The Lakers Must Stay The Course

The Lakers Must Stay The Course

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:37 am

The Los Angeles Lakers are struggling right now no doubt about it. They've played five games and only won one of those against the lowly Detroit Pistons. There's clearly several issues with this team. Defensively the Lakers have been horrendous. They've allowed 99,116, 105, 79, and 95 points respectively. That's an average of just under 99 points a game. For a team that was expected to be a great defensive team with the addition of three time Defensive Player of the Year in Dwight Howard that's just not good enough. They haven't exactly played offensive juggernauts either.

They haven't been much better offensively either. They've scored 91, 106, 95, 108, and 86 points respectively. That's an average of about 97 points. That's also unacceptable with the tremendous offensive talent this team has with guys like Kobe who is the right now the second leading scorer in the league, Dwight Howard, Pau Gasol, Steve Nash, and Antawn Jamison. The bench has also been terrible once again. Just 87 combined points. That's an average of just over 17 points a game. Antawn Jamison who was supposed to be the Lakers go to scorer off the bench has been dissapointing to say the least. Under 4 points a game compared to also year where he averaged 17 points a game. He's gotta come in and be aggressive. That's why he was brought in. Another thing is Kobe Bryant and Dwight Howard need more support offensively. Together they're averaging just under 50 points a game. Same goes for the rest of the team. That's pathetic. You cannot rely on just two players to win games for you. That's gotta change and it has to happen soon.

All those issues I listed have to be corrected, however the NBA season is a very long 82 game season. Still have 77 games left to play. The Lakers must stay the course. We're only in the second week of this season. I know people don't wanna hear this because you wanna see results fast, but chemistry is something you need to win a championship along with talent which we do have if healthy which we're not right now obviously. Steve Nash is still out. The Lakers have plenty of time to fix all those issues. There's an old saying that says patience is a virtue. The Miami Heat a couple of seasons ago got off to a similar slow start of 9-8. They finished 49-16 and made it to the Finals and were just a couple of games away from winning the championship. It took the some time, but eventually they become one of the best and most dominant teams in all of basketball. The same will happen with these Lakers. It'll just take some time. This is a marathon not a sprint. Right now the Lakers at a little behind in the marathon, but there is plenty of time for them to catch up. Dwight Howard said it best in his post game interview tonight. It's not time to hit the panic button yet. Give this basketball team some time to find themselves and eventually they will.
Last edited by Texas Lakers Fan on Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:57 am, edited 4 times in total.
Texas Lakers Fan

Re: The Lakers Must Stay The Course

Postby Lakers808 on Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:40 am

whats up with these essays? :bang:
Lakers808

Postby The Rock on Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:41 am

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby kenzo on Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:41 am

Keep telling yourself that. It'll work as good as the "flip the switch" thing... which DIDN't work for us ever :man9:
kenzo

Postby Nashty Gal on Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:41 am

Whatevs. the world is ending
The Black Mamba and the White Swan
Kobe on talk with Pau about being more aggressive, "it's against his nature, he's always very nice, very white swan, I need him to be black swan"

http://www.thesexysaxman.com
Nashty Gal

Postby lakersyunowin on Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:46 am

OP, i appreciate your optimism and you're right there's still a lot of games to be played.

though a few of the numbers in your post were off, i don't know that i agree. i think the whole wait-and-see, patience approach holds less water after watching how the team plays in each progressive loss.

the problem with waiting and seeing is, you can end up waiting too long with nothing to show for it. thing is, it kinda hinges on how much one thinks improvement is likely to come about with waiting. personally, i think the scales appear to be tipping more towards the unfavorable side at the moment (and i don't just necessarily mean the win/loss column alone).
Last edited by lakersyunowin on Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby Tobias Funke on Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:49 am

Lakers808 wrote:whats up with these essays? :bang:

What are you talking about? That write up was inspiring and packed with useful, hard to find information and I for one am appreciative. I was wondering how many ppg we've been averaging and whether or not it was an acceptable amount or not, and now I know!

We also get to skip some of our games this season, and Im definitely anxious to find out which ones!
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

Tobias Funke

Postby lakersyunowin on Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:50 am

Tobias Funke wrote:

What are you talking about? That write up was inspiring and packed with useful, hard to find information and I for one am appreciative. I was wondering how many ppg we've been averaging and whether or not it was an acceptable amount or not, and now I know!

We also get to skip some of our games this season, and Im definitely anxious to find out which ones!

haha yea there were a few numbers off there. i was like waitwut...
lakersyunowin

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:51 am

fkmikebrown wrote:
Tobias Funke wrote:

I fixed them. Math was never my best subject.
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby lakersyunowin on Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:53 am

Texas Lakers Fan wrote:
fkmikebrown wrote:
Tobias Funke wrote:

I fixed them. Math was never my best subject.

77*, 58-24*
lakersyunowin

Postby King of Clutch on Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:55 am

Stay the course??? Who are we the miami heat??? Lol. But in all seriousness, spoelstra kept saying that line over and over. Looking back, they stayed the course, and still lost that year. Hope that doesn't happen to us...
King of Clutch

Postby thkthebest on Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:10 am

A lot of people keep using the Miami Heat example, but the two situations aren't even alike to me. Yes, the Heat took some time to understand each other, but they showed some semblance of a team. We just look pathetic. A lot of the Heat's 8 losses came down to the wire. For us, outside of the Pistons game, we have only won ONE half and that was by 1 point (today's game), which is pathetic. We never really had any control of any games.

Miami also lost against tough teams. A new team that loses to Boston, Dallas (eventual champs), Orlando, etc. isn't bad. Other teams like the Hornets or Jazz had PGs that destroyed them. Chris Paul had 13 points, 19 assists, and 5 steals. D-Will had 21 points and 14 assists. These losses are somewhat bearable and understandable. What the hell have we shown? One blowout win against the Pistons? That crappy team has given every team they faced their first win.
thkthebest

Postby lakersyunowin on Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:12 am

yea that is where the analogy falls pretty flat. hell, i'd take 9-8. :man10:
lakersyunowin

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:20 am

And the thing about the Heat is that they weren't horrid defensively, they struggled a lot offensively because they couldn't figure out how to get LeBron and Wade going at the same time but defensively they never had any problems from day 1.

We just have no identity whatsoever. They go out on the floor every night without really knowing for sure what their game plan will be on offense or defense. This largely falls on the coach.
JoelMyersScrotalSack

Postby wcsoldier81 on Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:43 am

Heat was never THAT bad during the 9-8 stretch ... we're just terrible right now
wcsoldier81

Postby KBJelleyBean24 on Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:18 am

I wouldn't mind losing so much as long as the team seemed to
be getting better little by little, and playing good defense. The problem
is they seem to be getting WORSE each game(except that fluke
win vs a sorry Detroit team.) I also wanted to adopt a "wait and see"
attitude but there's been no progress and no energy from the team.
It's time for Mike Clown to go bye bye.
I should get an assist for that. It's an intentional pass to oneself, so it's an assist. That way people can't say all I do is shoot.
-Kobe on passing the ball to himself off the backboard.
KBJelleyBean24

Postby Congo Cash on Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:57 am

If this is the course, then expect more embarrassing defeats ...
- insert signature here -
Congo Cash

Postby juninho on Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:22 am

juninho

Postby Finwë on Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:17 am

Janine Garcia wrote:Whatevs. the world is ending

:man10: this
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby nthydro on Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:48 am

Before I read the article, I want to know are you still defending Mike Brown?
nthydro

Postby kray28 on Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:51 am

Stay the course, like Dubya did in Eye-Raq?

Can you tell me when we're gonna turn the corner?
kray28

Postby kray28 on Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:53 am

wcsoldier81 wrote:Heat was never THAT bad during the 9-8 stretch ... we're just terrible right now

The comparison to the Heat is joke level bad. When I think of Lakers right now, I think of Jim Mora's famous "Playoffs?" rant.
kray28

Postby OX1947 on Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:55 am

Mike Brown can not handle the pressure. He proved it when he put back starters in a 24 point blow out. He is not a leader. Just cut him now and move on with Jerry Sloan.
OX1947

Postby hollywood swinger on Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:06 am

stay the course like the titanic? this ship is going down also it's doomed
the posting artist formally known as west-magic-kobe 8/2004
hollywood swinger

Postby khmrP on Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:13 am

Brown has lost this team, you can see it on their face and effort.
khmrP

Next

Return to Lakers Discussion