The Optimistic Thread! (TRD's FREEDOM THREAD!)

Re: The Optimistic Thread! (TRD's FREEDOM THREAD!)

Postby lakersyunowin on Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:38 pm

Battle Tested20 wrote:Backstage Lakers - Kobe and Lakers Celebrates Thanksgiving!

damn, the chemistry is sure impressive with this group of guys. I love this team... Kobe is just too funny and competitive. I love the game that Kobe plays with the football. Pretty cool

And Pau, the ping pong master, :man10: that reach is insane.

hahaha awesome, they look like they genuinely had some good times. and man, pau is a beast at ping pong.
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby Scnottaken on Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:34 pm

:man2: Such a terrible teammate!
I want to hear "Beat LA" chants at a Clipper vs Laker game
Scnottaken

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:56 pm

lmao: Kobe, "grass fed catfish" :man10:
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby LTLakerFan on Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:02 pm

lakersyunowin wrote:
Battle Tested20 wrote:Backstage Lakers - Kobe and Lakers Celebrates Thanksgiving!

damn, the chemistry is sure impressive with this group of guys. I love this team... Kobe is just too funny and competitive. I love the game that Kobe plays with the football. Pretty cool

And Pau, the ping pong master, :man10: that reach is insane.

hahaha awesome, they look like they genuinely had some good times. and man, pau is a beast at ping pong.

Finally watched this. WOW…. Pau with the POWER game :man4:
LTLakerFan

Postby Weezy on Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:00 am

The defense we played in the 4th tonight, that was amazing. That's the best defense I've seen this team play this season. Steals, blocks, hustle, guys were swarming everywhere, it was a thing of beauty, we forced like 9 turnovers in the 4th quarter. Wes Johnson was amazing on D, Blake was impressive too, really it was a great team effort.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby karacha on Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:30 am

Now, if they can bring that kind of defensive effort 3 out of 4 quarters at least... we might be onto something.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby borri on Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:17 am

Boy, I just love watching these guys play. They keep coming back when knocked down. It's like watching those Rocky movies. :jam2: :jam2: :jam2:

Easily my favorite Laker team to watch since Shaq/Kobe era. Of course Showtime was the all time best to watch play.
borri

Postby karacha on Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:06 am

Showtime had unbelievable talent too.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby SpencerHarrison on Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:22 pm

Having watched almost every game last season, and literally every game this season - It is night and day.

The speed, chemistry, confidence and excitement is radically improved. That 4th quarter in Sacramento was a beauty to watch. This team has weapons everywhere. The play may drop off, and shots might not fall, but right now we have:

Young - Shot creator and bailout option off the bench
Meeks - Knockdown shooter and part time finisher with good awareness
Williams - Long defense and can stretch the floor
Johnson - Long defense and can stretch the floor
Hill - Freakish offensive rebounding
Blake - Excellent in MDA's scheme and a big time competitor
X - Fearless to a point of being stupid. Gets to the paint and forces action.

I'll stop there. Compared to last year? The bench was non existent. No threats anywhere on the court. Old, slow, frustrated and entitled. Hack a Dwight in close games. Actually thinking Nash was a savior. Our "energy guy" was Metta World Peace. Crazy that Kobe willed them to the playoffs at all.
SpencerHarrison

Postby LTLakerFan on Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:30 pm

You know what it's like? It's like a couple years ago when Kobe was out for a stretch of 6 or so games and the rest of the team was playing really well and the Triangle was COOKING. Ball was moving and it was a gas to watch.
LTLakerFan

Postby lukewaltonsdad on Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:37 pm

Good victory on the road, nonetheless. We're getting better as a unit; I know our victories haven't been against great teams, but hey, you take who they have on your schedule and you beat the inferior opposition. That's what we're doing. There's been some progress since the beginning of the season and it's nice seeing these guys figuring out how to win games with each other.
lukewaltonsdad

Postby Chillbongo on Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:49 pm

Yeah, some wins have been against lesser teams. But I'll take these:

W vs LAC
W @ HOU
W vs GSW
W @ BKN
W @ DET

3 on the road, which were tight games down the stretch. The BKN game being a back-to-back. The other two were against arguably top 4 teams in the west. Not bad for a team of no-ones with no star in the friking western conference. 10-9.
Chillbongo

Postby Chillbongo on Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:52 pm

LTLakerFan wrote:You know what it's like? It's like a couple years ago when Kobe was out for a stretch of 6 or so games and the rest of the team was playing really well and the Triangle was COOKING. Ball was moving and it was a gas to watch.

Interesting reference. The ball does tend to move more on teams without a superstar, ball-dominant, isolation freak scorer. This team is fun to watch, but I think we can all agree Kobe coming back and hopefully making us a .500-.600 team is better, even if some of the fun in the basketball product is lost. Sometimes winning ain't pretty.
Chillbongo

Postby LTLakerFan on Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:16 pm

My money is still on Kobe trying to show he can channel Magic better than LeBron when he has players that can bring it. Plus score and score efficiently, with less wait-for-the-double-teams-to-show-off.

I think the hardest adjustment will be for Blake. Maybe he can drop back from running 2 1/2 miles a game to just 2 miles. He shouldn't have to probe as much and expend as much energy, just by knowing where Kobe is on the floor.
LTLakerFan

Postby Chillbongo on Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:26 pm

LTLakerFan wrote:My money is still on Kobe trying to show he can channel Magic better than LeBron when he has players that can bring it. Plus score and score efficiently, with less wait-for-the-double-teams-to-show-off.

Right, but what if that's for the better of the team? We shoot a ridiculous volume of 3's. The games 3's don't drop, we lose. If Kobe facilitates the O and we create a more refined version of our offense with a go-to-guy for end of shot clock, is that a bad thing? Sure some players will score less, but I know we'll win more. I love the ball this team is playing, but I'd like it even more if our record was 13-6.

It'll just be a matter of player bringing it in a more refined system, with better shot selection.Kobe will draw attention.
Chillbongo

Postby LTLakerFan on Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:21 pm

I think we are in agreement? :beer:
LTLakerFan

Postby lakersyunowin on Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:10 am

we just need some more time. kobe is looking better and better so far. he needs more time playing with the guys. farmar will eventually come back from injury.
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby Ariza3 on Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:47 am

once farmar comes back and kobe has his legs and rhythm it should look better. nash coming off the bench could be cool with the run and gun bench we have when he comes back. Blake another 10 assist game...dudes been balling at the starting PG
Ariza3

Postby trodgers on Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:38 am

Blake played better tonight.
We shot 49%, handed out 22 assists.
I think that was good news.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:20 pm

I enjoyed what I saw tonight from most of the guys. Blake did not take a backseat to Kobe nor tried to forcefeed it to Kobe. We still need to get the guys moving without the ball. Right now our biggest problem is rebounding by the big boy spaniard. All in all the team is a half-step off which is understandable with the return of Kobe.
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby karacha on Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:43 pm

I agree that the chemistry already looks better. Blake did his job and Kobe was scoring efficiently, which is something he needs to do primarily.

Our role-players did not shoot well, and our defense gets in scramble mode too easily. Which probably would not be so horrible if we had someone to protect the rim, but we don't.

I think Blake and Kobe will be fine, and when Farmar comes back it should all be good. But we'll have to hit the threes. Lots of threes. Or we will lose games. No ifs or buts about it. If that's how we play right now, and it is, then you have to create good shots and hit most of them.

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby lukewaltonsdad on Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:18 pm

^Just posted about Farmar; he makes the game easier for that 2nd unit with his ability to break down a defense...an update showed he's making progress but still 'has a long ways to go.' I think we'll get better. Kobe played more off-ball, wasn't as ball dominant, and allowed Steve to do his thing for the most part. We're still early in the season...let's give it time.
lukewaltonsdad

Postby Lakerjones on Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:47 pm

It's a good draft?
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby noobiew on Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:29 pm

^ Yes .. Andrew Wiggins, Jabari Parker, Julius Randle, Joel Embiid, Marcus Smart, Dante Exum, Aaron Gordon etc

Hopefully can get one of them next year and lock them long term on a 5 year rookie deal. :man9:
Michael Jordan : "My Chicago team are the all-time greatest"
Magic Johnson : "Put me with Kareem, James Worthy, Cooper and Byron Scott, and we'd dominate your Bulls team"
noobiew

Postby wcsoldier81 on Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:33 pm

yeah a 10th-12th pick in this year draft is going to be more valuable than a meaningless 1st round exit ... maybe we'll get a pleasant surprise from the lottery results :man10:
wcsoldier81

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion