First Team:
ImageImageImageImageImage<br>

The Bench Mob:

The Left Overs:
ImageImage<br>

The Draftees:
ImageImage<br>
Last edited by Snakell Beast on Sat May 24, 2003 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Snakell Beast

Postby Snakell Beast on Sat May 24, 2003 8:43 pm

Here is how this happens:

#1. We use the MLE on Juwan Howard
#2. We exercise our 5.3 million dollar option on Robert Horry and trade him with Kareem Rush to Golden State for Gilbert Arenas. Realistic, but not likely (I know) but consider that GS gets a young scorer in Rush, a vet PF with a short term (1 season) contract (making him cap friendly) and would have more room for their other scorers and whomever they draft.
#3. Piatkowski, Griffin and Voskuhl are all minimum players (especially since all but 3 or 4 teams are over the salary cap and will be spending their MLE and LLE wisely on the miriad of better players available) and I know they won't mind coming to the Lakers to win rings as important back ups, if only for a tester season with the option to extend.
#4. We simply re-sign Mark Madsen and Jannero Pargo to 800k minimum contracts, Pargo knows he can't get more and Mark would get the same as he is getting now.
#5. We draft David West and Dahntay Jones with the #24 and #32 selections on June 25th.
Last edited by Snakell Beast on Sat May 24, 2003 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Snakell Beast

Postby Snakell Beast on Sat May 24, 2003 8:47 pm

Then we hope Dahntay Jones developes in time to replace Eric Piatkowski when he leaves as Kobe's backup and that West winds up the good PF that he is predicted to be. If those things happen, we can be on top for a long time.
Snakell Beast

Postby BDG on Sat May 24, 2003 8:59 pm

hey that one actually might work... our 4th title would definitely be guaranteed if our roster looks like that
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby LakersGyrl2003 on Sat May 24, 2003 10:04 pm

Hmmm Voskul.... I think that's how u spell his name... He's pretty good... He's an aight playa.... :bow:
LakersGyrl2003

Postby Seawell on Sun May 25, 2003 1:42 am

We don't want any part of Dahntay Jones! I live in NC so I've seen him play his whole career at Duke. He is NOT a good shooter and he is notorious for being a dirty player to make up for his lack of skills. He belongs on the Jailblazers :man10: Plus, Duke players normally flake out in the NBA(with the exception of Elton Brand). I have way more confidence in the development of Rush than Dahntay Jones.
Seawell

Lineup

Postby Spen1 on Sun May 25, 2003 7:03 am

I don't agree with you line up. Listen all we need is G.P. and P.J. Brown and we are looking another 3 rings. I like Pargo over Rush and Madsen brings engery to the team. Slava will become come a very dangerous threat on the bench if he ever gets the time in to develop his game. Slava is going to suprise alot of people he a dimond in the ruff. I love Horry to death buts hes got to go. Fish got ta go. He not any kind of inside threat. If his (Fisher) jumper is not on he's garbage. Wish Lue was back at least he brings engery and defense. We have a soild squad just need to twek it a little and the league is in trouble again. :jam2: :pipe:

[[color=red]b]The Lake Show Future as seen through my crystal ball!

2004, 2005, 2006 - Lakers world champs

2007 - Phil retires. Lakers loose in the Finals, Shaq retires, Kobe stays.

2008, 2009, 2010 - Lakers rebuild & still make palyoffs each year.

2011-Lakers a major threat again. West gets weak as palyers get old.[/b]
[/color]
Spen1

Postby LP on Sun May 25, 2003 9:59 am

good choice SB. In fact that's my dream offseason. If we get Howard and Arenas, I really could give a damn WHO we draft.

Getting Arenas would be extremely difficult to do though. Too many road bumps. Still, if we could somehow get it done........wow....
LP

Postby ELF on Sun May 25, 2003 10:36 am

Seawell, you sound like a UNC fan. D. Jones has been kicking UNC tail so now you're hating on him. I like D. JOnes!

-ELF
ELF

Postby Kobe_One_Kenobi_8 on Sun May 25, 2003 11:10 am

Paitkowski is a nice addition. Someone that consistently hit that 3 is a nice addition. Plus he is a good teammate and citizen.

Dhantay is a nice pick for the 32nd pick. Hopefully we can get him there. Athletic is his middle name. You have to love his dunk against Virginia.
Kobe_One_Kenobi_8

Postby Seawell on Sun May 25, 2003 11:44 am

ELF wrote:Seawell, you sound like a UNC fan. D. Jones has been kicking UNC tail so now you're hating on him. I like D. JOnes!

-ELF

My carolina blue shined through in my post, huh? :spin: Seriously though, all bias aside........I don't think Dahntay Jones fits our team. You can't dispute the fact that 99.9% of Duke players suck in the NBA(see Christian Laetner, Danny Ferry, Jay Williams, Mike Dunleavy, Trajan Langdon, William Avery, etc.....) For some reason they are great college players but just aren't cut out for the big league. Elton Brand is the only one that ever lived up to the hype. Josh Howard of Wake Forest is projected to still be available in the second round and would be a much better choice.
Seawell

Postby Kobe_One_Kenobi_8 on Sun May 25, 2003 12:01 pm

If Dhantay only has a consistent outside J, then he can be comparable in body structure to Jimmy Jackson. The Lakers version of Jimmy Jackson. He might not pan well in the NBA since popular opinion states that Duke players does not succeed in the NBA. However, we just need him to feel a specific role with the Lakers. He doesn't have to lead and be great. We have Kobe and Shaq for that. We just need to increase our athletic talent as a team.
Kobe_One_Kenobi_8

Postby Seawell on Sun May 25, 2003 12:22 pm

If we're looking for a consistent outside J then Dahntay is not the man for the job. If we are looking for an athletic player then he would be fine.

This is a little clip from nbadrat.net:
Weaknesses: The biggest area of concern for Jones is that he is a below average shooter from the perimeter ... Ball protection could stand improvement as he can be turnover prone ... Let's his emotions get the best of him which can lead to quick fouls ... Doesn't have the court vision needed to create scoring opportunities for his teammates ... Not a threat from three point range. Opposing teams often back off him and dare him to take the 3-point shot ... Struggles to hit the jumper off the dribble where he remains terribly inconsistent ... Still tends to make bad judgments on the court ... Doesn't always use his size and strength to his advantage when guarded by smaller defenders ... Ball handling is average at best. He simply hasn't needed to improve in this area due to Duke's solid group of guards over the past two year's but will have to in the NBA ... Many have feel his game hasn't grown as much as expected when he first transferred from Rutgers ...

Like I said I live in North Carolina so I've have seen him play a lot and I just don't think he is Laker material. Could be wrong but we'll see what happens.
Last edited by Seawell on Sun May 25, 2003 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Seawell

Postby Kobe_One_Kenobi_8 on Sun May 25, 2003 12:26 pm

I know, I just hoped that he can develop one someday to add to his already athletic ability. Hopefully he can develop, but I don't think that Shaq and Kobe have time for someone's shot to develop.
Kobe_One_Kenobi_8

Postby #1_Kobe_fan on Sun May 25, 2003 6:07 pm

If you've been playing basketball all your life and you still don't have a consistent shot..... guess what?... Its not going to happen. I hope that is in the mechanics but his college coaches should of helped him with that.... heck, his highschool coach should of. Kobe and SHAQ will only give him open shots but he has to convert them.
#1_Kobe_fan

Postby whats golden on Sun May 25, 2003 8:59 pm

Love the team SB but we need to make it happen? Will GSW really want Horry? Maybe we can offer them Rush and Pargo for Arenas. That way GSW get a backup PG in Pargo and a young scorer in Rush. We get to keep Horry, although we would need to resign at the vet minimum.

I agree that our MLE should go to Howard, unless of course for some reason Jermaine O'Neal decides that he would like to come play for us and then I say, well I don't really need to say who would be better do I. My only concern is that if we get Arenas he will be our third option, with Juwan a forth. So if a trade for Arenas does eventuate maybe we can lure a more defensive minded PF like PJ Brown, Keon Clark or Brad Miller with our MLE.

The other option that we can explore is to package our picks and a player in order to get up higher in the draft. If we were so incline to take the option on Horry we could package him with a pick or two and make a play for one of the higher picks.

I like the idea of signing Piatkowski and Griffin, both would give us vaulable minutes off the bench along with Fish. As for Voskuhl, I don't know enough about him to comment.

If we are unable to move up on the draft we need to try and try and pick an impact player, and a project player - thoughts?

Any thoughts on who we should use our LLE on?

Whatever happens we need to get thaove the team SB but we need to make it happen? Will GSW really want Horry? Maybe we can offer them Rush and Pargo for Arenas. That way GSW get a backup PG in Pargo and a young scorer in Rush. We get to keep Horry, although we would need to resign at the vet minimum.

I agree that our MLE should go to Howard, unless of course for some reason Jermaine O'Neal decides that he would like to come play for us and then I say, well I don't really need to say who would be better do I. My only concern is that if we get Arenas he will be our third option, with Juwan a forth. So if a trade for Arenas does eventuate maybe we can lure a more defensive minded PF like PJ Brown, Keon Clark or Brad Miller with our MLE.

The other option that we can explore is to package our picks and a player in order to get up higher in the draft. If we were so incline to take the option on Horry we could package him with a pick or two and make a play for one of the higher picks.

I like the idea of signing Piatkowski and Griffin, both would give us vaulable minutes off the bench along with Fish. As for Voskuhl, I don't know enough about him to comment.

If we are unable to move up on the draft we need to try and try and pick an impact player, and a project player - thoughts?

Any thoughts on who we should use our LLE on?

Whatever happens we need to get that Larry O'Brian trophy back to Staples.

MY PROJECTED LINEUP FOR 03/04

PG - Arenas/Fisher
SG - Kobe/Piatkowski
SF - George/Griffin/Fox
PF - MLE/Horry/Madsen
C - Shaq/Slava

+ 2 picks

They said playing basketball would kill me. Well, not playing basketball was killing me.
Earvin ''Magic'' Johnson
whats golden

Re: Lineup

Postby BDG on Mon May 26, 2003 11:25 am

Spen1 wrote:2007 - Phil retires. Lakers loose in the Finals, Shaq retires, Kobe stays.

I don't see the Lakers losing in the Finals unless the East Coast makes some big changes and draws free agents between now and then.
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby whats golden on Mon May 26, 2003 4:09 pm

Further to my last post, perhaps we should look at revisiting the Terry/Ratlif trade. 3rd option and defensive presence.

Also is there a three team trade that could be an option?

They said playing basketball would kill me. Well, not playing basketball was killing me.
Earvin ''Magic'' Johnson
whats golden

Postby Snakell Beast on Mon May 26, 2003 8:21 pm

I would LOVE to do the trade with Atlanta, it was Rush/Madsen/Horry for Ratliff and Terry. If they are still interested, I would do that, then use the MLE on Howard and sign Piatkowski and Griffin, using Slava as Shaq's backup and the third PF. Then we look like this:

First Team:

The Bench Mob:

The Left Overs/Injured Reserve:

The Draftees:
ImageImage<br>

seawell, you might be right about Dahntay because anyone who has seen more than 1 full college basketball game (me, this year's NCAA Championship) has it all over me in regards to knowledge of the players...
Snakell Beast

Postby Seawell on Mon May 26, 2003 10:07 pm

Snakell Beast,
I hope it doesn't seem like I'm making too big of a deal about Dahntay Jones. I've just seen him play a lot and I don't think he is what we need at all. He was notorious in the ACC for commiting cheap and dangerous fouls(he broke a guy's jaw last season during one of these incidents). I really appreciate the fact that our guys play hard but don't play dirty(except for Rob's karate chop on David Robinson :man10:). I'm not sure who to take with that #32 pick, maybe Kyle Korver just to have a great shooter? Many considered him the best shooter in college last year.
Seawell

Postby #1_Kobe_fan on Mon May 26, 2003 10:44 pm

if he's the best shooter in COLLEGE than he would definitely be gone when the 32nd pick comes around.
#1_Kobe_fan

Postby Seawell on Tue May 27, 2003 1:59 am

He's projected to go #58 on nbadraft.net. I think he has slipped because he isn't really great at creating his own shot so most teams will pass on him. He may be good for us though so that we can have somebody to hit open shots. espn.com has us getting Nick Collison with the #24 pick, he would be a steal if he slips that far! Here's the link on that:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nbadraft/d03/index
Seawell

Postby #1_Kobe_fan on Tue May 27, 2003 2:06 am

do we need another MADSEN type player in NICK? I like the hustle play but if your undersized what chance do you have against the likes of DUNCRAP, Webber, Garnett and Wallace? He's listed at 6'9" but so was Madsen. In NBA terms he is probably 6'7" or 6'8" (they like to lie in college about their heights). Come on, We are looking for ATHLETES!!! We are not looking for someone who will turn out to be a liability in the DEFENSIVE END because a player can't move quick enough. NICK might be a smart/hustle type player but we already have MADSEN. You can't have two CLARK KENTS in one team when there is already a SUPERMAN!!!

Seriously though, if MITCH picks up NICK it will be yet another BAD pick. I hope MITCH doesn't turn out to be another ELGIN BAYLOR who picked up FREAKIN DANNY FERRY!!!! WTF was he thinking!!!
#1_Kobe_fan

Postby Seawell on Tue May 27, 2003 12:33 pm

I was actually thinking of having either Mad Dog or Nick Collison but you're right both wouldn't make much sense.
Seawell

Postby Snakell Beast on Tue May 27, 2003 3:47 pm

Nick seems to be better than mark Madsen, but he might be a risk for us, although with Slava and Juwan he might be a WORTHY risk and since we already know he has as much energy and hustle as mark and is slightly bigger and better from the perimeter and defensively (along with championship experience) we might as well REPLACE Mark with Nick...
Snakell Beast

Next

Return to Lakers Discussion