this is a different team compare to a week ago

Re: this is a different team compare to a week ago

Postby JLaker17 on Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:15 pm

The bench needs to improve and our starters minutes need to go down, or this will get ugly.
JLaker17

Postby ramsay13 on Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:42 pm

They are a week older :jam2:
ramsay13

Postby Congo Cash on Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:29 am

Kobe and Gasol's minutes are up because bench is absolute [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.]... Can't rest when game is close or losing...
- insert signature here -
Congo Cash

Postby OX1947 on Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:48 am

Lakers have lost 4 of the 6 games from turnovers. Way too many turnovers.
OX1947

Postby Punk-101 on Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:34 am

My hope:

Under Bernie, they played freely, without any thinking about learning a new offense. Their defense was also really good for the most part. We don't have a personnel problem.

Now, even though MDA's offense is pretty free and traditional, they are still having to "think" rather than just playing like it's second nature. "Thinking" while trying to play such a fast games results in lots of turnovers and residual "thinking" on the defensive end (what the heck just went wrong on that last turnover? - Oops, missed my defensive rotation or forgot to box out).
“Action has meaning only in relationship; and without understanding relationship, action on any level will only breed conflict. The understanding of relationship is infinitely more important than the search for any plan of action.”
-Jiddu Krishnamurti
Punk-101

Postby Lakerjones on Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:57 am

Punk-101 wrote:My hope:

Under Bernie, they played freely, without any thinking about learning a new offense. Their defense was also really good for the most part. We don't have a personnel problem.

Now, even though MDA's offense is pretty free and traditional, they are still having to "think" rather than just playing like it's second nature. "Thinking" while trying to play such a fast games results in lots of turnovers and residual "thinking" on the defensive end (what the heck just went wrong on that last turnover? - Oops, missed my defensive rotation or forgot to box out).

^^ I think you're right about that Punk- 101. They were trying to force some things and I think that will work itself out. I did miss how free they had been though. That last game under Bernie the offense was really natural.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby lalfan on Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:38 pm

this Memphis game just proved my theory was correct. the second unit playing simple yet effective basketball (dump to Howard, kick out to hot shooters) almost saved the game for Lakers, but once Kobe got back in, the offense totally bogged down. if Kobe decides to play hero mode all of sudden, it'll be a long season to watch, and there's no way Howard will stay in LA (except to the Clippers). the thing about Kobe is you never know when he's gonna revert back his old habit. the team was playing happy up until two and half games ago, and bang, out of no where, the ball hog Kobe returned. Kobe ain't gonna change, he doesn't have to, he has 5 rings and will have a statue outside of Staples the second he retires, BUT as a Laker fan we really have to worry about the backlash this brings upon the future of this team. Howard likely will bolt if this goes on, Nash would either retire or going back to PHX ceremoniously for one last year, and what's that gonna leave us?
lalfan

Postby The Rock on Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:41 pm

Well yea we're playing on the road LOL that makes a huge difference to young players and mentally weak players like Pau

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby JGC on Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:45 pm

lalfan wrote:this Memphis game just proved my theory was correct. the second unit playing simple yet effective basketball (dump to Howard, kick out to hot shooters) almost saved the game for Lakers, but once Kobe got back in, the offense totally bogged down. if Kobe decides to play hero mode all of sudden, it'll be a long season to watch, and there's no way Howard will stay in LA (except to the Clippers). the thing about Kobe is you never know when he's gonna revert back his old habit. the team was playing happy up until two and half games ago, and bang, out of no where, the ball hog Kobe returned. Kobe ain't gonna change, he doesn't have to, he has 5 rings and will have a statue outside of Staples the second he retires, BUT as a Laker fan we really have to worry about the backlash this brings upon the future of this team. Howard likely will bolt if this goes on, Nash would either retire or going back to PHX ceremoniously for one last year, and what's that gonna leave us?

Well, to Kobe's credit, the team started playing lackluster, which is going to happen to ANY team. And he tried to take over. He doesn't do that for love of shooting the ball. He does that because he is doing what he thinks will lead the team to a W.

The problem I have with it, is that it doesn't often lead the team to a W. Kobe's intentions should never be in question. His intentions are right. The execution is not. His forcing the issue doesn't help break the team out of their funk even when he makes baskets.

I would prefer that Kobe forcefeed the team concept over and over and over again. And then take over in the final 2 mins or so.

There was a thread in the offseason, and it would be interesting to resurrect it, about "concerns" people have about this team. And I said the only concern I had was whether Kobe could play within the team concept for most of the game, or would he go in to hero ball mode when things weren't going right and I can try to dig it up but you'll see I got bashed for it as if it was some crazy concept.
JGC

Postby 7secondmess on Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:47 pm

Punk-101 wrote:My hope:

Agree with everything you said. Memphis is really good. The only concern for me is Hill and Pau not playing. D'Antoni needs to utilize his roster strengths and not lean towards his small ball preference. Memphis is a big team. Gay is a 4 on a lot of teams. Z-Bo is a house and Mark is huge. Defense, rebounding and size are just as important as speed and outside shooting.
7secondmess

Postby jbiggs on Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:23 am

JGC wrote:
lalfan wrote:this Memphis game just proved my theory was correct. the second unit playing simple yet effective basketball (dump to Howard, kick out to hot shooters) almost saved the game for Lakers, but once Kobe got back in, the offense totally bogged down. if Kobe decides to play hero mode all of sudden, it'll be a long season to watch, and there's no way Howard will stay in LA (except to the Clippers). the thing about Kobe is you never know when he's gonna revert back his old habit. the team was playing happy up until two and half games ago, and bang, out of no where, the ball hog Kobe returned. Kobe ain't gonna change, he doesn't have to, he has 5 rings and will have a statue outside of Staples the second he retires, BUT as a Laker fan we really have to worry about the backlash this brings upon the future of this team. Howard likely will bolt if this goes on, Nash would either retire or going back to PHX ceremoniously for one last year, and what's that gonna leave us?

Well, to Kobe's credit, the team started playing lackluster, which is going to happen to ANY team. And he tried to take over. He doesn't do that for love of shooting the ball. He does that because he is doing what he thinks will lead the team to a W.

The problem I have with it, is that it doesn't often lead the team to a W. Kobe's intentions should never be in question. His intentions are right. The execution is not. His forcing the issue doesn't help break the team out of their funk even when he makes baskets.

THIS
KOBE FOR LIFE
jbiggs
ClubCavs.com Administrator

Location: Born in South Torrance (So Cal) and currently in Point Loma

Postby Lakerjones on Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:27 am

JGC wrote:

I would prefer that Kobe forcefeed the team concept over and over and over again. And then take over in the final 2 mins or so.

There was a thread in the offseason, and it would be interesting to resurrect it, about "concerns" people have about this team. And I said the only concern I had was whether Kobe could play within the team concept for most of the game, or would he go in to hero ball mode when things weren't going right and I can try to dig it up but you'll see I got bashed for it as if it was some crazy concept.

^^ Very good post, JGC.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby MC on Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:26 am

How about we get Bryant back to his natural position off ball before we start suggesting he's an issue of any sort. NASH is out..... once he's back Bryant will be working OFF BALL majority of time while Nash creates aka dictates a lot of the shot selection. I wouldn't worry about Bryant in the last 2 minutes or thru-out the games once Nash takes up 30-34 minutes a game.

Now I wouldn't be against starting Duhon but MDA has had him before and there might be a reason why he doesn't.... he needs someone to run the bench at times perhaps, and besides, Morris is coming around while Bryant has been keeping the drivers seat warm for Nash.
"If the wolf is the strength of the pack, the pack is the strength of the wolf"
MC

Previous

Return to Lakers Discussion