The Optimistic Thread! (TRD's FREEDOM THREAD!)

Re: The Optimistic Thread! (TRD's FREEDOM THREAD!)

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:14 am

Watching this team so far this season has been utterly frustrating. But the last two nights were what I was hoping for even if we lost both games.

I've seen more heart. I've seen more energy. I've seen them lock down defensively in stretches, something they haven't done ever. There's a ray of hope still for me and that's because I can see the wheels turning. Our team is like that car hanging off of a cliff in a movie. We're just about to fall off and the main character is mashing the gas pedal on the four-wheel drive. The wheels are turning and turning but we're still falling.

These last two games have given me hope that the wheels will catch and we'll be able to come off of this ledge. It's a slim chance, so slim that I can barely see it at times, but it's there. If this team can just capture what they had in that fourth quarter for TWO or THREE quarters a night, they'll win games. If they can get an entire game looking like last night they can make a run and make the playoffs. From there, we'll have to see, but it's possible. We've seen that this team can still make some noise. We saw last night against a VERY good team that our team can still do some GREAT things.

Fan is short for fanatic and that's how I follow this team: with insane faith. Maybe foolishly sometimes, but you can't be a die hard fan if you don't die hard with your team.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:20 am

One last thing. Here's the stats from San Antonio's Core guys:

Parker: 10/16 24 points/ 6 assists/ 3 rebounds/ 2 steals 6 turnovers
Duncan: 4/13 8 points/ 7 rebounds/ 5 assists/ 4 blocks
Ginobili: 6/14 (2/7 from Three) 19 points/ 8 rebounds/ 4 assists/ 1 steal

We made these three guys work pretty hard, specifically Duncan had fits which is surprising given our lack of interior players last night. Parker had 6 turnovers so while he scored, we actually made his play making more of a non-factor. Ginobili scored his points, but we made him miss from deep.

The ones that beat us were actually Spiller and Jackson. If we had just one of our bigs back (Howard) that'd limit Spiller's effectiveness and it would allow us to move Artest to Jackson which would have limited him.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby khmrP on Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:26 am

^^^artest was on Jackson for those 3 of the 4 3's he hit. He just completly lost him, i.e. the the 3 at top of the arc where Peace ran into the paint for no reason when there were no other spurs in there yet and Jackson just runs into a wide open transition 3.
khmrP

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:29 am

khmrP wrote:^^^artest was on Jackson for those 3 of the 4 3's he hit. He just completly lost him, i.e. the the 3 at top of the arc where Peace ran into the paint for no reason when there were no other spurs in there yet and Jackson just runs into a wide open transition 3.

True, but the point is if you take Artest off of Jackson, who guards Manu? Then who guards Timmy? Then who guards Tony Parker? You know what I'm getting at?

We have to hide Nash somewhere, preferably not on anyone who is a legitimate scoring option. Unfortunately we don't have enough competent perimeter defenders to get the job done. If Artest's sole assignment was to guard Jackson, I have no doubt he would put Jackson in a box and make him his b****. But Artest last night was leaned on, especially in our run, to be the disruptor. He's a great disruptor, but he's a better one-on-one guy.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby khmrP on Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:37 am

therealdeal wrote:
khmrP wrote:^^^artest was on Jackson for those 3 of the 4 3's he hit. He just completly lost him, i.e. the the 3 at top of the arc where Peace ran into the paint for no reason when there were no other spurs in there yet and Jackson just runs into a wide open transition 3.

True, but the point is if you take Artest off of Jackson, who guards Manu? Then who guards Timmy? Then who guards Tony Parker? You know what I'm getting at?

We have to hide Nash somewhere, preferably not on anyone who is a legitimate scoring option. Unfortunately we don't have enough competent perimeter defenders to get the job done. If Artest's sole assignment was to guard Jackson, I have no doubt he would put Jackson in a box and make him his b****. But Artest last night was leaned on, especially in our run, to be the disruptor. He's a great disruptor, but he's a better one-on-one guy.

yea he was a good disruptor for sure, I harp on him but honestly everyone is getting lose on the perimiter
khmrP

Postby wcsoldier81 on Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:39 am

Story of this team for some seasons ... the perimeter players like Metta and Kobe are running/staying into the paint for no reason and the opponent wings are getting wide open three one after the other
wcsoldier81

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:14 am

khmrP wrote:
therealdeal wrote:

yea he was a good disruptor for sure, I harp on him but honestly everyone is getting lose on the perimiter

Yeah, but last night wasn't necessarily his fault. He was just doing whatever he could. Give us one of our bigs back, and things balance out better and that defensive surge at the end gets even stronger.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:14 am

wcsoldier81 wrote:

Story of this team for some seasons ... the perimeter players like Metta and Kobe are running/staying into the paint for no reason and the opponent wings are getting wide open three one after the other

Not optimism.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby kobe2413 on Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:39 am

i still believe in this team! count me in!
KOBE BRYANT = G.O.A.T.

http://youtu.be/dtWbTZbfkI8 : fans of the greatest basketball team in europe: Panathinaikos
kobe2413

Postby karacha on Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:43 am

I like Clark. He is very energetic, long and rebounds extremely well. I think MDA can use him in his regular rotation to back up Ron/Kobe. If he doesn't give us points on a consistent basis, at least he'll play D and rebound, and that's huge for this team.

Also, I think our guys are playing with more passion now. This should be enough for the Lakers to sneak into the playoffs, if Pau and Dwight can be "infected" with this energy. Pau more then Dwight obviously. This kind of positive attitude also builds chemistry. Something we desperately need.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby borri on Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:17 pm

If Clark puts together consistent consecutive performances at 50% of his offensive output against SAS and maintains his intensity and hustle defensively.....we've found another J. Hill here folks.
borri

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:20 pm

^ Say that happens, which is possibly but unlikely (we could have another Ebanks on our hands as well). What's our rotation look like?

Nash/Duhon
Kobe/Meeks
Artest/Kobe
Gasol/Artest/Clark
Howard/Hill/Clark

Still not enough minutes...
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby borri on Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:25 pm

therealdeal wrote:^ Say that happens, which is possibly but unlikely (we could have another Ebanks on our hands as well). What's our rotation look like?

Nash/Duhon
Kobe/Meeks
Artest/Kobe
Gasol/Artest/Clark
Howard/Hill/Clark

Still not enough minutes...

IF that happens...and that's a pretty big IF, it can offer us some flexibility in terms of a Gasol trade. We can afford to do a big for small, which obviously usually is a bad thing. Now we have depth at the 4 and 5, with Hill and Clark at the 3 and 4.
borri

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:31 pm

^ That's what I was thinking too actually. He doesn't have to give us a double-double honestly. If he can just come out with the same energy and passion he showed last night, even if he's not productive, that'll help us immensely. More than what Gasol is giving us right now.

That means we could trade Gasol for more 2/3 depth, maybe 1/2 depth.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:35 pm

Last night gave me renewed hope for this season. Earl Clark was obviously terrific, but the fact that we even had a chance to tie the game with all those guys out Dwight, Hill, and Gasol speaks volumes. If we can win tommorow night against Oklahoma City then we could go on a long winning streak.
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby borri on Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:43 pm

Kobe should call Ron Harper and have him come in and teach Clark how to play smart defense, play the right angles.

Imagine if Clark can learn how to play smart D like Ron harper, we'd have a gem on our hands at the defensive end. His length and athleticism would give 2's fits.
borri

Postby Doc Brown on Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:14 pm

Texas Lakers Fan wrote:Last night gave me renewed hope for this season. Earl Clark was obviously terrific, but the fact that we even had a chance to tie the game with all those guys out Dwight, Hill, and Gasol speaks volumes. If we can win tommorow night against Oklahoma City then we could go on a long winning streak.

I think your username should be Spatula.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby themasterphil on Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:32 pm

if we look at the next 10 games after OKC( that game is 98% loss) they have chance to go for a big run
CLE(W), Mil (W), MIA(L), TOR(W), CHI(W), MEM ( L), UTH (W) , OKC(W), NOH (W), PHX(W)....thats 8-2 if Howard come back after OKC...thats 0.50.....after OKC they need to start to play real basketball
themasterphil

Postby davriver290 on Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:47 pm

If we play like we did in the 4th...... We wouldn't be 15-20.
Sessions, Kobe, Metta, Gasol, Bynum
davriver290

Postby JGC on Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:07 pm

I noticed D'antoni was walking much better on his way to the locker room after our 6th straight loss. That was nice. AAt least something is improving.
JGC

Postby ojdidit123 on Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:13 pm

JGC wrote:I noticed D'antoni was walking much better on his way to the locker room after our 6th straight loss. That was nice. AAt least something is improving.

Hopefully he is moving fine to move freely when his arse is shown the door this April. Worst coach in NBA history bar none where's mike Brown when you need him
ojdidit123

Postby Legendary on Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:17 pm

Keep your heads up, Lakers fans.

This is a really tough road...but, stay with the team...it may not pan out tomorrow, it may not pan out this season...but it WILL pan out for us.

Laker fans who have followed this franchise for a while know we've been through worse...

We'll be back.
Legendary

Postby Nashty Gal on Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:18 pm

I'm no longer optimistic about this season, but I stick with my team. :jam2:

The Black Mamba and the White Swan
Kobe on talk with Pau about being more aggressive, "it's against his nature, he's always very nice, very white swan, I need him to be black swan"

http://www.thesexysaxman.com
Nashty Gal

Postby KBJelleyBean24 on Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:23 pm

Nashty Gal wrote:I'm no longer optimistic about this season, but I stick with my team. :jam2:

This
Every team goes through a rough patch, this is ours. Will continue to support this team and this franchise no matter what.
I should get an assist for that. It's an intentional pass to oneself, so it's an assist. That way people can't say all I do is shoot.
-Kobe on passing the ball to himself off the backboard.
KBJelleyBean24

Postby Frank Dux on Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:23 pm

Nashty Gal wrote:I'm no longer optimistic about this season, but I stick with my team. :jam2:

Same, i'll still be repping the Lake show even if they went winless over the season. You won't see me shamelessly hopping on the Flopcity bandwagon any time soon.
Frank Dux

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion