The Optimistic Thread! (TRD's FREEDOM THREAD!)

Re: The Optimistic Thread! (TRD's FREEDOM THREAD!)

Postby Doc Brown on Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:11 am

The Lakers’ locker room is a very different place already. Half the team wasn’t here last season. Those who remain seem as if they’ve tried to expel last season from their memories.

“Last year,” (Jordan) Hill said, “was awful.”

And this year?
“Totally different,” he said. “It’s a fun team. Everybody’s clicking. There’s no negativity.”
via Ramona Shelburne of ESPN Los Angeles

Good riddance Dwightmare.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby karacha on Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:29 am

Damn, everyone seems to be happy that Dwight is gone. Even people who have not played with him -- for example, Kaman who also blasted Howard in his training camp interview, without even mentioning his name. Ouch.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby LTLakerFan on Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:53 pm

Have to read above all the warm fuzzy things that must have been said here since our opening game preseason win, but I just popped in to state the obvious..... our Defense was encouraging, even "swarming" at times last night and shows lots of effort. Props to Dan for allowing the time to be put in and props to Rambis and Madsen and whoever else is working their butts off!

:jam2: :jam2: :jam2:
LTLakerFan

Postby LTLakerFan on Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:00 pm

karacha wrote:Damn, everyone seems to be happy that Dwight is gone. Even people who have not played with him -- for example, Kaman who also blasted Howard in his training camp interview, without even mentioning his name. Ouch.

What did he say, oh please? Don't want to go have to watch. I didn't watch any of them to tell the truth. Show us! And they are.... so far. Can't wait to see Nash and Gasol tonight playing with some speedy talent around them.
LTLakerFan

Postby karacha on Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:17 pm

He said that the chemistry is much better now; "I've heard last year was, uh... pretty bad in the locker room."

Something along those lines anyway. And I'm sure it wasn't Earl Clark who made the atmosphere bad.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:07 pm

karacha wrote:He said that the chemistry is much better now; "I've heard last year was, uh... pretty bad in the locker room."

Something along those lines anyway. And I'm sure it wasn't Earl Clark who made the atmosphere bad.

:man10: Or Antawn Jamison either.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:36 pm

I may be wrong in saying this or speaking way too soon, and I certainly don't think we're a great team, but the way I'm seeing it we are a better OVERALL team than last season, or deeper I guess you could say. What all did we really lose? Howard, MWP, Morris, Duhon, Clark, Jamison. I'd say we improved, or at least got no worse, at every position this season except Center

Farmar > Morris, Duhon
Young/Henry > Meeks/Morris (yes, I think Henry is better than Morris based off 1 1/2 games)
Johnson/Young/Harris> or = aging MWP/Ebanks?
healthy Hill/Williams > or at least = Clark, aging Jamison

but of course Howard > Pau/Kaman for defense, rim protection, rebounding

I don't expect us to be better (and if we are, not by much, and certainly not much worse) than last season, at least a far as win/loss record goes, or to win anything significant, but I do like all the youth, athleticism, scoring ability and shooting we've added. Basically last season we had pretty much no bench, now we have a decent one IMO .
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby GoldenKnight on Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:54 pm

I definitely expect us to be better than last season, chemistry & heart go a long way.

CHECK OUT MY DESIGNS ON FB/INSTAGRAM/TWITTER: @GoldenKnightGFX
GoldenKnight

Postby GNC on Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:59 pm

I know it is only two games into preseason.. but I am really enjoying the young talent we have off the bench. :jam2:
GNC

Postby lakerfan2 on Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:45 am

Funny thing is, I actually trust Kaman more with the ball on offense than Dwight.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby Finwë on Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:36 am

Couldn't catch either game, but I like what I've read so far.

Also, I agree 100% with Golden Knight, we should be a better team this year if everyone's healthy.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby Jazzygirl205 on Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:07 pm

I didn't see the games but seen the scores on the site, and judging by the comments it seems like brighter times ahead compared to last season. Can't wait until the season officially starts.
Jazzygirl205

Postby GoldenKnight on Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:34 am

Well we beat the Warriors in my opinion, we were up 11 before taking everyone out and them putting everyone in :man10: I like the positives from this game the outcome means nothing considering the 3rd string playing vs the Warriors starters

CHECK OUT MY DESIGNS ON FB/INSTAGRAM/TWITTER: @GoldenKnightGFX
GoldenKnight

Postby therealdeal on Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:54 am

GoldenKnight wrote:Well we beat the Warriors in my opinion, we were up 11 before taking everyone out and them putting everyone in :man10: I like the positives from this game the outcome means nothing considering the 3rd string playing vs the Warriors starters

This.

We packed it in for the last quarter and the Warriors wanted to win the game. If we play Nash, Gasol, Farmar, or any of our players who will likely make the team in the 4th quarter we probably win that game.

The Warriors should be concerned and the Lakers should be really happy with what they did today/tonight(?).
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:13 pm

I was encouraged by what I saw this last game for 3 quarters minus Blake and Meeks; This was without Farmar who will be playing most of the minutes at the backup SG and is up an upgrade over Blake. I liked the way we hustled, the defense looked improved with rotations, everybody knowing their responsibility of where to be, and the offense looked smooth. Still some kinks to work out, but I believe this team is going to surprise a lot of people...
dwighthowardsdad

Postby raviator on Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:06 pm

So we only lost by five? With camp invites playing against their starters in the fourth quarter? And they think G-state is going to be better? LOL. For sure this is very encouraging. Speaks well to how good our bench can actually be compared to last year when we barely had one.
raviator

Postby Chillbongo on Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:33 pm

Is the game on repeat, local time tonight?
Chillbongo

Postby Weezy on Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:44 pm

Chillbongo wrote:Is the game on repeat, local time tonight?

Yes, 8 PM TWCSN.

For a positive comment, I'm pleased with 'Antoni playing the bench pretty much the same amount of time in all the games. He doesn't put Nash, Pau, Young, and Kaman out there to try and win a meaningless game, yet at he same time he's still coaching to win the games with the players he has out there. I don't see a losing mentality being built like under Mike Brown, our team knew they had that game won if Mark Jackson didn't treat it like a playoff game.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Chillbongo on Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:48 pm

^ Nice. Deuces on that comment Weeze. This is the time to audition players for their skill sets, try different lineups, and see how they matchup against different opponents. My optimism: I hope our young legs can help us defensively this season.
Chillbongo

Postby karacha on Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:56 pm

lakerfan2 wrote:Funny thing is, I actually trust Kaman more with the ball on offense than Dwight.

Well, that's not exactly surprising. Kaman is a far superior offensive player, because he's not very athletic, yet his game is polished, and he has a variety of go-to moves: hooks, back to the basket, and mid-range Js.

Dwight is a superior athlete, better finisher on lobs, better finisher on extra opportunities (after getting a rebound), and far superior defender.

But yeah, offensively they don't compare. Kaman is more similar to Gasol on the offensive end. Dwight's game is totally different. You take away his favorite move -- the dunk -- and that's pretty much it. Fortunately for Dwight, he's a relatively skilled passer, so he can at least get rid of the ball when he can't score. If he does not get stripped first.

Kaman would probably be a decent big even at 37 years old. Slow, but effective for, say, 10-15 minutes. Dwight... I'm not so sure. Without the lift he can't do much, because his hooks are flat and his J does not exist. Yet, Duncan is still effective, although he's not fast or quick, and he can't jump that well anymore. He has great fundamentals though. Kaman is like that -- minus the defense. :man5:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby gcclaker on Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:05 pm

To think this crew will be more "fun" than last season's is ironic if we were to take into account the comment from That Guy That Left.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:30 am

gcclaker wrote:To think this crew will be more "fun" than last season's is ironic if we were to take into account the comment from That Guy That Left.

Good point. :man10:

I wonder if he'd have more fun this season with characters like Young and Farmar on the team.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby raviator on Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:20 pm

Bench played very well tonight. I am liking what I see. Let's see if they can keep this up going into the season.
raviator

Postby LooN3y on Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:12 pm

karacha wrote:
lakerfan2 wrote:Funny thing is, I actually trust Kaman more with the ball on offense than Dwight.

Well, that's not exactly surprising. Kaman is a far superior offensive player, because he's not very athletic, yet his game is polished, and he has a variety of go-to moves: hooks, back to the basket, and mid-range Js.

Dwight is a superior athlete, better finisher on lobs, better finisher on extra opportunities (after getting a rebound), and far superior defender.

But yeah, offensively they don't compare. Kaman is more similar to Gasol on the offensive end. Dwight's game is totally different. You take away his favorite move -- the dunk -- and that's pretty much it. Fortunately for Dwight, he's a relatively skilled passer, so he can at least get rid of the ball when he can't score. If he does not get stripped first.

Kaman would probably be a decent big even at 37 years old. Slow, but effective for, say, 10-15 minutes. Dwight... I'm not so sure. Without the lift he can't do much, because his hooks are flat and his J does not exist. Yet, Duncan is still effective, although he's not fast or quick, and he can't jump that well anymore. He has great fundamentals though. Kaman is like that -- minus the defense. :man5:

dwights just an over hyped one dimensional (defensive) that gets the offense ran through him because hes marketable.

his point averages arnt even that great, but he wouldnt even been close to getting there if it wasnt for him being baby fed the ball everytime. any NBA caliber player is going to average 18.3 PPG if they've been the first option for 10 years.

i really hope dwight breaks something severe, i dont even feel bad, hes a damn multimillionaire driving super cars, living in a huge mansion, eating the best foods in the world. and YET STILL COMPLAINS, I really hope HE Injures himself and has to retire, who cares? hes still gonna be living off his millions, can anyone really be sad for him?

this guy really doesnt deserve to be in the league. hes a classless as the clippers. its not like anyones gonna miss seeing his "game", only thing ill partially miss is maybe his alleyoops, anything else, garbage.

period.
LooN3y

Postby Finwë on Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:59 pm

This team is FUN
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion