The Optimistic Thread! (TRD's FREEDOM THREAD!)

Re: The Optimistic Thread! (TRD's FREEDOM THREAD!)

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:05 am

revgen wrote:Although I'm bummed that we're not really looking like we're going to be winning a championship next season, I'm going to try my best to enjoy watching this team. We've brought in some younger FA's who may be fun to watch under D'Antoni's system. Sometimes it's easier to enjoy the experience when your expectations are properly calibrated. Hopefully, they will exceed my expectations, but if not, I can always hope that 2014 brings us better luck.

I'm with you. I actually think Mitch has done a really solid job of building a D'Antoni friendly team for this season. Provided some luck, we'll be a tough out in the first round.

It'll be a lot more relaxing than last season at least. :man10:
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby gcclaker on Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:11 am

I think the current team will be more competitive than last season. The lower expectations will help. I don't see them gelling until about a quarter of the way when everyone has settled into their roles. At least matters won't be in flux with injuries and coaching changes to deal with.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby Ariza3 on Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:04 pm

totally forgot we still have Blake. he was pretty solid for us when he was healthy and im glad hes still a backup. a year with nash and you could definitely tell he pick up a few tricks and we saw them. nash blake and farmar is a pretty solid PG rotation and blake and farmar can play SG too until Kobe is back. Meeks Blake Farmar is small on D but all can shoot.
Ariza3

Postby GoldenKnight on Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:43 am

My season roster of choice:

Nash/Farmar/Blake
Kobe/Henry/Meeks
Young/Johnson
Hill/Williams
Pau/Kaman/Sacre

Not bad considering the situation

Kaman/Young/Johnson/Farmar/Henry in one off-season was already more than I expected...Mitch did an excellent job.

CHECK OUT MY DESIGNS ON FB/INSTAGRAM/TWITTER: @GoldenKnightGFX
GoldenKnight

Postby therealdeal on Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:16 am

All things considered, I agree. Everyone said "Oh the Lakers won't be able to get younger because youth won't want to come here" (and by everyone I also mean Mitch himself).

But Mitch proved Mitch wrong!

Young, Johnson, Farmar, and one or two of: Harris, Landry, Henry, Williams... That's not a bad haul of youth. Not a great haul, but not a bad one either.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Battle Tested20 on Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:02 pm

Pre-season games should be a ton of fun to watch and take in as we will have a lot of competition going on and we a much deeper team this year the pre-season games will allow us to really see as fans how some of our other rotational guys could play

I can't wait!
Last edited by Battle Tested20 on Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby GoldenKnight on Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:43 pm

If we win 1 game in the pre-season we are already a better team than last year :man10:

CHECK OUT MY DESIGNS ON FB/INSTAGRAM/TWITTER: @GoldenKnightGFX
GoldenKnight

Postby Ariza3 on Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:46 pm

Young Johnson and Farmar. At least it will be fun to watch these young guys play for an organization that they actually love and want to play for.
Ariza3

Postby XXIV on Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:43 pm

I'm excited to see if Johnson can improve. With Young and Farmar you pretty much know what you'll get, but Johnson has the potential to be a really good 3 and D guy which is something we could really use.
XXIV

Postby TT24 on Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:04 am

For some reason, I really think we will have a better record this year. I think with so many counting us out, we will be hungrier. And it's not like we have anything to lose.
TT24

Postby LOSLAKERS on Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:58 pm

I agree. My highschool basketball team was actually better when you took off one of the best players cause he just ruined the chemistry and flow of the game.
LOSLAKERS

Postby lakersin4 on Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:39 pm

Johnson has the most unrealized potential of our prospects that aren't rookies (Young, Farmar, Johnson). Young & Farmar have both shown that they can be solid rotation players in this league, & I'm really excited about the fit with D'antoni, especially for Farmar.. I'm expecting the best season of his career. If Johnson can have his breakout like Young/Farmar did, that would be huge for our team. I guess you can group Xavier Henry in with Johnson too if he makes the roster, as he had lottery pick athleticism & still does, but hasn't found the skillset to go with it yet.
lakersin4

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:08 am

I am excited about Jordy Young. and Wes... If this 3 can over achieve we will make the playoffs and make some noise like 1995!!! That was the most fulfilling season for me, no one gave them a chance but NVE Chise EJ Campbell and Divac over achieved and we became a powerhouse with that season serving as a foundation. Hopefully we can do it again..
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby Doc Brown on Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:34 pm

Almost that time again.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby therealdeal on Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:51 pm

:jam2: :jam2:

Who's the balding old dude?

edit- it's Kaman. :man10:
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Ariza3 on Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:03 pm

they did say it would take a few years to recover from the cp3 thing. id say mitch did pretty well considering everything. obviously there were some players i thought we should have showed interest in but i like our bench and i really just want to watch kobe play honestly. what he does is unreal and no matter whos around him the lakers always have a chance which is more than you can say for alot of teams.

farmar young johnson williams kaman and henry are all solid signings. healthy kobe out for vengeance, 100% nash meshing with new young players and pau, meeks and blake hitting their 3's, hill grabbing every board without getting hurt, healthy motivate pau back at the center like the championship runs, full training camp...could be alot worse.
Ariza3

Postby karacha on Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:31 pm

Kaman is big.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby Battle Tested20 on Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:49 pm

Doc Brown wrote:Image

Almost that time again.

I'm beyond anxious at this point. Training Camp is less than a month away :jam2:
Battle Tested20

Postby Ras Algethi on Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:53 pm

Almost that time again.

Looks like NIck is wearing Kobe 8s and Young is wearing what I think are the original Adidas Kobes?
The most important image ever taken in 3D.
Ras Algethi
CL Global Moderator

Postby Barnstable on Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:13 pm

Getting excited to see Lakers basketball again.

I have no expectations for a ton of success this season so I'm kind of looking forward to just kicking back, watching what's new, and enjoying it for what it is.
"league getting mitch-slapped"
Barnstable
CL Global Moderator

Postby Battle Tested20 on Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:19 pm

Shawne Williams getting some work in.

I really hope and believe he makes the team. I always believe that he could be an unlikely great player for us this year. He looks good just from this picture, even though time will tell whether this is true or not.

Battle Tested20

Postby therealdeal on Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:52 pm

Barnstable wrote:Getting excited to see Lakers basketball again.

I have no expectations for a ton of success this season so I'm kind of looking forward to just kicking back, watching what's new, and enjoying it for what it is.

The cool thing is that I think we're going to have a pretty exciting team this season. The young guys are going to make this season very different.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby jlkr on Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:49 am

I'm looking for the feel of the fun teams that featured Threatt, Van Exel, Divac, Ceballos and Campbell.

No real expectations, be shocked if they not only made the playoffs, they made noise there before going down. Championship contender? Somebody's smoking something... For me, it's gonna be maybe the first season since the Threatt/Van Exel days that I've expected so little from the team.

I do remember that MDA once led a team with Nash and a bunch of no names to the WCF. Could MDA resurrect that magic touch?
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

--Robert Frost
jlkr

Postby therealdeal on Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:24 am

jlkr wrote:I'm looking for the feel of the fun teams that featured Threatt, Van Exel, Divac, Ceballos and Campbell.

No real expectations, be shocked if they not only made the playoffs, they made noise there before going down. Championship contender? Somebody's smoking something... For me, it's gonna be maybe the first season since the Threatt/Van Exel days that I've expected so little from the team.

I do remember that MDA once led a team with Nash and a bunch of no names to the WCF. Could MDA resurrect that magic touch?

I would be surprised if we didn't make the playoffs, honestly. I know Kobe's not 100% and Pau is about 2 years from retirement, but I think we're going to see the brand of basketball that D'Antoni loved in Phoenix when Nash won back-to-back MVPs.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby nthydro on Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:44 am

Ras Algethi wrote:

Almost that time again.

Looks like NIck is wearing Kobe 8s and Young is wearing what I think are the original Adidas Kobes?

What? :man3:
nthydro

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion