The Optimistic Thread! (TRD's FREEDOM THREAD!)

Re: The Optimistic Thread! (TRD's FREEDOM THREAD!)

Postby Showtime.Revival.05 on Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:16 pm

when we played with energy and focus on both ends at the beginning of the game we looked like an actual team. was kind of refreshing
Showtime.Revival.05
Clublakers Analyst

Postby Ariza3 on Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:58 pm

honestly we played pretty well on both ends the first quarter and for the first half of the 2nd quarter. but guys lost all their energy for the rest of the game. but that was due to the fact that they're not used to playing big minutes and kind of mismanaged their energy I thought.

prob would have won if sacre didn't foul on so many and-1's haha jkjk
Ariza3

Postby Nashty Gal on Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:54 am

We're gonna go W crazy! When Steve Blake is back

The Black Mamba and the White Swan
Kobe on talk with Pau about being more aggressive, "it's against his nature, he's always very nice, very white swan, I need him to be black swan"

http://www.thesexysaxman.com
Nashty Gal

Postby revgen on Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:35 pm

If we play defense like we did in the 4th quarter on a consistent basis, we'll turn this around.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby noobiew on Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:37 pm

Moral victory today perhaps?

And more importantly we have found another guy for the rotation that can score, defend, and rebound in Earl Clark.
Michael Jordan : "My Chicago team are the all-time greatest"
Magic Johnson : "Put me with Kareem, James Worthy, Cooper and Byron Scott, and we'd dominate your Bulls team"
noobiew

Postby alexthegreat on Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:41 pm

Clark can ball. MWP can still ball. Heart and hunger seemed to have returned to the Lakers
alexthegreat

Postby revgen on Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:43 pm

noobiew wrote:Moral victory today perhaps?

And more importantly we have found another guy for the rotation that can score, defend, and rebound in Earl Clark.

We can't afford moral victories at this point. Those are for games in November.

This is January. We should know what we should be doing right now.

revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:45 pm

revgen wrote:If we play defense like we did in the 4th quarter on a consistent basis, we'll turn this around.

If only it were that simple
JoelMyersScrotalSack

Postby khmrP on Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:47 pm

I dont expect Clark to repeat that performance but I appreciated it :jam2:
khmrP

Postby v1n5anity on Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:47 pm

revgen wrote:If we play defense like we did in the 4th quarter on a consistent basis, we'll turn this around.

Why does this team not show the sense of urgency from tip-off? I just don't understand.

Aynways, since this is the optimistic thread I'll add something positive by saying that Clark could be a useful bench player in certain matchups. He's honestly better than anything Ebanks has shown.
v1n5anity

Postby revgen on Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:48 pm

JoelMyersScrotalSack wrote:

If only it were that simple

It is that simple.

It's just not easy to do. We have to work hard to establish these good habits. It's not going to happen overnight.

revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:49 pm

well I'll be one of the few to post a real optimistic post:

Each game we seem to be getting closer and closer. It is frustrating to see teams build leads on us but I am happy to finally see the "heart" from this team. We are not out of the playoff race and we are not dead and done. I still believe that we are just on the "cusp" of turning the corner and going on a great winning streak. We just have to break that damn "W" seal.
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby Weezy on Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:50 pm

noobiew wrote:Moral victory today perhaps?

There are no moral victories this late in the season this far out of the playoffs, but yes Clark was a bright spot.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby revgen on Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:50 pm

V1n5anity wrote:

Why does this team not show the sense of urgency from tip-off? I just don't understand.

Aynways, since this is the optimistic thread I'll add something positive by saying that Clark could be a useful bench player in certain matchups. He's honestly better than anything Ebanks has shown.

They showed that intensity from the tipoff against Houston to start the 1st quarter, then stopped playing defense for the rest of the game. Tonight, they played D in short spurts until the end of the game where they had a long stretch. It's about focus and intensity for 48 minutes.

I agree that Clark has shown more than Ebanks has in the last 2 years. I hope we see more minutes from him.

revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby GoldenKnight on Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:55 pm

Earl Clark

CHECK OUT MY DESIGNS ON FB/INSTAGRAM/TWITTER: @GoldenKnightGFX
GoldenKnight

Postby phoenixrisingla on Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:56 pm

Glad to see some resilience from the guys tonight. They played their hearts out.

Moral victories are getting emptier and emptier however...
phoenixrisingla

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:58 pm

I don't like Hill, Howard, or Gasol being out, obvously. However, at least it gives the chance to evaluate this roster and what we have; for instance, we may have found something in Clark and he wouldn't get the time unless there were injuries. Hopefully, he can harness that into every game.

The defense was solid for a good stretch. Rotations were good, guys gave effort; it makes you wonder where it was the whole game. Oh, well. I can't really complain. We're missing two starters and our best bench player and still made a game out of it against one of the best teams in the league. I guess it is something to be optimistic about...
dwighthowardsdad

Postby v1n5anity on Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:00 pm

revgen wrote:
V1n5anity wrote:

They showed that intensity from the tipoff against Houston to start the 1st quarter, then stopped playing defense for the rest of the game. Tonight, they played D in short spurts until the end of the game where they had a long stretch. It's about focus and intensity for 48 minutes.

I agree that Clark has shown more than Ebanks has in the last 2 years. I hope we see more minutes from him.

I missed yesterday's game, but you're definitely right about today. We had a long stretch in the 4th where we probably played our best D of the season. I just hope they figure out how to keep that intensity and focus up on the defensive end for the entire game -- and quick. Our window is closing.
v1n5anity

Postby lakersyunowin on Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:12 pm

GoldenKnight wrote:Earl Clark
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby XXIV on Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:12 pm

Earl Clark, as well as the fact that we were able to make the game close despite not having 2 of our starters and our best bench player.
XXIV

Postby BDG on Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:03 pm

Isn't this basically every game for the Lakers as of late?

Dig a deep hole then tighten up defensively in the 4th quarter and we almost come back and win?

It's very frustrating but I guess also a positive sign that we're able to do it in stretches.
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby Ariza3 on Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:13 pm

basically they show some improvement in the 4th quarter and get the game close and then it doesn't carry over to the next game and 1st quarter there we suck
Ariza3

Postby trodgers on Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:06 am

Doc Brown wrote:1.) Trade Pau + scraps for an athletic wing defender/shooter and stretch 4

2.) Sign Delonte

3.) Build some chemistry

4.) Sneak into the playoffs as the 6-8 seed

5.) Shock the world

ANYTHING...is possible!
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:08 am

If you can't find SOMETHING to be optimistic about from these last two games here's some help:

In the fourth quarter of last night's game we held San Antonio to only 23 points. We played swarming defense for probably 4 minutes and wreaked havoc on their offense.

Against a full strength San Antonio squad, missing key players once again, we came within one shot of Overtime/Winning the game. We can beat this team.

Earl Clark might not be an offensive genius, but he certainly can give us defense and rebounding. In the last two games without any of our rotation playing big men, he's given us a total of 22 rebounds.

Steve Nash in the last two games has given us 15/9.5/4 with a steal while shooting 55% and perfect from the line.

Metta World Peace has scored 24 points and 23 points in the last two games, helping take on that scoring dip without our big men. In the last two games: 23.5 points/ 7 rebounds/ 5 steals averaged. While shooting 53% from the field and 54% from deep.

He had SEVEN steals last night.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby nickvanexel on Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:13 am

It's okay to be optimistic about actually found a potential good player on our bench. When we're gonna start using our bench better, chemistry will kick in...
nickvanexel

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion