The Optimistic Thread! (TRD's FREEDOM THREAD!)

Re: The Optimistic Thread! (TRD's FREEDOM THREAD!)

Postby MC on Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:13 am

dwighthowardsdad wrote:Defense was great. Speficifically, Kobe on Westbrook, and Clark & Metta on Durant. Sure, Durant and Westbrook missed some open looks but for the most part the Lakers did as great a job as you could on those two superstars.

We won't shoot 55% percent every game; however, if our defense is consistently this good, we'll win most games...

Their "improved" defensive play has more to do with scrapping MDAs offense than anything else..... better floor balance when shots go up the last 2 games which leads to being in better position to defend the transition forcing the game to half court basketball and like I've been saying all along, our half court defense is not as bad as this coach has made it look...........it's all about the irresponsible floor balance and perimeter shooting by choice in the name of offense that was a HUGE issue for this team.

As long as PRINGLES stays out of the darn way and we actually have some off-ball player movement along with touches from the most "inefficient" part of the floor than this team has a chance to make a run and possibly make the playoffs............ but that's a huge if for an ego-maniac like Pringles.
"If the wolf is the strength of the pack, the pack is the strength of the wolf"
MC

Postby revgen on Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:23 am

^Offense has nothing to do with it. We turned the ball over 18 times against the Jazz. Yet we held them to 84 points on 42FG%. We hustled back in transition, we communicated on the floor, and we rotated and helped the way we're supposed to. Before the last 2 games, there would have been no way we hold a team under 90 points after committing 18 TO's.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby Chillbongo on Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:12 am

revgen wrote:^Offense has nothing to do with it. We turned the ball over 18 times against the Jazz.

You're definitely right about our defensive intensity but you don't think our improved play has anything to do with offense??

So, the touches that everyone is getting doesn't energize the guys and make them more involved?

The floor spacing we're using now doesn't allow us to get back in transition easier?

Our ball movement doesn't keep the defense on their toes, more pressured, and making it harder for them to run freely on us?

Our spacing getting us offensive rebounds doesn't lead to less offensive opportunities for the opponent?

A lot of our "extra" TO's are Dwight getting stripped and Ron making terrible decisions on offense. If you remove those, we have 4-6 less TO's a game.
Chillbongo

Postby revgen on Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:20 am

Chillbongo wrote:
revgen wrote:^Offense has nothing to do with it. We turned the ball over 18 times against the Jazz.

You're definitely right about our defensive intensity but you don't think our improved play has anything to do with offense??

So, the touches that everyone is getting doesn't energize the guys and make them more involved?

The floor spacing we're using now doesn't allow us to get back in transition easier?

Our ball movement doesn't keep the defense on their toes, more pressured, and making it harder for them to run freely on us?

Our spacing getting us offensive rebounds doesn't lead to less offensive opportunities for the opponent?

A lot of our "extra" TO's are Dwight getting stripped and Ron making terrible decisions on offense. If you remove those, we have 4-6 less TO's a game.

The touches that guys are getting may be motivating them to play better defense, but I don't buy the "balanced offense" leads to good transition defense theory. Despite turning ball over constantly, we still managed to run back on defense and stop the break.

As far as offensive rebounds go, that has more to do with Earl Clark getting more minutes and Pau playing less.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby lakersyunowin on Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:56 pm

3 in a row
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:56 pm

duhon and morris are now buried on the bench with blake back
CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby karacha on Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:00 pm

3 win streak. Let's see what happens now, but I am optimistic.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:06 pm

Lets show we are on one and bring a great win for the Nash in his return to Cleveland. :bow:

Kobe and Nash at 35 and 34 minutes played.
I don't always bring down the hammer but when I do it is usually to a troll! Stay TROLL FREE my freinds!
puffyusaf#2
Clublakers Moderator

Postby Kerppo on Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:11 pm

puffyusaf#2 wrote:Lets show we are on one and bring a great win for the Nash in his return to Cleveland. :bow:

Kobe and Nash at 35 and 34 minutes played.

or in his return to phoenix, either way.
Kerppo

Postby Forward Three on Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:14 pm

Lakers are starting to look like a Mike D'Antoni team, which is both a positive and optimistic thing as well as a negative and pessimistic thing. Mostly though their offense looks amazing lately, but they are still suffering from some of the worst defensive lapses possible, honestly though, if they can ratchet up their defense for a full 48, this team is starting to look very good all of a sudden.
Forward Three

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:17 pm

I'm very encouraged. The offense looked crisp all game long. We're actually looking like a team out there with everybody working toward the same goal. Passing was fantastic, the ball & players moved; it was great to see.

I'm looking foward to this roadtrip.
dwighthowardsdad

Postby Kerppo on Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:21 pm

Forward Three wrote:Lakers are starting to look like a Mike D'Antoni team, which is both a positive and optimistic thing as well as a negative and pessimistic thing. Mostly though their offense looks amazing lately, but they are still suffering from some of the worst defensive lapses possible, honestly though, if they can ratchet up their defense for a full 48, this team is starting to look very good all of a sudden.

the offense looks good, but it doesn't look like D'antoni offense, which is the best thing about it.
Kerppo

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:22 pm

34 assists on 39 made baskets. pretty ridiculous.
CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby therealdeal on Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:38 pm

Hey man 3 wins in a row. Who can complain about that?
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Ariza3 on Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:01 am

steve blake looked good out there in limited minutes. can def be a better backup pg than morris or duhon. gotta get into game shape and he'll be solid. blake/meeks/clark/jamison lineup was pretty damn solid and he looked confident out there.

kobe hugging him at the end is always good to see. seems to help bring team together with his effort
Ariza3

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:15 am

therealdeal wrote:Hey man 3 wins in a row. Who can complain about that?

there's several posters who could, would and probably will.
I don't always bring down the hammer but when I do it is usually to a troll! Stay TROLL FREE my freinds!
puffyusaf#2
Clublakers Moderator

Postby gcclaker on Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:18 am

Looking like the are rounding themselves together as a group so the upcoming road trip isn't as daunting or concerning as it would have been a week ago.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby thisbjgz on Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:25 am

Very dangerous game tomorrow, sorta like a trap game. Suns play well at home. if we win tomorrow, I say we go 6-1 on this road trip losing to Boston or the Nets.
thisbjgz

Postby LakerFanIam on Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:13 am

ImageImage
LakerFanIam

Postby khmrP on Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:48 am

thisbjgz wrote:Very dangerous game tomorrow, sorta like a trap game. Suns play well at home. if we win tomorrow, I say we go 6-1 on this road trip losing to Boston or the Nets.

Mia?
khmrP

Postby therealdeal on Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:53 am

CaCHooKa Man wrote:34 assists on 39 made baskets. pretty ridiculous.

When's the last time a Laker team accomplished this? Even throughout our days with Phil, I don't remember ball movement and man movement like this...

I want to say the last time would have been with Magic.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:44 pm

At the moment, Nash is sacrificing climbing the time assists list for winning, and Kobe is sacrificing climbing the all time scoring list for winning. I have no idea how long this will last, but at the moment it's commendable on both their parts. If we keep playing this way there's a shot at the playoffs, and that's all I ask right now, to save the franchise the embarrassment of missing them.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Punk-101 on Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:47 pm

I'm very confident that we'll make the playoffs.

I'm not very confident that we'll get out of the first round. However, IF we do, we're going to the finals where I like our chances.
“Action has meaning only in relationship; and without understanding relationship, action on any level will only breed conflict. The understanding of relationship is infinitely more important than the search for any plan of action.”
-Jiddu Krishnamurti
Punk-101

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:07 pm

^It depends who we play in the first round. The Spurs, OKC, & Clippers are all occupying the first three seeds, and I don't see that changing, IMO. Now, I would rather face the Clippers more then any other team in the first round. I wouldn't even mind the Spurs. I think we can beat them. Worst case scenario is having to play OKC.

Nevertheless, let's get there first, and we can talk...
dwighthowardsdad

Postby dj vitus on Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:16 pm

dwighthowardsdad wrote:^It depends who we play in the first round. The Spurs, OKC, & Clippers are all occupying the first three seeds, and I don't see that changing, IMO. Now, I would rather face the Clippers more then any other team in the first round. I wouldn't even mind the Spurs. I think we can beat them. Worst case scenario is having to play OKC.

Nevertheless, let's get there first, and we can talk...

If we beat the Clips, Spurs, OKC, and then Miami for the championship, that would be the most epic comeback in sports history.
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
dj vitus

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion