is this Laker team better than last year's team?

Re: is this Laker team better than last year's team?

Postby Weezy on Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:07 pm

All depends on Kobe's health for me, real. If he's healthy for most of the season, we're better, if he's not, we're pretty much the same, unless Randle and Davis really surprise, and Lin and Hill step it up big time.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:10 pm

Weezy wrote:All depends on Kobe's health for me, real. If he's healthy for most of the season, we're better, if he's not, we're pretty much the same, unless Randle and Davis really surprise, and Lin and Hill step it up big time.

Just based on three facts I think we'll be better:

1. D'Antoni is gone so the rotations will be more stable.
2. D'Antoni is gone so we'll have no more 3 PG rotations.
3. D'Antoni is gone so our bigs will be more effective.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:13 pm

Good point. I keep forgetting that as bad as we were on our own last season, 'Antoni made it worse with his rotations and system. We were bad, but we shouldn't have been losing by 30 points that often, that's a team that gave up and a coach that lost the players. Still, our roster is very similar to last season now, especially with Henry and Wes back, and Boozer being essentially a shorter Pau.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:45 pm

Two of the worst defenders in the league (Pau and Meeks) are gone, we will be better.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby LakerJack on Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:53 pm

NO.
20 wins max.
All time Lakers team: Magic, Kobe, West, Worthy and Chamberlain.
LakerJack

Postby syl on Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:00 pm

yes, Hill will play more, randle/boozer are great additions to equalize losing pau, SF are the same, healthy kobe, better PG in my opinion, YES better squad and most likely better coach
Kobe Bryant: GM of the Year (Chucky was right!)
syl

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:02 pm

Better at every position except SF and MDA isn't the coach. Getting rid of MDA alone made the team better automatically.
CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby JJack on Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:11 pm

better coach and system is the key, Lakers fans must all get fed up by bad coaching.
if not look at spurs, look at suns, bulls and wizards, all made good run with mediocre squad.
Lakers can do it, play some good basketball within a system, even if miss the playoff, but perform like the Suns last season, next summer should attract good FA to join.
JJack

Postby therealdeal on Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:30 pm

Weezy wrote:Good point. I keep forgetting that as bad as we were on our own last season, 'Antoni made it worse with his rotations and system. We were bad, but we shouldn't have been losing by 30 points that often, that's a team that gave up and a coach that lost the players. Still, our roster is very similar to last season now, especially with Henry and Wes back, and Boozer being essentially a shorter Pau.

I feel like we're a pretty different team actually. Even if Kobe plays half the season, that's almost 7 times the amount of games he played last season. That'll change things big time.

Not to mention we now have no proven big men that can pass the ball like Pau could. Randle looks like he might be able to, but he has yet to prove it at the next level. Boozer is an alright passer, but not Pau's level. That means we're going to either be a more motion offense or a pick and roll/PG offense. We'll be pretty much what the majority of the League is now and that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Also, and this'll sound weird from a D'Antoni team, but I hope we fast break more. We've got a LOT of young athletes on this team and only Kobe/Boozer to slow us down. We should be getting some easy buckets if we can. There's no reason for us not to be able to emulate Miami's defense right now. We've got mobile bigs, athletic wings, and guys at (hopefully) 3 positions in our starting lineup that can push the ball up the floor in Lin, Kobe, and Randle.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby dmaul on Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:44 pm

Better than last year? Oh god, I hope so. It grieves me to no end that Phoenix has our 1st round draft pick. So what are the chances that we suck more than last year and get into the top 5 vs. sucking around the same level and giving them our pick from 6-10? I'm going to go out on a limb and say with the hire of Byron Scott this thing gets turned around enough where we surprise people and get into the playoffs as the eighth seed, assuming we stay healthy that is. Personnel wise, I'd say we're better. The big difference will be coaching though. D'Antoni was a pile of garbage. Scott I like. I think he'll do a good job, command the respect of the players, and preach defense. Now just hire him for Christ sake. What's taking so long?
dmaul

Postby Snakell Beast on Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:53 pm

therealdeal wrote:Just based on three facts I think we'll be better:

1. D'Antoni is gone so the rotations will be more stable.
2. D'Antoni is gone so we'll have no more 3 PG rotations.
3. D'Antoni is gone so our bigs will be more effective.

OKAY, SECOND THAT!!!

Here's a visual breakdown:

This Year's Roster VS Last Year's Roster: (Guys in RED were here last season)

PG: Lin / Clarkson / Marshall** / [out:Nash...honestly, even Nash said that]
SG: Kobe* / Young
SF: Wesley / Xavier / ???
PF: Boozer / Randle / Kelly
C: Hill / Davis / Sacre

* = Even though he only played 6 games last year, Kobe WAS technically ON the roster, so...
** = I assume we re-sign Marshall when he clears waivers, which I ASSUME he will...stay tuned, to something else :man8:

VS

PG: Marshall / Farmar / [out:Nash]
SG: Meeks / Brooks / Blake* / [out:Kobe]
SF: Xavier / Bazemore
PF: Wesley / Hill / Kelly
C: Pau / Sacre / [out:Kaman - Mike D Stupidity]

* = Traded for Brooks/Bazemore

Essentially then:

Lin replaces Farmar = Slight Upgrade (health-wise, if nothing else)

Kobe replaces Meeks = Should be a massive upgrade, but you never know.

Clarkson Replaces Brooks = X's and O's wise, should be a medium size upgrade.

Boozer replaces Pau = Probable downgrade, possibly only slight depending on Boozer's fit with team.

Randle/Davis replace Kaman = Upgrade w/Davis on glass, D...upgrade with Randle on O.

I don't know who will replace Bazemore, but I don't think that will materially change the overall fortunes of this year's team. Most likely, at our current price range, it should work out to being a slight player downgrade.

Overall, I think we may wind up a better team than last season, provided that Julius Randle can develop quickly, Boozer can add value, Kobe stays close to full health all year, the presence of a new coach improves rotations, roles and player development (as well as aggregate defense and rebounding) and Ed Davis/Lin give us what we expect.

If we get an unexpected value with the last free agent signing (say, Evan Turner or Michael Beasley...both of whom I think would be an effective starting SF for us) then we could win more games than we lose. If we can swing a Nash trade at the deadline, and bring in another player that adds value...we might challenge for the playoffs. No contention this season, but it won't totally suck...unless we rehire Mike Brown or Mike D.
The End is nigh. Time for a total Cut and Shuffle. Kobe contract was a mistake...time to avoid making more. The future is here, whether we want it to be or not. An era is over, but for the death rattle, and it's time for the cycle to begin anew. Growth and change are scary and painful, but alas...nothing worth achieving comes easily.
Snakell Beast

Postby Barnstable on Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:42 pm

Doc Brown wrote:Two of the worst defenders in the league (Pau and Meeks) are gone, we will be better.

This.... This X1000 BURNING SUNS THIS!!!

I would have been sorely disappointed if no one recognized the math here. This years Lakers team is the only time where you subtract 2 players and automatically gain 10 wins.

I'm firmly of the belief that we've upgraded and will be improved if for no other reason that the Mighty Trash Lord Meeks is now someone else's problem.
"league getting mitch-slapped"
Barnstable
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:59 pm

Barnstable wrote:
Doc Brown wrote:Two of the worst defenders in the league (Pau and Meeks) are gone, we will be better.

This.... This X1000 BURNING SUNS THIS!!!

I would have been sorely disappointed if no one recognized the math here. This years Lakers team is the only time where you subtract 2 players and automatically gain 10 wins.

I'm firmly of the belief that we've upgraded and will be improved if for no other reason that the Mighty Trash Lord Meeks is now someone else's problem.

How do you really feel about him though?
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Toklat on Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:37 am

Obviously a healthy Kobe makes this years team better but it goes way beyond that. Pau may find it in Chicago but he had no drive left here to play. Our combination of bigs this year will play hard and give full time effort. Lin is an upgrade at point. We have two amazingly athletic rookies. Kelly will be even better than last year's Kelly. Young looked like his game is heading toward another level and is certainly a 6th man of the year candidate. However, the real keys to us being not only better than last year, but much better are 1. We have some high IQ players on the team. Kobe, Lin, Kelly, Boozer, Nash(if he plays at all), Sacre and probably some of the others. 2. Everyone on the team has something to really play for and all seem to be good team guys.(this is no accident) 3. We are going to get some fast break opportunities with Lin. We have multiple people that can create offense for themselves and others. Kobe is not going to have to carry the offense but likely still can in those moments it is necessary. 4. The big difference is right here. Byron Scott will put in a good defensive scheme. These high IQ and very athletic players can be a very good defensive team despite not having a lot of great one on one defenders. If you have desire, hustle, play smart in knowing your rotations and rebound you can be a good defensive team. Despite size if you have good athletes(we do), and make your rotations you will have inside position and should be able to rebound. I am excited. The days of watching our guys be bullied and playing soft will be over with Pau gone and Byron coaching.
Toklat

Postby LochNessLaker on Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:01 am

A lot depends on how healthy Kobe is, how much production and minutes we can get from Randle and Clarkson in their rookie season, how effective Hill will be getting extended minutes at the 5, the chemistry between Kobe and Lin, what coach we hire and whether he will be able to instill a better system of team defence to cover individual defensive deficiencies.

There are so many variables it's difficult to judge until we see how it all fits together. This team could be anything from 22 to 40 wins IMO. I'm quite optimistic we will be at least a little better.
Better call Saul...
LochNessLaker

Postby Johnnyboy on Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:04 am

This team is much better, but thats not saying much. No dantoni already makes this team better.
Johnnyboy

Postby Armani on Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:15 am

Jeremy Lin and Healthy Kobe make us better, probably. In the long run, though, this question is pointless... being better than last season is not an meaningful achievement. We aren't building a future champion with this roster.
Armani

Postby wolfpaclaker on Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:58 pm

I think so.

Kobe played what 6 games last year? Even if he plays 60, this year, that's at least 6-10 more wins.

Then add we have more of a united group this year, who won't be looking as much to FA as last year. We have some guys in Young, Randle, Kelly etc. who'll be here for a while. They'll not be playing for a contract. Wes and X were here last year.

Unfortunately barring Kobe playing like a superstar again I don't see us making the playoffs in the loaded West. We'd need at least 45-46 wins (maybe more) and I think our realistic bet is something closer to 41. It's not impossible, but going to be very, very tough.
wolfpaclaker

Postby wcsoldier81 on Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:16 am

No not yet ... We'll have to beat Portland on the road
wcsoldier81

Postby Battle Tested20 on Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:20 am

Of course we'll be better than next year
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby jlkr on Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:01 am

Health is crucial. If the team stays healthy, they can get to the 40's in wins. Not likely good enough for the playoffs, but it's better than 27. Scott needs to manage Kobe and Nash minutes Pop-style. Nash will go along, but Kobe might balk.

Lin is definitely an upgrade as is a healthy Kobe. Randle is only potential at the moment while Boozer is a downgrade from Pau. Hill will be given consistent big minutes, can his body handle that and let him produce? Can Young prove last year wasn't a fluke? How much better is Kelly from last year? Can they all stay healthy? Can most of them stay healthy? Can any of them stay healthy? Wait did I mention health already?

Make me pick a number of wins right now? I'll say 42 and 10th in the conference. A bit optimistic, I know. On the bright side, the Rockets' pick will be the 21st hence the Lakers will get it.
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

--Robert Frost
jlkr

Postby therealdeal on Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:07 am

jlkr wrote:Make me pick a number of wins right now? I'll say 42 and 10th in the conference. A bit optimistic, I know. On the bright side, the Rockets' pick will be the 21st hence the Lakers will get it.

It's only a bit optimistic though. If Kobe stays healthy I think that's definitely in their grasp. I would say they can get there if they can gel quickly and have some luck in the health department.

I think 42 is a more likely number than 35 this season. We'll be a better team than most people want to believe.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Savory Griddles on Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:39 pm

therealdeal wrote:
jlkr wrote:Make me pick a number of wins right now? I'll say 42 and 10th in the conference. A bit optimistic, I know. On the bright side, the Rockets' pick will be the 21st hence the Lakers will get it.

It's only a bit optimistic though. If Kobe stays healthy I think that's definitely in their grasp. I would say they can get there if they can gel quickly and have some luck in the health department.

I think 42 is a more likely number than 35 this season. We'll be a better team than most people want to believe.

I'm thinking mid 30s and maybe 40 if everything breaks right for us. I think we make the playoffs if we were in the East and were able to chew up Eastern conference teams all season. But we are going to have stretches where we play 5-6 games in a row against teams legitimately better than us. Those 1-5, 2-4 runs are going to really hurt us.
Savory Griddles

Postby frankdtank on Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:18 pm

Had a tough time, as last year is something I choose not to remember too much of haha. But after reviewing teams side by side this team is BETTER. The more I look at last year's team with D toni, the more I'm shocked at the # of games we did win.

With BScott and Kobe there is going to be a scratch and claw and fight mentality.

A push at .500 if Kobe is so-so is what I expect. If Kobe is what a healthy, older, smarter Kobe can be, we will contend for a playoff spot.
frankdtank

Postby Lakerjones on Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:56 pm

frankdtank wrote:Had a tough time, as last year is something I choose not to remember too much of haha. But after reviewing teams side by side this team is BETTER. The more I look at last year's team with D toni, the more I'm shocked at the # of games we did win.

With BScott and Kobe there is going to be a scratch and claw and fight mentality.

A push at .500 if Kobe is so-so is what I expect. If Kobe is what a healthy, older, smarter Kobe can be, we will contend for a playoff spot.

^^ Agreed pretty much all the way. With Byron at the helm there will be a lot more pride at stake and hopefully we'll have a healthy Kobe to get us competing for a playoff spot. If Kobe's health goes down again we're in a heap of trouble. If he can stay healthy I think we can at least challenge for a playoff run, especially with Scott pushing the team to achieve.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion