So... time for the road trip...

Re: So... time for the road trip...

Postby Jazzygirl205 on Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:59 am

I don't know Charlotte seems to always have our number no matter what our roster looks like. So they have to be careful when playing them as well or it could be a 3 loss road trip.
Jazzygirl205

Postby wcsoldier81 on Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:31 am

Anything less than 5-2 is a setback ...

I hope we can "steal" one at BK or South Beach
wcsoldier81

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:06 am

LOS ANGELES -- Through the first 45 games of the season, the Los Angeles Lakers have changed their identity more often than an awards-show host changes his or her wardrobe.

First, they were the juggernaut full of Hall of Famers hell-bent on returning the title to L.A.

Then they were the group going through growing pains with an 0-8 preseason and a 1-4 record out of the gate.

Then a rudderless boat without a captain after Mike Brown was fired and Phil Jackson was bypassed.

Then an inconsistent bunch waiting for salvation in the form of the return of Steve Nash from injury to run the stuff new coach Mike D'Antoni wanted.

Then a team seemingly on track by Christmas before next looking like a bunch of mismatched parts that just couldn't find a way to win for most of January.

Now? They're the team that already hit rock bottom and has won three games in a row.

Next? They'll see if they can continue the pass-happy, defense-energized persona they've assumed by testing it with a seven-game, 12-day road trip. If they come out of the trip having done the same things and played the same way, they can ride that identity through the regular season straight into the playoffs.

If they stumble and their 5-15 road record to this point gets even worse, their next identity could be determined by a major trade as a desperate attempt to find a winning mix.

"In order for us to get to where we need to get to, we're going to have to win on the road," said Antawn Jamison, whose individual season -- from major minutes to DNPs to 16 points off the bench in Wednesday's 111-106 win over the New Orleans Hornets -- has been a microcosm of the Lakers' season. "This is pretty much the most important road trip for us, the most important stretch of the season for us. We don't have another extra 15 to 20 games to get things going. In order for us to finally be the team that we need to be and finally turn this thing around, it has to be numerous wins on the road."

Just how numerous? Even with their three-game winning streak, L.A. is still just 20-25 overall, four games behind No. 8 Houston. The Lakers can't be satisfied with going 4-3 on the trip, even if that would be drastically better than their .250 winning percentage away from Staples Center so far. It has to be 5-2, 6-1 or even ...

"My expectations right now, and I don't want to sound crazy ... I think we can win every game, always," D'Antoni said after the Hornets win, in which the Lakers had 34 assists on 39 baskets and held their third straight opponent to sub-44 percent shooting from the field. "With the group that we have, you play like this, you can win every game."

Let's not forget where the Lakers were just less than two weeks ago when they went out on the road on the heels of two wins against Milwaukee and Cleveland and a nip-and-tuck loss to the world-champion Miami Heat and bottomed out with an 0-3 trip.

To legitimize the almost overnight transformation the team has shown since that air-it-out meeting in Memphis, they have to prove it in Phoenix, in Minnesota, in Detroit, in Brooklyn, in Boston, in Charlotte and in Miami.

"At some point, we have to be a good road team if we're going to make the playoffs," