The Optimistic Thread! (TRD's FREEDOM THREAD!)

Re: The Optimistic Thread! (TRD's FREEDOM THREAD!)

Postby nthydro on Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:52 am

therealdeal wrote:
jlkr wrote:I'm looking for the feel of the fun teams that featured Threatt, Van Exel, Divac, Ceballos and Campbell.

No real expectations, be shocked if they not only made the playoffs, they made noise there before going down. Championship contender? Somebody's smoking something... For me, it's gonna be maybe the first season since the Threatt/Van Exel days that I've expected so little from the team.

I do remember that MDA once led a team with Nash and a bunch of no names to the WCF. Could MDA resurrect that magic touch?

I would be surprised if we didn't make the playoffs, honestly. I know Kobe's not 100% and Pau is about 2 years from retirement, but I think we're going to see the brand of basketball that D'Antoni loved in Phoenix when Nash won back-to-back MVPs.

I think depending on how Kobe, Pau and Nash comes back, we have enough to be a 6th or 7th seed. And I'm hoping we get Houston in the first round. Beating them in the playoffs would be oh so sweet.
nthydro

Postby therealdeal on Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:06 pm

nthydro wrote:
therealdeal wrote:
jlkr wrote:I'm looking for the feel of the fun teams that featured Threatt, Van Exel, Divac, Ceballos and Campbell.

No real expectations, be shocked if they not only made the playoffs, they made noise there before going down. Championship contender? Somebody's smoking something... For me, it's gonna be maybe the first season since the Threatt/Van Exel days that I've expected so little from the team.

I do remember that MDA once led a team with Nash and a bunch of no names to the WCF. Could MDA resurrect that magic touch?

I would be surprised if we didn't make the playoffs, honestly. I know Kobe's not 100% and Pau is about 2 years from retirement, but I think we're going to see the brand of basketball that D'Antoni loved in Phoenix when Nash won back-to-back MVPs.

I think depending on how Kobe, Pau and Nash comes back, we have enough to be a 6th or 7th seed. And I'm hoping we get Houston in the first round. Beating them in the playoffs would be oh so sweet.

Agreed. Obviously if Nash misses much time and Pau and Kobe can't come back fully healthy early in the season then we're talking about a whole different outcome this year, but given some luck we should make the playoffs.

Knocking out Houston would be just amazing. I'm really hoping the Lakers NEVER let Howard live down his f***ing idiotic decision. I'm hoping he's made into a clown (which by the way is becoming pretty true).
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby jlkr on Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:18 pm

therealdeal wrote:
nthydro wrote:
therealdeal wrote:

Agreed. Obviously if Nash misses much time and Pau and Kobe can't come back fully healthy early in the season then we're talking about a whole different outcome this year, but given some luck we should make the playoffs.

Knocking out Houston would be just amazing. I'm really hoping the Lakers NEVER let Howard live down his f***ing idiotic decision. I'm hoping he's made into a clown (which by the way is becoming pretty true).

Health is the big deal when the most important players are the old guys. If one or more of them go down for extended periods, there's not enough talent among the young guys to make up for it.

We're counting on all of the over 30 guys to stay healthy, that's their best chance to make a playoff run. My expectations in this regard are dang low. Nash, Bryant, Gasol: they're talented but they're also old and old players are more susceptible to injury, that's just all there is to that. I suspect Nash might be done and he could be just deceiving himself and all of us at this point. Kobe's making a valiant effort to get back, but we have no idea whether the injury will have taken the edge off his game. Gasol's heart is finally in the right place now that the pretenders are gone, but his knees aren't getting younger. Plus Blake, Hill and Kaman have suffered through recent injuries. So we're talking about 6 of the top guys in the rotation and hoping they all stay healthy this year ... really keep your fingers crossed and your expectations low. I'll be watching MDA's minutes management for these guys, among other things.
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

--Robert Frost
jlkr

Postby nthydro on Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:14 pm

jlkr wrote:
therealdeal wrote:
nthydro wrote:
therealdeal wrote:

Health is the big deal when the most important players are the old guys. If one or more of them go down for extended periods, there's not enough talent among the young guys to make up for it.

We're counting on all of the over 30 guys to stay healthy, that's their best chance to make a playoff run. My expectations in this regard are dang low. Nash, Bryant, Gasol: they're talented but they're also old and old players are more susceptible to injury, that's just all there is to that. I suspect Nash might be done and he could be just deceiving himself and all of us at this point. Kobe's making a valiant effort to get back, but we have no idea whether the injury will have taken the edge off his game. Gasol's heart is finally in the right place now that the pretenders are gone, but his knees aren't getting younger. Plus Blake, Hill and Kaman have suffered through recent injuries. So we're talking about 6 of the top guys in the rotation and hoping they all stay healthy this year ... really keep your fingers crossed and your expectations low. I'll be watching MDA's minutes management for these guys, among other things.

Mr. pessimistic, party of one, your table is ready :man10:

but yeah I know what you mean...hope for the best, prepare for the worst.
nthydro

Postby LooN3y on Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:37 pm

WE"RE GONNA TAKE IT ALL!

nah, but really I'd really hope this team reaches the conference finals, i still believe they can, it won't be easy though
LooN3y

Postby Center Court on Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:39 pm

LooN3y wrote:WE"RE GONNA TAKE IT ALL!

nah, but really I'd really hope this team reaches the conference finals, i still believe they can, it won't be easy though

thats LooN3y :man1:
Center Court

Postby Doc Brown on Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:38 am

Looking like most of our guys are here before training camp starts. Very nice.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby lakerfan2 on Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:42 am

Even a cleaned up Caveman. Players who want to play, and fight for spots and compete.

That's all we can ask for this season.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby therealdeal on Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:40 pm

Are they running 4 on 5? I can only see 4 guys in black.

Green: Nash/Meeks/Young/Sacre/Xavier(?)
Black: Kaman/Blake/Wesley/Shawne Williams(?)
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:43 pm

It's even clear from reports and tweets that our players have been working out, practicing together, really trying to become a team or make the team for a little while now. To me that's a good sign of at least guys want to be here, get some chemistry going, put in work for this season. I'm already liking this team better than last season's team from a personality and effort standpoint. I know little about Kaman as a player in recent years for example, but the guy already has me rooting for him because he's putting in work.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby MadMax on Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:11 pm

I am truly excited to watch the Lakers again...that's something to be optimistic about.
MadMax

Postby Doc Brown on Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:14 pm

therealdeal wrote:Are they running 4 on 5? I can only see 4 guys in black.

If you look closely there are feet behind Meeks and next to Kaman. Those feet are contained in Kobe 8's.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby therealdeal on Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:49 pm

Doc Brown wrote:
therealdeal wrote:Are they running 4 on 5? I can only see 4 guys in black.

If you look closely there are feet behind Meeks and next to Kaman. Those feet are contained in Kobe 8's.

Oh yeah, I see them.

Farmar then? :man10: Who is small enough to hide behind Meeks?
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby karacha on Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:25 pm

Farmar.

Everyone is there, except Kobe and Gasol. Guys working hard already, and I love it!
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby GoldenKnight on Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:20 pm

Last year's team was terrible to watch. Although I don't expect a championship from this team, of course, I do expect them to be a fun team who puts it all out on the floor...that's all I can ask for I just want to see some effort, no damn complaining I had enough of that from the clown last year.

CHECK OUT MY DESIGNS ON FB/INSTAGRAM/TWITTER: @GoldenKnightGFX
GoldenKnight

Postby dj vitus on Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:10 am

I'm optimistic that this team will fight and fight, and their sheer willpower will result in a lot of close games that otherwise looked like blowout losses on paper.

As far as WINNING those games, well, we'll have to see about that. We always have Kobe or Gasol, and guys like Farmar and Young probably aren't afraid to take a last-second 3, either.
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
dj vitus

Postby ShowTime_IR on Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:43 pm

Don't you just feel something special is about to happen this season about this team?
It's like the "iv'e got something to prove" season.
MDA - after like 6 bad seasons to prove he's a good coach.
Nash - to prove that even at age 39 he's one of the best PG of all time.
Gasol - proving that he's decline in past years was a fluke.
Young - to prove he's something worth watching in this league.
Kaman - to prove he can play at the same level he was 2 years ago.

with the good reviews about Wesley Johnson, Williams and Farmer.
with Jordan Hill practicing he's jump shot.

and of course,
Kobe with a good vibe about himself. about he's recovery. smiling alot. like he know's something we still don't. like he's got a plan that is about to unfold.

Kobe has to prove he's one of the greatest stories in NBA's basketball history.
ShowTime_IR

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:06 pm

^thats optimism right there :bow:
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby Lakerjones on Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:47 pm

ShowTime_IR wrote:Don't you just feel something special is about to happen this season about this team?
It's like the "iv'e got something to prove" season.
MDA - after like 6 bad seasons to prove he's a good coach.
Nash - to prove that even at age 39 he's one of the best PG of all time.
Gasol - proving that he's decline in past years was a fluke.
Young - to prove he's something worth watching in this league.
Kaman - to prove he can play at the same level he was 2 years ago.

with the good reviews about Wesley Johnson, Williams and Farmer.
with Jordan Hill practicing he's jump shot.

and of course,
Kobe with a good vibe about himself. about he's recovery. smiling alot. like he know's something we still don't. like he's got a plan that is about to unfold.

Kobe has to prove he's one of the greatest stories in NBA's basketball history.

I will bite my tongue out of respect for the realdeal and his thread. But no, I do not honestly feel like something special is about to happen to this team this season at all.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby Ras Algethi on Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:32 pm

After 1st half of game 1 preseason.

Like others have said, this team looks so more fun to watch than last year - and we haven't even seen Kobe/Pau/Nash out there.

Xavier looks promising. He can create his own shot a bit, is athletic, can slash, and a solid defender.

Farmer pg skills look great, as does Blake's.

Young gives us someone we desperately have needed the past few years - someone who can create their own shot and is a threat from anywhere on the court.

Kaman's offense looks good. Then again, anybody's offense looks good coming from Dwight.

Wesly has some bright spots but not much to judge yet.

My concerns thought are our rebounding.
The most important image ever taken in 3D.
Ras Algethi
CL Global Moderator

Postby karacha on Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:33 pm

I am optimistic. This team is better then last year's team. And that's without Kobe, Pau and Nash.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:43 pm

Mike Trudell ‏@LakersReporter 1m
Final: LAL 104, GSW 95. Warriors played all their starters in the 1st half, LAL were sans Gasol/Nash/Kobe.
Expand

They also played Thompson/Speights/Douglas a lot in the second half. Good to see our team sans the big 3, get the W and look good doing it in the process.
Doc Brown

Postby crampledkid on Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:04 pm

heart
crampledkid

Postby Weezy on Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:06 pm

As expected, it was fun to watch. Henry put on a show, Farmar looked better than ever, and the end of our bench won the game while the Warriors still had key players out there. And hey, we won a preseason game, already an improvement from last season. I also thought Kaman was solid, Young looked good, Williams looks like he could be a decent bench player with length and shooting, and even Sacre looked a little bit improved.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby GoldenKnight on Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:11 pm

Already a better team than last season record-wise in the pre-season :man9:

But honestly, the trust, focus, chemistry, hustle, all really showed & it can only improve as time goes by with guys like Kobe/Nash/Pau showing leadership on the court...

I'm excited! :jam2:

CHECK OUT MY DESIGNS ON FB/INSTAGRAM/TWITTER: @GoldenKnightGFX
GoldenKnight

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion