Am I the only one who wants to just implode this whole deal?

Re: Am I the only one who wants to just implode this whole deal?

Postby ElginTheGreat on Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:25 am

Psychobroker wrote:
JGC wrote:
Psychobroker wrote:
Lets Go Lakers wrote:Why do people keep assuming that Dwight needs to carry this team in order for us to win a ring? All he has to do is do what he does in rebounding and defense and his impact will be on a superstar level. He needs a sidekick star. I just can't believe the knee jerk reaction on Dwight. It's unreal. The guy isn't even 100% and rarely gets the ball. But his talent is proven and undeniable. You don't just find a guy like him in FA. He's obviously not happy and rightfully so cause Kobe is hogging the damm ball all season and not even giving our TEAM a chance to jell.

2nd most touches by centers this season in the NBA disagree with you.

Which center gets more touches than Dwight? Nobody that plays center should get more touches than Dwight Howard.

Don't know and don't care, but to say he "rarely gets the ball" is just flat out dishonest.

This. I don't think he gets the ball enough in easy to score situations but he does get the ball.
ElginTheGreat

Postby Chillbongo on Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:29 am

^ How much easier can it get from receiving the ball right under the basket?
Chillbongo

Postby ElginTheGreat on Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:31 am

Definitely tempted to say blow the whole thing, but I think we gotta just take a deep breath and let Mitch make some moves. This is easily the most disappointing year I think most of us have ever experienced as Laker fans. But, we can't make moves for the sake of moves. I also just can't help but feel like the main problem is the guy on the sideline. Far better to eat the cost of canning him at the end of the season and keeping Dwight than to let Dwight go IMO. I think Pau can still fetch us a couple of solid players. He hasn't shown it consistently with us, but he is still a skilled big man and that is always valuable in the league. I would like to see us keep Meeks and try to develop him some more, but most of our other young guards can go.
ElginTheGreat

Postby ElginTheGreat on Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:33 am

Chillbongo wrote:^ How much easier can it get from receiving the ball right under the basket?

Ehh. I question how often he gets the ball right under the basket. He definitely gets touches though.
ElginTheGreat

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:35 am

^LOL. In all fairness to Dwight, our spacing sucks. Hell, our system sucks. In Orlando, Dwight had more room to operate in the paint. No floor balance at all. We need more shooters if we want him to be successful.

I completely understand what you're saying, though...
dwighthowardsdad

Postby ElginTheGreat on Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:39 am

dwighthowardsdad wrote:^LOL. In all fairness to Dwight, our spacing sucks. Hell, our system sucks. In Orlando, Dwight had more room to operate in the paint. No floor balance at all. We need more shooters if we want him to be successful.

I agree with this completely. Definitely what I see out there. No spacing. So if Dwight gets the ball near the hoop the defense just collapses on him. Still injured so he can't just power over or through defenders anymore.

I am not ready to give up on him though. Again, I would much prefer another change in coaching over getting rid of Dwight.
ElginTheGreat

Postby phoenixrisingla on Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:10 pm

ElginTheGreat wrote:
dwighthowardsdad wrote:^LOL. In all fairness to Dwight, our spacing sucks. Hell, our system sucks. In Orlando, Dwight had more room to operate in the paint. No floor balance at all. We need more shooters if we want him to be successful.

I agree with this completely. Definitely what I see out there. No spacing. So if Dwight gets the ball near the hoop the defense just collapses on him. Still injured so he can't just power over or through defenders anymore.

I am not ready to give up on him though. Again, I would much prefer another change in coaching over getting rid of Dwight.

Good points. This partially has to do with people not respecting our outside shooting, sagging off a little, and being in a good position to double/triple team Dwight immediately in the post.
phoenixrisingla

Postby Snakell Beast on Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:42 pm

lakerzkb8 wrote:^Holy...I trust Jim Buss more then you if you ran things

I have not submitted any resume to the Lakers front office, nor am I claiming to be a GM. I am ALSO not saying that I believe we are a better team with a bunch of young second round scrubs (that has been one of our main problems off the bench the past few years) I am merely ranting about the mismanagement of the team and what I would like to see happen to the IDIOT who hired Mike Antoni to coach this team. I was a loyal supporter of the team and got behind Antoni, but he has been the biggest failure in the history of basketball with this team.

Kobe, Nash, Clark, Hill and Artest have been giving full effort on both ends of the floor...well, Morris and Meeks have too, they just suck. Everyone else is one dimensional, lacks heart, lacks effort and doesn't care...and that has INCLUDED Howard. I still believe Howard can be a great player, but only IF he can get his athleticism back (which probably won't happen, see Larry Johnson and Tracy McGrady after similar back trouble) and can accept that he is not a good enough shooter or ball handler to EVER be a #1 option offensively. Since I do not believe that will happen, I continue to contend that since we can get the most value for Dwight, IF we want to win now we should trade him over Pau.

Also, everyone needs to stop and realize the narrative here in LA. First it was Antoni over Pau...now it is Antoni over Pau AND Dwight. If we were successful running his offense I still wouldn't agree since Pau and Dwight are more proven than Antoni (Pau has two rings and Dwight went to the Finals) but the debate would be somewhat legit...but since we are the biggest embarassment in the history of the game, WE NEED TO END THIS NOW. Fire Antoni....JEEZ :bang: :mad1: :disagree:

phoenixrisingla wrote:Good points. This partially has to do with people not respecting our outside shooting, sagging off a little, and being in a good position to double/triple team Dwight immediately in the post.

I LOVE the effort from Meeks, Artest, Clark, Hill, Morris...but NONE of them have been reliable outside (12-23 foot) shooters AT ALL, let alone good shooters, and that has been one of the main reasons we have had so much trouble in the post this year. Then, when you consider we also have Ebanks, Sacre, Pau, Jamison and Dwight, it seems SO MIND BOGGLING that Antoni would think we could EVER run his perimeter oriented offense, an offense that is predicated on, and set up by, proficiency from the outside.

The triangle, on the other hand, goes by another name. THE TRIPLE POST OFFENSE. Need I say more?

EDIT - We don't need Phil Jackson to run the triangle, there are others who know the system. We don't need Phil Jackson, OR the triangle, to run a POST oriented attack that features our two all world bigs, as well as Clark, Hill and Sacre on the bench. We just need JIMMY BUSS to ADMIT HE WAS/IS wrong with this whole SHOWTIME obsession and cater his coach to the talents on the roster.
The End is nigh. Time for a total Cut and Shuffle. Kobe contract was a mistake...time to avoid making more. The future is here, whether we want it to be or not. An era is over, but for the death rattle, and it's time for the cycle to begin anew. Growth and change are scary and painful, but alas...nothing worth achieving comes easily.
Snakell Beast

Postby Snake Eyes on Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:15 pm

JGC wrote:
Psychobroker wrote:
Lets Go Lakers wrote:Why do people keep assuming that Dwight needs to carry this team in order for us to win a ring? All he has to do is do what he does in rebounding and defense and his impact will be on a superstar level. He needs a sidekick star. I just can't believe the knee jerk reaction on Dwight. It's unreal. The guy isn't even 100% and rarely gets the ball. But his talent is proven and undeniable. You don't just find a guy like him in FA. He's obviously not happy and rightfully so cause Kobe is hogging the damm ball all season and not even giving our TEAM a chance to jell.

2nd most touches by centers this season in the NBA disagree with you.

Which center gets more touches than Dwight? Nobody that plays center should get more touches than Dwight Howard.

Al Jefferson, according to Mike Trudell.
Snake Eyes

Previous

Return to Lakers Discussion