The Optimistic Thread! (TRD's FREEDOM THREAD!)

Re: The Optimistic Thread! (TRD's FREEDOM THREAD!)

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:48 am

It sucks that we are fighting "Divadom" with Dwight and the bottom of the standings. i believe we will make the playoffs. We just need to finally get our Diva in fricken line.
I don't always bring down the hammer but when I do it is usually to a troll! Stay TROLL FREE my freinds!
puffyusaf#2
Clublakers Moderator

Postby The Laker Link on Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:02 pm

khmrP wrote:
JoelMyersScrotalSack wrote:For our final 30 games I think we need to do:

13-3 at home

8-6 on the road

The only problem is that we need everyone else to stay kind of average. Even if we went 21-9 over our final 30 it still wouldn't guarantee a playoff spot. I think that final game against the Rockets might determine everything. If we win that game we'll be tied 2-2 so the next tiebreaker will be Conference win % I believe and right now ours is superior (42% to 36%).

Either GSW, Utah, or Houston needs to slip and become a .500 or worse team the rest of the way or we won't make it.

dont forget Dall is in the mix too, they have less wins but same amt of loses, hopefully they help us out while trying to help themselves when they face Hou/Utah/Por. I dont think GSW will faulter to our lvl or to the bottom 2 spots, would take some sort of major injuries to one of their key players for that to happen.

DALLAS

Atlanta-W
Sacramento-W
Orlando-W
@New Orleans-W
Lakers-L
Milwaukee-W
@Memphis-L
@Brooklyn-L
@Houston-L
Houston-W
@Detroit-W
@Minnesota-W
@Milwaukee-W
@San Antonio-L
Cleveland-W
Oklahoma City-L
@Atlanta-L
Brooklyn-L
Boston-L
Utah-L
Clippers-L
Indiana-L
Chicago-L
@Lakers-L
@Denver-L
@Sacramento-W
@Portland-L
Phoenix-W
Denver-L
@New Orleans-W
Memphis-L
New Orleans-W

W-14
L-18
Record-36/46

Again, beign unbiased. I think the Lakers have the easiest ended to a season than anyone else.
The Laker Link

Postby XXIV on Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:11 pm

So basically we have to win at home and win at least half of our road games. We haven't been great at defending our home court this year so I think we'll actually lose more games than what was predicted a page back. Hopefully the other teams competing for the last couple playoff spots also lose more than we thought.
XXIV

Postby The Laker Link on Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:22 pm

WARRIORS

Houston-W
@Utah-W
Phoenix-L
San Antonio-L
@Minnesota-W
@Indiana-L
@NY Knicks-L
@Boston-L
@Philadelphia-L
Toronto-W
Sacramento-W
Houston-L
Milwaukee-W
NY Knicks-L
Detroit-W
Chicago-L
@Houston-W
@New Orleans-W
@San Antonio-L
Washington-W
Lakers-L
Sacramento-L
Portland-L
New Orleans-W
@Phoenix-L
Utah-L
Minnesota-W
Oklahoma City-L
@Lakers-L
San Antonio-L
@Portland-W

W-13
L-18
Record-43/39

Maybe the Lakers can really jump. Just need to play it like everyone expects, beat the easy teams and then worry about the hard teams as best as you can.
The Laker Link

Postby revgen on Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:42 pm

4-3 roadtrip isn't too bad if we were any other team in the league. Hopefully, it's a sign of better things to come.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:48 pm

^I agree with that. Amidst all the drama, we still went 7-3 in the last 10; our most consistent basketball of the season. Outside of the collapse in Phoenix, the shellacking we got in Boston, and a very bad 4th quarter against Miami in a winnable game, I'm happy.
dwighthowardsdad

Postby Chillbongo on Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:58 pm

^ Not to mention that in the last 7 games, we were without one of our starting 2 big man for the ENTIRE stretch.

We'd be 8-2 if not for Phoenix, and going 4-3 on the road without a starting big man for every one of those games is pretty awesome.
Chillbongo

Postby LakerFanIam on Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:45 pm

Chillbongo wrote:^ Not to mention that in the last 7 games, we were without one of our starting 2 big man for the ENTIRE stretch.

We'd be 8-2 if not for Phoenix, and going 4-3 on the road without a starting big man for every one of those games is pretty awesome.

Unfortunately, there are no more moral victories or what ifs for us this season... We are playing much better that the first half of the season... .700 ball the rest of the way is about as low as we can go & hope to have a shot.
LakerFanIam

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:58 pm

The 10-11 Lakers went 4-3 on their Grammy roadtrip and the 09-10 Lakers went 5-3. It's not an easy stretch of games

Only the super motivated 08-09 Lakers that won 65 games managed to take care of business, going 6-0 on the trip.
JoelMyersScrotalSack

Postby Chillbongo on Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:32 pm

WE WENT 6-0?

Who did we play? I must know. That is epic.
Chillbongo

Postby timothy on Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:39 pm

Chillbongo wrote:WE WENT 6-0?

Who did we play? I must know. That is epic.

yeah we had Ariza who was just balling for us with his hustle, defense, and athleticism. we played boston and won by 1 pt in OT, i believe pau blocked ray allen's shot in that game iirc.

G Feb Opponent Time Pac./East. TV Results
45 Jan 30 @ Minnesota Timberwolves 05:00 / 08:00 pm KCAL HD W 132-119
46 Jan 31 @ Memphis Grizzlies 05:00 / 08:00 pm KCAL HD W 115-98
47 Feb 2 @ New York Knicks 04:30 / 07:30 pm KCAL HD W 126-117
48 Feb 4 @ Toronto Raptors 04:00 / 07:00 pm KCAL HD W 115-107
49 Feb 5 @ Boston Celtics 05:00 / 08:00 pm TNT W 110-109 OT
50 Feb 8 @ Cleveland Cavaliers 12:30 / 03:30 pm ABC W 101-91

DAMN, we started 15-1 this season; including beginning 7-0, we started off 27-5.

to put it into perspective, our 10th loss of that season occured Feb 11th(today).

just two years removed from a title, how far we've fallen. . .
Last edited by timothy on Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
timothy

Postby Juronimo on Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:41 pm

I remember the game against Cleveland, Kobe was ailing and Lamar went nuts, essentially winning the game by himself. It was a hell of a performance.

Ferguson, we hear you.
RIP Mike Brown.
Juronimo

Postby Chillbongo on Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:47 pm

That is epic. I believe that Boston game Kobe hit a game winner with a few seconds left.

Also, that road trip was easier competition than this one. So I'll take it as a sign of progress.

But yeah, we were epic then, I really miss Ariza, young Kobe/Lamar/Pau and Fisher.
Chillbongo

Postby timothy on Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:59 pm

Chillbongo wrote:But yeah, we were epic then, I really miss Ariza, young Kobe/Lamar/Pau and Fisher.

i know, sasha and farmar too. seriously just look at all of those Ws that came like it's nothing when you scroll down. . simply superb. how i miss the winning tradition with the Lakers.

http://www.lakersuniverse.com/seasondet ... hedule.htm
timothy

Postby Chillbongo on Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:03 pm

^ Definitely took those years for granted.

Now I feel pain. Ouch.
Chillbongo

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:19 pm

Chillbongo wrote:That is epic. I believe that Boston game Kobe hit a game winner with a few seconds left.

Also, that road trip was easier competition than this one. So I'll take it as a sign of progress.

But yeah, we were epic then, I really miss Ariza, young Kobe/Lamar/Pau and Fisher.

Actually the game where Kobe hit the game winner came the season after, that was the same year he had like 7 GW shots.

That team was so amazing. They swept the Celtics and Cavs that season and were the only team the entire season to beat the Cavs on their home floor (they lost two games but I don't count the 2nd one bc LeBron and a few starters sat the game out). After getting whooped in the Finals they were on a mission to destroy anyone that got in their way. They finished as the 1st seed in the West...the 2nd seed finished ELEVEN games behind them!
JoelMyersScrotalSack

Postby DHL on Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:40 pm

Juronimo wrote:I remember the game against Cleveland, Kobe was ailing and Lamar went nuts, essentially winning the game by himself. It was a hell of a performance.

Lakers fan since 1997
I LOVE THE CLUBLAKERS SIGNATURE RULES!!!!
DHL

Postby DHL on Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:41 pm

JoelMyersScrotalSack wrote:
Chillbongo wrote:That is epic. I believe that Boston game Kobe hit a game winner with a few seconds left.

Actually the game where Kobe hit the game winner came the season after, that was the same year he had like 7 GW shots.

That team was so amazing. They swept the Celtics and Cavs that season and were the only team the entire season to beat the Cavs on their home floor (they lost two games but I don't count the 2nd one bc LeBron and a few starters sat the game out). After getting whooped in the Finals they were on a mission to destroy anyone that got in their way. They finished as the 1st seed in the West...the 2nd seed finished ELEVEN games behind them!

Lakers fan since 1997
I LOVE THE CLUBLAKERS SIGNATURE RULES!!!!
DHL

Postby Lakerjones on Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:43 pm

puffyusaf#2 wrote:It sucks that we are fighting "Divadom" with Dwight and the bottom of the standings. i believe we will make the playoffs. We just need to finally get our Diva in fricken line.

Agreed. Actually the Diva is the one who needs to get himself in line. Nash has spoken. Kobe's spoken. Even "Easy" Earl Clark has spoken!! Get your crap together Dwight.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby Finwë on Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:56 am

DHL wrote:
JoelMyersScrotalSack wrote:

Damn that was sweet. Pau with the game saving block, had just gotten one a few seconds before. Clutch.

I miss LO
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby wcsoldier81 on Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:13 am

6-0 trip with Drew going down during the 2nd game at Memphis .... he was having a monster stretch ... something like 25 and 15 in the last 5 games or so ...

That team was something else mentally
wcsoldier81

Postby Nikez on Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:27 am

wcsoldier81 wrote:6-0 trip with Drew going down during the 2nd game at Memphis .... he was having a monster stretch ... something like 25 and 15 in the last 5 games or so ...

That team was something else mentally

Check my sig, it's because of the pain they had to go thru losing to boston in 08. One of the most humiliating, gruesome playoff series in lakers history. So naturally they were coming into the next season with a vengeance, I remember as a fan having that same passion and always thinking "we absolutely HAVE to win the title this year". While we have had many obstacles this year as it hasn't been easy, we just don't have enough killer instinct from our players to make it work.

The good news is it appears that we are getting better, instead of going nowhere or getting worse. The bad news is that it is most likely too little too late, so next year really has me excited that we can seriously compete.
Before long, someone recognized Phil Jackson sitting in the front seat, and then the rocks began to fly. Revelers pelted the bus and shook it, mocking the Lakers at their lowest moment.

It was painful,” Lakers forward Pau Gasol(notes) said. “It is a feeling that I want to keep in my mind for every single minute that I’m out there playing them.
Nikez

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:26 am

Lakerjones wrote:
puffyusaf#2 wrote:It sucks that we are fighting "Divadom" with Dwight and the bottom of the standings. i believe we will make the playoffs. We just need to finally get our Diva in fricken line.

Agreed. Actually the Diva is the one who needs to get himself in line. Nash has spoken. Kobe's spoken. Even "Easy" Earl Clark has spoken!! Get your crap together Dwight.

Exactly. Someone (Doc I think) made the analogy of D12 being like LBJ in Cleveland where it was all joke and fun. This attitude has to change and change quick for the Lakers to start dominating. He could show out and clown all the time on the JV squad but once callled up he needs to suit up, shut up and put up. It reminds me a lot of when Pau first got here and we played the C's in the Finals. At that time I didn't think Pau really understood the level he was at compared to Mempis. The next two years we saw a much different Pau in the Finals. I'm optimistic about this still being a Championship calibur team but it will rest on the shoulder of the clown prince.
I don't always bring down the hammer but when I do it is usually to a troll! Stay TROLL FREE my freinds!
puffyusaf#2
Clublakers Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:30 am

Alright things are looking grim, but I'm back and optimsitic again:

1. We're 7-3 in our last ten games and while we're ending with a pop instead of a bang, we're still looking alright. Much better than we did a few weeks ago.

2. Something that's occured to me is that Kobe is really the student of Phil Jackson. He's a student of mental prowess as much as he is the physicality of the game. Dwight Howard is someone who's been coddled his whole life. In the media, among his friends, with his family. He (like puffy said) is LeBron in Cleveland: handed everything without working for it. He's Jim Buss. Well now he's got to be shown the right path. He's got to be shown that it takes a level of dedication to get there. But more importantly he's got to be shown that it's on him. It's on him to do all these things. It's on him to be the beast, to be the man, to have that hunger. There's no friends. There's no pals. The media isn't here to boost you up. Kobe's released a ton of information through the media, some good some bad and they've taken ALL of it and tried to tear Dwight down with it.

My conspiracy theory/optimism of the day is that Kobe is using the media against itself to try to show Dwight that he CAN'T be concerned with what they're saying. He CAN'T be concerned with what's happening outside of him. He MUST see all of these people for what they are: detractors and destractions.

Kobe is slowly forcing Dwight to see all of this. He's forcing Dwight to have a chip on his shoulder. He's molding him mentally, subconsciously, and against his will. Do we have time for this to happen? I don't know. I don't know that Dwight can make it all the way through this and I don't know that we have the time for it to happen, but in the end I'm glad it's happening. I'm glad Kobe is forcing Dwight to get angry. Now we just have to see him take it on the floor, not on the media people and on his teammates. We have to see him take out all that frustration on the rim and on the opposing team. It's coming. I can feel it.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:49 am

Don't look now but we're 15th in defensive rating as of today. Significant improvement from not too long ago when we were in the 21-24th range. Miami, with all of its speed, is just a few points ahead of us (we give up 105.9 points/per 100 possessions they give up 105.4)
JoelMyersScrotalSack

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion