn't take their chances and start now unless they've already identified some Kobe-like talent that they're targeting. But then again, who is leading the scouting report these days? It isn't Jerry West, so I'd be hesitant to put faith in the organization's scouting.

If an opportunity presents itself to bring in some quality young pieces at the trade deadline, or maybe a couple draft picks we could use for trading later, go for it. We could use some trade pieces next summer in addition to the cap space.
Buck Foston, LA Rules
Ludachris

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:49 am

With Jimbo at the helm, tanking would lead to disaster...
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby Ludachris on Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:11 am

KareemTheGreat33 wrote:With Jimbo at the helm, tanking would lead to disaster...

That's my fear too... at least free agency and trades would be something Mitch headed up, even if Jimmie has final say. I trust Mitch's abilities to bring in quality veterans and up-and-comers than I do Jim and the scouts to draft anything worth a s***.

I'm tired of asking this guys. Stop bypassing the swear filter. -therealdeal
Buck Foston, LA Rules
Ludachris

Postby therealdeal on Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:22 am

Jim Buss was the one who insisted on drafting Andrew Bynum so I think his draft knowledge is just fine when we have talent to draft.

The Lakers have done a fairly decent job of drafting over the last few years anyway. Ebanks was an okay rookie for the second round, Morris was an okay 3rd string PG, Goudelock was the MVP of the D-League, and Kelly looks like a solid pick this season.

We had a stretch of time where our 2nd round picks were Euro-stashes, but other than that the Jim/Mitch/Jerry trio did fine drafting and I don't see why that would change now.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Ludachris on Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:32 am

therealdeal wrote:Jim Buss was the one who insisted on drafting Andrew Bynum so I think his draft knowledge is just fine when we have talent to draft.

The Lakers have done a fairly decent job of drafting over the last few years anyway. Ebanks was an okay rookie for the second round, Morris was an okay 3rd string PG, Goudelock was the MVP of the D-League, and Kelly looks like a solid pick this season.

We had a stretch of time where our 2nd round picks were Euro-stashes, but other than that the Jim/Mitch/Jerry trio did fine drafting and I don't see why that would change now.

Bynum was one of the few highlights (injuries aside). And though all the others you mentioned weren't total crap, they still never turned out to be anything very useful to us, even off the bench - though we were able to use some others as trade bait. I just don't see this team building through the draft. If they're going to pick up some young talent to trade for proven talent, fine, but that plan will take 3+ years.

I guess I should stop hoping to see them reload quick enough to take advantage of Kobe's last few years, but I really would like to see him win one more before he goes out. I think the team is in a unique situation to keep him around as a strong role player/piece of the puzzle for 2014-2016. But in order to do that they'll need to move quickly.
Buck Foston, LA Rules
Ludachris

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:42 am

^We're going to be a position to get a good draft pick this summer. Our roster isn't that good, obviously. I think we'll be fine in our selection, though. Ryan Kelley wasn't a bad choice where we got him at; and if we're targeting a mobile, athletic big man there is a couple of those that are easy to target...this draft is deep and talented; you can't go wrong...
dwighthowardsdad

Postby Ludachris on Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:45 am

dwighthowardsdad wrote:^We're going to be a position to get a good draft pick this summer. Our roster isn't that good, obviously. I think we'll be fine in our selection, though. Ryan Kelley wasn't a bad choice where we got him at; and if we're targeting a mobile, athletic big man there is a couple of those that are easy to target...this draft is deep and talented; you can't go wrong...

With no knowledge of the prospects (don't watch any college ball), I'm hoping you guys are right.
Buck Foston, LA Rules
Ludachris

Postby therealdeal on Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:45 am

For all second rounders, that's really not that bad. Most second rounders don't even stay on the team that drafts them.

Yes, you should absolutely expect this team to rebuild quickly. They'll rebuild this summer and next summer and by 2015-2016 they'll be a pretty good team again.

But that's about it. Rebuilds take time even when you're the Lakers.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby khmrP on Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:46 am

Ludachris wrote:
dwighthowardsdad wrote:^We're going to be a position to get a good draft pick this summer. Our roster isn't that good, obviously. I think we'll be fine in our selection, though. Ryan Kelley wasn't a bad choice where we got him at; and if we're targeting a mobile, athletic big man there is a couple of those that are easy to target...this draft is deep and talented; you can't go wrong...

With no knowledge of the prospects (don't watch any college ball), I'm hoping you guys are right.

with Kobe/Pau/Nash we're gona be medicore to decent at best, that pick will be in the late teens if we're lucky, lower 20's if these guys over acheive which I could see happening barring injuries.
khmrP

Postby Savory Griddles on Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:55 am

khmrP wrote:
Ludachris wrote:

with Kobe/Pau/Nash we're gona be medicore to decent at best, that pick will be in the late teens if we're lucky, lower 20's if these guys over acheive which I could see happening barring injuries.

I don't think we will overachieve. Barring injuries, another couple solid league minimum signings like Anthony Morrow and this team will be a 7th or 8th seed. Remember, Dallas will be even worse this season. Utah is taking a pretty good sized step back without Milsap and Jefferson. Portland is the only team that may sneak in and knock us out of that 8th spot. I guess you MIGHT be able to make a case for Minny, but I still think they are a 35 win team.
Savory Griddles

Postby last stand on Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:14 am

we may not need to tank, it may happen naturally.

all it takes is kobe being slightly unhealthy, pau and nash continuing to age and we are winning less than 40 games. the only chance we have at winning 50+games is kobe being kobe, nash going back in time, pau doing the same, lamar becoming lamar again (assuming he's here)

that's a lot that has to happen. our best hope is to find a way to get another 1st rounder, maybe another 2 1st rounders from middle of the road teams

that would give us 2-3 chances at a top 5 pick. with a lottery system that's the best you can ask for. question is what middle of the road team do you convince to give up a 2014 draft pick
everyone has their top 10 lists of women heres mine

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

Postby jellyroll49 on Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:16 pm

Amnestying MWP is a step in that direction. The financial implications make it not seem like tanking but its certainly not going to help us win. The lakers can never really "tank." It would be a disgrace to the franchise, but if were stuck in the 7-10 range, trading gasol and nash to borderline contenders for picks may be a smart option. I'm not sold at all in terms of the 2014 plan. I don't see us being able to land multiple stars like we expect to. Lebrons not gong to leave a winner in miami and i doubt melo comes to play for antoni. I have some interest in lowry and gay but they are harldy supperstars that would immediately put us in contention. We need to be smart and try to get as much talent as we can in the draft and hopefully sign Love in 2015. It pains me to say but it seems like Kobes window has closed unless we're able to rebuild this thing in one summer. The safer bet is to stockpile assets and build around youth.
"It's not even close," says one Western Conference scout. "The difference between Kobe and LeBron is like [the one between] a Maserati and a Volvo."

:pipe: = bud enhanced post
jellyroll49

Postby thkthebest on Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:22 pm

last stand wrote:we may not need to tank, it may happen naturally.

all it takes is kobe being slightly unhealthy, pau and nash continuing to age and we are winning less than 40 games. the only chance we have at winning 50+games is kobe being kobe, nash going back in time, pau doing the same, lamar becoming lamar again (assuming he's here)

that's a lot that has to happen. our best hope is to find a way to get another 1st rounder, maybe another 2 1st rounders from middle of the road teams

that would give us 2-3 chances at a top 5 pick. with a lottery system that's the best you can ask for. question is what middle of the road team do you convince to give up a 2014 draft pick

Not to mention Kaman. Any team he's on just instantly misses the playoffs.
thkthebest

Postby jellyroll49 on Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:23 pm

Savory Griddles wrote:
khmrP wrote:
Ludachris wrote:

I don't think we will overachieve. Barring injuries, another couple solid league minimum signings like Anthony Morrow and this team will be a 7th or 8th seed. Remember, Dallas will be even worse this season. Utah is taking a pretty good sized step back without Milsap and Jefferson. Portland is the only team that may sneak in and knock us out of that 8th spot. I guess you MIGHT be able to make a case for Minny, but I still think they are a 35 win team.

I just think we're stuck in the worst position possible in the NBA, fringe playoff team with no real shot to win it all but not bad enough to land a top 5 pick. It's widely considered a deep draft but the only sure bets r in the top 5. To get in there, we would hafta tank. I've come around to the idea of moving pau and/ or nash for picks, possibly packaging those picks to get into the Top 5, while naturally tanking because of the loss of talent. Now, explaining that to kobe, thats a different story.
"It's not even close," says one Western Conference scout. "The difference between Kobe and LeBron is like [the one between] a Maserati and a Volvo."

:pipe: = bud enhanced post
jellyroll49

Postby Weezy on Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:15 pm

I didn't know what thread to put this in, but I think it was most closely related to tanking, made me laugh.

@MWhickerOCR: Laker Girl tryouts scheduled for Sunday in case Lakers go through with 2013-14 season
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby vaylen on Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:23 am

Kobe is going to despise what is necessary to surround him with talent now that D12 shifted the Lakers plans. That's why it's best he sit out this whole season and put this precious remaining year on his legs into the piggy bank. For us to do what we need to do to get a Kyrie Irving type player to go with Kobe while still leaving the cap room to bring in either two superstars or a superstar and great role players, we will have to field a team that would drive Kobe crazy if he had to play with them in 2013/14. He hates losing so much it would drive him insane. He should rehab his injury and spend a lot of time in Italy. 2013/14 never happened. Just enjoy the top 5 player sidekick for a couple of seasons when you come back.
vaylen

Are we Tanking for a future or Not?

Postby The Laker Link on Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:12 pm

I'm kind of getting a little confused as to what is going on, but I'm just gonna keep waiting and see. I was mostly curious though, with all these names getting tossed around about signing with the Lakers, who do you think would work enough in the D'Antoni system that makes it so we COULD be a good team this year?

Like who gets added to this team, of the rumors going around that makes you go "Ok, we're not tanking, we're gonna just give this season a decent shot for the playoffs and see what happens?"

I kind of want us to tank now but with Odom being looked at and guys like Nick Young, I feel like they are saying "No, we can do this" and it's a little confusing because it seemed like Jim and everyone wanted to Tank.
The Laker Link

Re: Are we Tanking for a future or Not?

Postby LOSLAKERS on Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:16 pm

I'm getting the impression that 2014 free agency is what the Lakers are really focusing on while staying (or attempting) competitive this year
LOSLAKERS

Postby karacha on Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:16 pm

We're not going to tank. With good chemistry and no major injuries, we could be... decent, actually.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:16 pm

LOSLAKERS wrote:I'm getting the impression that 2014 free agency is what the Lakers are really focusing on

This.

We're not tanking. The Lakers never said they were. They're going to field the best team they can and if that team stinks, they stink. If they're good, then hooray!
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby khmrP on Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:18 pm

this team doesn't look much worse than that 2009 Pho team that got to the WCF, minus the old age of course :man10:
khmrP

Postby karacha on Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:19 pm

I just want to see people who like to play with each other, enjoy the game and hustle. And if they don't win many games, it is what is is. I will still appreciate them trying hard and caring about the team.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:20 pm

I can't call what we're doing tanking, and I can't say it's not, we're preparing for the 2014 offseason. We're signing the best players we can with one year minimum deals, but not getting the best players we could if we offered more than one year. Everyone we are signing is on a one year deal, so this is a throw away season, whatever happens, happens and then we start over. If you see us doing really well I think you're being optimistic, I see us fighting to make the playoffs again.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion