THE GLOVE FITS ONLY THE LAKERS

Payton signing may mean another L.A. final

Postby LakersGyrl2003 on Tue Jul 08, 2003 4:25 pm

http://espn.go.com/nba/columns/carter_fred/1578246.html

By Fred Carter
Special to ESPN.com

Gary Payton's signing by the Lakers is a tremendous move. In one fell swoop they've made themselves the favorite for next year's championship and added another Hall of Famer to Los Angeles' illustrous basketball history. All while improving their team exponentially. The Lakers are my favorites to win next year's championship for a few reasons.

One, the addition of Payton will allow the Lakers to better withstand injuries to the Big two of Kobe Bryant and Shaquille O'Neal. Before his addition, if one or both of these players went down the Lakers were at a serious disadvantage as evidenced by their play without the big fella at the beginning of last season. Payton gives them a player who is able to step up and shoulder the brunt of the offensive and defensive load if Kobe and Shaq go out.
LakersGyrl2003

Postby #1_Kobe_fan on Tue Jul 08, 2003 4:31 pm

OH YEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WAY TO GO GP!!!!!!

ITS YOUR TURN NOW MALONE!!!!!

NBA FINALS HERE WE COME!!!!!!!!!!!

I CAN'T WAIT TILL JULY 16th WHEN ITS OFFICIAL!!
#1_Kobe_fan

Postby SterlingBlueSatinGlow on Tue Jul 08, 2003 4:32 pm

#1_Kobe_fan wrote: OH YEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WAY TO GO GP!!!!!!

ITS YOUR TURN NOW MALONE!!!!!

NBA FINALS HERE WE COME!!!!!!!!!!!

I CAN'T WAIT TILL JULY 16th WHEN ITS OFFICIAL!!

NBA Finals and NBA history. this team is going to be umong the greatest NBA teams ever IMHO.
SterlingBlueSatinGlow

Postby zetaw00d on Tue Jul 08, 2003 4:37 pm

Also, the Lakers still need a power forward to complete this team. There are some good ones on the free agent market and Karl Malone reportedly expressed an interest to play for the Lakers if Payton signed. The addition of a player like Karl Malone to this lineup would almost ensure that we'll be watching the finals in sunny Los Angeles next year. After hearing this news, the most unhappy people in California right now maybe the the Sacramento Kings.

This is my favorite quote from the article from fred carter!!!
zetaw00d

Postby LakersGyrl2003 on Tue Jul 08, 2003 4:41 pm

LMAO!!! It's true!! The Kings' season was when we beat them in the 02 WCF's... From then on, they're goin down hill. Especially with all the reports sayin our team isn't deep enough this and that, and we still pulled it off that year to win, cuz that's the heart of champions... Now we're gonna have that deep team that they thought we wouldn't get, and we're gonna be backed by the dethroned champs within our team to lead us into the promise land once again. Tha Lakers!!!! BABY!
LakersGyrl2003

Postby lakers frizzo on Tue Jul 08, 2003 4:41 pm

with a new cba after this year, the rules might make it so that a team like this can never be made again in the present nba so we should enjoy it now and for the next four years cause after that who knows i hope mitch kupchak(who deserves a huge hug from all his loyal haters like myself) keeps his thinking cap on after this year and with years to come cause we can keep this fire if the rules dont change
is shaq satisfied with three titles and continuing to blow up to 400 lbs or will he get the other hunger back and get down to 320 and win three more?? GO LAKERS 2004-06 CHAMPS!!!
lakers frizzo

Postby LakersGyrl2003 on Tue Jul 08, 2003 4:44 pm

Inform us on the new Collectiove Barganing Agreement.. I dont really understand that all, so please if u can, explain whatcha mean... :bang: thanx!! :bow:
LakersGyrl2003

Postby SterlingBlueSatinGlow on Tue Jul 08, 2003 4:44 pm

LOL, yeah I like that quote too. But lets not forget about the Golden State Warriors. Not like they had a shot at the finals or anything but I'm sure they're not all that happy about this news either.
SterlingBlueSatinGlow

Postby LakersGyrl2003 on Tue Jul 08, 2003 4:45 pm

They aren't even playoff contention!! LMAO! That's like sayin the Clippers are disapointed in makin the playoffs next season too... :man10:
LakersGyrl2003

Postby Vasashi17 on Tue Jul 08, 2003 4:46 pm

I'm havin issues with quoting...look out for my next post
Last edited by Vasashi17 on Tue Jul 08, 2003 4:58 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby zetaw00d on Tue Jul 08, 2003 4:49 pm

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm

Thats the current CBA. I doubt that it will change much, when they redo it!!! I say this because it works!! Look at it now it works to keep players on the same team unless you want to take a big pay cut with GP and Malone are doing!!! Everyone else in sports is envying David Stern!!! What the CBA does, it helps teams sign and keep their good players.
zetaw00d

Postby SWOL on Tue Jul 08, 2003 5:01 pm

THAT LINK ANSWERS JUST ABOUT EVERY DAMN QUESTION WE COULD HAVE, YOU THINK THEY WILL KEEP THE BIRD EXCEPTION ON THE NEW CBA?
SWOL
Separated at Birth: Ron Artest

Postby Vasashi17 on Tue Jul 08, 2003 5:03 pm

Ahh I can't post my [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.]...I'm gonna try one last time
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby Vasashi17 on Tue Jul 08, 2003 5:07 pm

Well, class is in session, sooo let me break it down for you...When Kobe slides to the 3, that obviously puts Devean to the bench. GP would slide over to Kobe's 2 spot cause we know he is a great scoring guard and then Derek Fisher just reprises his PG position, having Pargo, or maybe even Lue come off the bench. (Well actually if we have Lue, then Fisher should come off the bench, but I ain't gonna jump ahead of myself) So all this basically does is allow an explosive player like George to come off the bench and give us that sixth man, but that means Luke "i am your father" will have limited playing time and won't develop as quickly.

I think PJ will start GP, Kobe, George, Malone and Shaq and just hope that Fisher can be a good energetic offensive player coming off the bench making him our sixth man. This will really work out for us, if Fox comes back real quick, so that he can be in the starting line up and put George back on the bench. Hopefully the surgery hasn't affected Fox's outstanding defense. So if you think about it from a defensive position:

PG) GP-just got to say two words...The Glove
SG) Kobe-made all defensive first team this last year...nuff said
SF) Foxy-surely we missed his defense in the Spurs matchup...but really known for locking down his man in the playoffs, particularly Peja
PF) Malone-rock solid muscle post defender with quick hands to slap away the ball when the offensive player faces up to make their move
C) Shaq-training in the offseason to be become more leaner, quicker, stronger, and finesse....hey forget about it

Offensively, they can all score on a consistent basis except Fox, but that's where we can rely on Fisher and George to come off the bench for that energetic offensive punch...even though i'll doubt we'll ever need it.
Basically let me close by saying, our starting five will pour on the points, while dropping the lock down defensively on the opposing starting five. When it quickly begans to become a blow out, a rotation of Shaq or Malone and GP or Kobe will head to the bench allowing Fisher, George and the rest of the scrubs to either maintain our lead, increase it or blow it. Now let me tell you why that last scenario will not happen...when Shaq and Kobe or GP goes to the bench, Malone will remain in with at least another superstar in Kobe or GP (whichever stays in) allowing the Lakers to have in inside post game with Malone and a perimeter game with either (Kobe or GP) and our sixth man, ie Fisher, George. When Shaq comes back in along with KB or GP, then Malone and KB or GP take a seat allowing nothing to be taken away from the inside-op...but really known for locking down his man in the playoffs, particularly Peja
PF) Malone-rock solid muscle post defender with quick hands to slap away the ball when the offensive player faces up to make their move
C) Shaq-training in the offseason to be become more leaner, quicker, stronger, and finesse....hey forget about it

Offensively, they can all score on a consistent basis except Fox, but that's where we can rely on Fisher and George to come off the bench for that energetic offensive punch...even though i'll doubt we'll ever need it.
Basically let me close by saying, our starting five will pour on the points, while dropping the lock down defensively on the opposing starting five. When it quickly begans to become a blow out, a rotation of Shaq or Malone and GP or Kobe will head to the bench allowing Fisher, George and the rest of the scrubs to either maintain our lead, increase it or blow it. Now let me tell you why that last scenario will not happen...when Shaq and Kobe or GP goes to the bench, Malone will remain in with at least another superstar in Kobe or GP (whichever stays in) allowing the Lakers to have in inside post game with Malone and a perimeter game with either (Kobe or GP) and our sixth man, ie Fisher, George. When Shaq comes back in along with KB or GP, then Malone and KB or GP take a seat allowing nothing to be taken away from the inside-outside game. If for any reason we blow a lead with this cycle, simply insert all our starters to reestablish order and a thorough [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.]-kickin of the other team...bottom line is we are going to win and break records in the process.
Last edited by Vasashi17 on Tue Jul 08, 2003 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby SterlingBlueSatinGlow on Tue Jul 08, 2003 5:08 pm

LakersGyrl2003 wrote:They aren't even playoff contention!! LMAO! That's like sayin the Clippers are disapointed in makin the playoffs next season too... :man10:

LOL, I know. I was trying to be funny. I didn't want to say the Clippers cause they are here in L.A. We thought the Lakers Haters were bad before. There really going to be Hating now. :boxing1:
SterlingBlueSatinGlow

