The Optimistic Thread! (TRD's FREEDOM THREAD!)

Re: The Optimistic Thread!

Postby lakersyunowin on Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:03 pm

well one thing's for sure, the offensive system will be easier for players to understand and pick up...so learning curve shouldn't be bad at all. esp when nash returns to take the helm.
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:09 pm

were gonna score a billion points per game and nash is gonna get me a ton of assists on my fantasy team. those are about the only positive things i can say for now.
CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby Snakell Beast on Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:39 pm

OK, this is the optimistic thread, so I will tell you why I feel optimistic about Mike D'Antoni as the Lakers head coach.

Our bench will get more shots and more playing time. One of the primary considerations for adding a new head coach had to be the development of our bench. Our starters are experienced veterans with high IQs who can adapt to any system. For all the talk of the Princeton offense, the lack of production from our bench (Mike never really used the bench players, much like Phil) was the primary reason for the team's poor record and inconsistent scoring under Mike Brown, even including last season...which was Pre-Princeton.

The coach who can get more playing time, more shots and more confidence and comfort for our bench going forward is the coach who, IMHO, will give the Lakers the best chance to win a championship. Phil's Lakers lost their bid for a three peat due to an inadequately prepared bench. Depth is huge these days, and a winning team must give playing time to their bench during the regular season.

Our team will still be a great defensive team, in time. Our team has many players who know how to play defense. We have veteran all-star talent leading the team by example in practice and in games. If Mike D'Antoni simply stays out of their way, and let's them play defense for themselves, he should not have to worry about fielding questions regarding the team's lack of defense.

Phil Jackson was my primary choice, but Mike D'Antoni still excites me, and I truly believe (as I did before he became the Lakers coach) that he has what it takes to be a champion as a head coach. Honestly, I think he is a better coach than Erik Spoelstra, and the Heat just won. Stay Calm, Lakers fans, the last few games gave us an adequate preview of exactly why a more up-tempo, open offensive philosophy is better for our PG, better for our bench, and ultimately probably better for re-signing Dwight Howard.

Will it prove to be better for winning the championship? For that, we will have to wait and see. For now, I am choosing to be optimistic...
The End is nigh. Time for a total Cut and Shuffle. Kobe contract was a mistake...time to avoid making more. The future is here, whether we want it to be or not. An era is over, but for the death rattle, and it's time for the cycle to begin anew. Growth and change are scary and painful, but alas...nothing worth achieving comes easily.
Snakell Beast

Postby LOSLAKERS on Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:25 pm

I can watch Kobe score 30 every game :bow:
LOSLAKERS

Postby GoldHammish on Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:32 pm

Battle Tested20 wrote:
Finwë wrote:
therealdeal wrote:Alright, alright you got it. Only pictures.

I think videos should be allowed.. Pics, gifs, short clips.

How long do you have to do this Real?? and if you don't mind, what was the bet :man11:

Going off memory... I think he has to do it a month(?) And it was because Brown got fired before his discussion topic hit x number of pages... Maybe it was 175 pages? 200?
GoldHammish

Postby Jellincon on Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:05 pm

GoldHammish wrote:
Battle Tested20 wrote:
Finwë wrote:
therealdeal wrote:Alright, alright you got it. Only pictures.

I think videos should be allowed.. Pics, gifs, short clips.

How long do you have to do this Real?? and if you don't mind, what was the bet :man11:

Going off memory... I think he has to do it a month(?) And it was because Brown got fired before his discussion topic hit x number of pages... Maybe it was 175 pages? 200?

Jellincon

Postby Vasashi17 on Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:28 pm

Showtime is back ba....

What? Oh, Nash is out for 2 weeks...okay thx.

In two weeks, Showtime is back ba....

WHAT!? Oh, average age of the team is 38 + 32 + 34 +....well "old as ish"...oh..thx.

In two weeks, a slower version of Showtime is back ba...

Seriously...what is it this time...uh-huh, Kobe just reinjured his foot...

F it! Just win.....baby!
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby Tobias Funke on Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:11 pm

Well, Pringles is better than Brown, and I really thought we had a shot to overcome Brown's nonsense and atleast win the West once we started to gel (yes, with the Princeton).

I still think we can win the West once we get rolling. Im going to give us a while to see what offense MDA puts together for this squad, and what potential trades or signings we go through with. He already said it wont be anything as uptempo as we've seen from him in the past (and honestly I didnt think he was that dumb anyways), so it'll be interesting to see what he comes up with. Defensively we'll get better as Dwight gets better.
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

Tobias Funke

Postby revgen on Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:39 pm

Showtime!!...with Darius Morris.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby lotus on Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:42 pm

It's more like Slowtime with this roster. A roster change leads to Showtime!
lotus

Postby Finwë on Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:59 pm

We played a solid game against the Spurs with 2 PGs out (Nash being one of them) and no real coach.

Our D is looking better.

Kobe is THAT GUY.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby revgen on Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:01 pm

^On top of that, our 2 bigs didn't even have a good game either. I'm amazed we were even that close with them.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby Finwë on Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:03 pm

revgen wrote:^On top of that, our 2 bigs didn't even have a good game either. I'm amazed we were even that close with them.

Yeah. We're good, and we're gonna get better. I think Pau needs to go though
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby karacha on Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:03 pm

At least this game gives me hope that we'll compete for the championship with Nash and MDA running the offense. If we can almost win against SAS without 2 main point guards and with the coach that "stays out of the way" and with Pau doing absolutely nothing... yeah. Not bad at all.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakersyunowin on Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:09 pm

we hung with a legit team without our starting pg, head coach, and a pau gasol shooting 30-something% on the year

a win would have been nice, but i guess that's just being greedy.
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby bruddahmanmatt on Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:10 pm

We looked 100x better tonight than we ever did under Brown this season...and we did it without our starting and backup lead guards and with an interim head coach. I ain't even mad tho.
P&G
bruddahmanmatt

Postby Tobias Funke on Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:23 pm

karacha wrote:At least this game gives me hope that we'll compete for the championship with Nash and MDA running the offense. If we can almost win against SAS without 2 main point guards and with the coach that "stays out of the way" and with Pau doing absolutely nothing... yeah. Not bad at all.

Yep, alot of room for improvement. Hell, Morris was our starting PG, and him, Ron and Pau accounted for two fifths of our shot total, while connecting at under 20% (this is a huge problem by the way), so Id say it couldve been worse.
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

Tobias Funke

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:26 pm

If Clown was still coaching we would have lost by 20
JoelMyersScrotalSack

Postby basilhayden on Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:26 pm

I have faith that Europansy won't be on the roster at the end of the year!

Have to keep my hopes up!! :jam2:
basilhayden

Postby Weezy on Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:34 pm

We were in it, it was competitive. We were playing a top NBA team and for a change we weren't down 20 by the 3rd quarter, we looked like we belonged up there with them. Our defense was also a positive, they had 38 points at halftime, our defense definitely looks better.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby wcsoldier81 on Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:35 pm

D12 blitzed the Spurs PNR Miami style
wcsoldier81

Postby Jellincon on Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:35 pm

We were able to hang with a Spurs team that was basically at full strength while we had key players missing.

Every game I've seen improvement since "you know who" was axed.

Can't wait till Nash gets back so we can see what this team is really capable of.
Jellincon

Postby BDG on Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:37 pm

Really encouraged by this game even in a loss.

Gimme Nash and a decent coach who has instituted an offensive system and we probably cruise to an easy win tonight.

We lost to the Spurs on a last-second shot while playing pickup ball. The potential is there.
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby nthydro on Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:38 pm

Weezy wrote:We were in it, it was competitive. We were playing a top NBA team and for a change we weren't down 20 by the 3rd quarter, we looked like we belonged up there with them. Our defense was also a positive, they had 38 points at halftime, our defense definitely looks better.

And we were without our PGs. I'm surprised at how well we played. Night and day difference compared to a week ago.
nthydro

Postby easyguy on Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:39 pm

I'm not worried about the Spurs, I want to see the Lakers with Heats and Thunders.
easyguy

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion