The Exhale...

The Exhale...

Postby King of Clutch on Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:30 pm

After watching the game, being frustrated, and sleeping on it, I think we're all able to exhale and move forward onto the next game. We are also in a better position to gauge what actually works, and what doesn't. Here's my thoughts.

The Princeton: After seeing just how much it held us back, I still say that we need it more than people are realizing. First reason I say this because it has done WONDERS for our bench. The last 2 games dating back to the preseason, our bench has been able to hang with others, and even bring us back from deficits (against both against sacramento). The bench entered in the 2nd quarter and extended a 2 point lead, up to 8 or 9 yesterday. I would HATE to see them not have such a offense to run. The second reason why I say we need this is because of our amount of stars. Now hear me out, come postseason, we need such an offense to fall back on to prevent stagnant ball dominant like play from the likes of dwight, kobe, or even pau.

Now with all that being said, the princeton should NOT be run by the starters more than 40% of the time. I think PnR's, and dwight n kobe post plays, should be run 60% of the time. I think this will eventauly happen. Nash is on the record for saying that he is in a peculiar position of trying to get the princeton going smoothly, yet getting in pnr's. Brown has openly said multiple times that Nash has free reigns on the offense. I just think that Nash being new, doesn't want to look bad coming down court and saying "ef this, i'm running a pnr", while everyone on the team knows that they're trying to get the princeton down. I think once everyone gets used to each other, and they can run princeton pretty effectively, nash would feel comfortable breaking it for more pnr's n playmaking. I don't see this as a big issue.

Now if there's anything that Brown should be bashed for, it has to be the defense. Thats supposedly his forte, and so far we haven't been above average AT ALL. If defense ends up continuing to be an issue, I will have no problem with the talks of a new coach. Because brown isn't even part of the offense. That's Eddie jordan and the system. But if he can't even do what he supposedly does best to an above average level, then yes, he may need to go. The freethrows is something that won't happen everynight, and the turnovers will reduce with continuity. Defense was my only issue in this game, and that's all on Mike Brown. Any thoughts on the game after a few hours of reflection? Please share.....
King of Clutch

Re: The Exhale...

Postby lAKERfaNaticKID on Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:37 pm

I agree with alot of what you say.. another issue I have with mike brown is rotation and playing our starters to many minutes IMO. Hopefully he'll reduce Nash Kobe and even gasols minutes as the season progresses
lAKERfaNaticKID

Postby Chillbongo on Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:21 pm

1) Bad offense leads to bad defense.

2) We have Steve Nash. An offensive system within itself. No stagnant ball/iso plays if we run Steve O.

3) Who says the bench cant continue to run the Princeton once we decide it's a moot point for starters?

4) The coaching staff needs to get their rotations down. And STICK to them. Spot changes are ok once in while for matchup purposes. I have yet to see Mike Brown establish set "rotations" in LA.

5) Mike Brown is the head coach. Don't matter "who's" offense it is. He's the man behind the schemes. His decision.

6) The defense looked good in the 1st quarter. Why? Because our offense was flowing. Good O= Good D. Denver adjusted their defense the rest of the game, causing confusion in our offense which led to our defensive failings. See item 1)
Chillbongo

Postby King of Clutch on Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:39 pm

Chillbongo wrote:1) Bad offense leads to bad defense.

2) We have Steve Nash. An offensive system within itself. No stagnant ball/iso plays if we run Steve O.

3) Who says the bench cant continue to run the Princeton once we decide it's a moot point for starters?

4) The coaching staff needs to get their rotations down. And STICK to them. Spot changes are ok once in while for matchup purposes. I have yet to see Mike Brown establish set "rotations" in LA.

5) Mike Brown is the head coach. Don't matter "who's" offense it is. He's the man behind the schemes. His decision.

6) The defense looked good in the 1st quarter. Why? Because our offense was flowing. Good O= Good D. Denver adjusted their defense the rest of the game, causing confusion in our offense which led to our defensive failings. See item 1)
The defense never looked good. When we were up, it was only by 2 to 6 points. We were merely outscoring them, they scored 25 in the first quarter. And I think we need to break this mentality of offense first. Hopefully the team isn't thinking that way. As talented as this team is, we won't have problems scoring. Doc Rivers realized this in '08, n spoelstra did in 2010 as well. We need to rely on out defense, not offense. If we don't we won't be beating anyone, not even the spurs, because even though we're more talented, they can hang with ANYONE if it becomes an offensive competition...
King of Clutch

Postby Finwë on Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:03 pm

Solid points King of Clutch. I agree with most of what you said.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby karacha on Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:20 pm

Nice post, you make some good points, but is there a reason why this is not in the "Optimistic thread"?
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby raviator on Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:30 pm

King of Clutch wrote: Now with all that being said, the princeton should NOT be run by the starters more than 40% of the time. I think PnR's, and dwight n kobe post plays, should be run 60% of the time. I think this will eventauly happen. Nash is on the record for saying that he is in a peculiar position of trying to get the princeton going smoothly, yet getting in pnr's. Brown has openly said multiple times that Nash has free reigns on the offense. I just think that Nash being new, doesn't want to look bad coming down court and saying "ef this, i'm running a pnr", while everyone on the team knows that they're trying to get the princeton down. I think once everyone gets used to each other, and they can run princeton pretty effectively, nash would feel comfortable breaking it for more pnr's n playmaking. I don't see this as a big issue.

I absolutely agree on this point. I'm really hoping they realize this going forward. Nash is an EXPERT at setting up teammates. Lakers should utilize to the max, maybe like you said fall back on the Princeton once in a while. If Mike Brown is half the coach he think he is, he needs to let Nash be Nash.
raviator

Postby cleverdevil on Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:49 pm

I may be alone on this, but I would actually see the starters run more of the Princeton/Read Option in this early stretch of the season. The PnR will always be there with Steve/Kobe and D12/Pau and Kobe/Pau/Metta can run the "Strong" Triangle sets in their sleep. No doubt Nash has a high enough Bball IQ to pick up the Tri as he goes along. The Princeton can be a fantatic wrinkle come home stretch and playoff time. I would rather this team take the lumps from the learning curve early (and see the crisp ball movement and high % FG opportunites that came from that set the few times that it worked vs Dallas) and see it work at a high clip when we play the OKCs and Miamis come May and June.

Having said that, Brown's rotations still suck. :)
cleverdevil

Return to Lakers Discussion