The Optimistic Thread! (TRD's FREEDOM THREAD!)

Re: The Optimistic Thread! (TRD's FREEDOM THREAD!)

Postby thisbjgz on Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:25 am

Very dangerous game tomorrow, sorta like a trap game. Suns play well at home. if we win tomorrow, I say we go 6-1 on this road trip losing to Boston or the Nets.
thisbjgz

Postby LakerFanIam on Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:13 am

ImageImage
LakerFanIam

Postby khmrP on Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:48 am

thisbjgz wrote:Very dangerous game tomorrow, sorta like a trap game. Suns play well at home. if we win tomorrow, I say we go 6-1 on this road trip losing to Boston or the Nets.

Mia?
khmrP

Postby therealdeal on Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:53 am

CaCHooKa Man wrote:34 assists on 39 made baskets. pretty ridiculous.

When's the last time a Laker team accomplished this? Even throughout our days with Phil, I don't remember ball movement and man movement like this...

I want to say the last time would have been with Magic.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:44 pm

At the moment, Nash is sacrificing climbing the time assists list for winning, and Kobe is sacrificing climbing the all time scoring list for winning. I have no idea how long this will last, but at the moment it's commendable on both their parts. If we keep playing this way there's a shot at the playoffs, and that's all I ask right now, to save the franchise the embarrassment of missing them.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Punk-101 on Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:47 pm

I'm very confident that we'll make the playoffs.

I'm not very confident that we'll get out of the first round. However, IF we do, we're going to the finals where I like our chances.
“Action has meaning only in relationship; and without understanding relationship, action on any level will only breed conflict. The understanding of relationship is infinitely more important than the search for any plan of action.”
-Jiddu Krishnamurti
Punk-101

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:07 pm

^It depends who we play in the first round. The Spurs, OKC, & Clippers are all occupying the first three seeds, and I don't see that changing, IMO. Now, I would rather face the Clippers more then any other team in the first round. I wouldn't even mind the Spurs. I think we can beat them. Worst case scenario is having to play OKC.

Nevertheless, let's get there first, and we can talk...
dwighthowardsdad

Postby dj vitus on Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:16 pm

dwighthowardsdad wrote:^It depends who we play in the first round. The Spurs, OKC, & Clippers are all occupying the first three seeds, and I don't see that changing, IMO. Now, I would rather face the Clippers more then any other team in the first round. I wouldn't even mind the Spurs. I think we can beat them. Worst case scenario is having to play OKC.

If we beat the Clips, Spurs, OKC, and then Miami for the championship, that would be the most epic comeback in sports history.
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
dj vitus

Postby therealdeal on Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:26 pm

dj vitus wrote:
dwighthowardsdad wrote:^It depends who we play in the first round. The Spurs, OKC, & Clippers are all occupying the first three seeds, and I don't see that changing, IMO. Now, I would rather face the Clippers more then any other team in the first round. I wouldn't even mind the Spurs. I think we can beat them. Worst case scenario is having to play OKC.

If we beat the Clips, Spurs, OKC, and then Miami for the championship, that would be the most epic comeback in sports history.

:man10:

Step 1: Finish the season 19-8 to just barely make the 8 seed.
Step 2: Meet the Clippers in the 1st Round, Win in 5 (Paul wins one game by himself then his knee falls off)
Step 3: Meet the Spurs in the 2nd Round, Win in 6 (Win 1 in their place)
Step 4: Meet the Thunder in the Conf. Finals, Win in 7 (Kobe averages 28/8/10)
Step 5: Meet the Heat in the Finals, Win in 4 (Bosh disappears, Wade's migraines return, LeBron can't beat us alone)
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby DanielBeltz24 on Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:15 pm

Hopefully Houston and Utah both lose tonight
DanielBeltz24

Postby lakersyunowin on Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:26 pm

therealdeal wrote:
dj vitus wrote:

:man10:

Step 1: Finish the season 19-8 to just barely make the 8 seed.
Step 2: Meet the Clippers in the 1st Round, Win in 5 (Paul wins one game by himself then his knee falls off)
Step 3: Meet the Spurs in the 2nd Round, Win in 6 (Win 1 in their place)
Step 4: Meet the Thunder in the Conf. Finals, Win in 7 (Kobe averages 28/8/10)
Step 5: Meet the Heat in the Finals, Win in 4 (Bosh disappears, Wade's migraines return, LeBron can't beat us alone)

everything there isn't that unrealistic right? (well maybe step 5) I WANT TO BELIEVE.
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:36 pm

My awesome Optimisim: TWC has the game so I don't have to watch the fricken ESPN feed :bow: :bow: :bow:
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby basilhayden on Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:14 pm

As of April 18th, we won't have to worry about Kobe sustaining a basketball injury. Whew!!
basilhayden

Postby LakerFanIam on Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:32 pm

This will all be over soon....
LakerFanIam

Postby Jazzygirl205 on Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:36 pm

thisbjgz wrote:Very dangerous game tomorrow, sorta like a trap game. Suns play well at home. if we win tomorrow, I say we go 6-1 on this road trip losing to Boston or the Nets.

Spot on.
Jazzygirl205

Postby BuzzerBeater on Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:44 pm

Howard is still alive, Nash and Pringles guy came home today and Pau should be happy for ending the game. :jam2:
BuzzerBeater

Postby dj vitus on Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:55 pm

Is the 2015 pick lottery protected?
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
dj vitus

Postby dj vitus on Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:06 am

On second thought, if we keep winning 3 out of 4 like this, we should make the playoffs. Right?
dj vitus

I have to Know....

Postby The Laker Link on Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:24 am

I don't know if this should go in WMC or Optimism or something else. I am not trying to just add an extra post for nothing and turn the site into LG or anything, but I need to know, because it is bugging me.

I jump on here and I jump on LG, and LG more than here THANK HEAVENS, just seems to flip back and forth. A win is like the greatest thing ever, a lose turns everyone into doom, gloom, and like people are ready to jump ship.

I know the Lakers aren't anything like they are/were expected to be. They are playing bad and losing games like this doesn't help, but I feel like people are just quitting too soon.

Why does this lose mean that they are out of the playoffs, why do people think that we have no chance just because of this lose, when 3 games proved that this team is figuring things out better than they have in the past?

Dwight going down is bad, but I think with 2 days off, if it isn't the most horrible injury ever, he can recover and come back. Back to Backs are hard. I thought they were going to win tonight from the second I watched the game. I am depressed like everyone else and I think it is stupid we lost, but I don't think this means the Lakers will go 2-5. I think they can win 4 games, HELL I think they can win 5 games still, just means we got to play hard against the Nets and Celtics and work for wins. I think things are going to start turning around now. The new system was going to get exposed in ways, now the Lakers tweak things and get it right, but Kobe playing like this and everyone hitting their shots, you can't win them all, but you sure can't lose them all, otherwise I don't think that 3 game win streak would have occurred.

If the Lakers go 2-5 in this thing, then I will come back to this and say "Oh well, better luck next season." I am getting ready to embrace that possibility, it is just more depressing to jump on here or Facebook or wherever and just seeing the same old stuff of "WE SUCK!" "DIE D'ANTONI!" "HOW CAN THIS HAPPEN TO US AGAINST THE SUNS!" and stuff like that.

The Clippers just lost to the Suns recently if that helps.

I don't think this is the end, and I really hope that us as Laker fans haven't become what so many people accuse all of us to be "Fans only when they win." I want to be a Fan all the time, and I plan on that, and I would hope that everyone else feels the same way too.

Things look better now, and we have to give them a chance. I feels like things are clicking and Dwight is getting happier and we don't have to worry about him jumping and stuff like that, but I could be wrong. I just am getting tired of all this wish-wash, negative-positive stuff and flipping back and forth with each game.

Let's keep believing till the signs say that the Lakers are officially out of the picture. Nothing on ESPN or anywhere else is saying we are out of the playoffs yet, so I say we keep holding on that they can win this.

Ok, I am done venting and ranting, just had to get this off my chest. It was really bugging me
The Laker Link

Postby GoldHammish on Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:31 am

3-1 since the Memphis game, the "win 2 out of every 3 and we'll be okay" train of thought is still possible, assuming Dwight is okay, of course.
Arash Markazi ‏@ArashMarkazi

Kobe: "This is not like it was earlier in the year. This is a little different. We're playing well. I'm not too concerned about it."
GoldHammish

Re: I have to Know....

Postby Weezy on Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:35 am

The answer to the question you asked is in many threads here. We need every single win we can get, we have now lost 8 in a row on the road and we're expecting to go 5-2 on this road trip. If you're a legit team you don't begin the trip by losing to one of the crappiest teams in the NBA, choking away a 15 point lead, losing to one of the teams you NEEDED to beat for this trip to be a success. If we go 5-2 on this road trip our record is still 25-27, we're STILL fighting to get to .500, and 5-2 was the optimistic side. Now we have to beat 2 out of Miami, Boston, and Brooklyn instead of having a cushion before to be able to lose to 2 of them and still go 5-2.

On top of all that Houston lost tonight, so we wasted an opportunity to gain a little ground. On top of THAT Howard got hurt again, and it will most likely keep happening. Without him our defense fell apart, Pau turned to crap again, most of the role players disappeared again on the road, MWP took 17 shots and couldn't hit jack, and Kobe stuck to the plan and it still didn't pay off. Does all that answer your question as to why everyone here is not all optimistic and sunshine and rainbows? It's not over 'til it's over but it's a lot closer to over every time we squander games like this, when we should have had a win.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby The Laker Link on Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:49 am

Weezy wrote:The answer to the question you asked is in many threads here. We need every single win we can get, we have now lost 8 in a row on the road and we're expecting to go 5-2 on this road trip. If you're a legit team you don't begin the trip by losing to one of the crappiest teams in the NBA, choking away a 15 point lead, losing to one of the teams you NEEDED to beat for this trip to be a success. If we go 5-2 on this road trip our record is still 25-27, we're STILL fighting to get to .500, and 5-2 was the optimistic side. Now we have to beat 2 out of Miami, Boston, and Brooklyn instead of having a cushion before to be able to lose to 2 of them and still go 5-2.

On top of all that Houston lost tonight, so we wasted an opportunity to gain a little ground. On top of THAT Howard got hurt again, and it will most likely keep happening. Without him our defense fell apart, Pau turned to crap again, most of the role players disappeared again on the road, MWP took 17 shots and couldn't hit jack, and Kobe stuck to the plan and it still didn't pay off. Does all that answer your question as to why everyone here is not all optimistic and sunshine and rainbows? It's not over 'til it's over but it's a lot closer to over every time we squander games like this, when we should have had a win.

And I agree with all this, I am not trying to make things turn into sunshine and rainbows, I am just trying to say "Is there a need for doom and gloom at every corner."

Again, I am trying to stick with everyone else that we are playing bad. And it is true, losing so many games in a row on the road isn't helping, and yeah, the Suns are bad. There are a lot of things they still need to work on, and this does make the lose worse and hard to accept, don't get me wrong. I am sad, depressed, and upset like everyone else. We had a chance to win a game WE ALL THOUGHT WOULD BE AN EASY WIN, but we didn't win it. I don't think that means we are the worst ever, but that though the new system is good, needs more work. WE NEED WORK, and I agree and I know a lot of people have pointed to a lot of the same things you have said and I get all that, I agree with a lot of it.

Again I just think some people are running around like headless chickens for no reason. Everything can be fixed and we can turn around. Keep feeling like things are worse than they are, or whatever, I am not saying that is bad, I just can't believe that we have gotten to this point as fans, but we have the right to be this mad. I say be mad and am not in the least shocked that people are mad. I am venting, and people have the right to vent. I just think some people are quitting too fast and want to encourage people to wait longer.

This will be a long road trip and you know what, i honestly hope this is the only lose they have. It isn't realistic and I doubt it will happen, but I believe they can do it and want them to do it.

There are things to learn from this lose and I think Kobe and all them will learn from this. Dwight needs to do what he can to not be gone long if at all.

Again, maybe this was unnecessary, I am just exhausted be all the negativity when you are already down because of a crappy situation. People seeming like they are ready to quit doesn't make the lose anymore fun or enjoyable to deal with so.......

Whatever.
The Laker Link

Postby lakerzkb8 on Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:53 am

If you dont give a spoiled kid what he wants they tend to get angry.

Im actually with you laker_link. I thnk being positive and supportive is important in anything in life, even rooting your team on thats sucking it up. You missed his point Weezy. Hes talking about the general attitude of laker fans on CL, not why are you currently disappointed/angry.
This game's in the refrigerator: the door is closed, the lights are out, the eggs are cooling, the butter's getting hard, and the Jello's jigglin'! - Chick Hearn RIP
lakerzkb8

Postby Weezy on Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:57 am

lakerzkb8 wrote:If you dont give a spoiled kid what he wants they tend to get angry.

Im actually with you laker_link. I thnk being positive and supportive is important in anything in life, even rooting your team on thats sucking it up.

Oh come on, now we're spoiled kids because we expected more out of this team than blowing a 15 point lead on the road to a terrible team? The night after blowing an 18 point lead, thinking maybe they had learned their lesson and would play with more of a sense of urgency. This is not the time to win 3, lose 1, repeat, this is a desperate time, a time to go on a longer win streak no matter what it takes. There's doom and gloom here right now because every time we start believing in this team they lay an egg, it's hard to start to get emotionally involved, start believing again, see signs of hope, and then have all that crushed. If I didn't care I wouldn't be here, if I wasn't going to keep watching and cheering them on I wouldn't be here, but it's a horrible loss and we have as much right to vent about how bad it is as you guys do to vent about how you don't like the doom and gloom.

And no Laker Link, I do not agree, everything cannot always be fixed, especially just because you believe so. Sometimes things are broken, sometimes things do not work, that's reality. This team dug themselves a huge hole, and now they are in a hell of a lot of trouble, that's reality, and losing games like this only makes it worse and shows that they have not truly turned a corner, it was a choke job. No the season is not over after one game, but they are making the road ahead increasingly difficult for themselves by losing games like this, making it damn near impossible really.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Forward Three on Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:00 am

Personally, I'm past the 'rooting through adversity' phase specifically because the way that the Lakers lose ball games is quite frankly a little insulting. That they make the types of errors that rec league weekend warriors make and that they do it on a regular basis. How am I supposed to support a team that can be so gutless and lacking in fundamentals? Yeah, they've looked better lately, tonight should have been a W, they've started to look like an actual professional basketball team again, for the most part, but that hasn't stopped them from still committing the types of mistakes that makes you seriously question how in the world these guys are being paid millions of dollars to play a game.

As far as I am concerned they disrespected the game, and until that changes, I'm done rooting for them.

This is especially resonant because they are the Lakers. The franchise is bigger than these guys, and seeing them crap all over that legacy with some of the literal worst basketball I've ever seen* when they have as much talent as they have and they are highly paid as they are and they have all the experience in the world. It's just too much.

I mean, why do you think guys like James Worthy, Robert Horry, Magic...etc. have been so visibly frustrated and fed up with this team? because they watch them play and it's insulting to the game of basketball, it's high school caliber play at times, it's "hey, we need another person, can you play?" caliber at times. Hell, even Charles Barkley has been frustrated at them and he's a grade-A hater usually. Even the ESPN guys have been taking pity on this team at times and they never give LA any slack. At a certain point, people who love the game, former players, former coaches...etc. when they are this baffled and annoyed by what they are seeing, you know it's bad.

*Not overall, but without fail they tend to have a stretch of about 4-5 minutes per game where they basically stop playing entirely.
Forward Three

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion