The OPTIMISM THREAD!

Re: The OPTIMISM THREAD!

Postby therealdeal on Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:18 pm

Alright so we've got a roster now and we've got our coach (probably) in Byron.

Without getting into the record of the team I think we're going to see a VERY motivated team out there. Let's visit some exhibits:

A: Kobe Bryant. Kind of speaks for itself really, but Kobe is the most motivated player I've ever seen. More than any Laker I can remember he's motivated to win and to prove anything to everybody. He's going to want to not only have a good season, but to have these kids grow with him. Not just because it's good for them and for LA, but because if these kids don't take on a lot of responsibility really quickly he won't sniff another Championship. He's going to be more motivated than anybody else in the League. I think we'll see shades of 2008-2009 Kobe if he stays healthy. Not necessarily in production, but in demeanor.

B: Byron Scott. Not only is this Byron's dream job, but he's been completely written off as a coach. It's shocking that a guy like Mike Brown gets a long-term 5 year deal from Cleveland, but Scott doesn't get much love. He's still one of Chris Paul's mentors. He was Kyrie Irving's favorite coach. The guy has his faults, but this is his moment. This is his opportunity. Everything in his coaching career has lead him to this point where he is the coach of a Laker team with no expectations. He'll be the most motivated coach we've had in a long, long time. Maybe more than Phil. Phil's greatness wasn't a byproduct of his appreciation of LA, it was his appreciation for the players. Scott wants it. I think we're going to see a guy fired up, working his butt off, and getting this group of young guys on the same page.

C: Lin. Jeremy Lin is going to want to really prove to the NBA that he's a starting caliber PG in this League. He has said he won't try to recapture Linsanity, but I think he'll have a career year here. Not just because of his opportunities, but because the Lakers are going to embrace this young man and give him room to grow.

D: Boozer. This guy needs another contract after this season whether it's in LA or not. He's just spent a long time in Chicago where he was treated pretty badly towards the end there. Was it with reason he was pushed out of the rotation? Yes probably. His situation was similar to Pau's over here. But for the money he's a bargain and he needs to prove that he's a top player again.

E: Randle. A young man with absolutely everything to prove. He wants to be the Rookie of the Year. He wants to be the man. He wants the challenge. I think we'll see some real flashes of greatness from him. I think he's ready to contribute right away, but I wouldn't be surprised if they treat him like they treated Kobe his first year. He'll be held back in some respects as the Lakers try to groom him into the next Lakers star.

F: Davis/Henry/Hill. They need to get long term deals and prove their worth in the NBA. I think there's great opportunity for each of them to do that. I think between these three we're going to see real fire and passion out there. Real grit and constant effort.

Honorable Mention: Nick Young. I don't know that Nick will be more or less motivated by this season, but I know he'll give us everything he's got. LA is home. The Lakers are his dream. He's going to want to go out there and perform for us.

I'm really looking forward to seeing a team with HEART that maximizes their opportunities. Will they win? Will they make it to the playoffs? I don't know. But if they don't, it won't be from lack of effort.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby LTLakerFan on Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:23 pm

:jam2: :jam2: :jam2: ^^^ :stunoice: :stunoice: :stunoice:
LTLakerFan

Postby NomisR on Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:57 pm

therealdeal wrote:Alright so we've got a roster now and we've got our coach (probably) in Byron.

Without getting into the record of the team I think we're going to see a VERY motivated team out there. Let's visit some exhibits:

A: Kobe Bryant. Kind of speaks for itself really, but Kobe is the most motivated player I've ever seen. More than any Laker I can remember he's motivated to win and to prove anything to everybody. He's going to want to not only have a good season, but to have these kids grow with him. Not just because it's good for them and for LA, but because if these kids don't take on a lot of responsibility really quickly he won't sniff another Championship. He's going to be more motivated than anybody else in the League. I think we'll see shades of 2008-2009 Kobe if he stays healthy. Not necessarily in production, but in demeanor.

B: Byron Scott. Not only is this Byron's dream job, but he's been completely written off as a coach. It's shocking that a guy like Mike Brown gets a long-term 5 year deal from Cleveland, but Scott doesn't get much love. He's still one of Chris Paul's mentors. He was Kyrie Irving's favorite coach. The guy has his faults, but this is his moment. This is his opportunity. Everything in his coaching career has lead him to this point where he is the coach of a Laker team with no expectations. He'll be the most motivated coach we've had in a long, long time. Maybe more than Phil. Phil's greatness wasn't a byproduct of his appreciation of LA, it was his appreciation for the players. Scott wants it. I think we're going to see a guy fired up, working his butt off, and getting this group of young guys on the same page.

C: Lin. Jeremy Lin is going to want to really prove to the NBA that he's a starting caliber PG in this League. He has said he won't try to recapture Linsanity, but I think he'll have a career year here. Not just because of his opportunities, but because the Lakers are going to embrace this young man and give him room to grow.

D: Boozer. This guy needs another contract after this season whether it's in LA or not. He's just spent a long time in Chicago where he was treated pretty badly towards the end there. Was it with reason he was pushed out of the rotation? Yes probably. His situation was similar to Pau's over here. But for the money he's a bargain and he needs to prove that he's a top player again.

E: Randle. A young man with absolutely everything to prove. He wants to be the Rookie of the Year. He wants to be the man. He wants the challenge. I think we'll see some real flashes of greatness from him. I think he's ready to contribute right away, but I wouldn't be surprised if they treat him like they treated Kobe his first year. He'll be held back in some respects as the Lakers try to groom him into the next Lakers star.

F: Davis/Henry/Hill. They need to get long term deals and prove their worth in the NBA. I think there's great opportunity for each of them to do that. I think between these three we're going to see real fire and passion out there. Real grit and constant effort.

Honorable Mention: Nick Young. I don't know that Nick will be more or less motivated by this season, but I know he'll give us everything he's got. LA is home. The Lakers are his dream. He's going to want to go out there and perform for us.

I'm really looking forward to seeing a team with HEART that maximizes their opportunities. Will they win? Will they make it to the playoffs? I don't know. But if they don't, it won't be from lack of effort.

Don't forget about Jordan Clarkson that would want to prove that he should've been a first round pick.
NomisR

Postby seasonVet24 on Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:47 pm

Also Wes Johnson. He has been working his butt off this off-season on his outside jumper. I think he's the X factor for us at SF. If he can consistently defend and hit the outside shots, this guy will be HUGE for us. :jam2: :jam2: :jam2:

Can't Wait!!!!
seasonVet24

Postby Weezy on Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:52 pm

Yeah, we may not win a ton of games, but at least I like our players again and can easily root for these guys. I've said it before and I know many don't agree, but I will take not being that good and liking my teams' players over being forced to root for Dwight Howard and being bounced in the first round. I don't think being insignificantly better is worth having to cheer on players you can't stand. For a championship, ok, that's a different story.

I don't think any year for me was worse than the Dwight Howard year. Last year only comes close or is maybe equal because of 'Antoni and so little Kobe, but it wasn't worse. So basically, I like our players, and like our soon to be coach, I'm much more optimistic about this team than I was a couple weeks ago. My only concern is Kobe staying healthy, I want to see him go out strong these last 2 seasons. If he's healthy most of the season, no way we can have a worse season than the last one. It's already better before it starts for me because I know I won't have to look at 'Antoni's stupid face while he spouts clichés in post game interviews, hear his cheesy "jokes", or listen to his "clever" self-deprecating comments.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Battle Tested20 on Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:54 pm

therealdeal wrote:Alright so we've got a roster now and we've got our coach (probably) in Byron.

couldn't have said it better
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby Lakerjones on Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:32 pm

^^ Agreed. Love it real deal!

I am actually getting excited about this team. I like all the players, and I like B. Scott as coach. I know we won't be winning a chip with this squad as currently structured, but I think we'll see something more akin to Lakers Basketball finally after three years of sketchiness.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:52 pm

I'm excited as well. We don't have a bunch of stars, outside of Kobe and maybe the future Randle, but we have some talented hard-working guys.

It will be fun to root for them.
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:48 pm

wait Optimism in the Optimism thread? Now I am optimistic that we can do something nice this season.
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby LOSLAKERS on Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:23 pm

Kobe, Randle and Boozer play with grit and a chip on their shoulder. Lin and Davis are gonna be playing for a new contract too. Pressure of playing in LA always makes people want to bring their A game as well. I am very optimistic about next season.
LOSLAKERS

Postby Chillbongo on Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:31 pm

Damn real, after reading your post you've got me thinking. Either your right or you're a goddamn good prose writer. They might be able to use your campaign writing in 2016.

For reals though, pound for pound we may have enough talent for the playoffs. Boozer is no Duncan, and Young is no Ginobli, but Hill is better than splitter and Kobe is better than Green. Lin isn't Parker but factor in our bench and I say we can matchup talent wise.

Why do I bring up the Spurs? Because if this team plays the right system, I feel we can be deadly. We can't be iso dependent or PnR dependent. We need a f***ing system. Kelly can be our Diaw, Nash can be our Mills.

We need a system. If we can get the system we can get the wins.
Chillbongo

Postby MadMax on Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:40 pm

puffyusaf#2 wrote:wait Optimism in the Optimism thread? Now I am optimistic that we can do something nice this season.

:jam2:
MadMax

Postby therealdeal on Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:56 pm

Chillbongo wrote:Damn real, after reading your post you've got me thinking. Either your right or you're a goddamn good prose writer. They might be able to use your campaign writing in 2016.

For reals though, pound for pound we may have enough talent for the playoffs. Boozer is no Duncan, and Young is no Ginobli, but Hill is better than splitter and Kobe is better than Green. Lin isn't Parker but factor in our bench and I say we can matchup talent wise.

Why do I bring up the Spurs? Because if this team plays the right system, I feel we can be deadly. We can't be iso dependent or PnR dependent. We need a f***ing system. Kelly can be our Diaw, Nash can be our Mills.

We need a system. If we can get the system we can get the wins.

Thanks man. :bow:

I think this team definitely has enough talent to be relatively successful. It'll depend on what Byron can do for them as a coach and as a leader. And of course on some luck in the health department.

The one thing I know is that Byron won't take 40 point losses as lightly as D'Antoni did. Not by a f***ing long shot.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby gcclaker on Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:09 pm

^Clarkson if he makes the cut could provide a spark in games. This squad may not have talent in spades but they will complete. They have more mobility and youth which will help defensively. Scott could get through to Johnson and get the most of his ability. Rotations could be more consistent instead of the guessing games of last season. They will still will be hard pressed to make the playoffs but at least they won't be doormats for a consecutive year.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby lukewaltonsdad on Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:14 pm

I'll say this much; a good coach brings out the best players and puts them in the best possible position to succeed on the basketball court. I seen a Carlisle coached team with an older Dirk, Monta Ellis, and additional pieces win 50+ games in a very tough western conference.

Now, understanding that Scott is no Carlisle with X's and O's, I can see them this team playing as a team, with Scott putting this team and players in the best possible position to win. As others have mentioned, it all comes down to getting a system installed on both ends and holding players accountable. That means everybody being in the right position, giving 100% effort, and playing Team First Basketball.

Additionally, it's Kobe's team; he automatically has a great relationship with Scott and will buy in immediately. The rest of the players will follow suit both off the floor with their work ethic and on the court giving 100% effort at all times because their leader (Kobe) is giving it at all times every moment he's on the court.

We'll see how the pieces fall into place. I'll tell though, though, I'm excited about this season. My expectations are tempered, but I hope we prove everyone wrong who's counted us out. I love being the underdog...
lukewaltonsdad

Postby Lets Go Lakers on Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:13 pm

I'm pretty excited for the upcoming season to be honest even though I know the playoffs is a pipe dream. Randle and Clarkson top my list. I'm dying to see what those two can do. Scott, the Laker legend, takes over and gives us presence (even though I seriously question his x's and o's, which is huge). Linsanity hopefully gives us a jolt. Davis might do some things along with Hill.
Lets Go Lakers

Postby Lets Go Lakers on Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:45 pm

gcclaker wrote:^Clarkson if he makes the cut could provide a spark in games. This squad may not have talent in spades but they will complete. They have more mobility and youth which will help defensively. Scott could get through to Johnson and get the most of his ability. Rotations could be more consistent instead of the guessing games of last season. They will still will be hard pressed to make the playoffs but at least they won't be doormats for a consecutive year.

Agreed. With a coach stressing D, we might get much more from Wes, who has all the talent in the world to be a ball stopper. Same with Clarkson, who I love. We have a lot of young pieces to be excited about.
Lets Go Lakers

Postby Lets Go Lakers on Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:54 pm

I honestly think Scott is going to sit down with Wes and try to convince him to be a ball stopper. He knows Wes has all the raw talent in the world to be a dominant defender. And he's going to tell him he could get paid next year if he JUST focuses on the defensive end. That should be a his calling card cause his offensive game has not come along as expected. There is value in being a great wing defender and i hope Wes sees the light cause man, that dude is freaken blessed with some amazing, God given athleticism.
Lets Go Lakers

Postby Weezy on Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:12 pm

Lets Go Lakers wrote:I honestly think Scott is going to sit down with Wes and try to convince him to be a ball stopper. He knows Wes has all the raw talent in the world to be a dominant defender. And he's going to tell him he could get paid next year if he JUST focuses on the defensive end. That should be a his calling card cause his offensive game has not come along as expected. There is value in being a great wing defender and i hope Wes sees the light cause man, that dude is freaken blessed with some amazing, God given athleticism.

You mean he won't be using Wes as a stretch 4? But our last brilliant coach made that work so well. :man4:
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby LakerFanIam on Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:25 pm

I'm just happy that I feel like I can actually get behind, care about & support this team… With no Kobe, a bunch of rentals, Gasol diminishing & D'Antoni as Coach, I honestly had zero emotional attachment to last year's team… Lin, Boozer & Davis will have to win me over, but I think they're solid additions…
LakerFanIam

Postby Toklat on Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:40 am

Kobe is going to pull a Rick Barry with this team....
Toklat

Postby LTLakerFan on Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:22 am

NomisR wrote:

Don't forget about Jordan Clarkson that would want to prove that he should've been a first round pick.

Great read, 2nd time around. But I missed it the first time....in addition to Clarkson needing to be in there as well (hopefully) Ryan Kelly needs to be looked forward to as well. Very excited to see him after a full summer of work. Anyone know where he lives and hangs out in the off season? Not a peep, texts or anything. I think he is an all business type of player.
LTLakerFan

Postby LTLakerFan on Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:30 am

Toklat wrote:Kobe is going to pull a Rick Barry with this team....

I didn't want to have to ask but you are going back a looong way. For everyone here too young and / or with short memories..... what is Kobe shooting for here? :jsm:
LTLakerFan

Postby jlkr on Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:34 pm

LTLakerFan wrote:
Toklat wrote:Kobe is going to pull a Rick Barry with this team....

I didn't want to have to ask but you are going back a looong way. For everyone here too young and / or with short memories..... what is Kobe shooting for here? :jsm:

Per Wikipedia, Rick Barry was considered one of the greatest "underdog" players in the game as his teams repeatedly overachieved despite the apparent lack of talent around him. Barry had just one teammate in his entire career who played at an All-Star or HOF level with Barry, that was Nate Thurmond. Jamaal Wilkes was Rookie of the Year in 1975 when the Warriors won their only championship. The Warriors won just 48 games during the regular season while the Washington Bullets won 60, yet the Warriors swept the Bullets 4-0 in one of the most shocking Finals upsets ever. In all likelihood, while there have certainly been upsets, we haven't seen a more shocking result since with the possible exception of the 2004 Pistons over the Lakers.

Barry moved his game away from the rim (and scored less) as a result of a nagging knee injury and became the prototype for the "point forward" position. Something we'll definitely see Kobe doing as Scott thinks he'll play Kobe at the point on occasion.
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

--Robert Frost
jlkr

Postby LTLakerFan on Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:01 pm

Down with that!! :kobe1:
LTLakerFan

PreviousNext