The Optimistic Thread! (TRD's FREEDOM THREAD!)

Re: The Optimistic Thread! (TRD's FREEDOM THREAD!)

Postby karacha on Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:12 pm

That was back when we were good. Now that we suck, we'll extend our streak to 3 easily.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:58 pm

Two game win streak! Always a good thing! We're playing a truly awful team next and I think it'll be a big game from Dwight.

Three in a row! Here we come!
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby LakerFan1235 on Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:49 am

going to the game vs. bobcats and will hopefully watch them start their biggest winstreak of the season (that's sad to say) :jam2:
Every time I begin to ask, "Is he really as great as I think he is?" ...He proves that he is.
Every time I begin to wonder...He proves it...That is why I won't lose hope in him.
You know who I am talking about.
LakerFan1235

Postby jOeyB7000 on Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:03 am

I just noticed D12 hit all his free throws today.

100% from the line! :man1:
jOeyB7000

Postby jOeyB7000 on Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:07 am

Jellincon wrote:
jOeyB7000 wrote:^ haha wow well that made me look dumb.

It seems like we always lose to them.

The Lakers are 7-8 against the Bobcats. Surprisingly we're on a 2 game winning streak against them.

Well since this is the optimistic thread, here's to hoping that we extend our winning streak vs the bobcats to 4 this year and we finally get on the winning side of the head to head record.
jOeyB7000

Postby Jazzygirl205 on Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:02 am

The Lakers have the potential, I'm hoping they don't go on a losing streak again and salvage the season so that they can make the playoffs **fingers crossed and knock on wood** Kobe plays like he did in Philly and WAS with 13 combined assists but still able to be productive offensively, Dwight continues to be successful on his freethrow shooting, other guys contribute productively as well and not just against teams people feel "We should beat". I remember the last couple of seasons our defense and freethrow shooting was an issue, hopefully they continue to improve so we can have a shot at the playoffs.
Jazzygirl205

Postby Battle Tested20 on Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:11 pm

:man10: "Salvage the season" Of course we still can, it's the middle part of December.
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby pound4pound1 on Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:12 pm

after all the struggles, all the uncertainty, Vegas (as of 12/5) still has the Lakers as 3rd best in winning the title...we're behind Miami and OKC

Miami Heat
19/10

Oklahoma City Thunder
4/1

Los Angeles Lakers
5/1

San Antonio Spurs
9/1

Los Angeles Clippers
12/1

Memphis Grizzlies
15/1
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby therealdeal on Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:18 pm

That's because we still have two Aces in our pockets (pardon the pun). We've been just trying to hold down the fort until these two, especially Nash return.

Anyone who isn't a talking head analyst can see that. We're going to turn this around as long as we can get and stay healthy for a period of time.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby DarthRekal on Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:19 pm

LOL clippers 12/1... these guys have been placing odds FOREVER.. they even know the clippers will be the CLIPPERS
Lakers Motto: HOF Guards, We MAKE 'Em... HOF Centers, We TAKE 'Em
DarthRekal
Cookie Monster

Postby pound4pound1 on Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:25 pm

here's the rest of it fellas

New York Knicks
16/1

Chicago Bulls
20/1

Boston Celtics
25/1

Brooklyn Nets
33/1

Dallas Mavericks
45/1

Indiana Pacers
45/1

Denver Nuggets
60/1

Philadelphia 76ers
60/1

Golden State Warriors
75/1

Atlanta Hawks
90/1

Houston Rockets
100/1

Milwaukee Bucks
100/1

Minnesota Timberwolves
100/1

Utah Jazz
100/1

Portland Trailblazers
200/1

Charlotte Bobcats
500/1

Detroit Pistons
500/1

New Orleans Hornets
500/1

Orlando Magic
500/1

Phoenix Suns
500/1

Cleveland Cavaliers
750/1

Sacramento Kings
750/1

Toronto Raptors
750/1

Washington Wizards
1000/1
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby Lakerjones on Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:41 pm

therealdeal wrote:That's because we still have two Aces in our pockets (pardon the pun). We've been just trying to hold down the fort until these two, especially Nash return.

Anyone who isn't a talking head analyst can see that. We're going to turn this around as long as we can get and stay healthy for a period of time.

:jam2:
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby trodgers on Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:55 pm

therealdeal wrote:That's because we still have two Aces in our pockets (pardon the pun). We've been just trying to hold down the fort until these two, especially Nash return.

Exactly. Really just a question of how the cards fall.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby lakersyunowin on Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:04 pm

i don't think we particularly deserved this win, but hey i'll take it. 3 in a row.
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby Weezy on Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:07 pm

Yeah, we should have never been down 18 to the Bobcats, but we were and we came back and won. Still gotta beat the bad teams. I thought our defense was fantastic late in the 3rd and into the 4th, swarming all over the place, getting tons of steals, effort I haven't seen in forever. Morris absolutely shut down Walker for a stretch there. So yeah, should not have been down 18, but we were and we STILL came back and won, and I can be proud of a team that does not quit.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby The Rock on Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:09 pm

- Morris played well
- Kobe is still able to get to the hole when hes going one on one
- Pau has a solid game, wasn't as shaky as he was early in the year
- Meeks continues to hit some 3s

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby Jellincon on Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:11 pm

3 in a row against the Bobcats and for the season. The basketball gods sparred us tonight with that crazy finish.
Jellincon

Postby Nashty Gal on Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:16 pm

We won 3 in a row! :man4:
The Black Mamba and the White Swan
Kobe on talk with Pau about being more aggressive, "it's against his nature, he's always very nice, very white swan, I need him to be black swan"

http://www.thesexysaxman.com
Nashty Gal

Postby jOeyB7000 on Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:20 pm

Got to .500 all time vs the Bobcats

Pau looked mobile

3 game win streak

D12 70%++ free throws
Last edited by jOeyB7000 on Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jOeyB7000

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:21 pm

Overall, not a good game at all. We look good for stretches in games but can't put a consistent 48 together. That will suffice because we're playing the Bobcats; however, against the elite teams, that won't get it done.

I'm glad we didn't quit, though. We hung in there and scraped a victory out.
dwighthowardsdad

Postby Ariza3 on Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:24 am

- our team d in the halfcourt is improving...just gotta get better at transition d.
- kobe is passing more which is leading to others involved...but needs to take his FGA way down for Dwight
- dwight and pau looking more mobile...but still need more time
- morris looks more under control with the ball passing and scoring as well as playing tough D consistently
- meeks becomes a consistent contributor off the bench on both ends (money from the 3!)
- pau's passing inside to dwight as well as lobs is something we need to build on and use more
Ariza3

Postby pound4pound1 on Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:32 pm

even though it was against the Bobcats, it was good to see the team come back from a deficit and actually win...glad they didn't fold
pound4pound1

Postby therealdeal on Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:32 pm

Things to be optimstic about:
1. Pau looked pretty damn good. Not just physically, but mentally he was charged up and he was active. He looked like he wanted to play out there and that was great to see. The FG% will go up a little bit, but the rest is something I wasn't sure I'd ever see from him again. It was great to see that. He might never posterize Birdman again, but that's not what I need from him to be happy.

2. The team last night showed the kind of fight I need from them to prove that they can win it all. As weird as it is to say that about a game in December against the Bobcats at home, it's true. They were down by 18 and when they could have just said "eh, f*** it we're done here" they fought and scrapped back to a win. I don't expect them to duplicate that kind of effort every minute for 48 minutes for the rest of the season, but I certainly expect something closer to that than what we've seen so far. They showed me that they can play defense and they can cover for each other and they can find a way to win.

It was by far the ugliest win I've seen from a Laker team in the last 3 years, but it was the kind of win that I think they needed. The kind where they hit about as low as you can get: down 18 to the worst team in the league AT HOME and they found the way to win.

If they could bottle up that effort and energy and make it work for just 36 minutes in a game, they'll win most games. If the bench of Artest/Morris or Duhon/Hill or Jamison or Howard or whoever else is in there can come in and just ramp up the energy defensively, this team can get really dangerous really quickly.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Forward Three on Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:46 pm

Well, it's hard to take too much out of a win against the Bobcats, especially when that win involved digging an 18 point hole in the middle of the game, but at the same time, they got back in it because they locked in defensively, which is encouraging to see that the team is legitimately capable of playing stifling D, I hesitate to say 'when they need to' since even then they are liable to completely blow any given play, but the capability is there and the next step should just be honing that to where it isn't such an abnormal thing to see.

We keep wanting this Lakers team to find something that clicks and carries over into future games, but if they have been consistent with anything this season it has been consistently doing the wrong things and not carrying over the right things. Still, maybe that's just the way it will go, it will be a process and it will be frustrating but the bright side is that the theoretical ceiling for this team should still be as high as they want it to be.

It's maddening though because this team will tease you with 30-something minutes worth of completely respectable basketball(the type where even if they are down you can live with it), but they've just had so many moments in so many games where in the course of 6 or 7 minutes they go from treading water and playing a basketball game to suddenly facing a 15+ deficit and needing to claw their way back into it. The bottom falls out on this Lakers team far too often, which makes it specifically very hard to be OPTIMISTIC about future games because even if we do see a general improvement across the board, that inexplicable "Hey, let's let the opposition score on 10 straight possessions" tendency still lingers around.
Forward Three

Postby Doc Brown on Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:52 am

This is an optimistic site, we shouldn't let this fall to the 2nd page. :man1:

We are only 6 1/2 games out of the 3 seed, 7 1/2 out from the 2 seed and 9 games out of the 1st seed. There is 56 games left in the season, we are coming back to full strength here very shortly and we are on a 3 game winning streak.

We are about to start bangin' on fools and start climbing that ladder.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion