The Optimistic Thread! (TRD's FREEDOM THREAD!)

Re: The Optimistic Thread! (TRD's FREEDOM THREAD!)

Postby Weezy on Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:25 pm

Azndude2190 wrote:I don't think management likes building a team through the draft ala OKC. They tend to go for blockbuster trades.

And that has clearly worked, so I can't complain. At the same time though, you do need a balance, and eventually you need to develop your own young talent, you can't always trade for it or get it with the mini mle. It's worked a lot of the time, but right now these guys are correct we need to do better in the draft going forward. All I was saying is that I don't have a lot of faith that we will based on our history.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby khmrP on Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:38 pm

lakersin4 wrote:
khmrP wrote:
lakersin4 wrote:Rudy Gay is on the block & Pau should still have enough value to atleast get the cap relief they want. Also that old Pek/Dwill2/AK rumor is something to be optimistic about.

how does Mem get cap relief trading Gay for Pau? :man3:

Pau to 3rd team that provides cap relief. Hence "Pau should still have enough value to atleast get the cap relief they want"

I bet you couldn't think of said 3rd team :man10:
khmrP

Postby JGC on Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:38 pm

I also think drafting when you're a championship squad, comes with a different philosophy than drafting when you're a doormat. A lot of those picks, we selected to try to fill a singular need. Like outside shooting, or, athleticism or something.

The thought was that bringing Howard and Nash here, would make that draft pick a low one which is risky anyway no matter WHO is making the selection. It's still the right play.

Sometimes, you make the right play and it doesn't pan out. Pocket aces doesn't win every time. The important thing it to make the right move and to some degree, it's up to the basketball gods from there.
JGC

Postby dj vitus on Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:40 pm

Well, plenty of teams have turned it around second half of the season, so we'll see.

Sad that it has to come down to this, but we're still in the hunt, folks. All the mediocre teams are struggling, and I think we have a lot more potential than they do.
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
dj vitus

Postby dj vitus on Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:45 pm

khmrP wrote:
lakersin4 wrote:
khmrP wrote:
lakersin4 wrote:Rudy Gay is on the block & Pau should still have enough value to atleast get the cap relief they want. Also that old Pek/Dwill2/AK rumor is something to be optimistic about.

Pau to 3rd team that provides cap relief. Hence "Pau should still have enough value to atleast get the cap relief they want"

Pau to ATL, JSmith + filler to Mem, Rudy Gay to Lakers?

Then offer the max to KLove in 2015. :jam2:
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
dj vitus

Postby khmrP on Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:16 pm

dj vitus wrote:
khmrP wrote:
lakersin4 wrote:
khmrP wrote:

Pau to ATL, JSmith + filler to Mem, Rudy Gay to Lakers?

Then offer the max to KLove in 2015. :jam2:

right cause Atl would so love to give up an expiring young player who's playing at his best for old declining $20mill/yr guy and ADD to the package to boot :man10:
khmrP

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:33 pm

To get back on the track of this thread I'll quote myself.
puffyusaf#2 wrote:I am optimistic because since Nash has returned we have been having more of the good play and less than before. We are on the cusp of the corner but we just haven't turned it. Yes, it is frustrating but I see the light.
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby lakersyunowin on Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:52 pm

in mitch we trust.
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby Battle Tested20 on Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:00 pm

fkmikebrown wrote:in mitch we trust.

One of if not the only optimistic thing at this point. :man10:
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby khmrP on Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:05 pm

maybe this failure will truly show Jim is not the right person for the front office job in the long run?
khmrP

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:05 pm

Battle Tested20 wrote:
fkmikebrown wrote:in mitch we trust.

One of if not the only optimistic thing at this point. :man10:

:man1:
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:07 pm

Mitch is the best GM in the business. Nobody is better. He'll make roster changes this year. He knows the expectations; he's not going to wait. Unfortunately, I don't know if we'll have enough time by the time the playoffs begin...
dwighthowardsdad

Postby XXIV on Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:12 pm

I'm optimistic something will be done to at least try and improve the team.
XXIV

Postby Pig Miller on Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:23 pm

dwighthowardsdad wrote:Mitch is the best GM in the business. Nobody is better. He'll make roster changes this year. He knows the expectations; he's not going to wait. Unfortunately, I don't know if we'll have enough time by the time the playoffs begin...

once mitch completed the dwight deal, i bet he was thinking, "i'm going to take more vacation time this year, spend more time with my family, etc."

the team owes mitch an apology.
Pig Miller

Postby lakersyunowin on Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:26 pm

Pig Miller wrote:
dwighthowardsdad wrote:Mitch is the best GM in the business. Nobody is better. He'll make roster changes this year. He knows the expectations; he's not going to wait. Unfortunately, I don't know if we'll have enough time by the time the playoffs begin...

once mitch completed the dwight deal, i bet he was thinking, "i'm going to take more vacation time this year, spend more time with my family, etc."

hahahahaha. i just pictured mitch in a hawaiian shirt, sitting on a beach...but with that ever-present look of death on his face.

"i wouldn't trade this sunset for anything in the world.....or would i"
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby Battle Tested20 on Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:30 pm

fkmikebrown wrote:
Pig Miller wrote:

hahahahaha. i just pictured mitch in a hawaiian shirt, sitting on a beach...but with that ever-present look of death on his face.

"i wouldn't trade this sunset for anything in the world.....or would i"

or Mitch was in a hawaiian shirt, sitting on a beach, drinking his favorite beverage, when he get's a call from little Jimmy from there Jimmy goes on to tell Mitch what the Lakers record is now. Mitch tosses the phone in the water
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby dmaul on Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:31 pm

God bless Mitch. Not his fault. I feel as bad for him as I do for Kobe. They don't deserve this.
dmaul

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:32 pm

Pig Miller wrote:

Agreed. He made some great moves in the offseason. Unfortunately, things just aren't working out right now, and we have roster issues, but we will be ok. We're the Los Angeles Lakers. 16 championships; a littany of legends that have played for this organizations, etc. I'm so confident in this organization to make the correct decisions moving forward...
dwighthowardsdad

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:08 am

if we win 20-25 games in a row we should be fine
CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby Ariza3 on Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:41 am

ball movement was really good. guys making the extra pass and good decisions out there. gotta limit the turnovers though.

our offense creates so many open jumpers for our PF's so Dantoni should play Jamison more bc he'd drill those.

Pau dunked the ball more than he has in a while. maybe this is a sign of better things to come from him in that aspect.
Ariza3

Postby therealdeal on Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:03 am

Good signs: Dwight looked really good out there. He was really active and made some great plays. He had that crazy unfortunate block, but hey that wasn't his fault. And that turnover... that was a mistake but he made the right initial play so I'll give him credit there.

Pau looked active much of the night until late. He's GOT to make those jump shots. Hopefully his value is rising for a trade.

Kobe looked awful, but he showed he can still close games if we need him to.

Artest... He and Hill are always sources of optimism these days.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby khmrP on Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:04 am

therealdeal wrote:Good signs: Dwight looked really good out there. He was really active and made some great plays. He had that crazy unfortunate block, but hey that wasn't his fault. And that turnover... that was a mistake but he made the right initial play so I'll give him credit there.

Pau looked active much of the night until late. He's GOT to make those jump shots. Hopefully his value is rising for a trade.

I wish he was a lil smarter with his blocks, he could easily block and control most of those shots but he just loves to send them into the stands and this time it backfired.
khmrP

Postby therealdeal on Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:20 am

He's been getting better at it. I think it takes more energy to do it that way, often a second jump which might be taxing on him at this point...

That block I think was about as good as we could expect from him. He came over and made a tremendous play, but the ball just barely bounces out of the reach of Metta and despite the great close out... well that's been a microcosm of our season thus far. :man10:

But hey, the important note is that Dwight made that block. That was a terrific defensive play.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby trodgers on Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:27 am

therealdeal wrote:Good signs: Dwight looked really good out there. He was really active and made some great plays. He had that crazy unfortunate block, but hey that wasn't his fault. And that turnover... that was a mistake but he made the right initial play so I'll give him credit there.

What about Kobe looked awful?
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby therealdeal on Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:30 am

trodgers wrote:

What about Kobe looked awful?

I thought he was very loose with the ball in one-on-one situations through most of the 2nd and 3rd quarters. The first quarter he looked good sharing the ball and allowing Dwight and Pau to be the focus of the offense. I thought defensively he fell asleep a lot and he was worried about the refereeing WAY too much instead of just hustling after loose balls or rebound or potential turnovers or what have you. There was a play defensively that shines in my mind where Nash funnelled baseline to the help, Kobe showed and then left the ball (cardinal sin) and allowed Lawson a wide open layup. The 4th quarter he took over like he should have offensively though, can't complain there. He came through late, but some of the plays he made early were part of the reason we lost.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion