The Lakers that need to go!

Postby Snakell Beast on Thu May 22, 2003 8:33 pm

"I read somewhere that Rob said he can get 2 million elsewhere..."

Tell him to go for it!

"You missed out Isiah Rider and Mitch Richmond. As for Glen Rice I think he did a hell of a job with the Lakers. He did score 16-17ppg with us, what more could we ask for at the time, look at us now..no one is near scoring 16ppg as a 3rd scorer. Also he was the 3rd option scorer and not the #1 go to guy like he was in Miami and Charlotte, plus he was fresh off injury and really never did get back in form."

Remember he had a 46 point 8 3 pointers game for us, so he wasn't a total wash.
Snakell Beast

Postby Danny Ainge on Sat May 24, 2003 3:54 pm

46 points eh, doesn't seem quite right. He did have 40 points though that was back when he played for Rockets in '95.
Big props to UGOTOWN3D for the avy.
DA fan club:UGOTOWN3D, Realm Of Shadows, DarthRekal, SOAD, hZm
http://www.clubkingshoops.com/forums//
Danny Ainge

Postby Snakell Beast on Sat May 24, 2003 7:26 pm

My Bad, here is a clipping from Glen's NBA.COM BIO page:

"Recorded a game-high 40 points (14-20 FG, 8-10 3FG, 4-4 FT), 5 rebounds and 3 assists in a 101-88 win over the Portland Trail Blazers on 5/5..."
Snakell Beast

Postby LakersGyrl2003 on Sat May 24, 2003 7:30 pm

Was this when he was with the Lakers? Possibly in the WCF's in 2000? If not so, then with who?
LakersGyrl2003

Postby Snakell Beast on Sat May 24, 2003 7:37 pm

Yes, this was when he was with the Lakers in '98-99.The strike shortened season. I remember the game quite vividly, it was, at one point, a HUGE Lakers blow out and they kept switching to different games and I was pissed because Glen was hot and he kept hitting threes every 3 or 4 minutes...
Snakell Beast

Postby LakersGyrl2003 on Sat May 24, 2003 7:38 pm

oooh dayam... coo coo.. thanx for the insight!
LakersGyrl2003

Postby Snakell Beast on Sat May 24, 2003 8:54 pm

No problem, anytime for my Laker sisters...
Snakell Beast

Postby #1_Kobe_fan on Tue May 27, 2003 2:30 am

you wanna know who need to go?

EVERYBODY EXCEPT:

KOBE
SHAQ
GEORGE
PARGO
FISHER
MEVEDENKO
HORRY (if he accepts the minimum)

everybody else its been nice but ASTALVISTA......... don't let the door hit you on your way out..........
#1_Kobe_fan

What about Fisher?

Postby couchdonkey on Tue May 27, 2003 2:14 pm

Does anyone out there remember when Fisher would come on for Van Exel and actually play hard defense? Isn't that what earned him a spot on the team in the first place? Is it just me or has he turned into very one-dimensional player? Every guard in the West seems to post great numbers when they play the Lakers. Granted, the West has some talented guards, but when Troy Hudson pours in 37 points against Fisher in the playoffs, my point is made. I would package Fisher and Walker for a talented, young PF. If no PF's are available then I would consider trading them both for a bag of basketballs and box of shoestrings.
couchdonkey

Postby #1_Kobe_fan on Tue May 27, 2003 2:33 pm

hahah.... good point. I think it all started with that FOOT injury he suffered. His speed/lateral quickness has deminished. Fisher has become a liability on the defensive end and when he can't hit the 3's he is completely useless. I think he has lots of heart and right now he is probably best coming off the bench. He's probably the master in taking a offensive foul (charge). I'd also package FISHER/WALKER/RUSH and a draft pick to get a JERMAINE ONEIL or get the #2 or 3 pick of the draft.
If we get rid of those 3 players.... how much CAP room would that free up?

KOBE OUR REAL MVP
#1_Kobe_fan

Postby Snakell Beast on Tue May 27, 2003 3:25 pm

You just agreed with my opinion and contradicted yourself by accident on D-Fish...couchdonkey

You said:

"Does anyone out there remember when Fisher would come on for Van Exel and actually play hard defense? Isn't that what earned him a spot on the team in the first place?"

In that sentence you ask and answer your own question, YES he was great as a back up and yes his presence OFF OF THE BENCH is what made Phil keep him, however, you go into how we need to dump him because he is getting torched and I contend it is beacuse he is now STARTING, a role that is not best suited for his talents. We need to get Jason Terry, Gary Payton, Gilbert Arenas or Andre Miller, then D-Fish looks great coming off the bench and less minutes means more hustle and more defense because he can afford to give 30 minutes of energy in a 15-20 minute span...
Snakell Beast

Postby Danny Ainge on Wed May 28, 2003 8:45 pm

Fish is the kind of player that needs motivation in order to play well. If losing his job isn't motivation enough than all my ideas are spent.
Danny Ainge

Postby #1_Kobe_fan on Thu May 29, 2003 2:03 am

I agree that D-FISH should come off the bench. It would actually benefit his game if he did. The 3 championship run took a toll in everyones body but chasing down all these guards has wore down D-FISH significantly. He is a coming off the bench he can serve as a spark plug for the second unit team. His playoff experience is also valuable. D-FISH does get paid maybe a little too much to come off the bench but, playing him 20-25 minutes a game could make him a force as a sixth man. I would only trade D-FISH for a ARENAS type talent.

KOBE OUR REAL MVP
#1_Kobe_fan

Postby Danny Ainge on Thu May 29, 2003 6:29 pm

LA won't need to worry about Fish once they get GP. In three years I believe Pargo will be able to handle the PG sufficiently.
Danny Ainge

Postby Snakell Beast on Thu May 29, 2003 7:31 pm

I don't think Pargo can be any more than a good bencher in his career, so we need to get a Point Guard that can start for 8-10 seasons and use Pargo to replace Fisher...
Snakell Beast

Postby Danny Ainge on Thu May 29, 2003 8:29 pm

If this is really how you feel perhaps it is time to bring Arenas on board.
Danny Ainge

Postby dmaul on Thu May 29, 2003 10:56 pm

I agree.

The PGs the Lakers have right now are all really backup material, not starter material. I can see Pargo become a solid backup in the future. Fisher is a great backup but only a below average starter.

Payton would definitely alleviate the Lakers PG starter problems for as long as he can still play at the level he's playing at.
dmaul

Postby #1_Kobe_fan on Fri May 30, 2003 3:02 am

What makes you think PARGO is only going to be as good as a bench warmer? Are you a fortune teller?... Did you forcast that Amare Stoudemire and TayShaun Prince were going to turn out this good? PARGO has poise/can handle the ball/has shooting range/quickness.
Give this guy some credit. PHIL didn't give hime playing time. The triangle is hard to LEARN especially at the PG position. He took grasp of the offense better than ....ahemm..... RUSH. Pargo showed some promise in the San Antonio Series. He just needs to work on his decision making and he will be fine. What makes you think he couldn't be a starter? because.... he wasn't a high enough draft pick?.... are you forgetting about VAN EXEL (37th pick) FISHER (35th pick)?..... since when does a TRIANGLE really need a ALLSTAR POINT? It would be a plus to have one but its been proven that it doesn't. You just gotta hit the open "J".
PAXON/ARMSTRONG.... (forget who else in the bulls era) but those guards we mediocre. It was JORDAN/PIPPEN that carried most of the scoring burden. SHAQ/KOBE did the same in our title reign. They did it with FISHER. Pargo.... if given some PLAYING TIME will be a better offensive player than FISHER but we will see if he has the same HEART.
ARENAS flourished in Golden State becuase there was not pressure on him. He had the green light and were allowed to make mistakes. This made ARENAS a better player. Now Pargo needs the same...some PLAYIN TIME..... too bad I can't say the same for RUSH (he's a lost cause)...
KOBE OUR REAL MVP :bow:
Last edited by #1_Kobe_fan on Sun Jun 01, 2003 11:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
#1_Kobe_fan

the lakers that need to go !

Postby kobendevean'sbabigurl83 on Sun Jun 01, 2003 11:43 am

[size=18]i [color=yellow]think phil should have givin both the rookies mnmore playin tyme. i mean both of them would b bettern i think. and newayz i think that the onli 2 playaz that should go r Samaki Walker n Tracy Murray. samaki b/c he really didn't prove he could b a laker b/c of the way he played n then tracy b/c he was basically on the injured list the whole tyme he really onlli had 1 good game that he scored around 30pts and that was in the preseason :mad1: . iight then i'm out of her .....hollA
kobendevean'sbabigurl83

Postby Danny Ainge on Sat Jun 14, 2003 4:22 pm

Well we all know Phils pre-requisitions towards rookies. And since hes been there hes been able to avoid them entirely. But now he must realize that young talent must be used if there is any hopes of winning another championship.
Danny Ainge

KEEPERS

Postby mazter_roshi on Mon Jun 16, 2003 11:40 pm

Have: Shaq, Shaw, Kobe, Murray, Pargo, Rush, Fisher, Medevenko, Madsen, Walker, Fox, Horry, George.

KEEP: Shaq, Kobe, Pargo, Fisher, Fox, Horry, George. We decided to keep Medevenko or Madsen.

Lose: Murray, Walker, Shaw, Medevenko or Madsen and Rush and use them or most of em plus our draft pic for Payton.

Shaq cuz he is a hell of a center.

Kobe we all know.

Pargo is a good player he needs more playing time.

Fisher is an offensive player and though he isn't a great defender he does draw offensive fouls which is just as good as getting stops.

Fox is a great defender and can chip in 10-15 points and can hit the three.

Horry had a horrible post-season but is still a good player. He's a fair defender and can pick up this shooting next season.

George is great on offense, he doesn't need to shoot a lot to pick up 10-15 points. Plus he comes off the bench and can be a spark for runs.

Madsen is a great defender but is horrible on offense. Medevenko is good on offense but horrible on defense. One of em needs to improve on their weakness or its not worth wasting salary cap.

For all you who say we need to trade Fisher for Payton must be kidding. Payton has 5 years left tops!!!! Fisher has a good 7-8 years left and is improving every season. His ppg improved every season but dropped from 11.2 to 10.5 this season but field goal percentage improved from 41.1 to 43.7 and his ppb dropped only because he didn't play 12 games last season. He's our best three point shooter and draws offensive fouls. He's gonna hit 20+ ppg in the next three years.

So its only smart to keep him, :man7:
mazter_roshi

Postby Danny Ainge on Tue Jun 17, 2003 3:32 pm

very nice insight but do you care to inform us as to how you would dispose of Slava? He is still under contract, would you trade him or simply waive hi, and if you were to trade him, what would the package be and to where would it be directed?
Danny Ainge

Postby TheZen on Tue Jun 17, 2003 10:11 pm

Did anyone see the World Poker Tour when our man, Jerry Buss was playing? I mean, this is the same guy who won't spend a dime for our team, yet he's tossing down 15-30 grand a hand!!!!! He should be using his money to get a Gary Payton or Gilbert Arenas(highly doubtful)!!!!
TheZen

Postby Slayer Alstarx on Fri Jun 20, 2003 9:12 am

Lakers4PEAT wrote:
BryantDunkGiant wrote:yeah remember: george mccloud, ruben patterson, and glen rice.

all great when NOT on the lakers

You missed out Isiah Rider and Mitch Richmond. As for Glen Rice I think he did a hell of a job with the Lakers. He did score 16-17ppg with us, what more could we ask for at the time, look at us now..no one is near scoring 16ppg as a 3rd scorer. Also he was the 3rd option scorer and not the #1 go to guy like he was in Miami and Charlotte, plus he was fresh off injury and really never did get back in form.

And YOU forgot Greg Foster.
I hated him when he was with Utah, because he always came through with clutch plays, and I hated him more when he was with the Lakers. He played so terribly I was wondering was he still on Utahs' salary. :man7:
Slayer Alstarx

Previous

Return to Lakers Discussion