Postby lakers frizzo on Tue Jul 08, 2003 5:08 pm

not meaning to defend lakersgyrl but do you honestly think that we made a move for gary payton so that we can keep dfish in the starting roster so he can get burnt up by the troy hudsons and tony parkers and mike bibbys of the league i dont think so... so no disrespect but someone needs to go back to school didnt mean to rock the boat though game on...
is shaq satisfied with three titles and continuing to blow up to 400 lbs or will he get the other hunger back and get down to 320 and win three more?? GO LAKERS 2004-06 CHAMPS!!!
lakers frizzo

Postby Vasashi17 on Tue Jul 08, 2003 5:13 pm

Hey sorry guys for the long post on the last page, i can't edit it and I've tried over and over, but it just won't let me....if you guys care...disregard the first paragraph that starts off with offensively. I think you guys will agree with that post. Thanx and sorry you guys...oh by the way that post is refering to when Lakergyrl asked about what happens if Kobe moves to the 3...i know i kind of got carried away in answering it.
Last edited by Vasashi17 on Tue Jul 08, 2003 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby Vasashi17 on Tue Jul 08, 2003 5:26 pm

Hey laker frizzo, i wasn't goin at lakergyrl...me and her are cool...she just wanted to know what would happen if kobe moved to the 3 thats all...and well i got carried away, as usual. But its only cause I'm really excited we finally landed him...Hey but thats tytht that you would stick up for a fellow lakerchick....much love and sorry for the confusion. (I tried to edit my post and it just got messed up in the middle, but my ideas are still good.)
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakers frizzo on Tue Jul 08, 2003 5:49 pm

much love lakers ladies i know this team will have it all:
3 pt shooting
peremiter d and o
interior d and o
steals
can you say assists?
can u say fadeaways?
can you say clutch shooting?
can you say DEEP BENCH?

i hope mitch makes a move for pippen to complete a "rejuvinated roster" if that feat hasnt ALREADY been done (mabye im getting greedy...)
lakers frizzo

Postby #1_Kobe_fan on Tue Jul 08, 2003 5:51 pm

ALRIGHT...!!!! ALRIGHT!!!! it's time to be a man and step up....

I OWE SOMEONE MY APOLOGIES............. O.G. your gut instincts were right BRO!!!! I WILL NOW EAT MY WORDS!!!!

O.G. got any gut instincts on the lotto numbers?????????
#1_Kobe_fan

Payton a Laker, Yea Baby

Postby Zohar on Tue Jul 08, 2003 5:55 pm

Hi, I'm a longtime reader of all of you alls wonderful posts. This is my first post, and I' m very proud to say that I have been a Laker fan since the Jerry West days. Livin on the eastcoast doesn't allow me much media coverage of the boys in purple and gold, but I must say thankyou all for giving me the heads up on alot of info. By the way the addition of G.P is the one piece of the puzzle I believe that will allow me to not worry about the future of the purple and gold :jam2:
Zohar

Postby Kobe_One_Kenobi_8 on Tue Jul 08, 2003 6:00 pm

Glove verbally commiting to the Lakers!!!!

Great news.

Finally, we have some positive news!!!!!
Kobe_One_Kenobi_8

Postby NateBall8 on Tue Jul 08, 2003 6:02 pm

Never in my wildest dreams would I have actually thought that I could ever see a Karl Malone in LA gear. there is nothing LA about him. But now that we have GP, and possibly Malone. I couldn't be any happier to be a Laker loyalist. We will once again have cornered the market of the NBA. Read'em and weep Spurs(keep that trophy shined up enjoy your day in the Sun, because it will only be 11 more months until it returns to the proper owners for the 15th time. Note to the Queens, Mavs, Wolves, Suns and Blazers, don't show up this coming season, it will only be a waste of your time. This along with the draft picks we acquired makes me want to laugh at the rest of the league, as they say the Lakers have pull off the coup of the century!!!! And cheap too!!!!
NateBall8

Postby Kobe_One_Kenobi_8 on Tue Jul 08, 2003 6:11 pm

Great to see the enthusiasm NateBall,

Nice first thread!!!

Welcome to the site!!!

I'm just excited of knowing that this year we will have four hall of famers in the starting lineup for the first time since the days of Jerry West, Gail Goodrich, Wilt Chamberlain, and Elgin Baylor.

Guys,

We still have a 1 million vet. excemption to sign someone. How about Scottie Pippen or Eric Piatkowski sound to you.
Kobe_One_Kenobi_8

Postby LARolePlayer on Tue Jul 08, 2003 6:19 pm

:bow: :jam2: :bow: :jam2: :bow: :jam2: Too happy to speak!!!

GO LAKERS!!!
LARolePlayer

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion