Tank Discussion: are we, should we, can we, will we?

Should the Lakers tank and rebuild?

Yes, let's tank and rebuild
63%
No, don't want to waste a year
36%

Total votes : 66

Re: Should Lakers go into full tank mode?

Postby Kou on Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:02 pm

Our team does not tank, nor would I ever want it to, leave that to lesser franchises.
NBA 2k9 team:

Fisher/Rose/Watson
Bryant/Wells
Lee/Ariza/Walton
Gasol/Yi
Bynum/Zo
Kou

Postby bumrusherer on Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:07 pm

I would. This is the first time in a long time that we are faced with not having a superstar somewhere near his prime.

It's unrealistic to this that this current core can turn back the clock when all 3 have been and currently are riddled with injury.

We have had a lot of winning over the years, one really bad year won't be too hard to take.
bumrusherer

Postby Lakerjones on Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:35 pm

I don't see that it's going to be a choice. We ARE going to tank because we don't have a very good squad and our division rivals improved. We're going to be pretty rough. I think we'll be lucky to win 30 games. No, I'm not kidding. We are poised to be one of the worst defensive teams in the league. :disagree:
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby KB24 on Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:39 pm

Without any meaningful picks, what do you mean by "tank"?

We won't have any benefits so why would we screw the franchise's image and history?

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby Aonex on Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:40 pm

Don't we have our 1st round pick next year?
In the real world, the day Steph awoke at 9 a.m. to begin his Ustream show, Kobe Bryant probably awoke at the same time, even if it was 6 a.m. in California, and lifted weights.
Aonex

Postby S.R.05 on Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:47 pm

Aonex wrote:Don't we have our 1st round pick next year?

according to this page we have our own as well as dallas', if it's not top 20

http://www.prosportstransactions.com/ba ... Lakers.htm
Hindsight is 20/20
S.R.05
Clublakers Analyst

Postby Psychobroker on Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:49 pm

karacha wrote:No. We should simply rest Kobe as much as possible, and it will just so happen that the Lakers will suck next season. At least this will give us an opportunity to develop Sacre. :man1:

This (not sure about Sacre's ceiling tho :man1:) .. we don't intentionally try to miss the playoffs.. that's ridiculous, lame, and unbecoming of a shred of honor. It's akin to cheating, because the goal is to increase a teams chances in the lottery... I can't even fathom the idea of slapping your entire fanbase in the mouth - DECADES of fans and DECADES of memories, with NUMEROUS hall of famers - for a chance at ONE player? hell no. Give me Kobe + 4 guys that will play hard every night and I'm not going anywhere. If the Lakers start to obviously tank, they WILL lose fans - including me.
“Liberty cannot be preserved without a general knowledge among the people.”
- John Adams
"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. "
- Thomas Jefferson
"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."
- Mark Twain
Psychobroker

Postby nba2k14 on Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:34 am

This is the time for the Lakers FO to wake up and BE HONEST with the players on the team. Tell them you want to go the rebuild route and promise Nash/Pau that if they don't want to stick around for a quick rebuild, they are free to go. The Lakers will then try to trade them to a good spot so they can contend. A team like the Warriors, Spurs, or even Miami will love to have Nash/Pau.
nba2k14

Postby JSM on Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:16 pm

No. This is too proud and storied of a franchise to go out and tank. Not to mention, no way in hell you get Kobe on board with such a plan.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby Azndude2190 on Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:51 pm

So many honorable people in this thread :man11:
A deep man, believes that the evil eye can wither, that the heart's blessing can heal, and that love can overcome all odds.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Azndude2190

Postby The Rock on Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:23 pm

Spin job has started already in convincing fans its ok to tank. Im on board

http://espn.go.com/blog/los-angeleslakers/post?id=36836

“Should Dwight leave, we’ll have a Plan B,” Kupchak said the night of the draft, about a week before L.A. learned Howard would indeed be bolting for the Rockets. “It’s not going to be as good as Plan A. But we do have a plan that goes beyond one year.”

“It is a system. It’s not like there are no rules in the NBA,” he said. “There is a system that is in place that provides the team that does the worst [to get] the best picks. If you have good teams with good players, then the players have to be paid well. That puts you into an environment where you don’t have free-agent money and you can’t use exceptions. It’s hard to replenish that team.

“At the same time, the players get older. It’s a natural cycle that you have to live with, but you plan the best for opportunities. That’s not to say there won’t be a two- or three-year [rebuilding] period like there was in the early '90s. But if there was, we feel like it would be short-lived.”

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:26 pm

The Lakers aren't tanking. However, they are not going to be a really good team this year which should net us a top 15 pick at the very least, IMO.
dwighthowardsdad

Postby FabFourLakers on Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:32 pm

Interesting...Dallas could give their pick to us but unfortunately they're gonna suck thsi year too so I doubt they will have a pick that is after the 20th pick....my guess is they'll probably be in the lotto this year or they'll be in the 15th/16th range.
FabFourLakers

Postby The Rock on Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:34 pm

dwighthowardsdad wrote:The Lakers aren't tanking. However, they are not going to be a really good team this year which should net us a top 15 pick at the very least, IMO.

lol they dont even have to try. Look at the roster, man

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:39 pm

The Rock wrote:
dwighthowardsdad wrote:The Lakers aren't tanking. However, they are not going to be a really good team this year which should net us a top 15 pick at the very least, IMO.

lol they dont even have to try. Look at the roster, man

That's my point. We're going after a bunch of castoffs on 1 year deals who won't be here in 2014-2015. It's no secret.
dwighthowardsdad

Postby Kangaroo Grandkid on Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:27 pm

Depends on what you mean by "tank." Do you mean like the 1919 Black Sox and intentionally lose games? No.

But look at the situation. We have no money to spend to bring in even average FAs. We have multiple holes. Kobe will be back in mid-season and won't be at top form anyway. We have other players that are old and decaying.

So what's the solution?

In part...Play the starters on reduced minutes. Big time limit Kobe's minutes. Start him at ~20 min and bring him up to ~33 min. He should not be going full tilt so soon after such a severe injury. The other old-timers will also benefit from a more relaxed schedule. When you can, trade Pau and Nash for picks and kids. Let the kids play. It's good for them to develop.

Regardless of whether we get the band back together or not, encourage MDA to let them play street ball. It's what his system does anyway. We know the season is lost, so they may as well have fun doing it and be fun to watch.

In the end, the team is top 10 bad no matter what.
Kangaroo Grandkid

Postby Fly Like A Mosquito Bite on Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:25 pm

Of course no player or coach is going to intentionally lose games. It starts with management deciding to trade veterans for picks and young players in hopes of drafting or developing a star.
Fly Like A Mosquito Bite

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:27 pm

Fly Like A Mosquito Bite wrote:Of course no player or coach is going to intentionally lose games. It starts with management deciding to trade veterans for picks and young players in hopes of drafting or developing a star.

You said TANK which is intentionally losing games. Your second sentence is rebuilding. Which are you asking about?
I don't always bring down the hammer but when I do it is usually to a troll! Stay TROLL FREE my freinds!
puffyusaf#2
Clublakers Moderator

Postby The Rock on Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:03 pm

By the way MDA is a perfect coach if you want to tank, he'll pump up the offensive stats of our guys. Im looking for Nash to have a big big year, hope he stays healthy, sits out every other day or something to help him through the season

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby noobiew on Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:49 pm

Kou wrote:Our team does not tank, nor would I ever want it to, leave that to lesser franchises.

Yes the Lakers aren't intentionally tanking but i don't think we would win more than 40 games so it's doesn't really matter because we're likely lottery bound.

C - Pau, Kaman, Sarce
PF - Hill, Kelly
SF - ?
SG - Kobe, Morris
PG - Nash, Blake
Michael Jordan : "My Chicago team are the all-time greatest"
Magic Johnson : "Put me with Kareem, James Worthy, Cooper and Byron Scott, and we'd dominate your Bulls team"
noobiew

Postby LakerJack on Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:03 pm

noobiew wrote:
Kou wrote:Our team does not tank, nor would I ever want it to, leave that to lesser franchises.

Yes the Lakers aren't intentionally tanking but i don't think we would win more than 40 games so it's doesn't really matter because we're likely lottery bound.

C - Pau, Kaman, Sarce
PF - Hill, Kelly
SF - ?
SG - Kobe, Morris
PG - Nash, Blake

Is Morris still a Laker?

No way Kelly can play the 4 in the NBA. So if the Lakers have a 13 man roster and Kobe starts on the DL they need 6 more guys. A power forwd, 2 small fwds, 2 shooting guards and a pt guard. Do they go with one year contracts for young guys and try to build bench for the future or veterans to try to be competitive?
Any ideas on who fills out the roster? Realistic only please.
All time Lakers team: Magic, Kobe, West, Worthy and Chamberlain.
LakerJack

Postby Lakerjones on Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:08 pm

Yeah, practical question at this point - if Ron Ron is amnestied who in the world is going to play SF for us? We have no one at that position. Not even backup 3.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby noobiew on Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:56 pm

LakerJack wrote:
noobiew wrote:

C - Pau, Kaman, Sarce
PF - Hill, Kelly
SF - ?
SG - Kobe, Morris
PG - Nash, Blake

Is Morris still a Laker?

No way Kelly can play the 4 in the NBA. So if the Lakers have a 13 man roster and Kobe starts on the DL they need 6 more guys. A power forwd, 2 small fwds, 2 shooting guards and a pt guard. Do they go with one year contracts for young guys and try to build bench for the future or veterans to try to be competitive?
Any ideas on who fills out the roster? Realistic only please.

Damn, It's a typo error for me, I am actually meant Meeks not Morris :man10: Don't think Morris is still a Laker as for now.

Yes, we have ton of roster spots open and we literally need to sign players to fill in for every positions except the 5 spot, all this is with vet min contract only ! :man4:
Magic Johnson : "Put me with Kareem, James Worthy, Cooper and Byron Scott, and we'd dominate your Bulls team"
noobiew

Postby noobiew on Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:02 am

Lakerjones wrote:Yeah, practical question at this point - if Ron Ron is amnestied who in the world is going to play SF for us? We have no one at that position. Not even backup 3.

The best that I could think of a SF that willing to play for vet min and start for us at SF spot is Chris Douglas-Roberts, maybe the Lakers need to reconsider and give him a look again.
noobiew

Postby Nashty Gal on Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:08 am

I guess we are
The Black Mamba and the White Swan
Kobe on talk with Pau about being more aggressive, "it's against his nature, he's always very nice, very white swan, I need him to be black swan"

http://www.thesexysaxman.com
Nashty Gal

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion