Am I the only one who wants to just implode this whole deal?

Am I the only one who wants to just implode this whole deal?

Postby KentuckyLaker on Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:09 pm

Hey guys. Been registered here since 2011 but read before that. I don't find the time to post much, but I peruse this forum about on a daily basis. The frustration has been brewing here recently and I just had to see if anyone else felt the same way.

In 2011 when we were swept by Dallas, we should've known then that we were done. Hindsight is always 20/20, but it's true. We should've just blew up everything then. However, we still had Kobe, Bynum was improving and we all thought Pau might bounce back from his pathetic showing that year. And I think most of us thought we could return to title contention, too.

Fast forward two years later. After a failed experiment with Mike Brown at the helm and another second round exit, we build a super team that is meant to destroy the league. On paper, it's hands down the best squad. In reality, though, it's a total train wreck. The Titanic of professional sports. We've tried a new coach (that the FO has committed to), hoping it would turn around when our PG returned from injury, etc. But the situation hasn't improved any, hell it's gotten worse. Which leads me to my latest mindset.

I feel like it's time to implode this whole thing. The way I see it, we are no longer the Lakers we all knew and loved. We aren't the top franchise in basketball ran by the world's greatest owner with a HOF coach. We are now just another team, led by the incompetent stat-driven geek son who got dad's hand-me-down with a nonexistent coach. We've tried to reload for another title run, but it just isn't working and won't. So, I think we should just implode everything. Keep Kobe and that's it. Say what you want to about his shooting, but at least he can tear up a team night-in, night-out. Our other guys can't even do that. Why waste time and money on veterans who can't even produce? Start the rebuilding process early, it's time for it.

I know many want to see Dwight Howard stay because he is a young stud C who can be the future of the franchise. While he is a great player, I don't think he has what it takes to be our franchise guy. We need a superstar, Dwight is a star. Sure, he loves the glitz and glamour of Hollywood. But does he have the businessman-type work ethic to just put it all aside to focus on winning? He hasn't proven to so far. I say even get rid of Howard.

Blow it all up. From Nash down to Darius Morris, blow it up. Get younger prospects, allow Kobe to ride it out his last two years. Start the slow, painful rebuilding process early rather than later. We're about to enter the biggest rebuiding challenge we've ever faced, so we best get prepared. We have a new owner, a new coach, time to create a new identity. We have went from a team that struck fear into opponents to a laughingstock, so it's time to start from scratch and try to get back to the level we once were at, and that will more than likely take a long time (I'm thinking Boston, post-Bird til the Big 3 trade in '08). Maybe we can luck into a Kyrie Irving or Anthony Davis somehow via Free Agency or maybe even the draft. But as bad as I hate to say it, it's time to blow it all up and enter rebuilding now.
"Everything negative- pressure, challenges -is all an opportunity for me to rise. "

- Kobe Bryant

Bred and raised in the hills of Eastern Kentucky, following the Lakers and UK Wildcats for life.
KentuckyLaker

Re: Am I the only one who wants to just implode this whole deal?

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:11 pm

Blow it Up!!!!
dwighthowardsdad

Postby LakerFanIam on Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:19 pm

Howard can go (I'm just not impressed with his game)... Pau can go( I Love him, but he's old & expensive)... Not sure how you have both Kobe & Nash play starters minutes against the quicker guards in this league.... Yeah, blow it up.
LakerFanIam

Postby Steve on Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:21 pm

I honestly have been holding my feelings back, cause i'm not 100% on how I feel. But at this point move Dwight, just move him out of here, get something back and end it, I'm so over him, there's not going to be a bam, he's carrying us to a title, he's a 3rd option, and you can always get a 3rd option when the time comes...get him out, start rebuilding from there
Steve

Postby JGC on Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:22 pm

Blowing it up means you have to move Kobe as well.

Guys, we're already blowing it up after next season. So we are imploding this deal, just taking a little longer than expected.
JGC

Postby Lets Go Lakers on Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:29 pm

Why do people keep assuming that Dwight needs to carry this team in order for us to win a ring? All he has to do is do what he does in rebounding and defense and his impact will be on a superstar level. He needs a sidekick star. I just can't believe the knee jerk reaction on Dwight. It's unreal. The guy isn't even 100% and rarely gets the ball. But his talent is proven and undeniable. You don't just find a guy like him in FA. He's obviously not happy and rightfully so cause Kobe is hogging the damm ball all season and not even giving our TEAM a chance to jell.
Lets Go Lakers

Postby jlkr on Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:09 am

Trade D12, get picks.
Amnesty Kobe. No one will take him in trade without giving up too much; he makes too much for that. So he'll request it as it's the only way he can get out of town to pursue #6.
Dump Pau for bags of chips.
Dump MWP for more bags of chips
Trade Nash to Toronto, they'll take him. For less than they would have given him in free agency.
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

--Robert Frost
jlkr

Postby Lakerjones on Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:11 am

Fire the coach. Ride it out with Bernie and Eddie. Move Pau in the offseason when he's actually got trade value. Hire a new head coach in the summer. One who is going to win.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:19 am

Lakerjones wrote:Fire the coach. Ride it out with Bernie and Eddie. Move Pau in the offseason when he's actually got trade value. Hire a new head coach in the summer. One who is going to win.

Unfortunately, I don't think they're going to fire him at least this season. They do need to make a head coaching change, though. When they do it? IDK. You're right about Pau.

Quite frankly, Kobe is still on the books for 27 millions dollars this year; 30 millions for the next. Let him expire. I'd keep Hill, Clark, & Nash. I'd have a firesale with the other players on the roster...
dwighthowardsdad

Postby jlkr on Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:21 am

Gotta bring back Bernie somehow ...
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

--Robert Frost
jlkr

Postby Savory Griddles on Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:09 pm

Does anyone think Toronto would trade Lowry and filler for Nash?
Savory Griddles

Postby Psychobroker on Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:48 pm

Lets Go Lakers wrote:Why do people keep assuming that Dwight needs to carry this team in order for us to win a ring? All he has to do is do what he does in rebounding and defense and his impact will be on a superstar level. He needs a sidekick star. I just can't believe the knee jerk reaction on Dwight. It's unreal. The guy isn't even 100% and rarely gets the ball. But his talent is proven and undeniable. You don't just find a guy like him in FA. He's obviously not happy and rightfully so cause Kobe is hogging the damm ball all season and not even giving our TEAM a chance to jell.

2nd most touches by centers this season in the NBA disagree with you.
“Liberty cannot be preserved without a general knowledge among the people.”
- John Adams
"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. "
- Thomas Jefferson
"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."
- Mark Twain
Psychobroker

Postby NeeJee on Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:39 pm

-Fire D'Antoni and let Bernie finish the season.
-Let MITCH pick a coach (Phil or Shaw)
-Trade Pau for younger talent/shooters/younger starting point guard to replace Nash/ANYONE ELSE
-Let Dwight decide what he wants to do in the offseason (I really don't care what he does at this point)
-Keep Jordan Hill, Earl Clark, and Ron
-Get rid of dead weight: Morris, Meeks, Ebanks, Blake, Duhon (wow it's disturbing knowing we have THAT much dead weight)

BOOM
NeeJee

Postby JGC on Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:48 pm

Psychobroker wrote:
Lets Go Lakers wrote:Why do people keep assuming that Dwight needs to carry this team in order for us to win a ring? All he has to do is do what he does in rebounding and defense and his impact will be on a superstar level. He needs a sidekick star. I just can't believe the knee jerk reaction on Dwight. It's unreal. The guy isn't even 100% and rarely gets the ball. But his talent is proven and undeniable. You don't just find a guy like him in FA. He's obviously not happy and rightfully so cause Kobe is hogging the damm ball all season and not even giving our TEAM a chance to jell.

Which center gets more touches than Dwight? Nobody that plays center should get more touches than Dwight Howard.
JGC

Postby cthroatgtr on Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:04 pm

First and foremost don't assume Dwight will ever be the same player again. Just lookup David Robinson's stats before and after back surgery and Robinson had a jump shot. Howard may have a lost just a little athleticism and that may be the difference. As good as Howard is supposed to be, he is still extremely raw on the offensive end. Losing just a small step makes a big difference. If you look at guys with long careers they had great fundamentals and skills that were off the charts so when the athleticism waned, they were still productive (Kareem & Kobe are two obvious examples).

People want to make Kobe the ball hog but if you watch the offense usually it starts with Nash dribble dribble dribble and when nothing materializes Kobe has to get his own. They turn the ball over often forcing the post. The offense at this point makes Brown's system last year look amazing. D'antoni talks about all star teams but this team plays offense like you see in all star games. The only difference is the other team is playing defense.

Fire D'antoni but be careful how much you relent to Dwight...not the future HOF'er yet.
cthroatgtr

Postby Chillbongo on Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:08 pm

Lets Go Lakers wrote:He is a sidekick star.

Fixed.

Lets Go Lakers wrote:All he has to do is do what he does in rebounding and defense and his impact will be on a superstar level.

I don't completely disagree...but IMO superstar=two-way.

Lately he's only been defense, and that isn't saying much given our team. IMO Chandler can provide that defense & rebounding with a far smaller paycheck AND ego. Just sayin
Chillbongo

Postby Snakell Beast on Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:16 pm

I think the Lakers should trade Dwight Howard and Pau Gasol for 1st and second round draft picks and expiring contracts, trade MWP, Jodie Meeks, Chris Duhon and Steve Blake (all expiring contracts) for second round picks or cash considerations...let Antawn Jamison, Devin Ebanks, Robert Sacre and Darius Morris expire and go elsewhere (D-League, China, Taco Bell, cardboard box in a back alley somewhere) and re-sign Earl Clark. Keep Jordan Hill. If necessary, EG he demands it, let Kobe go to a team with title aspirations by way of the Amnesty provision, and totally rebuild the team with a bunch of draft picks, minimum contract athletic players in their teens and twenties and Steve Nash. Keep D'Antoni as a both a punishment for mediocrity, and to sentence him to just what he wanted...an undersized team with no big men, running around like chickens with their heads cut off while trying desperately to justify a coaching and playing legacy (Antoni and Nash) that is at best flawed and at worst pathetic. EAT IT JIM BUSS!!! EAT IT TILL YOU CHOKE, YOU SICK TWISTED F***!!!
The End is nigh. Time for a total Cut and Shuffle. Kobe contract was a mistake...time to avoid making more. The future is here, whether we want it to be or not. An era is over, but for the death rattle, and it's time for the cycle to begin anew. Growth and change are scary and painful, but alas...nothing worth achieving comes easily.
Snakell Beast

Postby lakerzkb8 on Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:34 am

^Holy...I trust Jim Buss more then you if you ran things
This game's in the refrigerator: the door is closed, the lights are out, the eggs are cooling, the butter's getting hard, and the Jello's jigglin'! - Chick Hearn RIP
lakerzkb8

Postby hollywood swinger on Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:11 am

the posting artist formally known as west-magic-kobe 8/2004
hollywood swinger

Postby MC on Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:29 am

absolutely NOT!

This team is perfectly set up to be competitive now while having the flexibility to completely re-tool in a year and a half. To panic now over this season would be a mistake.

It's 2/3 of the FO management that are making decisions that need a philosophy change....... they need to hand over basketball operations to someone that is actually qualified to do so and stop running it like it's a PS3 video game. If that doesn't change and these mind blowing decisions that seem bi-polar continue from the FO than it won;t matter what we do short term, the long term will still be seriously in jeopardy. This is all on the the super ego's of the 2 Buss members driving this train wreck right now....... that has to change.
"If the wolf is the strength of the pack, the pack is the strength of the wolf"
MC

Postby hollywood swinger on Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:41 am

instead of blowing up the team how about we just put a suicide vest on MDA & blow him up?
the posting artist formally known as west-magic-kobe 8/2004
hollywood swinger

Postby JGC on Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:07 am

^ But then it would be a homicide vest.
JGC

Postby Psychobroker on Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:03 am

JGC wrote:
Psychobroker wrote:

Which center gets more touches than Dwight? Nobody that plays center should get more touches than Dwight Howard.

Don't know and don't care, but to say he "rarely gets the ball" is just flat out dishonest.
“Liberty cannot be preserved without a general knowledge among the people.”
- John Adams
"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. "
- Thomas Jefferson
"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."
- Mark Twain
Psychobroker

Postby JGC on Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:36 am

Psychobroker wrote:
JGC wrote:
Psychobroker wrote:

Don't know and don't care, but to say he "rarely gets the ball" is just flat out dishonest.

Yeah, you're right. He gets the ball from 17ft and beyond plenty. Let's keep doing that.
JGC

Postby easyguy on Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:37 am

Our only advantage now is our bigs. We cannot compete with the faster defense and offense playing the coach's game. We have to dump it inside and just hammer it inside. That will hopefully slow down the game enough for our slower guards. It is so obvious, but we are forcing the issue with the pick and roll and the fast pace game.
easyguy

Next

Return to Lakers Discussion