The Optimistic Thread! (TRD's FREEDOM THREAD!)

Re: The Optimistic Thread! (TRD's FREEDOM THREAD!)

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:25 pm

nthydro wrote:
therealdeal wrote:Hard NOT to feel optimistic about this team when they win a back to back in such exciting fashion. Not only that, but they seem to have found a winning formula with Pau/Kobe/Dwight. The last step is getting their bench guys to contribute a little more and that should come when/if Nash gets back.

I'm sorry but barely beating a depleted Blazers team who sucked even at full strength should not evoke any optimism what so ever.

Im baffled how many people forget that the Portland Trailblazers, no matter who they have playing, always play LA tough in Portland. The shaq/Kobe Lakers had problems with them, the Kobe/Pau Lakers had problems with them and we will continue to have problems with them. It is Portland. Don't know why some fans fail to understand that. Playing LA is a championship game for teams like Portland, Celtics and Sacto. So I disagree with your assesment that it should not evoke optimism..... It does and it should and it did.
I don't always bring down the hammer but when I do it is usually to a troll! Stay TROLL FREE my freinds!
puffyusaf#2
Clublakers Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:27 pm

nthydro wrote:
therealdeal wrote:Hard NOT to feel optimistic about this team when they win a back to back in such exciting fashion. Not only that, but they seem to have found a winning formula with Pau/Kobe/Dwight. The last step is getting their bench guys to contribute a little more and that should come when/if Nash gets back.

I'm sorry but barely beating a depleted Blazers team who sucked even at full strength should not evoke any optimism what so ever.

It's okay. :)
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby FabFourLakers on Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:58 pm

puffyusaf#2 wrote:
FabFourLakers wrote:
puffyusaf#2 wrote:Kenny smith said we definately won't make it to the playoffs.... That made me more optimistic

The guys at NBATV have been saying it for half the season now that Lakers won't make the playoffs....I'm actually surprised Kenny doesn't think Lakers will make it....maybe he meant to say he HOPES the Lakers will not make it? I remember a few years back when the Lakers faced the Rockets in the postseason, and Yao Ming went down, and the Rockets still took us to 7 games... i remember kenny and charles were rooting hard for Houston and they said something like lakers dont DESERVE to win the championship because they're disrespecting the game of basketball by NOT blowing the Rockets out of the water. Does anybody remember that? Ever since then, I have really not liked Kenny Smith...

yea I remembered that series. They carried that crap on into the Denver (I think) series were we also went 6 or 7. Charles kept saying that LA doesn't deserve to be there or play for the ring. I get that LA hasn't done much to make anyone fear them but they have one of the best records coming out of the allstar game. I love when these guys doubt LA... We usually win when they are all againt us.

Yeah its really annoying when they do it...but surprisingly, Chuck did mention the Lakers as one of the teams he would like to see in the NBA finals instead of OKC because he thinks Miami would beat OKC very easily like last year. Also, reggie and chris webber said that nobody wants to see the Lakers in the first round...esp San Antonio...I kinda dont want them to think this...like u said, i love when they're all against us..we usually win
FabFourLakers

Postby nthydro on Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:01 pm

puffyusaf#2 wrote:
nthydro wrote:

Im baffled how many people forget that the Portland Trailblazers, no matter who they have playing, always play LA tough in Portland. The shaq/Kobe Lakers had problems with them, the Kobe/Pau Lakers had problems with them and we will continue to have problems with them. It is Portland. Don't know why some fans fail to understand that. Playing LA is a championship game for teams like Portland, Celtics and Sacto. So I disagree with your assesment that it should not evoke optimism..... It does and it should and it did.

I know how difficult it is for the Lakers to win in Portland. But at some point we gotta stop using that as an excuse. They were playing 4 rookies for F sakes. So you're telling me if Portland played a team of D league scrubs the same excuse would fly? Don't get me wrong I was happy we won the game but as far as being optimistic? Ugh...no.
nthydro

Postby dj vitus on Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:22 pm

Houston almost lost at home to Phoenix a couple days ago, and OKC lost against Minnesota. Anything can happen in this league.

There's definitely concern about our defense and overall chemistry, but you can either celebrate that we made heroic plays, or be a defeatist since we "had to make those plays" in order to win. All championship teams make heroic plays, so take your pick.

We had some great wins this year against OKC, Indiana, Brooklyn, etc. Let's see if we can show some West playoff teams in this home stretch what we're made of! :jam2:
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
dj vitus

Postby checkers09 on Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:30 pm

FabFourLakers wrote:
puffyusaf#2 wrote:Kenny smith said we definately won't make it to the playoffs.... That made me more optimistic

The guys at NBATV have been saying it for half the season now that Lakers won't make the playoffs....I'm actually surprised Kenny doesn't think Lakers will make it....maybe he meant to say he HOPES the Lakers will not make it? I remember a few years back when the Lakers faced the Rockets in the postseason, and Yao Ming went down, and the Rockets still took us to 7 games... i remember kenny and charles were rooting hard for Houston and they said something like lakers dont DESERVE to win the championship because they're disrespecting the game of basketball by NOT blowing the Rockets out of the water. Does anybody remember that? Ever since then, I have really not liked Kenny Smith...

I remember that and he also ranted about Phil and Kobe. Talking about how nonchalant they were and how the whole team feeds off of it. That there wasn't any sense of urgency. He said the Lakers were arrogant and didn't deserve to win.

Yet as I watched him Monday, I could not help think how little it mattered and how right he is. He is not fading into the shadows. He does not know how to go out that way.[.]
checkers09

Postby dj vitus on Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:39 pm

I think a lot of Laker fans felt the same way too, that if we have trouble putting away "bad" teams, we don't deserve to win the title. :man9:
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
dj vitus

Postby Juronimo on Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:57 pm

checkers09 wrote:
FabFourLakers wrote:

I remember that and he also ranted about Phil and Kobe. Talking about how nonchalant they were and how the whole team feeds off of it. That there wasn't any sense of urgency. He said the Lakers were arrogant and didn't deserve to win.

They were right to an extent. I remember that series clearly. Houston had no business hanging with us for 7 games but we didn't take them seriously at all. I think the only game we played them hard was game 5 which was a 30 point blowout or something. I remember how frustrated I was watching that series.

Ferguson, we hear you.
RIP Mike Brown.
Juronimo

Postby therealdeal on Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:45 pm

I hope Kobe can make a recovery from this.

I hope that Dwight decides to stay this summer.

I hope we make it out of this season without any more serious injuries.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby wcsoldier81 on Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:46 pm

Make the playoffs for Kobe
wcsoldier81

Postby DarthRekal on Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:46 pm

i hope mike a .. gets the boot
Lakers Motto: HOF Guards, We MAKE 'Em... HOF Centers, We TAKE 'Em
DarthRekal
Cookie Monster

Postby lakersyunowin on Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:49 pm

winning a championship for kobe and dr. b, a near impossibility, but this is a thread for hope is it not?
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby Battle Tested20 on Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:52 am

Ever since Dr. Buss died I have over the last couple of weeks and usually ever day the Lakers play think to myself I wonder what he's thinking or knows about while he's watching from the "ultimate" skybox.

Deep, deep down in my heart I think something truly incredibly special might come of this Kobe injury. Not this year, but before Kobe's time is all said and done he might just get what he deserves. I get emotionally now just thinking of the picture of Kobe winning his 6th ring after everything that has happened in his career, this year, and now with this endearing injury.

Some can call this faith, some can it destiny, but I just believe that something good will happen to Kobe down the road. He works too hard at his craft for his career and legacy to end like this.

It's why I tweeted Kobe this exact quote he said from my signature below so long ago:

"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby FabFourLakers on Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:28 am

Battle Tested20 wrote:Ever since Dr. Buss died I have over the last couple of weeks and usually ever day the Lakers play think to myself I wonder what he's thinking or knows about while he's watching from the "ultimate" skybox.

Deep, deep down in my heart I think something truly incredibly special might come of this Kobe injury. Not this year, but before Kobe's time is all said and done he might just get what he deserves. I get emotionally now just thinking of the picture of Kobe winning his 6th ring after everything that has happened in his career, this year, and now with this endearing injury.

Some can call this faith, some can it destiny, but I just believe that something good will happen to Kobe down the road. He works too hard at his craft for his career and legacy to end like this.

It's why I tweeted Kobe this exact quote he said from my signature below so long ago:

I believe in what you're saying....everything truly happens for a reason...and Kobe going down like this is NOT the end by any means, and he WILL be back stronger than ever and the Lakers will be back next year stronger than ever. I'm not worried at all.
FabFourLakers

Postby wallangong on Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:18 am

I don't know if we'll be back stronger than ever next year, but I now think Kobe will play 2 more full seasons (not including next year). We will retool and we'll be back.
Go Buffs.
wallangong

Postby escobar8 on Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:31 am

wallangong wrote:I don't know if we'll be back stronger than ever next year, but I now think Kobe will play 2 more full seasons (not including next year). We will retool and we'll be back.

i agree...maybe this break could prolonge his career...i have no doubt we will see him again...
escobar8

Postby dj vitus on Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:30 am

I'm hopeful that someday, all sports will finally accept the fact that barefoot shoes are the best way to go in terms of reducing risk of injury and increasing performance.
dj vitus

Postby Weezy on Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:39 pm

I don't know if this is optimistic or not, but I'm still excited to see if our guys can rise to the challenge, win these last 2 games and get into the playoffs. The Kobe injury is terrible and depressing, but at the same time in a Lakers fan first and the team marches on. It will be interesting to see who steps up with Kobe out, who we can possibly rely on going forward, post-Kobe retirement even. I'm not calling the season a wrap with Kobe out, I'll watch until there are no more games. I think we're a first round exit if we make the playoffs with or without Kobe, but I'll watch til the end.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakersyunowin on Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:03 pm

Weezy wrote:I don't know if this is optimistic or not, but I'm still excited to see if our guys can rise to the challenge, win these last 2 games and get into the playoffs. The Kobe injury is terrible and depressing, but at the same time in a Lakers fan first and the team marches on. It will be interesting to see who steps up with Kobe out, who we can possibly rely on going forward, post-Kobe retirement even. I'm not calling the season a wrap with Kobe out, I'll watch until there are no more games. I think we're a first round exit if we make the playoffs with or without Kobe, but I'll watch til the end.

i'm in the same boat, though to be honest i'd feel a lot better if nash was around and healthy
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby trodgers on Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:08 pm

Nash/Metta/Gasol/Howard/Clark/Meeks

That's still a playoff team. Let's get there, gents.
twitter.com/lakersballtweet lakersball.com
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby pound4pound1 on Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:35 pm

it's time for Dwight to show this franchise that he is worth everything that we're gonna offer him in the summer...let's get to the playoffs and give whoever we run into a serious scare and give this team some hope going into next season
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby CheezStake on Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:39 pm

WIN IT ALL FOR KOBE, nuff said... :bow:
CheezStake

Postby Enforcer on Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:42 pm

Dwight's gone pretty far in the playoffs with less talent than this team.
Enforcer

Postby Doc Brown on Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:46 pm

Nash = Jameer
Pau = Hedo
Jamison = Rashard
Meeks = Lee
D12 = D12
Blake = Alston
Clark = Pietrus

Let's get hot like the Magic did and make a run. :jam2:
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby GoldHammish on Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:10 pm

lakersyunowin wrote:
Weezy wrote:I don't know if this is optimistic or not, but I'm still excited to see if our guys can rise to the challenge, win these last 2 games and get into the playoffs. The Kobe injury is terrible and depressing, but at the same time in a Lakers fan first and the team marches on. It will be interesting to see who steps up with Kobe out, who we can possibly rely on going forward, post-Kobe retirement even. I'm not calling the season a wrap with Kobe out, I'll watch until there are no more games. I think we're a first round exit if we make the playoffs with or without Kobe, but I'll watch til the end.

i'm in the same boat, though to be honest i'd feel a lot better if nash was around and healthy

Well, Nash is supposed to be a game-time decision for tomorrow.
GoldHammish

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion