The Optimistic Thread! (TRD's FREEDOM THREAD!)

Re: The Optimistic Thread! (TRD's FREEDOM THREAD!)

Postby Lakerjones on Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:53 pm

Magic Skywalker wrote:Very optimistic right now about this Laker team.

I was very negative at some point during the season (who wasn't, really) but we're really improving little by little in everything. We're winning on the road, we're winning close games, there's a clear improvement in team chemistry, Mike D'Antoni is coaching a lot better (it took him a while, but now we're not trying to be Phoenix 2006, and rotations are much better) and we're actually defending more (a lot to improve here still, but we're definitely better than before).

We have two hard games now (@Atlanta and @Indiana) but afterwards, it's 7 VERY winnable games (vs SAC, @PHX, vs WAS, @GSW, @MIN, @MIL, @SAC and vs DAL). Milwaukee is probably the most difficult of them all.

^^ Great post, and I agree with you Magic Skywalker. Plus we're going to get Pau back sooner than later as well. I'm hoping we can grab another win out of these next two.
Lakerjones

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:22 am

I'm hoping we put together a nice 7+ game winning streak at some point over these final 20 games or so. We haven't had more than a 5 game winning streak since March 2011 :hurl:
JoelMyersScrotalSack

Postby lakerfan2 on Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:25 am

being on this side of 500 feels so nice. lol
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby therealdeal on Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:26 am

Another day and another smile.

First off let me just say that I'm glad this thread is still alive and kicking. I know not too long ago we were 17-25 and I was starting to really doubt this team and thus this thread seemed misplaced...

I'll admit! I had been looking towards the future and perhaps subconsciously had given up a little bit. I'd already begun thinking "well if we do this over the summer, we can do this". I still had an eye on this season and my mantra was always "we're not out until mathematically we're eliminated," but I would be lying if I said my faith didn't falter a bit.

Now we still might miss the playoffs, but everything that's happened in the last 2-3 weeks has given me new cause for optimism. Even if we miss the playoffs, we'll be a team that went down swinging and fighting to the last breath and given the drama around this season, that's all we could really hope for I think.

My optimism of the day: We're now 3 games over .500 at 34-31. I think it's fairly safe to say now that we're a pretty good team. It wasn't safe to say that a month ago.

We're going up against another pretty good team in Atlanta who is 34-29. This is a game we can win and I think honestly that we should win. We have similar records, we have better chemistry at this point, and we're more desperate. At some point we need to beat good teams on the road if we want to make ANY noise in the playoffs. Now's a great time to start.

I think tonight ends up being a dog fight, but I think we win this game.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Chillbongo on Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:38 am

therealdeal wrote:Now we still might miss the playoffs, but everything that's happened in the last 2-3 weeks has given me new cause for optimism. Even if we miss the playoffs, we'll be a team that went down swinging and fighting to the last breath and given the drama around this season, that's all we could really hope for I think.

Real you know we're making the playoffs. But I appreciate you staying cool and having perspective :man1:

My optimism is DWIGHT FREAKIN' HOWARD. Couldn't watch the game but saw highlights and listened to a bit on the radio. Like it's been said, if dude can shoot 65% on 39 attempts in his FIRST game back in Orlando, he can make them any time.

Why does this matter? Because despite the injuries, it's Dwight's mental tenacity that we've doubted this year. The man showed he has an iron will underneath there somewhere. Yupp, the man. He can get called that now, because he sure as hell didn't look like a child out there.
Chillbongo

Postby therealdeal on Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:54 am

Chillbongo wrote:
therealdeal wrote:Now we still might miss the playoffs, but everything that's happened in the last 2-3 weeks has given me new cause for optimism. Even if we miss the playoffs, we'll be a team that went down swinging and fighting to the last breath and given the drama around this season, that's all we could really hope for I think.

Real you know we're making the playoffs. But I appreciate you staying cool and having perspective :man1:

Hey man, I'm just trying to be sure us Laker fans don't get so holed up in our Laker Land that we don't see things objectively... Just sayin'... :man1:
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:05 am

therealdeal wrote:
Chillbongo wrote:

Hey man, I'm just trying to be sure us Laker fans don't get so holed up in our Laker Land that we don't see things objectively... Just sayin'... :man1:

^^ :man10: :man10: :man10:

Great post up there, btw, realdeal. :bow: And I'm with you on some renewed optimism. I like what you said, even if we don't make the playoffs (I do think we will) we went down swinging. We're putting in the effort now.

Also with you about beating a good team or two on the road now in preparation for the playoffs where we are going to have to beat every team on the road, and they are all good. This would be a great game to start.
Lakerjones

Postby pound4pound1 on Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:05 am

please please please please lets keep this going

i can finally look at the standings again
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby Chillbongo on Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:13 am

Nah you're right, can't blame us fans for walking on eggshells this season. BUT, I'm like a giddy pre-teen girl watching this team right now :jam2:
Chillbongo

Postby Chillbongo on Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:20 am

And we've held opponents under 100 points for the last 8/15 games!

Of the 7 we didn't, one game went to OT, and the others were against high-flyers in MIA, LAC, OKC, and DEN.
Chillbongo

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:38 am

I am glad you guys have renewed optimism. Welcome back to my world of having faith.
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby gcclaker on Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:46 am

I read the Woj article in the Howard thread and it isn't a far fetched possibility for the squad to move up in the standings let alone clinch a spot. Personally I really dislike handicapping possibilities given many factors could come into play but given their play since the ASG it is certainly reassuring [knocking on wood].

Everyone is saying no one wants US in the first round when I get the feeling it is the opposite which I feel helps with motivation.
Nor can the Lakers get blamed for always making the right decisions over decades. At some point its not just luck or "gamble", its superior management and superior ownership.
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:55 am

puffyusaf#2 wrote:I am glad you guys have renewed optimism. Welcome back to my world of having faith.

Don't get cocky now :man10:
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:57 am

therealdeal wrote:
puffyusaf#2 wrote:I am glad you guys have renewed optimism. Welcome back to my world of having faith.

Don't get cocky now :man10:

What my Optimism posting is vastly superior to everyone elses ..lol.

We win tonight that will be fricken huge for our momentum.
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby therealdeal on Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:34 pm

A win tonight I think puts us right in the conversation with middle pack playoff teams, right?

We'd sweep a season series and beat a playoff team on the road...

It'd be really great to get a win tonight. I think we will, but it'll be another tough game.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Chillbongo on Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:41 pm

It will be tough unless Dwight engages BEAST MODE again. I'm anticipating a good game from Jamison. Kobe will be in attack mode because he didn't expend himself yesterday.

In fact, I think that was intended. Kobe literally was saving his legs for today and it worked because Dwight had a monster game. In the event that someone's off tonight, I think Kobe will be on.

Nash and Jamison will show up tonight. How close of a game it is depends on if Clark and Dwight can get theirs.
Chillbongo

Postby Doc Brown on Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:46 pm

Some perspective on how big it'd be for Lakers to win these two in ATL and IND. After this trip, Lakers don't ...
face any more daunting road games the rest of the season, really. The toughest road opponent left isn't even a real road game -- April 7 at the Clippers at Staples Center -- and the only other teams with winning records the Lakers have to visit are hardly intimidating: Golden State (36-29) and Milwaukee (32-30).

So if the Lakers can beat the undermanned Hawks tonight and then get the rugged Pacers on Friday, they'd be very well positioned to continue rolling through the final 15 games -- especially with Pau Gasol (foot) probably back next week. 2 minutes ago

:jam2:
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Tobias Funke on Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:25 pm

gcclaker wrote:Everyone is saying no one wants US in the first round when I get the feeling it is the opposite which I feel helps with motivation.

I really dont think anyone wants to face this team. Not saying they're afraid that we'll beat them, but I really think we'll be considered the most difficult out of the potential 6-8th ranked teams in the West. Everyone does love to beat us though, lol.
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

Tobias Funke

Postby lakersyunowin on Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:00 pm

at least utah will probably lose.
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby Scnottaken on Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:06 pm

Lakers were merely cold. Missed some very makeable shots. Doubt it'll happen again, especially since there are no B2B in a full season's playoffs.
I want to hear "Beat LA" chants at a Clipper vs Laker game
Scnottaken

Postby revgen on Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:11 pm

Utah lost. So we don't lose ground.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby Scnottaken on Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:13 pm

revgen wrote:Utah lost. So we don't lose ground.

Don't jinx it :man10:
I want to hear "Beat LA" chants at a Clipper vs Laker game
Scnottaken

Postby KBJelleyBean24 on Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:20 pm

Tired and playing a loose Atlanta team with nothing to lose. Utah will most likely lose tonight so no worries.
I should get an assist for that. It's an intentional pass to oneself, so it's an assist. That way people can't say all I do is shoot.
-Kobe on passing the ball to himself off the backboard.
KBJelleyBean24

Postby dj vitus on Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:34 pm

We can still win 50. :jam2:
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
dj vitus

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:40 pm

We had a let down. Missed too many open shots. Forgot to finish. All that I see us playing much better in Indy. We have bounced back after each loss and I expect a win.
puffyusaf#2

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion