The Optimistic Thread! (TRD's FREEDOM THREAD!)

Re: I have to Know....

Postby The Laker Link on Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:06 am

lakerzkb8 wrote:If you dont give a spoiled kid what he wants they tend to get angry.

Im actually with you laker_link. I thnk being positive and supportive is important in anything in life, even rooting your team on thats sucking it up. You missed his point Weezy. Hes talking about the general attitude of laker fans on CL, not why are you currently disappointed/angry.

We have been spoiled, we get spoiled, and I think we will always be spoiled. We are the Lakers, we are always the alpha dogs, and Kobe is the best so he deserves the Best, and I can't picture him walking off into the sunset not getting that 6th ring. He'll get it.

I don't know I just think the Lakers will be ok, as a Fan I really think they will turn it around and I can't see how they can't. I want them to win and believe they will win and everything. If they lose this year, the HEAT showed that there is always next year, I just can't picture them not making something work from here on out at least.

I hope others feel that way too and support and root for them in that regard, it would be sad to find out that everyone isn't still thinking there is that chance, enough of a chance, that we can pull this off. Admitting we suck is fine, I don't think that is wrong and am ok with saying it.

I am glad I am not alone on this thinking though. Thanks man.
The Laker Link

Postby Nashty Gal on Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:11 am

Meh just cause people aren't positive anymore doesn't mean they're spoiled fans, aren't real fans, and aren't going to continue to support the team. And who cares what other fans think of us lakers fans. They weren't with us while we were cheering in the parades
The Black Mamba and the White Swan
Kobe on talk with Pau about being more aggressive, "it's against his nature, he's always very nice, very white swan, I need him to be black swan"

http://www.thesexysaxman.com
Nashty Gal

Re: The Optimistic Thread! (TRD's FREEDOM THREAD!)

Postby Nashty Gal on Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:15 am

I hope Dwight can continue to play through this shoulder thing. Maybe he can just focus on D, forget offense. Just his presence on D will help us
Kobe on talk with Pau about being more aggressive, "it's against his nature, he's always very nice, very white swan, I need him to be black swan"

Nashty Gal

Postby The Laker Link on Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:17 am

Weezy wrote:
lakerzkb8 wrote:If you dont give a spoiled kid what he wants they tend to get angry.

Im actually with you laker_link. I thnk being positive and supportive is important in anything in life, even rooting your team on thats sucking it up.

Oh come on, now we're spoiled kids because we expected more out of this team than blowing a 15 point lead on the road to a terrible team? The night after blowing an 18 point lead, thinking maybe they had learned their lesson and would play with more of a sense of urgency. This is not the time to win 3, lose 1, repeat, this is a desperate time, a time to go on a longer win streak no matter what it takes. There's doom and gloom here right now because every time we start believing in this team they lay an egg, it's hard to start to get emotionally involved, start believing again, see signs of hope, and then have all that crushed. If I didn't care I wouldn't be here, if I wasn't going to keep watching and cheering them on I wouldn't be here, but it's a horrible loss and we have as much right to vent about how bad it is as you guys do to vent about how you don't like the doom and gloom.

And no Laker Link, I do not agree, everything cannot always be fixed, especially just because you believe so. Sometimes things are broken, sometimes things do not work, that's reality. This team dug themselves a huge hole, and now they are in a hell of a lot of trouble, that's reality, and losing games like this only makes it worse and shows that they have not truly turned a corner, it was a choke job. No the season is not over after one game, but they are making the road ahead increasingly difficult for themselves by losing games like this, making it damn near impossible really.

Weezy, I must be saying it wrong because I understand what you are saying and do agree with your points, maybe I just have more optimism on the matter. I am trying to say that this was not a good thing to happen, that people have the right to be mad and vent and everything. We screwed up. We had a chance to make things better and didn't, thus leaving us in the same spot as we were yesterday, don't get me wrong.....i understand all that and say "You are right", I just think they still can turn it around.

Maybe I am the only one and if so, that is depressing, but ok.

Look all I am saying is that the physical doom and gloom coming from every fan, that it seemed like would never be those kind of people to react to everything, makes something like this less enjoyable to deal with. To see fellow supporters seem to quit on the drop of a dime, and honestly, I believe you when you say "If I was done, I wouldn't be here" and you being upset about this is understandable, I am not hating on you or saying you all suck or anything to anyone that feels the same way to does the same thing, I am just bummed to see stuff so much, when it seemed like most of us would be there no matter what and wouldn't, like I said, run around like headless chickens, BUT we should be where OKC and the HEAT are right now. We are team that should be blasting people out of the water and looking to win the whole thing this year, obviously something happened and it isn't working, I just don't think we're done here. You said you feel the same way, however you also pointed out, which I get and think the same way about, that we are fighting more uphill right now, and honestly I think and hope we get through it. It won't be as nice as we thought, but I think we can do it.

Feel free, everyone, to post your feelings, good or bad, I am just bummed to see more of it than I ever expected to see on sites like this and LG, but fans need to be fans and act accordingly, so this is to be expected.
The Laker Link

Postby The Laker Link on Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:22 am

Forward Three wrote:Personally, I'm past the 'rooting through adversity' phase specifically because the way that the Lakers lose ball games is quite frankly a little insulting. That they make the types of errors that rec league weekend warriors make and that they do it on a regular basis. How am I supposed to support a team that can be so gutless and lacking in fundamentals? Yeah, they've looked better lately, tonight should have been a W, they've started to look like an actual professional basketball team again, for the most part, but that hasn't stopped them from still committing the types of mistakes that makes you seriously question how in the world these guys are being paid millions of dollars to play a game.

As far as I am concerned they disrespected the game, and until that changes, I'm done rooting for them.

This is especially resonant because they are the Lakers. The franchise is bigger than these guys, and seeing them crap all over that legacy with some of the literal worst basketball I've ever seen* when they have as much talent as they have and they are highly paid as they are and they have all the experience in the world. It's just too much.

I mean, why do you think guys like James Worthy, Robert Horry, Magic...etc. have been so visibly frustrated and fed up with this team? because they watch them play and it's insulting to the game of basketball, it's high school caliber play at times, it's "hey, we need another person, can you play?" caliber at times. Hell, even Charles Barkley has been frustrated at them and he's a grade-A hater usually. Even the ESPN guys have been taking pity on this team at times and they never give LA any slack. At a certain point, people who love the game, former players, former coaches...etc. when they are this baffled and annoyed by what they are seeing, you know it's bad.

*Not overall, but without fail they tend to have a stretch of about 4-5 minutes per game where they basically stop playing entirely.

And that is fair, and I get it and agree with this. Again, maybe as a Fan, it takes more for me to quit than those that really know the complete inners of the game.

And honestly, I get that people feel like this is disrespectful, because it is pretty obvious at times that things should be happening that do. I still just see there being light at the end of the tunnel still.

Can they play this bad all the way to Kobe and Nash walking out the door into retirement? I can't picture life being this bad next year, regardless of what happens this year.
The Laker Link

Postby The Laker Link on Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:25 am

Nashty Gal wrote:Meh just cause people aren't positive anymore doesn't mean they're spoiled fans, aren't real fans, and aren't going to continue to support the team. And who cares what other fans think of us lakers fans. They weren't with us while we were cheering in the parades

I guess I just would like to see a more even mixture of "this sucks" and "it's bad but it can only get better from here" threads and conversations everywhere I go versus just negative posts.

And we are loyalists, more than any other team's fans, I just think it's just shocking to see even the loyalists get pushed to a breaking point, you know?
The Laker Link

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:25 am

^It won't be this bad next year. We'll have more of an idea of the players we need for this roster to be successful in Kobe's last run. As I said in another thread, somethings have to happen to have a shot next year; the biggest things: Dwight has to re-sign. Let that happen and everything falls into place. If not, then that money can go elsewhere...
dwighthowardsdad

Postby Nikez on Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:27 am

I think a better question would be, are we headed in the right direction? I think the answer is absolutely yes.

I see where the OP is coming from, it seems like everybody here is answering that question with a no.
Before long, someone recognized Phil Jackson sitting in the front seat, and then the rocks began to fly. Revelers pelted the bus and shook it, mocking the Lakers at their lowest moment.

It was painful,” Lakers forward Pau Gasol(notes) said. “It is a feeling that I want to keep in my mind for every single minute that I’m out there playing them.
Nikez

Postby Nashty Gal on Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:31 am

The Laker Link wrote:
Nashty Gal wrote:Meh just cause people aren't positive anymore doesn't mean they're spoiled fans, aren't real fans, and aren't going to continue to support the team. And who cares what other fans think of us lakers fans. They weren't with us while we were cheering in the parades

I guess I just would like to see a more even mixture of "this sucks" and "it's bad but it can only get better from here" threads and conversations everywhere I go versus just negative posts.

And we are loyalists, more than any other team's fans, I just think it's just shocking to see even the loyalists get pushed to a breaking point, you know?

Yeah, I feel you. I guess I just ignore all those doom posts, they don't bother me. I do agree it's always good to be positive! But, unfortunately not everyone sees it that way lol

Nashty Gal

Postby phoenixrisingla on Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:34 am

I tend to be more on the realist side of the fence. We stink.

This site is for serious discussion and if you think we're all going to be cheerleaders in here during a season like this i'm not sure what to say...
phoenixrisingla

Postby The Laker Link on Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:35 am

Nashty Gal wrote:
The Laker Link wrote:

Yeah, I feel you. I guess I just ignore all those doom posts, they don't bother me. I do agree it's always good to be positive! But, unfortunately not everyone sees it that way lol

And that is the bummer part. It's not bad, it is just depressing to me. But to each their own.

I just wanted to show annoyance and see if people do notice this too and maybe things get better in our fandom world and we get motivated to keep at it, no matter what.

There are those like Weezy who are still here, but are upset and I don't blame anyone for that, just the posts are getting too much for me to deal with along with the fact that we got dealt a very bad lose that should have never happened.
The Laker Link

Postby The Laker Link on Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:38 am

phoenixrisingla wrote:I tend to be more on the realist side of the fence. We stink.

This site is for serious discussion and if you think we're all going to be cheerleaders in here during a season like this i'm not sure what to say...

No I don't expect that, I wouldn't even do that. Trust me, if we were 9-30 or whatever right now, I would be LIVID, but I would still be supportive.

I would voice outrage, and still be supportive. I would think exactly and talk exactly like Weezy.

I guess, like I said, I just never expected with things like this, every fan would be pushed to the limit of giving up 100% and not expecting us to recover you know.

Doing that isn't bad, which i keep trying to emphasize, but it is saddening. That's all.

I feel like a broken record and maybe i am saying the same thing, but maybe it isn't being understood like i want. I have a bad time and such a thing happens with me, and it sucks for me.
The Laker Link

Postby Nashty Gal on Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:41 am

I think it's sad if we all stopped watching and supporting. Not if we continued to watch, support, and nag. Because the same people who post doom and gloom are still and probably will continue to post their frustration here. We love the lakers man, trust

Nashty Gal

Postby phoenixrisingla on Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:10 am

The Laker Link wrote:
phoenixrisingla wrote:I tend to be more on the realist side of the fence. We stink.

No I don't expect that, I wouldn't even do that. Trust me, if we were 9-30 or whatever right now, I would be LIVID, but I would still be supportive.

I would voice outrage, and still be supportive. I would think exactly and talk exactly like Weezy.

I guess, like I said, I just never expected with things like this, every fan would be pushed to the limit of giving up 100% and not expecting us to recover you know.

Doing that isn't bad, which i keep trying to emphasize, but it is saddening. That's all.

I feel like a broken record and maybe i am saying the same thing, but maybe it isn't being understood like i want. I have a bad time and such a thing happens with me, and it sucks for me.

No, we understand its just a little silly.

You think its ok to be disheartened but you also think people are a little too disheartened.

And now we have a whole thread dedicated to it.
phoenixrisingla

Postby abeer3 on Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:11 am

i won't go so far as to say i'm not rooting for them, and i lost belief in them when they dropped the denver home game after dropping the philly game. i knew then that they were gutless and the season was over. what i hoped to see was some glimmer of hope going forward into next year. so far, i've seen no real progress. the defense is still a mess, and the offense still works about half as efficiently as it should. who comes out and turns the ball over 9 times in the first quarter? they're lucky phx sucks so hard, or they'd have been blown out from the get-go.

i hope kobe's right--that this isn't the same as the losses they've had all year--but, man, it looked exactly the same to me.
abeer3

Postby GoldenKnight on Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:21 am

Tonight was a tough one. Its been a while since a game got me so depressed. Has to be probably the worst feeling since getting run out of dallas in a sweep getting absolutely destroyed. Hard to get over this one so quickly. There is still a lot of basketball & I have hope. But this crushed my super positive spirit for this team. Brought us back to reality I guess. The problems aren't the same, but a loss is a loss.

CHECK OUT MY DESIGNS ON FB/INSTAGRAM/TWITTER: @GoldenKnightGFX
GoldenKnight

Postby Forward Three on Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:12 pm

abeer3 wrote:i won't go so far as to say i'm not rooting for them, and i lost belief in them when they dropped the denver home game after dropping the philly game. i knew then that they were gutless and the season was over. what i hoped to see was some glimmer of hope going forward into next year. so far, i've seen no real progress. the defense is still a mess, and the offense still works about half as efficiently as it should. who comes out and turns the ball over 9 times in the first quarter? they're lucky phx sucks so hard, or they'd have been blown out from the get-go.

i hope kobe's right--that this isn't the same as the losses they've had all year--but, man, it looked exactly the same to me.

Next year should be great, assuming the team stays largely the same but can add another player or two that are as hungry and solid as Earl Clark is(preferably at the 2 guard spot). Honestly, for as much crap as I have given this team, they do have legitimate excuses with all of the injuries, personnel changes and just some straight up bad luck. If they take the remainder of this season to work on what needs to be worked on, then there is no reason at all they shouldn't have a very good season next year, other than potentially age. But sometimes age is only a number.
Forward Three

Postby Ice-Fire on Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:20 pm

Forward Three wrote:Next year should be great, assuming the team stays largely the same but can add another player or two that are as hungry and solid as Earl Clark is(preferably at the 2 guard spot). Honestly, for as much crap as I have given this team, they do have legitimate excuses with all of the injuries, personnel changes and just some straight up bad luck. If they take the remainder of this season to work on what needs to be worked on, then there is no reason at all they shouldn't have a very good season next year, other than potentially age. But sometimes age is only a number.

The problem is... if the team misses the playoffs ( which it looks like they will ) it would be deeply shocking if the team largely stays intact... I think odds are 50-50 or even better that Howard goes to ATL or another team... and injuries/bad luck/personnel changes are part of Sports adversity that every team needs to get through... if this team can't get through them then they deserve to get humiliated.
Ice-Fire

Postby TIME on Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:13 pm

We already have an optimism thread and from your OP you already knew that.

Merging.
I'm lost in the fog of denial!
TIME
CL Global Moderator

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:25 pm

PUFFYUSAF#2 still believes in our season..... Memphis is going down!
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby SpencerHarrison on Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:42 pm

I do think the system they're running is still effective. Dwight being taken out hurt the defense, and we missed a lot of shots. I know MWP is going to be crucified for that, and rightfully so, BUT he actually has been a productive member of this team. I think it was a combination of a lot of things, and the victory was still within reach. Ron is a professional, and will do everything possible to not have games like that. I actually stand behind him. As for Pau's defense... Yeah, not great. Every time I want to believe he's gotten some fire back, he comes back looking worn out.

I also think people make too much about blown leads. If the right players get hot at the right time, crazy runs can happen and basketball is a momentum game. Even WITH all those horrid things happening, Peace still almost stole that handle from Beasley, etc. He didn't, Beasley made play after play after play and Kobe missed on a makable drive.

Not the end of the world. Stick with the system, adjust to Pau not having the athletic ability to defend the rim, and stay the course. And keep MWP, he'll be fine. Win games, fight till the end and see what happens. This is still the best the team has looked all season.
SpencerHarrison

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:32 pm

TIME wrote:We already have an optimism thread and from your OP you already knew that.

Merging.

You merged a whole lot of pessimism into my glorious thread. :mad1:
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:47 pm

I doubt that Dwight leaves 30 million on the table.
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:01 pm

therealdeal wrote:
TIME wrote:We already have an optimism thread and from your OP you already knew that.

Merging.

You merged a whole lot of pessimism into my glorious thread. :mad1:

Don't you feel violated
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:29 pm

I still like Kobe's play up to the 3rd...
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion