The Optimistic Thread! (TRD's FREEDOM THREAD!)

Re: The Optimistic Thread! (TRD's FREEDOM THREAD!)

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:05 am

Mike Trudell ‏@LakersReporter
After a very poor start on the road, LAL have gone 8-6 in their last 14 away from Staples. They've won 10 of 11 (6 straight) at home.
dwighthowardsdad

Postby karacha on Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:24 am

The truth is -- we're playing some of the best ball in the league right now. Well over .700 lately. That does not mean we're the best team or anything, but it's damn nice to see.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby Ariza3 on Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:27 am

Nash Blake Jamison Metta Dwight together shot 35/56 tonight.

team together shot 41/72
Ariza3

Postby therealdeal on Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:08 am

Phew! Optimism is going full steam!

I'm going to take a measured approach today and put it this way: we won't stay this hot from the field forever. Our defense is still a work in progress, but the deadline is coming up soon for how long we can survive that way. Jamison and Blake won't always knock down shots to put us in good positions, we need to continue focusing on the defensive end. So far we've done a pretty good job since the break and I see progress almost every game.

But offensively to say we're "clicking" would be an incredible understatement. We're a symphony right now with our two PGs running the show. It's fun basketball to watch.

Add in Dwight having fun and looking healthy and our Forwards stepping up production without Kobe... Wow. This is a team that can scare some people in the playoffs.

Optimistically?
1. We're now a win tonight away from tying the Rockets for that 7th spot. They've got the season series so far 2-1 on us, so that last game of the season should really be a HUGE game for us.

2. We're only a game and a half behind Golden State for the 6th spot. We should both win our next games, but after that we play the Wizards and they play the Spurs. After that, we should be a game behind them. They play the Wizards and then us, but hopefully they drop 2 of their next 3 before our game. If so, we play them for the 6th spot in the West.

3. Most importantly, we're now a full game ahead of Utah in the Standings and 3.5 games ahead of Portland. Barring a collapse we're in pretty good position here. If we keep winning games we should win, we should be in the playoffs for sure.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Chillbongo on Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:15 am

The defense was good last night, save a few possessions. Still need to work on transition D.

If last night wasn't Sacramento, we could've dug ourselves in a hole late in the game. Of course I'll take us shooting our way back into it, but also won't forget the timely charge the Blake drew on Thompson.

'Tawn and Blake might not be on fire scoring a combined 40+ points, but if we can get 20 from them a game, plus another 10-15 from Meeks/Gasol or whoever, I think we'll be in good shape for the playoffs.

Throw in Ron's 15, and that's halfway to a hundred without accounting for Kobe/Dwight/Nash. The offense is looking good. I hope we can keep the ball moving when Kobe gets back.
Chillbongo

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:27 am

6th seed is within reach...
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby Lakerjones on Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:41 am

We've been taking care of biz since the All Star Break. Keeping up that 2 wins for every 1 loss ratio. That'll get us in the playoffs. Keep on keeping on starting with tonight. Some will say it's a given win, but it's still a road game, back to back and we're still down 2 out of our big 4 stars. If they can squeak out a hard fought win tonight we'll be in perfect position to shoot for that sixth spot. A loss tonight is palatable but not what we want against a lesser opponent. Let's see if we can keep up our good groove here. This is a big one (though they all are at this point).
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:12 pm

Knicks up 4, hopefully they pull this out so we don't lose ground
JoelMyersScrotalSack

Postby Tobias Funke on Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:25 pm

Shorthanded Knicks win on the road in Utah, and the Rockets-Jazz matchup is another win-win.

There's only one game basically over the next week until we play the Warriors, and the Wizards have one of the worst road records in the league so in theory it shouldn't hurt us too bad if Kobe and Pau aren't back for that game.
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

Tobias Funke

Postby khmrP on Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:31 pm

Expected loss @ indy they win...expected win @ atl w/o 3 key players and today. ...go figure
khmrP

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:08 pm

Utah lost. That keeps this game at a "didn't hurt to much" level. Lets get er done on Friday.
I don't always bring down the hammer but when I do it is usually to a troll! Stay TROLL FREE my freinds!
puffyusaf#2
Clublakers Moderator

Postby The Laker Link on Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:41 am

Well, back on page 60 I was predicting they would go on an 8 game win streak right here, hopefully this is the only lose they get. Can still go on a 6 game win streak if all goes well. Guess we wait and see.
The Laker Link

Postby Weezy on Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:47 am

We just need to get Kobe and Pau back and we will be able to make the playoffs. I'm hoping for positive results with Pau's foot, for Kobe to continue to be a quick healer, and for us to be able to beat Washington at home on 3 days rest if neither of them return. I believe we can, and I still think we're going to get into the playoffs in the end.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby dj vitus on Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:21 pm

Optimistically... perhaps yesterday's game was just a fluke. :man12:
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
dj vitus

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:39 pm

Haven't lost my optimism...... Of course I didn't watch the Wiz game so I am not as down in the dumps as everyone.
I don't always bring down the hammer but when I do it is usually to a troll! Stay TROLL FREE my freinds!
puffyusaf#2
Clublakers Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:11 am

puffyusaf#2 wrote:Haven't lost my optimism...... Of course I didn't watch the Wiz game so I am not as down in the dumps as everyone.

^ Euphemistically speaking I'd call it a head scratcher. If this weren't a family friendly site we'd all be calling it something else. But it definitely put at least a temporary damper on the general optimism of getting Pau and Kobe back at last and the strides we had made in not losing back to back games since January. And this was to two teams that are headed for the lottery to add insult to injury. While it's true that we only lost by three and that we had chances to actually put this game into overtime, we completely folded in the second half for no real apparent reason other than lack of heart and effort. The timing of the loss, too, was just mystifying. Back at home, 3 days rest, Pau and Kobe back in. To pour more salt in the wound Jamison, our best bench player by far, suffered a torn ligament in his wrist which he is not going to recover from until offseason surgery. So, yeah, this one hurt a lot.

Big game tonight. If we can beat GS at their house then we will still be in the hunt for the 6th spot, although as others have said, it does not look likely to catch Houston after our loss to the Wiz and their win over SAS last night. So more realistically we are fighting for the 7th or 8th spot with GS. Considering Denver's current streak and the news about Marc Gasol, plus the Clippers faltering, it might be a blessing in disguise as Denver gives us a lot of trouble and could likely hold the 3 spot. But then again it might not.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby gcclaker on Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:38 am

puffyusaf#2 wrote:Haven't lost my optimism...... Of course I didn't watch the Wiz game so I am not as down in the dumps as everyone.

Not down in the dumps but merely befuddled and bemused... :man12:
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:57 am

One game shake it off. This is the game that really matters. We'll see if what D'Antoni said knocks some sense into these guys.

And if our health can ever improve.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:27 am

Lakerjones wrote:

^ Euphemistically speaking I'd call it a head scratcher. If this weren't a family friendly site we'd all be calling it something else. But it definitely put at least a temporary damper on the general optimism of getting Pau and Kobe back at last and the strides we had made in not losing back to back games since January. And this was to two teams that are headed for the lottery to add insult to injury. While it's true that we only lost by three and that we had chances to actually put this game into overtime, we completely folded in the second half for no real apparent reason other than lack of heart and effort. The timing of the loss, too, was just mystifying. Back at home, 3 days rest, Pau and Kobe back in. To pour more salt in the wound Jamison, our best bench player by far, suffered a torn ligament in his wrist which he is not going to recover from until offseason surgery. So, yeah, this one hurt a lot.

Big game tonight. If we can beat GS at their house then we will still be in the hunt for the 6th spot, although as others have said, it does not look likely to catch Houston after our loss to the Wiz and their win over SAS last night. So more realistically we are fighting for the 7th or 8th spot with GS. Considering Denver's current streak and the news about Marc Gasol, plus the Clippers faltering, it might be a blessing in disguise as Denver gives us a lot of trouble and could likely hold the 3 spot. But then again it might not.

Thanks LJ. I can see the frustration. I recorded the game and walked in saw we lost and hit "DELETE" on the DVR. We have been snake bitten this year but just like the LA Kings last season all we have to do is get to the playoffs and it all starts over....hopefully.
puffyusaf#2
Clublakers Moderator

Postby Nikez on Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:32 am

^^^ I still remain optimistic that if we make the playoffs, it will really be a confidence booster for us and help our key players flip that mental switch they need. I just hope they play with that edge CONSISTENTLY.
Before long, someone recognized Phil Jackson sitting in the front seat, and then the rocks began to fly. Revelers pelted the bus and shook it, mocking the Lakers at their lowest moment.

It was painful,” Lakers forward Pau Gasol(notes) said. “It is a feeling that I want to keep in my mind for every single minute that I’m out there playing them.
Nikez

Postby Lakerjones on Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:56 pm

puffyusaf#2 wrote:
Lakerjones wrote:

Thanks LJ. I can see the frustration. I recorded the game and walked in saw we lost and hit "DELETE" on the DVR. We have been snake bitten this year but just like the LA Kings last season all we have to do is get to the playoffs and it all starts over....hopefully.

^^ We really have Puffy. And yeah, I like what you're saying - get in there and see what we can do. You know me, I'm far from throwing dirt on these guys right now. Just pissed as hell that we lost a second game in a row to a sub .500 team, and with all the things I mentioned. We had been incredibly consistent in not losing two games in a row since back in January. And we needed to keep that up. And the WAY they let the other team right back in and eventually win was the clincher for all of the frustration here. It certainly got MDA all riled up, and rightfully so. He had his own failings IMO in the fourth quarter by either going to Kobe ISO by design or default by letting him do it. But I only blame the Lakers themselves for that depressing third quarter. 18 point lead wiped out? Unforgivable to that kind of team, while you're in the a playoff hunt, on home floor, etc.

But yeah, realdeal's right. We've got a must win game tonight. Let's see if the Lakers can redeem themselves with a victory. A loss tonight and there will be a conniption over here at CL. We need this one.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby Battle Tested20 on Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:25 pm

I'm still optimistic about our circumstances but I just wish we didn't lose Jamison last game. Losing the game happens but hopefully Jamison won't keep getting hit on that wrist. (fingers crossed)
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:31 pm

A good win tonight would do wonders for fixing the blah mood of the board.
puffyusaf#2
Clublakers Moderator

Postby Tobias Funke on Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:03 pm

Well, this is awkward......

Umm lets see. Well, this team does tend to fight all the way to the end even when they're down and out. Thats all I got.
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

Tobias Funke

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:06 pm

After the Wiz game I am really surprised at how we started tonight. Painful. Optimism took a hit....BUT... Damn it when Kobe is on my team I will have fricken optimism.
puffyusaf#2
Clublakers Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion