Tank Discussion: are we, should we, can we, will we?

Should the Lakers tank and rebuild?

Yes, let's tank and rebuild
63%
No, don't want to waste a year
36%

Total votes : 66

Re: Tank Discussion: are we, should we, can we, will we?

Postby karacha on Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:48 am

Yes, the draft will be strong. We are simply going to get some minimum players for nostalgic reasons, let Kobe rest as much as possible, reduce minutes for old Nash, count on Kaveman being injured. Go small and let the younger guys run like crazy chucking shots and getting destroyed on D. Try to play entertaining basketball... And maybe we can get a decent pick. I am being realistic here.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lets Go Lakers on Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:26 am

We should absolutely tank. But since it makes too much sense, Buss Jr won't try to do it. We should get rid of Pau before the trade deadline after featuring him big time and set up for 2013-2014. Try to acquire as many draft picks and cap space as possible and freaken reload.

We should do all we can to try to land Wiggins. That guy is freakish and will undoubtedly be a star.
Lets Go Lakers

Postby Doc Brown on Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:31 am

Nash / Kobe / Young / Pau / Kaman / Hill.....

We aren't tanking because that crew alone wins more games than.....

Charlotte
Orlando
Philly
Milwaukee
Boston
Atlanta
Phoenix
Sacramento
Utah

You have a 25% chance of getting the #1 overall pick WITH the crappiest record. We aren't going to have the top 5 in worst record, not even close.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby therealdeal on Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:15 am

^ That is a perfectly succinct post about what I've been trying to say in here for 7 pages. :man10:
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Thenextgreat on Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:27 am

Stern owes us so get in the lottery and guarantee top 5 pick... :man10: I don't see this team tanking tho...that's Ridiculous talk
Thenextgreat

Postby nba2k14 on Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:29 pm

I hate to be realistic here but some of you are delusional. The Lakers should absolutely start the rebuilding project now for many reasons. I feel keeping that '14 pipe dream is going to hurt this team in the long-run. You got a very tiny chance at Lebron and Melo is not a guy I want to commit long-term MAX money to in his 30s. If Pau is any indication, guys in their 30s would not have the same impact in their 20s, especially when that guy is not in the top 25 in the history of the NBA as far as talent goes. The rest of the free-agent are what you called "money sucker" and very low impact. So basically if you don't rebuild this year, in 2015, you just commit long-term money to some unwanted MAX player, have 41 Nash, a broken down Kobe, and some trashed role players. No draft pick and staying mediocre for years to come. That is not something you want to see. At least, if the Lakers have a young promising star, it would be much easier to swallow the losing season and enjoy watching that guy grow. Right now, their best young talent is Robert Sacre! I almost poop just the thought of that.
nba2k14

Postby The Rock on Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:37 pm

Main Laker blog on twitter has us losing 50 games

http://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2013/7/14/4520520/the-lakers-are-building-the-facade-of-competing-but-facing-the

Again, look at this team on paper: serviceable, no? Savvy veterans whose time with Pacific Division rivals keep them familiar, longtime Lakers who have won titles and a multitude of players who have had very good (though perhaps superficially so) offensive statistics. To the naked eye and ear, this looks like a team that could beat any given NBA team on any night simply by being around the game for so long. In many ways, this will appease the veterans on the team, season ticket holders, a vocal fan base who insist that the "Lakers don't tank or rebuild" and casual viewers who will know most names on the squad. The front office has built up a very deceiving squad that will be able to compete, but is worlds away from competing for home court advantage in the playoffs, let alone a championship.

With the new CBA as a legitimate excuse and mounting luxury taxes compounding those restrictions, Kupchak and Buss have cobbled together a team of vets who could help win games based on their experience, but is ultimately doomed to fail based on their defensive shortcomings. The Lakers can't be accused of trying to intentionally lose next season, not by their current players or the fan base, seeing as they have done their best to bring in guys with tangible skills. However, with a team built on injury-prone veterans and matador defense, they also look set up to fail.

Ultimately, I see this Lakers team losing around 50 games, missing the playoffs and nabbing a chance to end up a top 3 pick with a lucky bounce of a lottery ball. The organization will have a staggering $65 million coming off the books next summer, with just Nash, Robert Sacre and Ryan Kelly being under contract in 2014-2015. Thus, in addition to a probable lottery pick, the Lakers will also have the ability to bid for a max salary free agent, as well as re-sign Gasol and Bryant to new, lower value contracts if they so please. In the intertim, the front office has to be given credit for this gentle balancing act of appeasing folks in the present but preparing for a rebuilding future, as difficult as it may be to see.

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby Battle Tested20 on Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:43 pm

The Rock wrote:Main Laker blog on twitter has us losing 50 games

http://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2013/7/14/4520520/the-lakers-are-building-the-facade-of-competing-but-facing-the

Again, look at this team on paper: serviceable, no? Savvy veterans whose time with Pacific Division rivals keep them familiar, longtime Lakers who have won titles and a multitude of players who have had very good (though perhaps superficially so) offensive statistics. To the naked eye and ear, this looks like a team that could beat any given NBA team on any night simply by being around the game for so long. In many ways, this will appease the veterans on the team, season ticket holders, a vocal fan base who insist that the "Lakers don't tank or rebuild" and casual viewers who will know most names on the squad. The front office has built up a very deceiving squad that will be able to compete, but is worlds away from competing for home court advantage in the playoffs, let alone a championship.

With the new CBA as a legitimate excuse and mounting luxury taxes compounding those restrictions, Kupchak and Buss have cobbled together a team of vets who could help win games based on their experience, but is ultimately doomed to fail based on their defensive shortcomings. The Lakers can't be accused of trying to intentionally lose next season, not by their current players or the fan base, seeing as they have done their best to bring in guys with tangible skills. However, with a team built on injury-prone veterans and matador defense, they also look set up to fail.

Ultimately, I see this Lakers team losing around 50 games, missing the playoffs and nabbing a chance to end up a top 3 pick with a lucky bounce of a lottery ball. The organization will have a staggering $65 million coming off the books next summer, with just Nash, Robert Sacre and Ryan Kelly being under contract in 2014-2015. Thus, in addition to a probable lottery pick, the Lakers will also have the ability to bid for a max salary free agent, as well as re-sign Gasol and Bryant to new, lower value contracts if they so please. In the intertim, the front office has to be given credit for this gentle balancing act of appeasing folks in the present but preparing for a rebuilding future, as difficult as it may be to see.

This isn't happening, lol
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby Weezy on Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:01 pm

I cannot see us being so bad we lose 50 games. No Kobe team has ever lost 50 games, the worst ever was the 2004/2005 season where he missed like 15 games with injury and we lost 48. I know they're old, I just can't see a team with Kobe, Nash and Pau losing 50 games, seeing it with my own eyes actually happen is the only way I will believe it.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby rydjorker121 on Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:16 pm

I think we're just at a stage now where we truly don't know what Kobe's going to bring. Is he going to come back like 'Nique? Or will he be reduced to a Brandon Roy-like state? Who knows.

Even if we take the difference of a hobbled Brandon Roy or a post-Achilles 'Nique state, don't think that's enough to make the playoffs. Personally, I don't think our collection of talent has much synergistic quality to it either offensively or defensively, and Mike D'Antoni is notorious for coaching down on defense. And we have got to be in the top three teams in terms of injury proneness. There's way too many reservations to be had with this team.

I think deep down inside, Mitch doesn't want to make the playoffs and wants a high lottery pick, because face it, he, just like the rest of us, are tired of seeing our youngest cog guys always in their mid 20s. The best way to build is always through the draft. And Mitch is a pretty good drafter--I'd rank him about 12th out of the 30 GMs--it's just that we're always drafting in the late 1st so we're not getting that extreme value that we'd get if we were drafting in the lottery.

At the end, he's trying to save face--telling the public, hey, look at these relative 'name' guys, LA connections who want to play with us. The reality is, I can't really see us getting past the scrum, of 5 teams competing for the 8th seed. And do we really, really want that 8th seed?
rydjorker121
Draft/Trade Rumor Staff

Postby 432J on Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:19 pm

no way we lost 50 games

42-40 is more realistic
432J

Postby therealdeal on Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:40 pm

Weezy wrote:I cannot see us being so bad we lose 50 games. No Kobe team has ever lost 50 games, the worst ever was the 2004/2005 season where he missed like 15 games with injury and we lost 48. I know they're old, I just can't see a team with Kobe, Nash and Pau losing 50 games, seeing it with my own eyes actually happen is the only way I will believe it.

This. I just do not see that at all.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:50 pm

We're not tanking. I might even be a bit optimistic and say we'll be more competitive then people think next year. We had a fluke of a season and won 45 games. I say our chemistry is better, our team is deeper and more balanced; and taking into consideration how deep the West is right now, I'll go as far to say we'll win more games then last year. Call me crazy; I know....
dwighthowardsdad

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:40 am

When we got Magic, we bought/traded for the draft pick. I suspect that's what we'll do this time around. Flip our draft pick and an expiring Pau for a move up in the draft.
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

Postby strategos on Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:26 am

therealdeal wrote:
Weezy wrote:I cannot see us being so bad we lose 50 games. No Kobe team has ever lost 50 games, the worst ever was the 2004/2005 season where he missed like 15 games with injury and we lost 48. I know they're old, I just can't see a team with Kobe, Nash and Pau losing 50 games, seeing it with my own eyes actually happen is the only way I will believe it.

+1

I have the impression that peole try too hard to be "realistic" when they are in fact becoming pessimistic. There are a lot of ifs with this team, probably more than with most others, but we still have some of the very best in the business on our team and real fighters in Kobe and Steve. I like the new additions, the chemistry should be a lot better and I just can't imagine another year with so many injuries. We will have some for sure, but no way we will have as much bad luck as last year again. Call me crazy, but I predict a 45-50 wins season. Unless Kobe does not come back strong or misses a significant part of the season...
strategos

Postby therealdeal on Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:07 am

strategos wrote:
therealdeal wrote:

+1

I have the impression that peole try too hard to be "realistic" when they are in fact becoming pessimistic. There are a lot of ifs with this team, probably more than with most others, but we still have some of the very best in the business on our team and real fighters in Kobe and Steve. I like the new additions, the chemistry should be a lot better and I just can't imagine another year with so many injuries. We will have some for sure, but no way we will have as much bad luck as last year again. Call me crazy, but I predict a 45-50 wins season. Unless Kobe does not come back strong or misses a significant part of the season...

I'm with you. We have the influx of youth we need now so that the injuries shouldn't be as devastating as last season. We've got more continuity and flow. We're going to LOOK better on the floor especially offensively...

I don't know about 45-50 wins unless we're very, very fortunate with health/the Kobe situation. I think we're probably closer to 42-47 wins at the end of the day.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby chingy248 on Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:51 pm

:man9:

KP_Rivals @KP_Rivals

Wiggins response to the NBA player he would want to play 1on1: 'Kobe. he's the closest thing to Jordan & Jordan's the greatest of all time

chingy248

Postby Doc Brown on Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:04 pm

He also said he wants to play for the Raptors.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby KB24 on Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:10 am

Can we even tank? anybody knows if we have any picks? or are our picks lottery protected?

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Lakers Discussion