Rebuild Rhetoric: Randle = Step #1, Step #2 = Lin, #3?

Re: Am I the only one that wants to tank?

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:44 pm

we're talking about expanded universe
"Allons-y Lakers!"
User avatar
KareemTheGreat33

 
Posts: 7820
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2004 2:52 am
Location: Philippines

Re: Am I the only one that wants to tank?

Postby CarFlagChris on Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:06 pm

last stand wrote:We are unintentionally tanking, the best kind


Yes, the way it is going, the Lakers may not win another game this season.
We may "beat" out some of those terrible teams in the East.
WE WANT PHIL!! WE WANT PHIL!! WE WANT PHIL!!
User avatar
CarFlagChris

 
Posts: 494
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:46 pm

Re: Am I the only one that wants to tank?

Postby Quik Z06 on Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:23 am

I don't see why people are against it, this team is going nowhere with Kobe or without! Look, I've been a laker fan since the mid 80's and we've had some bad teams, but these guys rank right up there with the worst. If we can get a high pick and a potential "franchise" player or a really good young athletic player what's not to like? I lol at people thinking we should make the playoffs...for what? To just get beat in the first round and have a crappy pick. I understand the whole prestige etc, trust me, I'm a diehard fan, but we need to move forward and getting a high pick would help.
Quik Z06

 
Posts: 180
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:47 am
Location: Cen CA

Re: Am I the only one that wants to tank?

Postby earvinfr on Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:32 am

We all want Kobe to play but his injury might help us. Remember the Spurs with David Robinson injury which got them Tim Duncan !
Offseason's finished for my long sleeping nights. NBA is back !!
earvinfr

 
Posts: 2312
Joined: Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:27 pm
Location: France

Re: Am I the only one that wants to tank?

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:42 am

wishful thinking, all we have now :man6:
"Allons-y Lakers!"
User avatar
KareemTheGreat33

 
Posts: 7820
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2004 2:52 am
Location: Philippines

Re: Am I the only one that wants to tank?

Postby Snakell Beast on Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:57 pm

you're not going 1st round picks for kaman, meeks, nash, blake or johnson.


Firstly, I never said trade, but I did mean that was a possibility...I don't know why you would try to put words in my mouth in regards to getting a first rounder for any of them...but also, even a second round pick (or just cutting them in the case of Nash) accomplishes our objective.

They are all good, solid bench pieces for playoff teams, and they aren't a fit for us long term...even getting second rounders for them is a huge win IMHO, especially since it improves our draft lottery position in the deepest draft in many years AND positions us under the cap going forward.

but essentially you'd like to waive any player we have that is decent and start kendall marshall, some guy from the local ymca, and a few random guys we can sign from the chinese basketball league?


Why not? We're already headed in that direction with a bloated roster anyway...Milwaukee was the CLEAR CUT better team IN OUR BUILDING. We are not winning more than 8-10 more games all year with this roster. Dumping everyone of short term value that doesn't fit in long term not ONLY gives us more flexibility (and avoids the repeater tax as well) but it also allows Kobe to rest up for next season, and positions the team to rack up extra picks in a deep draft coming up.
The End is nigh. Time for a total Cut and Shuffle. Kobe contract was a mistake...time to avoid making more. The future is here, whether we want it to be or not. An era is over, but for the death rattle, and it's time for the cycle to begin anew. Growth and change are scary and painful, but alas...nothing worth achieving comes easily.
User avatar
Snakell Beast

 
Posts: 2056
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2003 8:54 pm
Location: Ithaca, NY

Re: Am I the only one that wants to tank?

Postby Dfishman on Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:39 pm

I think it's silly to question someone's fandom one here simply because he/she wants the team to tank.

First of all, anyone who posts here is taking time out of his day (in some cases, OBSESSIVELY) to come onto an internet chat room to talk about the Lakers. I really don't think you have to question the commitment and dedication of anyone who comes here. This is a place for people who clearly care quite a bit about the team. This isn't the line for the bathroom at a sports bar.

Second, you need to accept that those of us who want the team to tank feel the way we do specifically because we love the team and want it to get better. I can't speak for everyone here, but I am of the mind that tanking is really our only shot at getting good in the relatively near future. The new CBA, Kobe's contract and some of the other forces out of our control are gonna make it near impossible to surround Kobe with quality talent…and I'd really love to see him get his sixth ring.

This coming draft is unique in that a) it's loaded with talent and b) it's the only one in which we have a viable first round pick. Meanwhile, it's not like this team has a shot of winning a playoff series this year and that's assuming they even make the playoffs which they likely won't.

I totally understand why anybody would be against tanking. When I watch the games, I find it impossible to root against the team, especially considering how we have some really exciting young talent on our roster with major upsides. Also, we're the Lakers and it's not in our DNA to tank and/or miss the playoffs.

So, if you're opposed to tanking, I get that and I respect that. And if you don't think it's the best move going forward for this team, so be it. Just don't question the loyalty or fandom of those of us who support the tank strategy. It's not because we don't love the team. It's BECAUSE we love the team.
User avatar
Dfishman

 
Posts: 473
Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:43 pm

Re: Am I the only one that wants to tank?

Postby Damian Necronamous on Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:43 pm

I still don't understand why Cleveland has yet to deal us Bynum, Clark, Zeller and Orlando's second rounder for Gasol and Sacre. Just do that damn trade already!

That easily makes Cleveland the 3rd best team in the East.
Damian Necronamous

 
Posts: 766
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2005 6:35 pm

Re: Am I the only one that wants to tank?

Postby Azndude2190 on Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:22 pm

Dfishman wrote:I think it's silly to question someone's fandom one here simply because he/she wants the team to tank.

First of all, anyone who posts here is taking time out of his day (in some cases, OBSESSIVELY) to come onto an internet chat room to talk about the Lakers. I really don't think you have to question the commitment and dedication of anyone who comes here. This is a place for people who clearly care quite a bit about the team. This isn't the line for the bathroom at a sports bar.

Second, you need to accept that those of us who want the team to tank feel the way we do specifically because we love the team and want it to get better. I can't speak for everyone here, but I am of the mind that tanking is really our only shot at getting good in the relatively near future. The new CBA, Kobe's contract and some of the other forces out of our control are gonna make it near impossible to surround Kobe with quality talent…and I'd really love to see him get his sixth ring.

This coming draft is unique in that a) it's loaded with talent and b) it's the only one in which we have a viable first round pick. Meanwhile, it's not like this team has a shot of winning a playoff series this year and that's assuming they even make the playoffs which they likely won't.

I totally understand why anybody would be against tanking. When I watch the games, I find it impossible to root against the team, especially considering how we have some really exciting young talent on our roster with major upsides. Also, we're the Lakers and it's not in our DNA to tank and/or miss the playoffs.

So, if you're opposed to tanking, I get that and I respect that. And if you don't think it's the best move going forward for this team, so be it. Just don't question the loyalty or fandom of those of us who support the tank strategy. It's not because we don't love the team. It's BECAUSE we love the team.


We won't need to deliberately lose to get a lottery pick, we're losing with a roster that lacks talent and is decimated by injuries.

But I do agree, I don't think people in the pro-tank camp are insidious and have some ulterior motive. If you say you're a fan, you're a fan, plain and simple.
A deep man, believes that the evil eye can wither, that the heart's blessing can heal, and that love can overcome all odds.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson
User avatar
Azndude2190

 
Posts: 5529
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2005 10:23 am
Location: San Francisco, CA

Re: Am I the only one that wants to tank?

Postby Weezy on Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:44 pm

I cannot actively root for my team to lose, it's just not in me. If you can I do not consider you less of a fan, I'm just not able to do it. So do I WANT us to tank, no I can't root for us to lose, if I'm tuned into a game I do not have that ability. I do think it's going to come naturally with this roster though, and that it will be best for us going forward getting a good draft pick and getting Kobe offseason rest instead of playing in any extra playoff games if by some miracle that happened. So no I don't want to "tank", but I do think in the long run losing and missing the playoffs is better than winning and getting a first round exit and a late first round pick. If Pau is not traded it also might be a wake up call for the FO to not bring him back next season no matter how cheap and to realize it's time to move on to a new "core".
User avatar
Weezy
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 50912
Joined: Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:14 am
Location: Anaheim, CA

Re: Am I the only one that wants to tank?

Postby Quik Z06 on Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:56 pm

Weezy wrote:I cannot actively root for my team to lose, it's just not in me. If you can I do not consider you less of a fan, I'm just not able to do it. So do I WANT us to tank, no I can't root for us to lose, if I'm tuned into a game I do not have that ability. I do think it's going to come naturally with this roster though, and that it will be best for us going forward getting a good draft pick and getting Kobe offseason rest instead of playing in any extra playoff games if by some miracle that happened. So no I don't want to "tank", but I do think in the long run losing and missing the playoffs is better than winning and getting a first round exit and a late first round pick. If Pau is not traded it also might be a wake up call for the FO to not bring him back next season no matter how cheap and to realize it's time to move on to a new "core".


I agree, I don't watch and root for them to lose, I could never do that no matter how bad they are. With that said though, I wouldn't care if they didn't win another game all year at this point.
Quik Z06

 
Posts: 180
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:47 am
Location: Cen CA

Re: Am I the only one that wants to tank?

Postby halekulani on Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:01 pm

with the amount of injuries we have this season
tanking is basically the only option. even if we tried our hardest, it would still be unintentional tanking. i just can't see the lakers winning in the long run if d'antoni's style is wearing them out this early

dallas is like 6 games above .500 in the 8th spot
User avatar
halekulani

 
Posts: 8770
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:35 pm

Re: Am I the only one that wants to tank?

Postby Center Court on Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:41 pm

I don't want to tank and I don't like to lose. I'm still rooting for us to win every game BUT I do understand that it's a neccesary evil and our best option to really accelerate this rebuild. Adding Embiid, Wiggins, Parker, Smart, Exum, Gordon, Vonleh etc could turn this franchise around right away. Maybe not in the way Bron did Cle but I do think we could have an all star on our hands within a couple years.

That's an all star who we don't have to pay as an all star which allows us to go get other guys in free agency. It took OKC years of drafting to get what they had (pre-Harden trade). We could draft our Durant then go sign our Durant and Love.
User avatar
Center Court

 
Posts: 3138
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:45 pm
Location: @ CL since '04

Re: Am I the only one that wants to tank?

Postby wcsoldier81 on Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:41 am

I'm fine with losing as many games as possible because it will give us a better chance to become relevant again in the near future ... sorry if I'm not excited by 7th spots and 1st round exits ... championship or bust ,there is no middle ground when it comes to our team success

It's crazy how some fans and the organization don't seem to fully understand that just because it's not in line with our "tradition" ...
wcsoldier81

 
Posts: 6418
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:20 am

Re: Am I the only one that wants to tank?

Postby easyguy on Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:19 am

Center Court wrote:
That's an all star who we don't have to pay as an all star which allows us to go get other guys in free agency. It took OKC years of drafting to get what they had (pre-Harden trade). We could draft our Durant then go sign our Durant and Love.



That is if, we dont over pay players anymore. I'm hoping Kobe over-paid contract is the last until our next SUPER MEGA star.

I dont mind us tanking, barely anyone watches the Lakers game anymore, my gym used to tune in to every lakers game, not anymore. But my fear is that other teams will suck more than us.
User avatar
easyguy

 
Posts: 754
Joined: Fri May 06, 2011 9:09 pm

Re: Am I the only one that wants to tank?

Postby Azndude2190 on Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:48 am

I don't know, our only legit player left is Nick Young, I think you can make a strong case for the Lakers being in the lottery mix this season. As much as Utah and Sacramento suck, there is a real chance we end up at the very bottom of the Western conference
A deep man, believes that the evil eye can wither, that the heart's blessing can heal, and that love can overcome all odds.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson
User avatar
Azndude2190

 
Posts: 5529
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2005 10:23 am
Location: San Francisco, CA

Re: Am I the only one that wants to tank?

Postby therealdeal on Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:09 am

Azndude2190 wrote:I don't know, our only legit player left is Nick Young, I think you can make a strong case for the Lakers being in the lottery mix this season. As much as Utah and Sacramento suck, there is a real chance we end up at the very bottom of the Western conference

John Ireland made this point recently. Pick the roster with the least talent out of the following:

Kendall Marshall
Jodie Meeks
Nick Young/ Wesley Johnson
Shawne Williams/Ryan Kelly
Chris Kaman/Jordan Hill/Rob Sacre

Trey Burke/Diante Garrett/John Lucas III
Gordon Hayward/Alec Burks/
Richard Jefferson/Jeremy Evans/Brandon Rush
Marvin Williams/Enes Kanter
Derrick Favors/Andris Biedrins/Rudy Gobert

Isiah Thomas/ Jimmer Fredette/ Quincy Acey
Ben McLemore/ Marcus Thornton
Rudy Gay/ Travis Outlaw
Jason Thompson/ Derrick Williams
Demarcus Cousins/ Aaron Gray
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 39967
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: Am I the only one that wants to tank?

Postby Center Court on Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:03 am

easyguy wrote:
Center Court wrote:
That's an all star who we don't have to pay as an all star which allows us to go get other guys in free agency. It took OKC years of drafting to get what they had (pre-Harden trade). We could draft our Durant then go sign our Durant and Love.



That is if, we dont over pay players anymore. I'm hoping Kobe over-paid contract is the last until our next SUPER MEGA star.

I dont mind us tanking, barely anyone watches the Lakers game anymore, my gym used to tune in to every lakers game, not anymore. But my fear is that other teams will suck more than us.



I agree and that's why we can't overpay anymore. I want to keep Swaggy in LA long term and I think we'd have to pay hi annually around $3.5-5 to do so. I'm not sure what his market is because IMO he's got that Nate issue where as good as he is, GM's don't want to pay him. I'd say we should front load his contract this coming season at around for 3/5 the value then spread the rest out over time.

Keep bringing in guys on cheaper 1 year deals and maybe even Deng on a 1 year deal at around 16MM. Then let everyone besides Kobe, our lotto pick, and Nick expire and then sign Love. From there preserve everything for Durant.
User avatar
Center Court

 
Posts: 3138
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:45 pm
Location: @ CL since '04

Re: Am I the only one that wants to tank?

Postby SmoothOperator on Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:42 am

So I'm trying to think realistically here....and I honestly believe this Laker team will probably finish with a top 10 pick...but not a top 5 pick. There's too many bad teams in the East that would out-tank the Lakers. I was looking at a couple of 2014 mock drafts, and lets say the Lakers finish with either the 7th or 8th pick.... who would the Lakers take? Seems like the likely top 5 that we wouldn't be able to obtain (no particular order) would be:

- Andrew Wiggins
- Jabari Parker
- Joel Embiid
- Julius Randle
- Marcus Smart
- Dante Exum (probably 5th or 6th)

Again, having said that by the 7th or 8th pick the players mentioned above are likely already taken, who do the Lakers pick? I think after those players.... it becomes more of a crap shoot where there is a "high bust" probability.
You can't spell LeBlow Image without ELBOW....
User avatar
SmoothOperator

 
Posts: 1085
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2005 1:32 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Am I the only one that wants to tank?

Postby Balance&Options24 on Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:55 am

If we do end up in the lottery which is most likely a giving, I hope somehow we end up with a top 5 pick eventhough we might not suck as much as the East teams that are tanking hard. It would benefit the NBA if we end up with one of the top talents.
If you want to be a hero, you gotta take hero shots -R. Miller
User avatar
Balance&Options24

 
Posts: 1062
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:51 pm

Re: Am I the only one that wants to tank?

Postby Lets Go Lakers on Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:58 am

We are going to get a lottery pick. The real question is what pick we get. There is just no talent on this team and the West is historically strong this year. Of course I would never root for this team to lose cause it goes against my nature but i'm willing to take the hit this year for the best chance at Wiggins. Suffer a little now to gain a ton in the future.
User avatar
Lets Go Lakers

 
Posts: 2746
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:25 pm

Re: Am I the only one that wants to tank?

Postby therealdeal on Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:04 pm

We're actually tied right now with the Celtics for the 10th worst record in the league. Keep in mind though a few things:

1. Not only do we not have a PG, we don't have one due back until close the end of January.
2. If we pull off this Gasol deal, our undisputed best player will be Nick Young.
3. We're at 10th now, but we're only 3 wins better than the Kings and 2 wins better than the Jazz.
4. If we pull off this Gasol deal, we boost the Cavs chances at the playoffs and eliminate them as competitors.
5. Until the end of February when Kobe is supposed to be back, we will have the undisputed worst team in the league.

We have a GREAT shot at landing a top 5 pick looking forward.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 39967
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: Am I the only one that wants to tank?

Postby charvin on Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:55 pm

It may be just me, but I think if we pull off the Gasol deal, Cleveland will actually get worse, IMO. Of course, it depends on what fillers are thrown in to make the salaries match and if they would be silly enough to give us their own 1st Round pick.

The best, most optimal scenario from that situation is the possibility that the Lakers land two picks in the Top 5. That would make the NBA explode and give Stern a nice going away gift.
charvin

 
Posts: 539
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:53 pm

Re: Am I the only one that wants to tank?

Postby Lets Go Lakers on Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:19 pm

The more I think about it, the more I hope we finish with one of the worst records in the league. And we do lack the talent to get there. And hopefully we win the Wiggins sweepstakes and we have our superstar for the next decade. How sweet would that be? And get Love in 2016 and build around them.
User avatar
Lets Go Lakers

 
Posts: 2746
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:25 pm

Re: Am I the only one that wants to tank?

Postby easyguy on Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:31 pm

I've been reading a couples of articles of other teams tanking to get first draft pick. I'm nervous now, even if we want to tank, there are so many professional tankers out there, they have done it years in and years out, they are good at tanking. This would be our first.
User avatar
easyguy

 
Posts: 754
Joined: Fri May 06, 2011 9:09 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], LakersN4, SirJunkyBen, tigerjeterkobe, wolfpaclaker and 22 guests

cron
Advertise Here | Privacy Policy | ©2008 Sculu Sports. Come Strong.