Tank Discussion: are we, should we, can we, will we?

Should the Lakers tank and rebuild?

Yes, let's tank and rebuild
63%
No, don't want to waste a year
36%

Total votes : 66

Re: Should Lakers go into full tank mode?

Postby abeer3 on Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:53 pm

are the lakers going to get a TE out of this? if so, they may be able to take on a useful player or two and try to compete. with kobe and pau on board, i'm not sure tanking is a realistic option, or is it becoming of a great franchise. if they lose big, they'll do so trying. but they may have no choice: I mean, look at the roster. earl freaking clark may have been the third best player they had.
abeer3

Postby Center Court on Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:02 pm

to be honest, we don't have to tank. We're going to struggle to make the playoffs.

OKC, SAS, Clips, Houston, MEM, healthy Minny, Denver, GS.

Those 8 are better than enough, far younger, deeper, and healthier. We're all fools to think this team can compete for a ring. Despite my supreme belief in Kobe, this is a new NBA era. I'm not saying let's try and lose, but I think if we are going to struggle to make the playoffs, why no chalk up this season to a L and look for a top 5 pick.

Are we guaranteed anything? Nope. But man, right now is tough.
Center Court

Postby Azndude2190 on Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:07 pm

The 2013-2014 season will be bad for us no matter if we intentionally lose games or not. So really in terms of the 2014 draft, the difference is tanking to get a pick from 1-5 and trying to win, but failing,and getting a pick from 6-14. Either way, considering this draft is very deep, I think we can nab a very good player next summer.
A deep man, believes that the evil eye can wither, that the heart's blessing can heal, and that love can overcome all odds.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Azndude2190

Postby DarthRekal on Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:10 pm

according to the what now thread.. we really have no choice :jam2:
Lakers Motto: HOF Guards, We MAKE 'Em... HOF Centers, We TAKE 'Em

DarthRekal
Cookie Monster

Postby Finwë on Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:17 pm

Center Court wrote:to be honest, we don't have to tank. We're going to struggle to make the playoffs.

OKC, SAS, Clips, Houston, MEM, healthy Minny, Denver, GS.

Those 8 are better than enough, far younger, deeper, and healthier. We're all fools to think this team can compete for a ring. Despite my supreme belief in Kobe, this is a new NBA era. I'm not saying let's try and lose, but I think if we are going to struggle to make the playoffs, why no chalk up this season to a L and look for a top 5 pick.

Are we guaranteed anything? Nope. But man, right now is tough.

Pelicans have a good team, Portland could win some games with Lillard/Batum/LMA as their core players..

I think there's not much we can do to avoid missing the playoffs this season. Which might not be terrible considering that we're not winning ish with this team, but I do feel bad about it, because I know Kobe and Nash and even Pau will try to win..
But we start rebuilding, and next year we can really go for it
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby noobiew on Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:49 pm

We are gonna be very bad next season, we lost Dwight and Clark, other FA's doesn't want to sign with us as we could only offer them mmle and vet min contract, there is no chance we can improved our roster for next season anyhow.

Kobe will be coming back from major surgery for his 18th Season.
Nash will be 40
Gasol is fragile and a year older
The Lakers have the worst coach in Mike D'Antoni

We will be bad next season, it's time to follow Boston Celtics path to tank for Andrew Wiggins together (or Jabari Parker)
Michael Jordan : "My Chicago team are the all-time greatest"
Magic Johnson : "Put me with Kareem, James Worthy, Cooper and Byron Scott, and we'd dominate your Bulls team"
noobiew

Postby karacha on Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:52 pm

No. We should simply rest Kobe as much as possible, and it will just so happen that the Lakers will suck next season. At least this will give us an opportunity to develop Sacre. :man1:
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby Snake Eyes on Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:08 pm

Hell no!!! The Lakers don't tank. We are a great and storied franchise. We don't try to lose games, plain and simple. We aren't the Wizards, Raptors, or Bobcats. If we are so bad to get the number 1 overall pick, then so be it. But we don't freaking tank.

You play to win the game.
Snake Eyes

Postby nba2k14 on Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:19 pm

You tank to say [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] you to the rest of the NBA, especially to Mr. Stein.

You tank by amnesty some player to get under the luxury tax to say [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] you to the rest of the NBA small market team trying to piggyback on the Lakers success.

And most importantly, you tank to get a cornerstone player that you can proudly developed and turn him into a Lakers legend. Welcome to the Andrew Wiggins' boat. Who is WITH ME?!! :bow: :bow:
nba2k14

Postby KBJelleyBean24 on Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:54 am

Okay at the expense of sounding like a crazy conspiracy theorist, isn't it possible that the Laker front office wanted this all along? Think about it. All the "incompetent" moves such as hiring Antoni over Phil, bringing in a system the COMPLETE OPPOSITE of what we should actually be running. Then not even involving Phil in any way shape or form withe the front office, even as an advisor, even though they knew Dwight wanted Phil there. What if they wanted a way of getting under the tax in order to reset the luxury tax, the obvious way would be by removing 3 max contracts, or in the Lakes' case, one very large contract in kobe and another max in the form of a Dwight Howard. Us fans would be up in arms over the mere POSSIBILITY of doing this a year ago, and yet here we are, a year encouraging the team that we all love so much, to concede a season. Put yourself in Mitch and Jim's shoes, what would be better, absolutely nobody on the books in 2014 other than an aging Steve Nash and no guarantee that a free agent will sign with us, or a possibility to roll the dice on getting a top draft pick and cap space? It's a brilliant move if you think about it, the Lakers dodge a major PR bullet by having an excuse to tank, shifting the blame over to a man-child player and bumbling head coach and save a ton of money this season.
I should get an assist for that. It's an intentional pass to oneself, so it's an assist. That way people can't say all I do is shoot.
-Kobe on passing the ball to himself off the backboard.
KBJelleyBean24

Postby lakersyunowin on Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:58 am

KBJelleyBean24 wrote:Okay at the expense of sounding like a crazy conspiracy theorist, isn't it possible that the Laker front office wanted this all along? Think about it. All the "incompetent" moves such as hiring Antoni over Phil, bringing in a system the COMPLETE OPPOSITE of what we should actually be running. Then not even involving Phil in any way shape or form withe the front office, even as an advisor, even though they knew Dwight wanted Phil there. What if they wanted a way of getting under the tax in order to reset the luxury tax, the obvious way would be by removing 3 max contracts, or in the Lakes' case, one very large contract in kobe and another max in the form of a Dwight Howard. Us fans would be up in arms over the mere POSSIBILITY of doing this a year ago, and yet here we are, a year encouraging the team that we all love so much, to concede a season. Put yourself in Mitch and Jim's shoes, what would be better, absolutely nobody on the books in 2014 other than an aging Steve Nash and no guarantee that a free agent will sign with us, or a possibility to roll the dice on getting a top draft pick and cap space? It's a brilliant move if you think about it, the Lakers dodge a major PR bullet by having an excuse to tank, shifting the blame over to a man-child player and bumbling head coach and save a ton of money this season.

why even go for dwight after the cp3 trade fell through then? i think they tried to reestablish the organization as elite by doing a cp3/kobe/dwight lineup. cp3 fell through, they tried to recover with nash. it failed. i don't think there were any machinations at work here. just bad luck and a little incompetence.
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby paperplanes on Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:42 am

Besides for the fact that the 2014 free agents will not be as good as everyone thinks it will be, there will be 4/5 other teams with a ton of cap space throwing money around at the same time. I know we like to think LA is more desirable of a destination, but look at D12.
2014 is full of restricted free agents and hoping lebron, melo, wade opt out. All of which are pipe dream.
We have to build through draft and trades, most likely Pau right before the trade deadline to a contending team and nash to toronto/ny for pieces/picks.
Try and get a balanced team with a all-star besides kobe.
2015 maybe get a shot at kevin love,
paperplanes

Postby gill on Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:51 am

"full tank" mode? Isn't gas expensive in California? That would eat up the chunk of the MMLE!
gill

Postby 432J on Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:01 am

i don't understand why you guys think tanking will get us a top 3 pick in the draft

think about it. teams like the bobcats, kings, magic, cavs, etc are probably gonna be alot worse than the lakers are gonna be. there's no way in hell we'll be guaranteed the #1 or #2 pick overall
432J

Postby kennygee90 on Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:09 am

IMHO I think the main reason D'antoni wasn't fired is cause the Lakers knew that Howard had already made up his mind up to leave so there was no point in firing him..I hope we get the #1 draft pick next year, cause I want that kid Wiggins here
kennygee90

Postby therealdeal on Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:10 am

kennygee90 wrote:IMHO I think the main reason D'antoni wasn't fired is cause the Lakers knew that Howard had already made up his mind up to leave so there was no point in firing him..I hope we get the #1 draft pick next year, cause I want that kid Wiggins here

Nailed it.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby GNC on Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:12 am

432J wrote:i don't understand why you guys think tanking will get us a top 3 pick in the draft

think about it. teams like the bobcats, kings, magic, cavs, etc are probably gonna be alot worse than the lakers are gonna be. there's no way in hell we'll be guaranteed the #1 or #2 pick overall

And that is our dilema. Good enough to win some games and miss out on the lottery but not good enough to make any noise.
GNC

Postby wcsoldier81 on Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:17 am

kennygee90 wrote:IMHO I think the main reason D'antoni wasn't fired is cause the Lakers knew that Howard had already made up his mind up to leave so there was no point in firing him..I hope we get the #1 draft pick next year, cause I want that kid Wiggins here

there is no point to keep a bad coach , D12 or not ... doesn't matter for 2013-2014 but going at free agents the next summer with MDA as a coach isn't very attractive , even if it's ( hopefully ) just for one season
wcsoldier81

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:20 am

I don't know about tanking. I think with a couple of additions we'll sneak into the PO's; probably be bounced out in the 1st round, IMO. At least we'll have a 1st in a relatively deep draft, though. Our ability to have that 1st, have cap flexibility and the ability to finally take back contracts in trades with players that we want here is an ideal situation. We'll be fine.
dwighthowardsdad

Postby halekulani on Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:37 am

DarthRekal wrote:all aboard :jam2:

i'm up for it
i know kobe isn't, but he should def use the year to generate a chemistry between nash, pau, and himself. i don't think they should "tank" aka sit out of games. i think they should experiment what plays, what lineups, etc work on the floor. if the lakers still manage to get a top 10 pick and get new contracts at less than maximums, we're back in the game for a 2015 championship.
halekulani

Postby snackdaddy on Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:44 am

In the words of Herman Edwards: "You play to win the game". Build the best possible team for next season without sacrificing the future. See where it takes you.
snackdaddy

Postby Center Court on Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:08 pm

I know the thought of tanking is completely un-laktriotic, but but's be honest, there is no better opportunity to rebuild quickly and effectively than the opportunity right in front of us.

It's frightening to think that we may be at a franchise low point and things don't seem to be moving forward. Jim Buss, MDA, no Phil, Dr. Buss gone, Kobe at the end of his career, etc. However, this is our time to rise.

Let's say we stroll out with a lineup of Kobe/Pau/Nash/Hill/Meeks/Blake and whatever else we sign. How much are we going to accomplish? I can name 8 teams that are easily better than us. Most are significantly better coached, more talented, younger, and deeper: Houston, SAS, GS, Denver, GS, Memphis, Clippers, Minnesota (if healthy). If Dallas signs Bynum and can continue to pick up free agents, they'd be a better team. Portland and Pelicans could really make a playoff push. Best case, we are a team full of motivated vets and make it to the 6th seed and at best make the second round. Sounds pipedream. Realistically, we're fighting to clinch the 8th spot. Either way, we're swept round one. In that case, we lose our pick to PHX and have no means to add good young talent in the most loaded draft since 2004. Merely having cap space is not going to be enough: there is no 5 superstars on the market ala 2010, let alone 2 like this summer had.

Everyone knows the best to rebuild is drafting that young superstar and build around him. Cle did it with LeBron and OKC did it with KD. 18 years ago Lakers did it with Kobe. However, we don’t have to go the OKC model and suck for 3 years of consecutive lotto picks: we can follow our own model and draft our future HOF and sign our next Shaq in the prime of his career. That is the beauty of our situation: we have the cap space to do so.

Tanking will get us there. Like I said and everyone mentions, this draft is off the charts. Anyone in the top 10 is a Chris Bosh. Wiggins may be the thorn in KD’s side for the next decade. Parker, Randle, Gordon, etc. I hate the idea, but I think it’s a necessary evil. Draft a superstar young player, add 2 established star players and we’re back in the hunt for the next decade. It may take 1 horrid season, but it’s our best route.

I was confused as to who is actually a free agent in 2014 that we can actually sign and outside fo LeBron (who is on the new east coast Lakers) and Melo, there is not too much. But here is a list…

http://www.hoopsworld.com/2014-nba-free-agents

Not much really. With Dwight, we’d have that guy. Without Dwight, we need to draft that guy. Free agency can be the sole avenue to greatness… unless we want to wait til 2015.
Center Court

Postby purp n gold on Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:49 pm

I do agree tanking is very un-Laker-like, but I'll just say this - the "lottery balls" tend to reward teams in despair, especially when a superstar leaves them...

We need to get in the lottery. Stern knows he still owes us and he'll have Adam Silver give us Wiggins.
There are two teams that play in the Staples Center:
the LA Lakers and NBA Clippers.
purp n gold

Postby lakersin4 on Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:05 pm

Only way we "tank" is if Kobe suffers a setback or just isn't the same player when he comes back..
lakersin4

Postby strategos on Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:32 pm

puffyusaf#2 wrote:This is not intended as an attack on the OP specifically.............

I'm sorry I am insulted to even have fans of this team to ask such a question. Modern day NBA fans have no faith in teams and all faith in individuals. I have been a Lakers fan since Magic was drafted and have never once thought the season was a loss so much so to think we should tank. The sheer question is beyond my understanding. Call me a homer. I can live with that. I don't think this is a Championship team especially now with so much work to do but no way in hell would I say the Lakers lose for some kid in college. I'll take the fans of the old days who rode with a team no matter what and supported them. Maybe Dwight needs to take some folks with him to Houston. (Again, this isn't a personal attack on the OP but more my opinion in general to the question of us tanking)

QFT

I can't believe so many people voted for tanking... We cannot contend each year, you want to cheat to rebuild faster?! I would lose all respect for the players, management and everybody involved. If I se guys like Kobe, Nash or Pau tank, this is going to be my last year not only as a Lakers fan but as a basketball fan in general.

BTW, MDA as HC with this roster pretty much equals tanking.
strategos

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion