The Optimistic Thread! (TRD's FREEDOM THREAD!)

Re: The Optimistic Thread! (TRD's FREEDOM THREAD!)

Postby Weezy on Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:05 am

We have the same record as the Heat so far. :man10:
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby MC on Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:07 am

I'm optimistic about the fact we are 1 day closer to MDA getting canned

:man10:
"If the wolf is the strength of the pack, the pack is the strength of the wolf"
MC

Postby Bilbao-LakerMagic on Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:13 am

I am not optimistic about this Season unless... a great trade.

I like the upgrades of Nick Young, Wesley Johnson or Xavier Henry... to help, but not to be contenders. They are great complements if you get great players (we need at least 2) around the Team.

All we know that LeBron, Durant or Wiggins are dreams (nice dreams), and Melo is maybe a lower step of them (but still a great player).

I am thinking of realistic acquisitions: Greg Monroe (Detroit has Drummond), Bledsoe or Melo... but for 2014/15 Season...

If Pau accepts a lower contract, and nothing to say about Kobe, he will be a Laker for life... I hope! You can have a very good Team... but maybe one year later.

I would love to trade Steve Blake...

Something like this sounds realistic to me:

Eric Bledsoe/Steve Nash/Jordan Farmar
Kobe Bryant/Jodie Meeks/Xavier Henry
Carmelo Anthony/Nick Young/Wesley Johnson
Pau Gasol/Jordan Hill
Greg Monroe/Chris Kaman

Perhaps 2 or 3 of the bench players are not able to be renewed at a cheap price... but even without 3 of them bench players... you would have a very good team. Even Gasol is difficult to renew at a right price... let's see.

Go Lakers !!
Bilbao-LakerMagic

Postby Toklat on Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:23 am

A great trade would be good but I think we can have a good year if we just get the starting unit fixed and rotations down. I want to see Gasol, Hill, Johnson, Farmar and X start. Hill doesn't have to start as long as he gets 30 plus a game. I also like two subs at a time, three at the most.
Toklat

Postby Snakell Beast on Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:05 pm

If we play our bigger players more, it will help our defense and rebounding. We need to slow the game down and value every possession. That is the formula where we can be a mid seed...we easily hung with the Clips and Spurs (even with many wasted possessions and bone head plays that can be cleaned up) by slowing the game down and getting into a set offense/defense...

Antoni keeps trying to force his stupid small ball on this roster, but it just isn't working. The main issue is that we don't have the knock down shooters or ball handlers to push pace, and we don't have the lateral quickness, or rotational fundamentals/chemistry, to defend at a higher pace.

Use Sacre, Harris and Kelly more and use Wes Johnson and Shawne Williams at the 3, with Young and Henry at the 2 and Farmar/Meeks at the 1. Then we are a very big team that can defend and rebound. F*#@ this small ball ISH.

PS - Cut Nash with stretch provision and sign Shannon Brown. That way the only old, slow players we have left are 4 of our most proven, fundamentally sound and skilled players in Kobe, Gasol and Kaman...well, and Blake, who is (sadly) the best we can do at this point after Farmar.

With Kobe HURT
PG: Farmar / Meeks / Blake
SG: Henry / Brown / Young / [Kobe]
SF: Johnson / Williams
PF: Hill / Harris / Kelly
CE: Gasol / Kaman / Sacre

With Kobe Healthy
PG: Farmar / Meeks / Blake
SG: Kobe / Brown / Young
SF: Henry / Johnson / Williams
CE: Gasol / Kaman / Sacre

Some explanations here. Nick Young has been atrocious so far this regular season. He is a 7 PER right now, definitely want to limit his minutes as much as possible. I would cut him, but he is better than anything out there right now. Meeks plays before Blake because Meeks can make his shots, and Blake simply cannot. We can always play Blake if Meeks falls back to last year's doldrums, but there is NO reason to EVER play Meeks OR Blake at the 2 with our size/youth/athleticism at wing on this roster.

Gasol and Hill are BY FAR our best defensive front court players, and Kaman has found a nice niche as a back-up center on this team. Play Harris (for his hustle and defense) to replace Shawne Williams and Wesley Johnson's failed experiment at the 4 position, and also mitigate minutes at the 4 with either Gasol or Kelly, and we have a big, rebounding front court that won't get pushed around very often.

Henry is just the kind of driving, athletic ball handler we need at the 3 position with the starters. He is figuring it out game by game and he will benefit a great deal playing next to Kobe and the starters once the Mamba Vino comes back. Dumping Nash just makes sense at this point. With a 2.1 PER and a +/- of -3, he is simply NOT worth a roster spot anymore.

Besides, we have 2 new 50/40/90 players now...Gasol and MEEKS???? What's funny is Gasol is 50% on THREES, and 46% FG 90% FT...:man4: Seriously, I know its 3 games, but Meeks PER right now is 18.8...gotta admit that he is ballin' at the moment. Umm, with a higher PER than Gasol, shouldn't Kaman be getting more than 13 MINUTES??? He's shooting 54%, grabbing 5 boards and averaging .7 blocks in 16 minutes for funk sake. Well, these are my thoughts right now...
The End is nigh. Time for a total Cut and Shuffle. Kobe contract was a mistake...time to avoid making more. The future is here, whether we want it to be or not. An era is over, but for the death rattle, and it's time for the cycle to begin anew. Growth and change are scary and painful, but alas...nothing worth achieving comes easily.
Snakell Beast

Postby therealdeal on Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:24 pm

We beat the Clippers, got blown out back-to-back against the Warriors, and BARELY lost to the Spurs.

Seriously not bad at all.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:50 pm

We just need to keep it around five-hundred until Kobe gets back.

With Kobe, and maybe a small trade tweak at the all-star break for a non-geriatric pg, and we might end up 5-8 games above .500.
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:15 pm

OK, first, I find it amazing how so many swore this team was going to get murdered in our early games. We played 3 playoff teams that had better records than we did last year. We blew out the first, got blown out by the second and battled neck and neck in a loss to the third. We are 1-2 against quality opposition. In 1 game we did nothing right (GS) and in another we did nothing wrong (LAC). The last game we didn't close the game and the vet team (SAS) did. My optimism has not changed because this team has a lot of room for growth. I believe early on we will go as X goes plain and simple. The bench has to show up for this team to be successful. As they play more in meaningful games they will mesh and make it happen. I'm hyped about these boys.
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby Chillbongo on Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:34 pm

therealdeal wrote:We beat the Clippers, got blown out back-to-back against the Warriors, and BARELY lost to the Spurs.

Without Kobe.

We make our free throws, Nash and Blake hit ONE more of their jumpers, and we're 2-1.

Damn right I'm optimistic.
Chillbongo

Postby Snakell Beast on Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:50 pm

I am somewhat optimistic that Henry is getting a chance at the 2, but Johnson, Hill and Farmar should be getting the starting nod at the other 3 spots right now.

RED = INACTIVE

PG: Farmar / Blake / Nash
SG: Henry / Meeks / Kobe
SF: Johnson / Williams / Young
C: Gasol / Kaman / Sacre
The End is nigh. Time for a total Cut and Shuffle. Kobe contract was a mistake...time to avoid making more. The future is here, whether we want it to be or not. An era is over, but for the death rattle, and it's time for the cycle to begin anew. Growth and change are scary and painful, but alas...nothing worth achieving comes easily.
Snakell Beast

Postby GoldenKnight on Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:18 pm

Let's get this back to .500 :jam2: young team who everyone expected to get absolutely killed by all 3 teams only got killed by one & it was the first back2back/road game of the year! We could have easily won vs the Spurs it really was our game there, but this is where the young players will learn & I'd rather have this now than later.

CHECK OUT MY DESIGNS ON FB/INSTAGRAM/TWITTER: @GoldenKnightGFX
GoldenKnight

Postby Snakell Beast on Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:35 pm

GoldenKnight wrote:Let's get this back to .500 :jam2:

Funk that, let's get to 4-2 :man1:
Snakell Beast

Postby karacha on Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:25 pm

Weezy wrote:We have the same record as the Heat so far. :man10:

Championship.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby karacha on Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:03 pm

Here is something: I expected us to be 1-3, and we're actually at .500.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:24 am

karacha wrote:Here is something: I expected us to be 1-3, and we're actually at .500.

Exactly. Who had us winning ANY games in the first 3? We came out with one and really almost had 2...

We could easily be 3-1 right now. Everyone this season said we'd be lucky to win 30 games. We're on track for much better and I think most fans expect better now even if they haven't thought about it.

In fact, so many fans expect better that they're simply skipping the step of enjoying that we're better than expected and going directly to expecting more. :man10:

Step back Laker fans and look at it from afar. It's great. We're a better team than you thought we were. In fact, if this team keeps playing well we're a playoff team not a 35 win team.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby gcclaker on Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:56 am

therealdeal wrote:Exactly. Who had us winning ANY games in the first 3? We came out with one and really almost had 2...

We could easily be 3-1 right now. Everyone this season said we'd be lucky to win 30 games. We're on track for much better and I think most fans expect better now even if they haven't thought about it.

In fact, so many fans expect better that they're simply skipping the step of enjoying that we're better than expected and going directly to expecting more. :man10:

Step back Laker fans and look at it from afar. It's great. We're a better team than you thought we were. In fact, if this team keeps playing well we're a playoff team not a 35 win team.

Not me. I expected the squad to be competitive based on pride, hunger and the youngins' not knowing any better. The Clipper victory was unexpected, the Warrior blowout afterwards was expected, the Spurs loss was disappointing considering it was there to be had. Last night's win was good in a sense that they took care of an opponent they are supposed to beat style points aside.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:14 am

gcclaker wrote:
therealdeal wrote:Exactly. Who had us winning ANY games in the first 3? We came out with one and really almost had 2...

Not me. I expected the squad to be competitive based on pride, hunger and the youngins' not knowing any better. The Clipper victory was unexpected, the Warrior blowout afterwards was expected, the Spurs loss was disappointing considering it was there to be had. Last night's win was good in a sense that they took care of an opponent they are supposed to beat style points aside.

I maintain the Spurs game wasn't disappointing for me because we shouldn't have really even been close. We somehow came REALLY close to beating them. The Western Conference champs.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby pound4pound1 on Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:22 am

besides the Warriors game, this team has entertained me each game
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby DarthRekal on Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:58 am

im happy with every victory this year.. its one thing to "SUPPOSED" to be good and have crappy games and record and effort... its quite refreshing to be "CRAPPY" and put up good effort and steal some wins .. and the crappy games dont hurt anymore
Lakers Motto: HOF Guards, We MAKE 'Em... HOF Centers, We TAKE 'Em
DarthRekal
Cookie Monster

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:12 pm

at least we have the highest scoring bench in the nba
CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby Doc Brown on Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:02 am

There is a great chance Nash/Blake/Pau won't be on the team next year. :jam2:
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Toklat on Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:40 am

Despite how bad the slow team played and how far behind they were, the fast team came in and almost got us back in other than some great 3 pt shooting from Dallas. Farmar has got to be in the game to keep the pace up or our athletic guys are wasted.
Toklat

Postby therealdeal on Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:13 am

Not a whole lot to be optimistic about following the Dallas game. I guess it's nice that we're not playing in that game anymore. :man10:
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby pound4pound1 on Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:03 am

the game ended

not all our games are on the road

that's all i got
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby dj vitus on Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:04 pm

Maybe we'll see Kaman stuff Dwight tomorrow.
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
dj vitus

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion