The Fisher for * Mason Trade!

The Fisher for * Mason Trade!

Postby Coppertop on Mon Jul 14, 2003 12:48 pm

First of all, I'm trying to sort out where these rumors came from, and which Mason we're really talking about. Desmond or Anthony???

The first mention I've seen of either Mason being linked to the Lakers is by one Shaquille O'Neal.
http://www.nytimes.com/2003/07/12/sports/basketball/12ANAL.html?ex=1058587200&en=2124c1b8a6f69cac&ei=5062&partner=GOOGLE

In this article, Shaq talks about adding "meat" to the lineup. But the reporter points out immediately that this signing cannot happen. Anthony would have to come in a trade, because he is not a free agent.

This brings out the point, why do we need Anthony Mason??? We already have an abundance of power forwards, and especially undersized ones. Mason is not a type of player that a run and gun Lakers team would want, nor one the halfcourt offense wants, because Mason is a Barkley type, back it in till I'm under the basket type of player. Besides, the Lakers would have to trade almost 6 mil. in salaries to acquire a guy who they probably don't need AT ALL.

Now, what about Desmond Mason? For the Lakers this makes some sense. He's young, athletic, and provides backcourt depth. But is he the type of player that will thrive in the triangle, especially off the bench? No doubt the trade has its benefits for Milwaukee, they obviously need another point guard. But I have my doubts about whether or not they want to trade their most exciting player, especially since his salary is only 1.8 million next year (hoopshype.com).

A Fisher for D.Mason trade? Fisher makes 3 mil., Mason makes 1.8 mil., so the Bucks would have to throw another player or draft pick into the equation. Nonetheless, would Phil want to get rid of the PG that knows the triangle better than any other in the league? Maybe so. I just don't see the Bucks making this trade because Fisher is not a star by any means, and Mason has the potential to be. Also, the Bucks would have to throw in another player.

Fisher may be on the trading block for sure, since the Lakers told him to come back to LA by Thursday. But whatever happens, I DONT WANT ANTHONY MASON. Give me Roy Tarpley before that guy.
Coppertop

Postby SWOL on Mon Jul 14, 2003 1:04 pm

the Bucks wont give up Mason he is thier nucleus along with Tim Thomas and TJ Ford.......right now they gave up Ray Allen to get D Mason they wont fgive him up.....he is a player when his time comes up he will get 8 to 10 mil. you watch he will av 20ppg this season, if we sign and trade it will be to get more athletic and younger not older and crankier, so niether Mason is coming.....
SWOL
Separated at Birth: Ron Artest

Postby Coppertop on Mon Jul 14, 2003 1:44 pm

If not Desmond Mason, are the Lakers trying to trade Fisher, and if so, for who???
Coppertop

where d-fish might go

Postby laker fan on Mon Jul 14, 2003 1:58 pm

The only thing I have heard about Fish is he might go to Orlando for
gordon giracek or pat garrity. Orlando would also throw in a second round pick or a bench player they don't use much. Personally, I don't do that deal at all.
laker fan

Postby Coppertop on Mon Jul 14, 2003 2:00 pm

Giricek, maybe. Garrity, no way. I still say we keep Fisher unless we get some really good talent in return. Fisher is the best backup PG in the league now I think.
Coppertop

3 point guards?

Postby laker fan on Mon Jul 14, 2003 2:04 pm

I like Fisher as a backup. It seems though we have a clutter full of guards. Guards I like don't get me wrong, but how can we be talking about signing Piakowski when we have Rush, Pargo, Fisher, Payton and Kobe? A trade involving one of them seems inevitable.
laker fan

Postby Coppertop on Mon Jul 14, 2003 2:05 pm

I don't think I've ever heard the Lakers talk about signing Pike, that's all talk by the fans and media. However, I could see them trying to trade Rush, or resort to trading Fish.
Coppertop

who do we trade?

Postby laker opinion on Mon Jul 14, 2003 2:07 pm

Obviously it's Pargo, Fisher or Rush who is going. Am I right? We can't sign Piakowski or any other guard until we decide if one of those guys are going.
laker opinion

Postby Coppertop on Mon Jul 14, 2003 2:32 pm

Oh we can sign Pike. It would be my guess Rush is on his way out if we do sign him.
Coppertop

Postby SWOL on Mon Jul 14, 2003 2:40 pm

do you have a link for that rumor.........sorry guys but that would good trade .... Giricek has a lot of talent and Pat Garity is a decent big man who can hit the outside shot........that is exactly what we need, now if we could throw in fox for D Armstrong then were talkin
SWOL

Postby SWOL on Mon Jul 14, 2003 2:46 pm

Player G GS MPG FG% 3P% FT% OFF DEF TOT APG SPG BPG TO PPG

Pat Garrity 81 53 31.9 .419 .396 .830 .90 2.90 3.80 1.5 .77 .25 .95 10.7
G Giricek 27 27 35.6 .440 .328 .816 .70 4.10 4.80 2.5 1.11 .07 1.89 14.3
Darrell Ar82 23 28.7 .409 .336 .878 1.10 2.50 3.60 3.9 1.65 .16 1.95 9.4
SWOL

Postby SWOL on Mon Jul 14, 2003 2:48 pm

hard to read but the last colum is PPG the 3rd 4th 5th columns are FG% 3PT% and FT%
SWOL

Re: The Fisher for * Mason Trade!

Postby Guest on Mon Jul 14, 2003 6:10 pm

Coppertop wrote:First of all, I'm trying to sort out where these rumors came from, and which Mason we're really talking about. Desmond or Anthony???

The first mention I've seen of either Mason being linked to the Lakers is by one Shaquille O'Neal.
http://www.nytimes.com/2003/07/12/sports/basketball/12ANAL.html?ex=1058587200&en=2124c1b8a6f69cac&ei=5062&partner=GOOGLE

In this article, Shaq talks about adding "meat" to the lineup. But the reporter points out immediately that this signing cannot happen. Anthony would have to come in a trade, because he is not a free agent.

This brings out the point, why do we need Anthony Mason??? We already have an abundance of power forwards, and especially undersized ones. Mason is not a type of player that a run and gun Lakers team would want, nor one the halfcourt offense wants, because Mason is a Barkley type, back it in till I'm under the basket type of player. Besides, the Lakers would have to trade almost 6 mil. in salaries to acquire a guy who they probably don't need AT ALL.

Now, what about Desmond Mason? For the Lakers this makes some sense. He's young, athletic, and provides backcourt depth. But is he the type of player that will thrive in the triangle, especially off the bench? No doubt the trade has its benefits for Milwaukee, they obviously need another point guard. But I have my doubts about whether or not they want to trade their most exciting player, especially since his salary is only 1.8 million next year (hoopshype.com).

A Fisher for D.Mason trade? Fisher makes 3 mil., Mason makes 1.8 mil., so the Bucks would have to throw another player or draft pick into the equation. Nonetheless, would Phil want to get rid of the PG that knows the triangle better than any other in the league? Maybe so. I just don't see the Bucks making this trade because Fisher is not a star by any means, and Mason has the potential to be. Also, the Bucks would have to throw in another player.

Fisher may be on the trading block for sure, since the Lakers told him to come back to LA by Thursday. But whatever happens, I DONT WANT ANTHONY MASON. Give me Roy Tarpley before that guy.

Where did you read the Lakers want Fisher back by Thursday? Please post your sources. If you heard it from some high school kid, that is not a credible source. Please post your sources so we can separate fact from hearsay.

Postby Coppertop on Mon Jul 14, 2003 6:55 pm

First of all, what in my writing makes you think I even talk to high-schoolers:) Secondly, I did not post it because there are other threads in the forum which refer to this article. Here it is again: http://www.nwanews.com/adg/story_Sports.php?storyid=35941

And log on, I don't believe you are a "Guest" :man1:
Coppertop

Postby Danny Ainge on Wed Jul 16, 2003 11:12 am

Yes don't scurred Y'all leave a name :man12:
Danny Ainge

Re: The Fisher for * Mason Trade!

Postby Lakers+Mashburn=Success on Wed Jul 16, 2003 3:11 pm

Submitted by Rytee
Lakers+Mashburn=Success

Derek Fisher for Anthony Mason? Now, I don't really understand why Shaq even uttered a thing like that, but don't you think that with Mason, the Lakers are going to be a hell of a veteran team? Face it, it's Payton, Malone, Mason, Fox, Shaq--who's going to the next veteran recruit--Piatkowski?

Anyways, Mason isn't even a free agent this year. Unless Fisher gets sacked for a guy like Mason would this even work out. However, I do want something for the expense of Fisher. How about Tyronn Lue? Jannero Pargo doesn't seem ready to back up Payton as of yet, as most sophomores are like. Heck, I'd only give Rush 15 minutes a game to back up Kobe this year!

Mason is more like a finesse player to me. He knows the game and he knows how to treat it. His great bulk accounts for his inside scoring and he makes remarkable passes for a big man. He's like a Shaq power forward, without the dominance since he's an old man (37 years old). He's not much of a scorer, and he has an ugly, erratic jumper. He's mainly a post threat, and the Lakers don't need any more power forwards with the addition of Malone nor do they need any more makeshift centers. Madsen, Malone and Medvedenko will be enough, and Horry if he comes back.

Anyways, I wouldn't want Mason for Fisher, unless there's more expense for a point guard. In that case you have to add more to the mix. Scanning several trade possibilities... How about Fisher, Rush and Medvedenko for Anthony Mason and a future first round draft pick? Hopefully, the contracts and the intangibles all match up, but the main point is, with the releasing of several players who don't seem to have a compatible future by any means at all, it allows the Lakers to chase open a point guard like Lue and a shooter, like Lenard or Pike or Jon Barry. I would like Pike here for sure.

Of course, though, the trade above may not work, as like Rush and Medvedenko and Fisher may not be worth enough for many teams. The Lakers could invite a promising talent from the Summer League, hopefully Leon Smith, who seems to have a Al Harrington talent, but with those personal problems. Sean Rooks, Popeye Jones and . He's not much of a scorer, and he has an ugly, erratic jumper. He's mainly a post threat, and the Lakers don't need any more power forwards with the addition of Malone nor do they need any more makeshift centers. [b]Madsen, Malone and Medvedenko will be enough, and Horry if he comes back.

Anyways, I wouldn't want Mason for Fisher, unless there's more expense for a point guard. In that case you have to add more to the mix. Scanning several trade possibilities... How about Fisher, Rush and Medvedenko for Anthony Mason and a future first round draft pick? Hopefully, the contracts and the intangibles all match up, but the main point is, with the releasing of several players who don't seem to have a compatible future by any means at all, it allows the Lakers to chase open a point guard like Lue and a shooter, like Lenard or Pike or Jon Barry. I would like Pike here for sure.

Of course, though, the trade above may not work, as like Rush and Medvedenko and Fisher may not be worth enough for many teams. The Lakers could invite a promising talent from the Summer League, hopefully Leon Smith, who seems to have a Al Harrington talent, but with those personal problems. Sean Rooks, Popeye Jones and Elden Campbell would also be my choice to back up Shaq. Rob Horry and Mark Madsen should also be considerations. L.A. may not need a shooter after all that.

The point is, no Anthony Mason. There's a reason why Shaq likes him, but why didn't Shaq say some other similar names like Eddy Curry and Sofo Schotsianides from Greece? They're both bulked up centers and talented like Shaq, and L.A. may need more young feel. They may have Rush, Pargo, Cook and Walton, and Kobe and Devean and Slava as extras for the young revolution, but please, no AM!!! :mad1: :mad1: :man12: :bang: :bang: :bang:
Lakers+Mashburn=Success

fisher for mason

Postby kobefan on Thu Jul 17, 2003 2:32 pm

I think it would be a bad move getting mason. the bucks used to be on top in the east but when they got mason, it all went downhill. he could do it to us, too
kobefan

Postby SWOL on Thu Jul 17, 2003 2:39 pm

Leon Smith does not have AL Harrington like talent
SWOL

Return to Lakers Discussion