The Optimistic Thread! (TRD's FREEDOM THREAD!)

Re: The Optimistic Thread!

Postby borri on Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:00 pm

Because my GF is a fan of D12, I have been able to watch every Laker game except one. :jam2:

Last year was forced to miss half of the first 20 games. Bad part is, i have to watch games with the GF now. Odd experience.
borri

Postby Punk-101 on Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:11 pm

This team has a between-the-ears problem. I'm thinking maybe they are subconsciously going through the motions until Nash gets back....

:man3: ??
“Action has meaning only in relationship; and without understanding relationship, action on any level will only breed conflict. The understanding of relationship is infinitely more important than the search for any plan of action.”
-Jiddu Krishnamurti
Punk-101

Postby trodgers on Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:13 pm

It does seem that there's a significant mental part to their struggles. They turned it on for Bickerstaff, and they pretty quickly turned it back off for D'Antoni.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby Nashty Gal on Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:18 pm

I didn't throw up
The Black Mamba and the White Swan
Kobe on talk with Pau about being more aggressive, "it's against his nature, he's always very nice, very white swan, I need him to be black swan"

http://www.thesexysaxman.com
Nashty Gal

Postby dj vitus on Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:19 pm

Janine Garcia wrote:I didn't throw up

:man4: Mad respect. :jam2:
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
dj vitus

Postby Punk-101 on Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:21 pm

trodgers wrote:It does seem that there's a significant mental part to their struggles. They turned it on for Bickerstaff, and they pretty quickly turned it back off for D'Antoni.

Here's what I think.

Under Bernie, it was: "Just use your talent to play offense and defense. Don't think too hard."

Under D'Antoni, it is: "Do your best to learn this new offense (at the expense of focusing on defense) until Steve gets back, then you won't have to think so much cause he can run this blindfolded. Once Steve is able to do the offensive thinking for you guys, you'll be able to use more brain power on defense."

(please let this be the case)
“Action has meaning only in relationship; and without understanding relationship, action on any level will only breed conflict. The understanding of relationship is infinitely more important than the search for any plan of action.”
-Jiddu Krishnamurti
Punk-101

Postby Ariza3 on Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:27 pm

Duhon is a SOLID backup PG and holding down the fort for Nash very well. Doing exactly what Nash will do for us minus a little bit obviously.

Meeks shooting well.
Ariza3

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:37 am

Two things that stick out to me going forward that I think we can rely upon when we have a healthy roster; our bench which was worst in the league last year at 20.3 ppg is a lot better. Meeks, Jamison, & Hill are playing good basketball for the most part. Duhon will add to that bench when Nash gets back healthy.

Three-point shooting. Everybody is shooting well right now. It might curtail a bit but for the most part, but I think we can stay in the top ten which is a major improvement in comparison to last year where we ranked near the bottom of the league.
dwighthowardsdad

Postby borri on Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:24 pm

I still love the Lakers.
borri

Postby karacha on Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:35 pm

I'm glad to see that this thread is still going strong. I'm not sure what else to write at this point. Hopefully, it's going to be great once Nash comes back...

...which should be any day now, right? :man12:
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby gcclaker on Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:22 pm

When Nash returns and Gasol too then we'll know what they are capable of. Whenever that it... :man1:
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby LakerFan1235 on Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:35 pm

karacha wrote:I'm glad to see that this thread is still going strong. I'm not sure what else to write at this point. Hopefully, it's going to be great once Nash comes back...

...which should be any day now, right? :man12:

Yeah of course, didn't you hear? They said that he might possibly maybe have a possible shot at maybe returning sometime during this four game trip...
Every time I begin to ask, "Is he really as great as I think he is?" ...He proves that he is.
Every time I begin to wonder...He proves it...That is why I won't lose hope in him.
You know who I am talking about.
LakerFan1235

Postby Whatthef? on Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:41 pm

If the Lakers are the 8th seed in the playoffs, they would only have to play a five game series against the best team in the West.
Whatthef?

Postby khmrP on Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:54 pm

Whatthef? wrote:If the Lakers are the 8th seed in the playoffs, they would only have to play a five game series against the best team in the West.

wtf? 5 games? :man3:
khmrP

Postby Punk-101 on Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:28 pm

lakerswiz wrote:
Punk-101 wrote:
trodgers wrote:It does seem that there's a significant mental part to their struggles. They turned it on for Bickerstaff, and they pretty quickly turned it back off for D'Antoni.

Here's what I think.

Under Bernie, it was: "Just use your talent to play offense and defense. Don't think too hard."

Under D'Antoni, it is: "Do your best to learn this new offense (at the expense of focusing on defense) until Steve gets back, then you won't have to think so much cause he can run this blindfolded. Once Steve is able to do the offensive thinking for you guys, you'll be able to use more brain power on defense."

(please let this be the case)

I've thought about this too.

But they seem to simply be playing pick up with P&R a majority of the time. How much offense is D'Antoni actually teaching to these kids?

And on that point - what is D'Antoni teaching to these kids?

MDA said that they've barely even scratched the surface of the offense, so you're right. They're completely clueless. Maybe the players feel like "WTF are we supposed to be doing, just buying time until Nash gets back?", causing them to subconsciously go through the motions and be absent-minded on D...
-Jiddu Krishnamurti
Punk-101

Postby therealdeal on Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:08 am

I am free!
I’ve hijacked my optimistic thread to post my first written thoughts since November the 10th. I hope you’ll all forgive me. But I come to you CL, in the Lakers’ moment of need. I hope to bring to you the enduring optimism that has helped me stay positive through this entire ordeal. And without further adieu…

My friends! Hearken to my words! There’s much to be positive about!

Our team has shown in flashes exactly what it’s capable of. We’ve beaten some good teams (Brooklyn and Denver among them)! We’ve shown that when we need to play defense we can, although it’s been a while since we’ve seen that…

What I haven’t seen many people around here say (I think I saw Punk say it maybe?) is that this team seems to be waiting for Steve Nash. In my opinion, D’Antoni isn’t doing much coaching right now. Outside of finding the guys he likes and the rotations that work, I don’t see him doing much coaching. Neither offensively or defensively. He seems to be the exact opposite in fact of Brown in that Brown micromanaged and I think D’Antoni is doing too much macromanaging.

He seems to be waiting for the return of our Hall of Fame Quarterback, our 6 foot savior, our Captain Canada, and I don’t blame him. Steve Nash’s return will allow for so many things…

1. Less Kobe-ball which is proving detrimental this season, like it was last season at times.

2. Less fast break opportunities by other teams since we’ll have better shots, they’ll be in the right spaces, and they’ll hopefully be going in at a higher percentage.

3. More effective Pick and Roll since although I think Kobe is trying, he’s simply not Steve Nash.

4. Better spacing, not only because Nash will be on the floor as one of the best shooters ever, but because he’s the famed quarterback of this offense that can and will put guys in the right spots.

5. Better defense because Nash will make the offense more smooth and once that happens, the guys will get confident, they’ll be willing to do more, they’ll work that little bit harder, and things will bounce our way just a little more.

6. Fun. He’ll just bring back a little bit of that fun we saw.

7. He’ll keep Kobe from getting tired and making so many mistakes.

8. It forces Duhon back to the bench where they really need someone to set them up.

9. Leadership. He’ll be able to counter Kobe’s “give me the ball” attitude (which I think in fairness is reflected in the coaching staff) and the two of them will work together to keep each other fresh.

10. Winning. When Nash gets back, all of those things start falling into place, and soon we’ll get back on the right track again. It’s still a young season and while I think the team is starting to stress on the results, Nash is the guy that can and will make these things better.

In addition to that, Gasol will be back soon. While I think that it’s likely Gasol is traded before the deadline and I don’t think Nash can save him, Gasol will be good for a few things:

1. Mike Brown’s favorite: length. Jamison tries, but he’s easy to bully because he just doesn’t have the size that Gasol does. Utah went to town on us down low just with bully ball. Gasol is no defensive stalwart, but he’s better than Jamison.

2. Jamison goes back to the bench where he along with Meeks and Duhon and Hill combine to form a really nice bench for our starting five.

3. Less pressure on Kobe. Since Gasol has been gone Kobe is relied upon to do almost all of the heavy lifting. Howard is given the ball as well, but without looking at the numbers I wouldn’t be surprised if Kobe has taken 3 times as many shots as Howard since Gasol has left.

In conclusion, and without a moment to spare, stay positive my CL brethren! The end of the darkness is upon us. There’s much to be down about and we as a fan base are in a state of shock, probably as much as the players themselves, on how this season has started out. It hasn’t been easy and there’ll still be problems to fix, but when Nash comes back that list of problems shrinks to one thing and one thing only: how hungry is this team?

When you’ve got Kobe, Nash, and Howard on your team I wouldn’t worry about hunger at all.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby XXIV on Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:13 am

Great post real and welcome back. :jam2:

I agree that it really does appear that the team (including MDA) is waiting for Nash's return. However, now it's been said that Nash is at least another two weeks away from returning due to a nerve issue in his leg. The longer the team actually waits for Nash the harder it will be for them to come back from this deficit of a record. They should forget about him for the time being and really begin trying to win games, because for the time being it's really uncertain when Nash will come back. As this is the optimistic thread I will say that this team just has too much talent to be losing these games. Eventually we'll begin to click and when that happens the rest of the league better watch out.
XXIV

Re: The Optimistic Thread! (TRD's FREEDOM THREAD!)

Postby therealdeal on Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:23 am

I'm with you completely. Nash isn't going to come back and be a magical rainbow to the Western Conference Finals. The team has to do the work without him as well.

When you're missing two of the highly touted four guys that we were all excited about, it's easy to see why they're down. And given the expectations of the seaon, it's easy to see why they're stressing too much.

I think one thing Nash will do for them is make the game fun again which will get them to relax and that'll help things along as well. I can't imagine it's fun playing for Kobe right now with the team struggling and his wilting stare killing everyone in the room. But you're right, these guys are too talented to be losing to the likes of Orlando and Utah.

They'll come around.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Punk-101 on Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:26 am

"Maybe it was punk"? Its the post above yours, jack@$$! :man10:
-Jiddu Krishnamurti
Punk-101

Postby therealdeal on Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:27 am

:man10:

Hey I'm a little out of it alright, it's been a while.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby LooN3y on Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:35 am

that was a relieving post from a CL OG, but forgive me if im stil pessimistic. because when it starts turning i want to jump in joy and shed tears of joy.
LooN3y

Postby DarthRekal on Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:36 pm

MARCH is only 3 months AWAY... :jam2:
Lakers Motto: HOF Guards, We MAKE 'Em... HOF Centers, We TAKE 'Em

DarthRekal
Cookie Monster

Postby Weezy on Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:40 pm

Let's see, optimistic... optimistic. Oh! We might get a very high draft pick this offseason... oh wait, oops.

Honestly optimistic, Kobe's still got it, if the rest of the team can raise their level we at least have Kobe being consistent and plugging along,.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:45 pm

Kobe had a great game.
dwighthowardsdad

Postby lakersyunowin on Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:49 pm

the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion