is this Laker team better than last year's team?

Re: is this Laker team better than last year's team?

Postby NomisR on Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:51 pm

therealdeal wrote:
Weezy wrote:All depends on Kobe's health for me, real. If he's healthy for most of the season, we're better, if he's not, we're pretty much the same, unless Randle and Davis really surprise, and Lin and Hill step it up big time.

Just based on three facts I think we'll be better:

1. D'Antoni is gone so the rotations will be more stable.
2. D'Antoni is gone so we'll have no more 3 PG rotations.
3. D'Antoni is gone so our bigs will be more effective.



Meh, D'Antoni never really had a stable lineup during his 2 years here to actually have a set rotation. And we were actually lucky to have 3 PG at one point, because we were completely depleted on PG, Chris Duhon even ran point... and we had to pickup players from the D-League. D'antoni's gotten a bad rep because of murphy.. not saying he's great but he was never given the chance the day he got here, because everyone wanted Phil.
NomisR

 
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:42 am

Re: is this Laker team better than last year's team?

Postby therealdeal on Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:19 pm

I could not possibly disagree more.

He didn't have a set rotation last year even when players were healthy. That's his fault.

Duhon was depth at our PG spot, so I'm not sure the relevance there.

Murphy? Murphy gave D'Antoni a bad rep? As in the Murphy that was briefly on our team for one season?

D'Antoni was given an incredible amount of chances regardless of Phil Jackson. He was given a whole f***ing year in which he lead the Lakers to the worst record in franchise history. F*** the idea that we didn't give him a fair shot.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 40322
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: is this Laker team better than last year's team?

Postby Savory Griddles on Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:31 pm

therealdeal wrote:I could not possibly disagree more.

He didn't have a set rotation last year even when players were healthy. That's his fault.

Duhon was depth at our PG spot, so I'm not sure the relevance there.

Murphy? Murphy gave D'Antoni a bad rep? As in the Murphy that was briefly on our team for one season?

D'Antoni was given an incredible amount of chances regardless of Phil Jackson. He was given a whole f***ing year in which he lead the Lakers to the worst record in franchise history. F*** the idea that we didn't give him a fair shot.


I think the answer lies somewhere in the middle. The first season (which was essentially 2/3rds of one) he had quite the mess from Nash maybe coming back, maybe not. Dwight was being a little b**** 85% of the time, and Kobe blew out his achilles. If he doesn't do that, and Blake and Meeks BOTH don't get hurt, are you telling me we don't make the Spurs at least sweat a little bit? As for last season, that roster was pretty awful. Phil Jackson probably gets 10-11 more wins out of that roster tops. That still leaves us 10-12 games out of the playoffs.
User avatar
Savory Griddles

 
Posts: 9048
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:56 am
Location: AV,CA

Re: is this Laker team better than last year's team?

Postby sina on Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:43 am

C: Hill, Davis, Sacre
PF: Boozer, Randle, Kelly
SF: Johnson, Young
SG: Kobe, Henry, Clarkson
PG: Lin, Nash

Addition this summer:
Davis, Boozer, Randle, Clarkson, Lin

Left:
Kaman, Pau, Kent, Meeks, Farmar, Marshall

Davis vs Kaman: similar
Boozer vs Pau: similar. Boozer may not as skilled as Pau is, but his low post scoring ability and mid-range jumper is as reliable as Pau. Randle as a reserve is a major upgrade
Clarkson vs Kent & Meeks: if Kobe is healthy, wing is another major upgrade
Lin vs Farmer & Marshall: better
sina

 
Posts: 421
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2003 10:34 pm

Re: is this Laker team better than last year's team?

Postby lukewaltonsdad on Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:37 am

It will be better than last year...bear in mind, I still think we're going to make changes even up until the trade deadline. As it stands right now, the way our roster is currently constructed, I think we'll see a 10-12 game improvement over last year. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 37-39 wins; improvement nonetheless.
lukewaltonsdad

 
Posts: 800
Joined: Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:14 am

Re: is this Laker team better than last year's team?

Postby LakersN4 on Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:40 am

This years team is a much better fit with Kobe, but would be worse if Kobe is out again, if that makes any sense.
LakersN4

 
Posts: 2514
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:55 am

Re: is this Laker team better than last year's team?

Postby Savory Griddles on Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:40 am

LakersN4 wrote:This years team is a much better fit with Kobe, but would be worse if Kobe is out again, if that makes any sense.


It makes zero sense. Why are you so confusing? So unarticulatable. :man2:


:man12:
User avatar
Savory Griddles

 
Posts: 9048
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:56 am
Location: AV,CA

Re: is this Laker team better than last year's team?

Postby LakersN4 on Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:06 pm

Image
LakersN4

 
Posts: 2514
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:55 am

Re: is this Laker team better than last year's team?

Postby Rooscooter on Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:11 pm

MDA or Scott.... not really a difference from a coaching standpoint in that neither are difference makers. Both have had some success and both have failed miserably. MDA ball was entertaining from time to time and we won a few games last year we had no business being within 20 in and we lost a few of the ugliest games I've seen in all my years following the team. That's what MDA brings.... Scott will have a system that will rely less on hot streaks and more on the players ability in a half court system.... that doesn't bode well IMHO for us. This team can surprise in a dynamic situation but they will disappoint playing a fundamental system. Too many disparate parts being tossed together by circumstance.

We'll see.... I'm not sure we're much better and so much of it will be on Kobe's health and Randle's contributions.... both no one really knows.
"If the past sits in judgment on the present, the future will be lost." Winston Churchill

“The prospect of domination of the nation's scholars by Federal employment, project allocations, and the power of money is ever present - and is gravely to be regarded." Dwight Eisenhower

"Socialism in general has a record of failure so blatant that only an intellectual could ignore or evade it" Thomas Sowell
User avatar
Rooscooter

 
Posts: 23107
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:25 pm
Location: Chandler AZ and Andalué

Re: is this Laker team better than last year's team?

Postby LTLakerFan on Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:21 pm

Are you forgetting the horrendous rotations, random minutes, random benchings and DNPs that Brown and 'antoni pulled out of their butts for the last 3 years. That is now gone. That is a huge difference to the plus side, if nothing else.
LTLakerFan

 
Posts: 6487
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:44 pm
Location: SoCal

Re: is this Laker team better than last year's team?

Postby Rooscooter on Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:27 pm

LTLakerFan wrote:Are you forgetting the horrendous rotations, random minutes, random benchings and DNPs that Brown and 'antoni pulled out of their butts for the last 3 years. That is now gone. That is a huge difference to the plus side, if nothing else.


No... not forgetting it at all. MDA is an average coach.... so is Scott. MDA's system actually plays a little better to teams tossed together IMHO over a structured approach like Scott's.

.... and how do you know it's gone? Scott has played favorites over the years as well.

I still contend the coach isn't really that important until we have a team ready to actually contend again... Scott won't be here by then so to me it's not really a factor. I'll watch the games if MDA was still coaching and I'd watch if Scott is... I don't follow the Lakers to watch the coach.
"If the past sits in judgment on the present, the future will be lost." Winston Churchill

“The prospect of domination of the nation's scholars by Federal employment, project allocations, and the power of money is ever present - and is gravely to be regarded." Dwight Eisenhower

"Socialism in general has a record of failure so blatant that only an intellectual could ignore or evade it" Thomas Sowell
User avatar
Rooscooter

 
Posts: 23107
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:25 pm
Location: Chandler AZ and Andalué

Re: is this Laker team better than last year's team?

Postby Savory Griddles on Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:30 pm

LTLakerFan wrote:Are you forgetting the horrendous rotations, random minutes, random benchings and DNPs that Brown and 'antoni pulled out of their butts for the last 3 years. That is now gone. That is a huge difference to the plus side, if nothing else.


Scott is a better overall coach than D'Antoni, imo. But I think what Roo was trying to say was D'Antoni's system allowed us to win some games we never would have won because his system maximizes a hot shooting team. These are NBA players and any of them can get hot. D'Antoni's system isn't going to be consistent or anything, but for those nights when we get hot, his system makes us unstoppable.
User avatar
Savory Griddles

 
Posts: 9048
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:56 am
Location: AV,CA

Re: is this Laker team better than last year's team?

Postby therealdeal on Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:35 pm

Savory Griddles wrote:
LTLakerFan wrote:Are you forgetting the horrendous rotations, random minutes, random benchings and DNPs that Brown and 'antoni pulled out of their butts for the last 3 years. That is now gone. That is a huge difference to the plus side, if nothing else.


Scott is a better overall coach than D'Antoni, imo. But I think what Roo was trying to say was D'Antoni's system allowed us to win some games we never would have won because his system maximizes a hot shooting team. These are NBA players and any of them can get hot. D'Antoni's system isn't going to be consistent or anything, but for those nights when we get hot, his system makes us unstoppable.

I agree, but at the same time a coach that instills a system or at least a demeanor/attitude will have teams winning games they shouldn't win for the right reasons.

I think this team will really adopt that nasty underdog feel and will win games with grit and heart this season. Unlike last season where we won games just based on if Meeks could outscore the amount of points he gave up.

Overall the outcome could end up being the same, but it really depends on the pieces at hand. A good coach maximizes his talent and that means he'll only get you so far as the talent on the team. Our team has a bunch of young guys, but not a lot of proven talent so it can be assumed Scott won't take us to the top of the mountain with this group... but hopefully he can instill that Riley feel into the team where we come out with fire and heart every night.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 40322
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: is this Laker team better than last year's team?

Postby Rooscooter on Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:42 pm

The Riley feel!?.... :man10: Scott was one of the guys getting ready for a full revolt when Riley left.... In fact just about everyone was ready for Riley to leave.
"If the past sits in judgment on the present, the future will be lost." Winston Churchill

“The prospect of domination of the nation's scholars by Federal employment, project allocations, and the power of money is ever present - and is gravely to be regarded." Dwight Eisenhower

"Socialism in general has a record of failure so blatant that only an intellectual could ignore or evade it" Thomas Sowell
User avatar
Rooscooter

 
Posts: 23107
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:25 pm
Location: Chandler AZ and Andalué

Re: is this Laker team better than last year's team?

Postby Savory Griddles on Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:44 pm

therealdeal wrote:
Savory Griddles wrote:
LTLakerFan wrote:Are you forgetting the horrendous rotations, random minutes, random benchings and DNPs that Brown and 'antoni pulled out of their butts for the last 3 years. That is now gone. That is a huge difference to the plus side, if nothing else.


Scott is a better overall coach than D'Antoni, imo. But I think what Roo was trying to say was D'Antoni's system allowed us to win some games we never would have won because his system maximizes a hot shooting team. These are NBA players and any of them can get hot. D'Antoni's system isn't going to be consistent or anything, but for those nights when we get hot, his system makes us unstoppable.

I agree, but at the same time a coach that instills a system or at least a demeanor/attitude will have teams winning games they shouldn't win for the right reasons.

I think this team will really adopt that nasty underdog feel and will win games with grit and heart this season. Unlike last season where we won games just based on if Meeks could outscore the amount of points he gave up.

Overall the outcome could end up being the same, but it really depends on the pieces at hand. A good coach maximizes his talent and that means he'll only get you so far as the talent on the team. Our team has a bunch of young guys, but not a lot of proven talent so it can be assumed Scott won't take us to the top of the mountain with this group... but hopefully he can instill that Riley feel into the team where we come out with fire and heart every night.


I agree, but as much crap as D'Antoni gets, his system probably won us 4-5 games last season that any other system wouldn't have. Of course at the same time, his system probably lost us 10-15 games that another system may not have. :man10: But hey. That system got us Randle. :jam2:
User avatar
Savory Griddles

 
Posts: 9048
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:56 am
Location: AV,CA

Re: is this Laker team better than last year's team?

Postby therealdeal on Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:14 pm

Rooscooter wrote:The Riley feel!?.... :man10: Scott was one of the guys getting ready for a full revolt when Riley left.... In fact just about everyone was ready for Riley to leave.

Of course and that's almost exactly the same kind of coach that Byron has become. Every situation Byron has left has been under similar circumstances where he's outworn his welcome in some fashion.

Just because Riley wore on his guys doesn't mean he was a bad coach or a bad fit for that team. In fact they all look back on him with a great deal of respect. Scott has said previously that he's coaches the same way Riley did: demanding.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 40322
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: is this Laker team better than last year's team?

Postby therealdeal on Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:15 pm

Savory Griddles wrote:
therealdeal wrote:
Savory Griddles wrote:
LTLakerFan wrote:Are you forgetting the horrendous rotations, random minutes, random benchings and DNPs that Brown and 'antoni pulled out of their butts for the last 3 years. That is now gone. That is a huge difference to the plus side, if nothing else.


Scott is a better overall coach than D'Antoni, imo. But I think what Roo was trying to say was D'Antoni's system allowed us to win some games we never would have won because his system maximizes a hot shooting team. These are NBA players and any of them can get hot. D'Antoni's system isn't going to be consistent or anything, but for those nights when we get hot, his system makes us unstoppable.

I agree, but at the same time a coach that instills a system or at least a demeanor/attitude will have teams winning games they shouldn't win for the right reasons.

I think this team will really adopt that nasty underdog feel and will win games with grit and heart this season. Unlike last season where we won games just based on if Meeks could outscore the amount of points he gave up.

Overall the outcome could end up being the same, but it really depends on the pieces at hand. A good coach maximizes his talent and that means he'll only get you so far as the talent on the team. Our team has a bunch of young guys, but not a lot of proven talent so it can be assumed Scott won't take us to the top of the mountain with this group... but hopefully he can instill that Riley feel into the team where we come out with fire and heart every night.


I agree, but as much crap as D'Antoni gets, his system probably won us 4-5 games last season that any other system wouldn't have. Of course at the same time, his system probably lost us 10-15 games that another system may not have. :man10: But hey. That system got us Randle. :jam2:

Yeah I mean it's all water under the bridge at this point. Oh well right?

The one thing I can't wait for is a coach that a) knows how to deal with the media and b) knows how to demand the best from his team.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 40322
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: is this Laker team better than last year's team?

Postby LTLakerFan on Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:38 pm

I do miss Potato sitting at the post game pressers after defeats, head down, reading from the box score. Got to give him that. Following Phil it was a breath of fresh air. :man10:
LTLakerFan

 
Posts: 6487
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:44 pm
Location: SoCal

Re: is this Laker team better than last year's team?

Postby davriver290 on Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:37 pm

If we can develop some damn energy and hustle, there's no reason why we can't make the playoffs... We have some pretty good talent. We need some energy, hustle and a goddamn defensive system. We have those, the offense will come and we will look great!
Sessions, Kobe, Metta, Gasol, Bynum
User avatar
davriver290

 
Posts: 5711
Joined: Sat Jun 17, 2006 3:14 pm

Re: is this Laker team better than last year's team?

Postby sina on Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:54 pm

It really depends on the health of Kobe
sina

 
Posts: 421
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2003 10:34 pm

Re: is this Laker team better than last year's team?

Postby Lets Go Lakers on Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:25 pm

sina wrote:It really depends on the health of Kobe


No, it really doesn't. Kobe could be out the entire year and I still think we win more games than last year. We have some young pieces this year we did not have last year (Randle, Clarkson, Lin and Davis) and upgraded with Booz over Gasol (yes, it's an upgrade. Gasol was a joke). And we will run a system that will compliment the talent and a coach that will stress defense. Then there are additional guys who still might improve in X, Wes and Hill. Not to mention, Swaggy scoring off the bench and igniting the Staples crowd.
User avatar
Lets Go Lakers

 
Posts: 2917
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:25 pm

Re: is this Laker team better than last year's team?

Postby LakerJack on Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:34 am

"Booz over Gasol" :man10:
This is not the optimistic thread.
All time Lakers team: Magic, Kobe, West, Worthy and Chamberlain.
User avatar
LakerJack

 
Posts: 151
Joined: Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:22 pm

Re: is this Laker team better than last year's team?

Postby sina on Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:06 am

Boozer over Gasol? And Lin over Blake, Farmar and Marshall? Agreed Randle is an upgrade but not be material though.
sina

 
Posts: 421
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2003 10:34 pm

Re: is this Laker team better than last year's team?

Postby SOAD on Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:44 am

sina wrote: And Lin over Blake, Farmar and Marshall?


Lin is a better PG than all three of those guys. But our PG depth is worse since Nash and Clarkson are question marks.
SIXTEEN
User avatar
SOAD
Club-Dodgers.com Admin
 
Posts: 14517
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:12 am

Re: is this Laker team better than last year's team?

Postby trodgers on Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:24 am

Lin over Blake, Farmar, and Marshall. All. Day. Long.

Shooting
.403-.388-.783 SB
.425-.375-.730 JF
.396-.375-.540 KM
.442-.343-.801 JL
-Lin is tops in FG% and FT%

Pts, Ast, Reb
9.9-5.8-3.1 SB
14.4-5.4-3.6 JF
9.9-9.8-3.2 KM
15.6-6.4-3.5 JL
-Lin is tops in points, 2nd in assists, and second in rebounds.
twitter.com/lakersballtweet lakersball.com
User avatar
trodgers
Site Manager
 
Posts: 46636
Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2004 6:31 pm
Location: Orlando

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 13 guests

cron
Advertise Here | Privacy Policy | ©2008 Sculu Sports. Come Strong.