Tank Discussion: are we, should we, can we, will we?

Should the Lakers tank and rebuild?

Yes, let's tank and rebuild
63%
No, don't want to waste a year
36%

Total votes : 66

Re: Should Lakers go into full tank mode?

Postby ElginTheGreat on Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:46 pm

Tobias Funke wrote:Well for me tanking is sitting players and losing games on purpose. I dont think the Lakers would allow that, and I dont think Id want to see it either.

But we aren't winning anything this season, so blowing it all up and ending up with a crappy team that loses almost by default is fine with me.

This is my feeling. I just don't see how we would get to the playoffs as we are currently constructed. Teams definitely want to kick us while we are down. Gonna be an even longer season than this year was.
ElginTheGreat

Postby KentuckyLaker on Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:47 pm

Weezy wrote:
KentuckyLaker wrote:Folks, the past 15 years or so have been a fun, winding ride. However, it's time to turn the page.

I agree, you can't stay on top forever, there's always going to be a down time. We had one in the 90's, and we had one from 2005-2007 (poor us right? :man10: ). Now it looks like we're there again, I voted for rebuild (don't want to tank, want to rebuild, but there was only 2 poll options). Just sucks that this has to happen while Kobe still has game left in him, was hoping it would be when he retired.

Agreed. I was hoping it would happen once the Mamba called it quits too, but I guess it is what it is. Trying to band-aid the deficiencies isn't the answer anymore (well, it never really was, but you get the point); we need to put a clear-cut plan in place, form an identity (which I guess will be D'Antoni ball- shooting threes, 'high-octane offense') and build towards success in the future.
"Everything negative- pressure, challenges -is all an opportunity for me to rise. "

- Kobe Bryant

Bred and raised in the hills of Eastern Kentucky, following the Lakers and UK Wildcats for life.
KentuckyLaker

Postby kray28 on Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:51 pm

I want Kobe to get better, and I want us to regroup next season. No tanking....try to do your best Lakers. I am always in your corner.
kray28

Postby kray28 on Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:52 pm

ElginTheGreat wrote:
Tobias Funke wrote:Well for me tanking is sitting players and losing games on purpose. I dont think the Lakers would allow that, and I dont think Id want to see it either.

But we aren't winning anything this season, so blowing it all up and ending up with a crappy team that loses almost by default is fine with me.

This is my feeling. I just don't see how we would get to the playoffs as we are currently constructed. Teams definitely want to kick us while we are down. Gonna be an even longer season than this year was.

#stayonthebandwagon
kray28

Postby ElginTheGreat on Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:55 pm

kray28 wrote:
ElginTheGreat wrote:

#stayonthebandwagon

No doubt. I honestly think we will finally turn the corner in 2014.
ElginTheGreat

Postby Finwë on Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:57 pm

TIME wrote:Poorly worded poll.

Lakers always rebuild but never tank.

This.
I didn't vote because neither option is right IMO.
We don't "tank". We don't look to lose, intentionally. We don't actively try to put bad lineups out there, or make weird subs, or stop playing players, in a not-so-conceiled effort to lose. The Lakers don't do that, Kobe doesn't do that, Nash doesn't do that..

What's going to happen is: we'll still try to make a few improvements roster-wise (vet. min guys), and our guys will still go out trying to win games. We probably just won't be good enough (despite our efforts) to make the playoffs. Probably. But it will never be intentional. Huge difference.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby Finwë on Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:58 pm

Weezy wrote:The Lakers don't tank though, they don't go out there and try to lose games on purpose, I'm not sure many teams do that, if any. Again, we might suck and thus 'tank' by default if that isn't a conflicting statement, but we don't lose on purpose. A rebuild is what you call it, blowing the team up, they then suck by default and we get a high pick. The chances of getting the #1 pick are never high for us though, it's a crapshoot. Hell our worst year in '05 when Kobe missed all those games to finish the season and our roster was garbage we still only got the 10th pick.

Should've read this post before posting mine, exactly what I meant
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby Finwë on Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:59 pm

kray28 wrote:I want Kobe to get better, and I want us to regroup next season. No tanking....try to do your best Lakers. I am always in your corner.

+1!
Finwë

Postby vaylen on Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:55 pm

This +1
Fly Like A Mosquito Bite wrote:Lakers fans won't like it. Many here will crucify me for even suggesting it.

I have no faith in Nash getting healthy and playing significant minutes. While I think Pau will be able to get back to an elite level, I don't think this Pau and an older, injured, Kobe can beat OKC and Houston this year.

Our salary cap is still a monster even with Dwight gone. We can't sign anyone good. Everyone decent has already signed elsewhere.

I truly think this is a great year to go into full-tank mode now that Dwight is gone. Andrew Wiggins is the best prospect since Lebron/Durant. Even if we don't get Wiggins, next year's draft is loaded.

Tank, have Kobe sit out 1 year, hope for Wiggins, sign major free-agent in 2014. Start by trading Pau who is expiring and can still be an elite player. Nash will be harder to trade but I think a team out there will want him. Metta has no chance of being traded so amnesty him.
vaylen

Postby therealdeal on Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:03 pm

If Dwight is gone get rid of everyone not named Kobe (unless Kobe demands a trade).

Nash can stay if he really wants, but why would he want to? He can go to a contender if there's one willing to take him.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby vaylen on Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:07 pm

Resting Kobe all year isn't tanking. He's old and only has probably 2 good years left in his legs. Not rushing him back and making sure he's 110% healthy in 2014/15 is just maximizing an extremely finite resource. Tanking is when you lose when you have the talent to win. The Celtics in 2006 were tanking. I think we should amnesty MWP, trade Pau and even Nash (if there are any takers) for young unproven prospects that YES, will probably not be very good players in 2013. The Lakers might lose 50/60 games. I won't mind. It will get D'Antoni fired and will result in a MUCH improved Lakers team in 2014/15. Nobody cares how low the valley is between K2 and Everest.
vaylen

Postby Weezy on Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:09 pm

Can you GET Kobe to take a year off though? This is Kobe we're talking about, he's shooting for a November/December return, he wants back in. You really think they can make him sit out a full season if he wants to play? Even with a crap team Kobe will still want to get out there and play.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Phil XI on Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:28 pm

Ummmm, 40+ years as a Laker fan. With the title question in mind, my answer would be...
The Clipper bandwagon needs fans. Lakers don't tank. Ever. Even in the pre Kareem and post Magic hiv tough times, they were striving to win playoff games. With a question like that you OP clearly don't know this franchise's history.
Get 17!!
Phil XI

Location: Thanks Ron for Gm7! You'll always be a Laker Legend!

Postby LakerFanIam on Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:37 pm

LakerFanIam

Postby Finwë on Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:39 pm

Phil XI wrote:Ummmm, 40+ years as a Laker fan. With the title question in mind, my answer would be...
The Clipper bandwagon needs fans. Lakers don't tank. Ever. Even in the pre Kareem and post Magic hiv tough times, they were striving to win playoff games. With a question like that you OP clearly don't know this franchise's history.

:bow:
Finwë

Postby charvin on Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:57 pm

This isn't the NFL. Tanking will not, I repeat, will not guarantee you Wiggins. There's a reason the lottery was put in place and it seems to discourage teams from getting the absolute worst record so they can end up with the #1 pick.

As demonstrated in these last few years, the team with the worst record has not ended up with the #1 pick. Unless someone is able to see into the future and know that the Lakers will win the draft lottery (god forbid we even think of this), or that somehow Wiggins will drop into whatever pick the Lakers have.
charvin

Postby Fly Like A Mosquito Bite on Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:17 pm

Phil XI wrote:Ummmm, 40+ years as a Laker fan. With the title question in mind, my answer would be...

72% agree with me.

This isn't 40 years ago. This is now. This is the NBA with a salary cap and a CBA. You can't just sign anyone you want anymore. You need assets. Everyone has to rebuild. And to rebuild, you first have to suck.

Don't think the Lakers play by different rules than other teams. The Lakers also have to follow the new CBA agreed upon 2 years ago.
Fly Like A Mosquito Bite

Postby Weezy on Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:20 pm

I, for one, only agreed on rebuild, it's just that you put tank and rebuild together. This is a wasted year with this roster no matter what, so I wasn't going to choose that, so my only option was tank and rebuild. Had you put options like "rebuild by getting the best players we can for Pau and Nash", "tank by trading for picks and losing on purpose" and "I don't want to waste a year", I would have gone with rebuild. So I don't necessarily fully agree with you, Lakers don't "tank", they rebuild or reload.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby TIME on Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:37 pm

Fly Like A Mosquito Bite wrote:72% agree with me.

... and we all know the majority are never wrong.

Fly Like A Mosquito Bite wrote:
You need assets.

Is that you Daryl Morey?
Vitti uttered three words that surely applies to how Bryant made two free throws on one leg, walked off the court on his own and processed his rehabilitation plan amid the pain, frustration and tears.

“That’s really cool.”
TIME
CL Global Moderator

Postby Savory Griddles on Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:45 pm

I would blow it up. That's not tanking, that's being realistic. With Kobe likely coming back to a team in December that will be 10 games under 500, why take a chance with him? He would have to KILL himself to get the Lakers anywhere NEAR the playoffs. I would encourage him to take the year off. Trade Pau and Nash for picks. It's better than clawing to MAYBE 43 wins and an outside chance at the 8th seed.

As a franchise we can't placate to Kobe to the point where we put ourselves in a hole for the next few years by trying to piece together weird parts.
Savory Griddles

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:46 pm

This is not intended as an attack on the OP specifically.............

I'm sorry I am insulted to even have fans of this team to ask such a question. Modern day NBA fans have no faith in teams and all faith in individuals. I have been a Lakers fan since Magic was drafted and have never once thought the season was a loss so much so to think we should tank. The sheer question is beyond my understanding. Call me a homer. I can live with that. I don't think this is a Championship team especially now with so much work to do but no way in hell would I say the Lakers lose for some kid in college. I'll take the fans of the old days who rode with a team no matter what and supported them. Maybe Dwight needs to take some folks with him to Houston. (Again, this isn't a personal attack on the OP but more my opinion in general to the question of us tanking)
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby Helljumper on Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:49 pm

ITT: Arguing semantics
Helljumper

Postby Aonex on Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:53 pm

Helljumper wrote:ITT: Arguing semantics

Yup, call it what you will, tanking, rebuilding... we need to get young, talented players for the future... the retooling on the fly with older players just isn't working anymore. And I fail to see how wanting to rebuild means you no longer support your team.
In the real world, the day Steph awoke at 9 a.m. to begin his Ustream show, Kobe Bryant probably awoke at the same time, even if it was 6 a.m. in California, and lifted weights.
Aonex

Postby gill on Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:01 pm

Pull an 04-05 season... try for like 25 games in then sit Kobe due to injuries and tank the rest of the way :man12:
gill

Postby noobiew on Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:51 pm

Yes we have no choice but to tank, with our future franchise player Dwight Howard gone due to the stubbornness of Jim Bust, and our senior citizens Kobe, Pau and Nash will all likely miss half of the next season due to health issue, there is only one choice to us which is to rebuild, follow the path of Boston Celtics to tank hard for Andrew Wiggins next season will be the wise choice.

Tank for Andrew Wiggins (or Jabari Parker)
Last edited by noobiew on Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Jordan : "My Chicago team are the all-time greatest"
Magic Johnson : "Put me with Kareem, James Worthy, Cooper and Byron Scott, and we'd dominate your Bulls team"
noobiew

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion