The Optimistic Thread! (TRD's FREEDOM THREAD!)

Re: The Optimistic Thread! (TRD's FREEDOM THREAD!)

Postby dj vitus on Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:00 pm

4-3 road trip. Exactly what I realistically hoped for. :jam2: Great achievement all things considered. Seriously. Now take care of this home stretch and we'll overtake Portland soon. :jam2: :jam2:
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
dj vitus

Postby Juronimo on Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:03 pm

I agree, 4-3 is much better than I could have hoped. We have a ton of work to do to make the playoffs so the guys gotta get they grind on and make it happen.

Ferguson, we hear you.
RIP Mike Brown.
Juronimo

Postby therealdeal on Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:07 pm

We played a pretty average game here. We could have done a LOT better...

But considering they're either the best team in the league or among the best... We hung in there on their turf.

Another month or so of calibrating and I think we'll look good.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby gcclaker on Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:08 pm

As I thought 4-3...should have been 5-2. Lost to a Top Five team today, folded up at one and did not show up at that other game.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby Finwë on Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:10 pm

Can we afford "another month or so of calibrating" though? I know we don't really have many other alternatives, but considering that it might be to late I don't see how that is an optimistic thought
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby Juronimo on Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:12 pm

gcclaker wrote:As I thought 4-3...should have been 5-2. Lost to a Top Five team today, folded up at one and did not show up at that other game.

That's what makes that Phoenix loss hurt so much. The cHeat is just better right now and that other team is inexplicably playing great basketball. Losing that game against Phx really hurts but I'm not mad at 4-3. I thought we'd go 2-5.

Ferguson, we hear you.
RIP Mike Brown.
Juronimo

Postby therealdeal on Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:12 pm

Finwë wrote:Can we afford "another month or so of calibrating" though? I know we don't really have many other alternatives, but considering that it might be to late I don't see how that is an optimistic thought

If they continue winning games at this rate they should make the playoffs, so yes I do think they can afford another month of development.

Besides, the alternative is failure. What's not to be optimistic about?
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakersyunowin on Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:13 pm

grammy trip ended with a winning record at 4-3. really should have been 5-2. oh well.
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:15 pm

4-3 is probably not good enough at this point. We should have went 5-2. Nonetheless, we'll have a better record and give ourselves a shot to make the PO's; the problem is though I don't think we have enough time. We just lost to a better basketball team today.

I am more optimistic about next year; I would re-sign Dwight & Clark. Add a SF and another athletic big, and we're good...
dwighthowardsdad

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:22 pm

earl clark is still looking great
CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby Finwë on Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:52 pm

therealdeal wrote:
Finwë wrote:Can we afford "another month or so of calibrating" though? I know we don't really have many other alternatives, but considering that it might be to late I don't see how that is an optimistic thought

If they continue winning games at this rate they should make the playoffs, so yes I do think they can afford another month of development.

I guess I'm neutral, neither pessimistic or optimistic. We have won 7 of our last 10, 7 of those being road games, so you're right about the win rate. I guess I feel Pau's absence will take it's toll on us and I'm not that confident of the sustainability of that rate. Hopefully I'm wrong.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby Ariza3 on Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:54 pm

should have been 5-2 but with this team ill take 4-3. there was something good in the heat game the first 3 quarters. spacing was good and ball movement was okay which was really only kobe. i thought they shot well and didnt think too much. the turnovers were very good in 3 quarters for this team. they just didnt adjust to miami's d in the 4th which is very good this year.

i liked clarks energy and he did score pretty well. meeks played really well i thought. his d on wade was questionable but its dwade...theres not much he can do but at least he stayed in front of him for the most part and made him jump shooter. although bosh's screens were pretty questionable and prob a little moving if you ask me. he had 6 points in 10 minutes on 2/3 from 3. thats solid for 10 minutes. they were important 3's too

we gotta close this week off and come out strong for post all star break. gotta get dwight going bc without pau others are going to have to find him.
Ariza3

Postby Ariza3 on Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:18 pm

could have been a lot worse. even with the heat shooting like 60% and lebron and wade not missing we were still in the game for 3 1/2 quarters. limit turnovers and run something better than kobe post up iso's and who knows what the outcome would have been. i can be happy with this game...a loss is a loss, but they have been playing much better as of late.

got fix a couple things and bring in some size to backup dwight.
Ariza3

Postby therealdeal on Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:47 pm

Finwë wrote:
therealdeal wrote:

I guess I'm neutral, neither pessimistic or optimistic. We have won 7 of our last 10, 7 of those being road games, so you're right about the win rate. I guess I feel Pau's absence will take it's toll on us and I'm not that confident of the sustainability of that rate. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Well I expect us to get someone that can help a little.

The most important thing is team morale and team building. Right now we take 2 steps forward and a step and a half back. We need to start getting that turned around.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:36 pm

Hopefully Mitch brings in someone at the trade deadline who can help up front. Preferably a pf who can do a little time at center. The available centers is a meager list.
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

Postby SpencerHarrison on Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:41 pm

With Pau gone, I actually now see his value. The 2 man game he and Kobe play is effective whenever they want it, and covers over some of our holes with offensive execution late.
SpencerHarrison

Postby dj vitus on Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:35 pm

Pau has incredible value when he's healthy, motivated, and used properly. Without him, we don't have anyone else with a killer instinct who can put us over the top other than Kobe and Nash.

His injury is really a huge blow, but hopefully the rest of us can be a little more consistent now that we have a few home games coming up.
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
dj vitus

Postby wcsoldier81 on Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:38 am

02/12 Phoenix Home W
02/14 LA Clippers Home W
02/20 Boston Home W
02/22 Portland Home W
02/24 Dallas Away W
02/25 Denver Away L
02/28 Minnesota Home W
03/03 Atlanta Home W
03/05 Okla City Away L
03/06 New Orleans Away W
03/08 Toronto Home W
03/10 Chicago Home W
03/12 Orlando Away W
03/13 Atlanta Away L
03/15 Indiana Away L
03/17 Sacramento HomeW
03/18 Phoenix Away W
03/22 Washington Home W
03/25 Golden State Away W
03/27 Minnesota Away W
03/28 Milwaukee Away L
03/30 Sacramento Away W
04/02 Dallas HomeW
04/05 Memphis Home W
04/07 LA Clippers Away L
04/09 New Orleans Home W
04/10 Portland Away L
04/12 Golden State Home W
04/14 San Antonio Home W
04/17 Houston Home W

45 WINS should do it
wcsoldier81

Postby Finwë on Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:10 am

^^ It basically comes down to defending home court and beating decent and bad teams on the road. Doable
Finwë

Postby wcsoldier81 on Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:15 am

Well 16-0 at home is going to be DIFFICULT :man10: ... Clippers and SAS will be tough ... the 14 others ones HAVE to be Ws ...
wcsoldier81

Postby therealdeal on Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:05 am

SpencerHarrison wrote:With Pau gone, I actually now see his value. The 2 man game he and Kobe play is effective whenever they want it, and covers over some of our holes with offensive execution late.

Actually I think his biggest value would have come in his rebounding.

but remember we're also missing Jordan Hill. It's not just that Pau's gone, but so is Jordan and that leaves Jamison and Clark as our secondary rebounders to Dwight.

If we'd stayed relatively healthy I think we'd be one of the better rebounding teams in the league.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby The Laker Link on Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:21 am

So I just looked over the Schedule of the Jazz, Lakers, Rockets, and Blazers. I was avoiding being biased and just tried being realistic based on the teams overall and what not.....and this is what I am predicting for all 4 teams.

LAKERS

Phoenix-W
Los Angeles-L
Boston-L
Portland-W
@Dallas-W
@Denver-L
Minnesota-W
Atlanta-W
@Oklahoma City-L
@New Orleans-W
Toronto-W
Chicago-L
@Orlando-W
@Atlanta-W
@Indiana-L
Sacramento-W
@Phoenix-W
Washington-W
@Golden State-W
@Minnesota-W
@Milwaukee-W
@Sacramento-W
Dallas-W
Memphis-L
@Los Angeles-L
New Orleans-W
@Portland-W
Golden State-W
San Antonio-L
Houston-W

W-21
L-9

Record-45/37

PORTLAND

@Miami-L
@New Orleans-W
Phoenix-W
@Lakers-L
Boston-L
Denver-L
Minnesota-W
Charlotte-W
@Memphis-L
@San Antonio-L
@New Orleans-W
Memphis-L
NY Knicks-L
Detroit-W
@Philadelphia-W
@Milwaukee-W
@Chicago-L
@Atlanta-L
@Oklahoma City-L
Brooklyn-L
Utah-W
@Golden State-L
@Utah-L
Memphis-L
Houston-W
Dallas-W
Lakers-L
Oklahoma City-L
@Denver-L
@Clippers-L
Golden State-W

W-12
L-19

Record-37/45

ROCKETS

@Golden State-L
@Clippers-L
Oklahoma City-L
@Brooklyn-L
@Washington-W
Milwaukee-W
@Orlando-W
Dallas-W
@Dallas-L
@Golden State-W
@Phoenix-W
Phoenix-L
Minnesota-W
Golden State-L
Utah-L
Cleveland-W
San Antonio-L
Indiana-L
@Memphis-L
Clippers-L
Orlando-W
@Sacramento-W
@Portland-L
@Denver-L
Phoenix-W
Memphis-L
Sacramento-W
@Phoenix-W
@Lakers-L

W-13
L-16

Record-41/41

Jazz

Oklahoma City-L
@Minnesota-W
Golden State-L
@Clippers-L
Boston-L
Atlanta-L
Charlotte-W
@Milwaukee-W
@Cleveland-W
@Chicago-L
@NY Knicks-L
Detroit-W
@Oklahoma City-L
Memphis-L
NY Knicks-L
@Houston-W
@San Antonio-L
@Dallas-W
Philadelphia-L
Phoenix-W
@Portland-L
Brooklyn-L
Portland-W
Denver-L
New Orleans-W
@Golden State-W
Oklahoma City-L
Minnesota-W
@Minnesota-L
@Memphis-L

W-12
L-17

Record-40/41

I kind of wished I looked at some others like the Warriors, because it looked like they might have a hard schedule too, but from the looks of things, we have a simple schedule compared to everyone else between us at 7th place, so I think the Lakers can do this. They will need to beat the easy teams, as is expected, and then we don't have very many hard teams to play, so we just need to play smart and get the right stuff going and I think the Lakers can get into the playoffs.

If you guys think I am crazy, somewhere.....you can tell me and maybe correct some things, if you feel so inclined. I don't mind.
The Laker Link

Postby therealdeal on Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:38 am

My optimism of the day: we lost yesterday BUT!

So did Houston and so did Portland. So while we didn't make any ground up, we at least didn't lose any.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:35 am

For our final 30 games I think we need to do:

13-3 at home

8-6 on the road

The only problem is that we need everyone else to stay kind of average. Even if we went 21-9 over our final 30 it still wouldn't guarantee a playoff spot. I think that final game against the Rockets might determine everything. If we win that game we'll be tied 2-2 so the next tiebreaker will be Conference win % I believe and right now ours is superior (42% to 36%).

Either GSW, Utah, or Houston needs to slip and become a .500 or worse team the rest of the way or we won't make it.
JoelMyersScrotalSack

Postby khmrP on Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:39 am

JoelMyersScrotalSack wrote:For our final 30 games I think we need to do:

13-3 at home

8-6 on the road

The only problem is that we need everyone else to stay kind of average. Even if we went 21-9 over our final 30 it still wouldn't guarantee a playoff spot. I think that final game against the Rockets might determine everything. If we win that game we'll be tied 2-2 so the next tiebreaker will be Conference win % I believe and right now ours is superior (42% to 36%).

Either GSW, Utah, or Houston needs to slip and become a .500 or worse team the rest of the way or we won't make it.

dont forget Dall is in the mix too, they have less wins but same amt of loses, hopefully they help us out while trying to help themselves when they face Hou/Utah/Por. I dont think GSW will faulter to our lvl or to the bottom 2 spots, would take some sort of major injuries to one of their key players for that to happen.
khmrP

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion