The Optimistic Thread! (TRD's FREEDOM THREAD!)

Re: The Optimistic Thread! (TRD's FREEDOM THREAD!)

Postby therealdeal on Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:19 pm

And just to elaborate a little bit on the talent point: if we weren't a TALENTED team we wouldn't be able to play teams like Miami, San Antonio, the Clippers, and the Kicks close. Those are REALLY good teams and we're in the mix against them.

The difference in those games always comes down to execution and faith. The other teams BELIEVE they'll win, we don't. That can change, but we'd need to get that winning attitude back. That's a long ways away and it starts with our best players Dwight and Kobe. They need to sacrifice together to make this work.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Ludachris on Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:11 pm

Keep in mind folks, we've been hit hard with injuries. If the team plays better and other teams suffer from similar injuries to key contributors like we have, there's no reason to think we can't make the playoffs still. Don't know that it matters much, but it would still be nice to see them play well together just to make next season worth looking forward to.
Buck Foston, LA Rules
Ludachris

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:46 pm

I still get excited about Lakers games. Always. I don't care if we're 20 games under .500 and not making the playoffs; if they are playing, I'm watching and expecting a victory. I know I'm delusional...
dwighthowardsdad

Postby lakersyunowin on Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:16 pm

maybe we'll trade gasol for some useful assets, maybe we'll convince phil to come back, maybe we'll go undefeated for the rest of the season.
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby karacha on Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:37 pm

We'll just restart our season on Friday.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby MadMax on Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:43 pm

MadMax
Clublakers Moderator

Postby lakersyunowin on Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:44 pm

:man10: :man10: :man10: :man10: oh geez, thanks i needed a good laugh.
lakersyunowin

Postby Weezy on Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:49 pm

I bought a new Samsung 46 inch LED tv yesterday that I'd been saving for a while to get, so on the positive side, we got beat down, but it looked really, really good to me. :man10:
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby khmrP on Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:54 pm

Weezy wrote:I bought a new Samsung 46 inch LED tv yesterday that I'd been saving for a while to get, so on the positive side, we got beat down, but it looked really, really good to me. :man10:

:bow: :man6:
khmrP

Postby lakersyunowin on Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:57 pm

Weezy wrote:I bought a new Samsung 46 inch LED tv yesterday that I'd been saving for a while to get, so on the positive side, we got beat down, but it looked really, really good to me. :man10:

:man10:
lakersyunowin

Postby 432J on Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:13 pm

season starts next game!
:man11:
432J

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:19 pm

karacha wrote:We'll just restart our season on Friday.

:jam2: I believe ... I believe... I believe... ok um... Yea lets roll with the season starts Friday
I don't always bring down the hammer but when I do it is usually to a troll! Stay TROLL FREE my freinds!
puffyusaf#2
Clublakers Moderator

Postby Armani on Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:28 pm

In Clark, I believe.
Armani

Postby shoe on Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:49 pm

We've had exactly 25 losses in the regular season 3 seasons in a row...just gotta win out to continue the trend :jam2:
shoe

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:52 pm

we only need to go 30-10 to make the playoffs
CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby scissors on Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:55 pm

CaCHooKa Man wrote:we only need to go 30-10 to make the playoffs

So new season starts Friday against Utah. 30-10 here we go. :jam2: :jam2:

It was all preseason til now. Lol.
scissors

Postby dj vitus on Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:58 pm

scissors wrote:
CaCHooKa Man wrote:we only need to go 30-10 to make the playoffs

So new season starts Friday against Utah. 30-10 here we go. :jam2: :jam2:

It was all preseason til now. Lol.

Actually, Houston is .500 now. We just need to go 25-15. :man10: :jam2:
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
dj vitus

Postby Punk-101 on Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:02 pm

Something is rotten and if it's possible to get rid of the rotten via trade, everything turns around, even Dwight's attitude. (unless Dwight is a big part of the rotten)
“Action has meaning only in relationship; and without understanding relationship, action on any level will only breed conflict. The understanding of relationship is infinitely more important than the search for any plan of action.”
-Jiddu Krishnamurti
Punk-101

Postby WilliamHaven on Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:38 pm

a tiny bit of perspective...our record isn't a whole lot worse than it was in 2002-2003 at this time of the year, and we made it to the playoffs that year. different circumstances...but still, just saying....
Move along ho, Super Lakers don't hang out with no skanks.
WilliamHaven

Postby Ariza3 on Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:39 am

Meeks played well in limited minutes and hopefully Dantoni saw (yea right...)

Added Jamison: "Let's just have fun, man, and enjoy this journey and just pull for each other and realize that this is a special team. The first half of this season has been an embarrassment. We've been the laughingstock of the NBA. So, let's turn that embarrassment into one of the best stories in sports history and turn things around."

hearing that kind of made me smile. like "could you imagine the story if they did turn it around" I like Jamison's view on it and although he's played bad he also hasn't really been used properly. Dantoni sucks but maybe the players can unite and play together like they did with Bernie and just play the game they all love and go nuts with energy instead of sad and down due to their record.

if they lose the next game I have a feeling the season will be over mentally for everyone. it's pretty close but the next one will be it. Dwight coming back or not guys gotta step up and I think they know now it's over unless they start winning. forget Dantoni's system and play bball like they know they should and trust their instincts that they've built throughout all their careers. I still believe in them and win or lose its still nuts to see Kobe and Nash play together.
Ariza3

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:44 am

^That's a good quote by Jamison. It's been a tough year.
dwighthowardsdad

Postby Lakerjones on Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:45 am

WilliamHaven wrote:a tiny bit of perspective...our record isn't a whole lot worse than it was in 2002-2003 at this time of the year, and we made it to the playoffs that year. different circumstances...but still, just saying....

Much different story though as you mentioned. We had a prime Shaq and a prime Kobe and Phil. Of course it's not too late yet for these guys to completely turn it around. But I wouldn't count on it.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:53 am

Ariza3 wrote:Meeks played well in limited minutes and hopefully Dantoni saw (yea right...)

Added Jamison: "Let's just have fun, man, and enjoy this journey and just pull for each other and realize that this is a special team. The first half of this season has been an embarrassment. We've been the laughingstock of the NBA. So, let's turn that embarrassment into one of the best stories in sports history and turn things around."

hearing that kind of made me smile. like "could you imagine the story if they did turn it around" I like Jamison's view on it and although he's played bad he also hasn't really been used properly. Dantoni sucks but maybe the players can unite and play together like they did with Bernie and just play the game they all love and go nuts with energy instead of sad and down due to their record.

if they lose the next game I have a feeling the season will be over mentally for everyone. it's pretty close but the next one will be it. Dwight coming back or not guys gotta step up and I think they know now it's over unless they start winning. forget Dantoni's system and play bball like they know they should and trust their instincts that they've built throughout all their careers. I still believe in them and win or lose its still nuts to see Kobe and Nash play together.

Yeah that's a nice thing to say. They've been saying all these nice things though and it just hasn't been working. Jamison is right though in one thing: take the pressure off man. Just go out and have fun and try to get each other going. Start having a good time.

Kobe won't want to hear that, but if you do that and you stop saying "okay we HAVE to win this game!" and then you lose and then everyone is even more depressed than before... Just sop doing that. Just go out and have a good time and play hard for each other.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Ludachris on Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:56 pm

I'm still optimistic. Maybe not for this season, but for the future. I think the coach will be fired at the end of the season in order to make Dwight happy. I think management will realize that their vision of Showtime isn't feasible for at least a couple years and that having D'Antoni as the coach isn't the only way to achieve a good running style of play. OKC runs because they're young, fast, and effective when they play like that, not because that's the Brooks system. Same goes for Miami.

Howard will sign here this summer. We'll have a new coach. Pau will likely be gone one way or another. Kobe will work hard to make due with whatever role players he has surrounding him, and Nash will be there trying to make it all work. Outside of those three guys I don't know what it will look like next year. I still think Kobe signs up again for another 2 years at a much reduced rate and becomes the 3rd option behind Dwight and the guy they get to pair up with Dwight.

As for this season... I just hope to watch a few good games where they finally come together a little and play some good basketball. We saw signs of their potential with Bernie coaching. It would be nice to see that again a few more times before the season ends, just so my $190 for the NBA League Pass won't be a total waste...
Buck Foston, LA Rules
Ludachris

Postby karacha on Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:58 pm

^

I agree with that. It all sounds fairly realistic. Nash/Kobe/Dwight, new coach, some new players on short contracts. Better season, nothing spectacular though. Waiting for summer 2014, basically.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion