The Optimistic Thread! (TRD's FREEDOM THREAD!)

Re: The Optimistic Thread! (TRD's FREEDOM THREAD!)

Postby Ariza3 on Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:35 pm

ya 2k still shows were 24th in defense and 5th in offense for 9th overall.

clippers will be coming off a b2b so maybe that'll help slow them down.
Ariza3

Postby LooN3y on Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:48 am

im very envious of the Spurs record, although they have a little more youth, but take a look at them, and you know we can do the same.

we just need the chemistry, the coaching, and the effort.

not sure if thats going to come with MDA's forcing antics and dwight's cry baby attitude
LooN3y

Postby dj vitus on Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:26 pm

We're only gonna lose 8 more games the rest of the year. :jam2: Our schedule actually looks fairly pleasing.
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
dj vitus

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:30 pm

There's always next year!!

And if enough shareholders rebel against the VP of basketball operations, they can oust him.
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

Postby Weezy on Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:40 pm

The season is more than half over even though it's the unofficial halfway point, so we're closer to the end of this nightmare. Also, I'm looking forward to the dunk contest, rookies/sophomores game, all-star game, nice distraction from this season.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby SpencerHarrison on Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:43 pm

I thought the adjustments on Griffin were good, and the bench sparked us to get back in the game.
SpencerHarrison

Postby khmrP on Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:45 pm

I was pleasently surprised that it was the bench that helped us the starter looked like crap.
khmrP

Postby revgen on Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:17 am

^Earl Clark and Jamison moving without the ball and Blake feeding them. Nice chemistry.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby The Laker Link on Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:24 am

The Laker Link wrote:
LAKERS

Phoenix-W
Los Angeles-L
Boston-L
Portland-W
@Dallas-W
@Denver-L
Minnesota-W
Atlanta-W
@Oklahoma City-L
@New Orleans-W
Toronto-W
Chicago-L
@Orlando-W
@Atlanta-W
@Indiana-L
Sacramento-W
@Phoenix-W
Washington-W
@Golden State-W
@Minnesota-W
@Milwaukee-W
@Sacramento-W
Dallas-W
Memphis-L
@Los Angeles-L
New Orleans-W
@Portland-W
Golden State-W
San Antonio-L
Houston-W

W-21
L-9

Record-45/37

I kind of wished I looked at some others like the Warriors, because it looked like they might have a hard schedule too, but from the looks of things, we have a simple schedule compared to everyone else between us at 7th place, so I think the Lakers can do this. They will need to beat the easy teams, as is expected, and then we don't have very many hard teams to play, so we just need to play smart and get the right stuff going and I think the Lakers can get into the playoffs.

If you guys think I am crazy, somewhere.....you can tell me and maybe correct some things, if you feel so inclined. I don't mind.

So far I am 100% on our prediction, so we still have a chance to get into the playoffs, I guess we'll wait and see if I can stay right and if other teams follow in the other predictions I gave out.
The Laker Link

Postby wcsoldier81 on Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:47 am

I just saw that Eandre Jordan FT attempt ... 2nd worst ever :man10: :man10: :man10:
wcsoldier81

Postby Chillbongo on Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:53 am

7 guys with at least 10 points.

12 Turnovers. (3-Nash/Bryant 4-Dwight, 1-Blake/Jamison)

33 boards between 'Twan/Clark/D12

50% FG

Lookin like a team guys, lookin like a team.....

:jam2:
Chillbongo

Postby therealdeal on Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:12 pm

^ Thank God you bumped this. :man10:

I was going to come in here, but I was waiting for the right moment.

Yesterday to me looked like a real team. They looked like a team that could beat anybody on any given night and it started with Dwight and Kobe. Dwight was so focused, he looked WAY closer to Orlando Dwight than anything else he's shown us so far. Has he bought into being the future here? Who knows. Statistically this was far closer to an outlier than to a trend.

But all I know is that if he plays the way he played last night he frees up Clark. He frees up Artest. He frees up Nash and Kobe and the team really clicks.

The second part is Kobe's effort defensively. He gambled a few times, but his help defense was really great. The possession when he drew a charge on Bass, his activity was SKY high. It was really impressive to watch. I think he needs to give that kind of effort in those situations EVERY night. It's not just about scoring or assisting or shutting down one guy for 3 plays. It's about helping the helper and when he does it, the team will follow suit.

I'm not as optimstic as I've been in the past about the team this season. The slim chance for the playoffs gets slimmer by the hour. But they definitely looked like a team on a mission last night and that's the first step.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:13 pm

yesterday they looked like the scary team that no one would want to play. No team in the West wants to see these guys click. I on the other hand do :man9:
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby Chillbongo on Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:21 pm

Hell yeah! Beat the Celtics in convincing fashion after the passing of the Dr...what more optimism could there be?
Chillbongo

Postby gcclaker on Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:23 pm

They don't look like death warmed over prior to the Grammy trip. There's some lift. Some fire. Health issues notwithstanding. I still would like to see them act like cornered dogs and put the hurt on upcoming opponents.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:24 pm

Well, our next two are against Portland & Dallas. We should win those games. No time to lose games that we have the advantage in...
dwighthowardsdad

Postby Chillbongo on Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:28 pm

therealdeal wrote:Yesterday to me looked like a real team. They looked like a team that could beat anybody on any given night and it started with Dwight and Kobe.

It's funny you mention this. I was watching the game with pops last night, and he had the exact same comment. Specifically for our defensive effort at times.

therealdeal wrote:Dwight was so focused, he looked WAY closer to Orlando Dwight than anything else he's shown us so far.

I'm not as optimstic as I've been in the past about the team this season. The slim chance for the playoffs gets slimmer by the hour. But they definitely looked like a team on a mission last night and that's the first step.

I've been a heavy critic of Dwight, but it's only because I knew he could put up performances like THAT. And because I expect them, unfortunately for me. Playing inside out does wonders....and this is the Doc Rivers coached BOSTON defense at that.

Playoff chances are slim, but this is the optimist thread. If not for anything else, we're showing we can compete next year with this roster. I know that missing the playoffs is pretty much the biggest FAILURE in Lakerland, but after all that's happened this season, I can see the glass half full.
Chillbongo

Postby Lakerjones on Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:00 pm

^^ I am with you guys. Last night's game actually had me the most optimistic I have been all season long. The emergence of the Nash/Howard pick and roll was beautiful to behold. The defense and the intensity and effort by the whole team was something to behold. That was the most proud I've felt as a Laker fan all year. More than the OKC win here at Staples, more than Brooklyn on the road. I just felt like we were seeing what the Lakers should and could be as a team. The offense was clicking. The defense was clicking. And we beat Those Guys for the good Doctor. I was so pumped. Still am. That purple and gold is kicking up inside of me. :bow:
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby Aonex on Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:03 pm

I'm with him:

Bryant: It's not a question of if we make the playoffs. We will. And when we get there, I have no fear of anyone -- Oklahoma City, San Antonio, Denver ... whoever. I have zero nervousness about that.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nba/ne ... z2LZdL8trv
In the real world, the day Steph awoke at 9 a.m. to begin his Ustream show, Kobe Bryant probably awoke at the same time, even if it was 6 a.m. in California, and lifted weights.
Aonex

Postby dj vitus on Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:40 pm

Kobe actually took a charge AND got the right call. :man4:
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
dj vitus

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:17 pm

Aonex wrote:I'm with him:

Bryant: It's not a question of if we make the playoffs. We will. And when we get there, I have no fear of anyone -- Oklahoma City, San Antonio, Denver ... whoever. I have zero nervousness about that.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nba/ne ... z2LZdL8trv

I agree with the Mamba :jam2: :bow: :jam2:
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby revgen on Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:41 pm

If we play like we did last night, we'll definitely make it.

The problem is that we'll show this kind of effort for awhile, like we did after the "team meeting", then we'll stop. Then we'll start again like we did last night.

We have to sustain this kind of effort.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby scheven on Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:34 pm

Houston and Golden State won big games tonight, but I still feel good about our playoff chances.
Tonight's game vs the Blazers was a big one. If we had lost a game that close at home against another team chasing the 8th spot, it would have crushed our team's spirit big time.

Also, Dwight finally looks like he cares. He's showing more effort and CARE, regardless of the touches he gets. He was also out there staying positive, clapping and encouraging his teammates even after a string of turnovers. I like what I see.
scheven

Postby Jazzygirl205 on Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:38 pm

Well I feel a "tad" bit more confident than I did before. This team is giving me the impression that their minds are on the same thing, winning a NBA title. None of that other distracting outside stuff matters anymore, I think they're being driven by wanting to prove the naysayers wrong, and that's the best fuel.
Jazzygirl205

Postby kobebryant248 on Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:48 pm

they are competing right now and d12 looks way much better after the all star break. so i still have the faith on the team and i still trust them to make the playoffs.
kobebryant248

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion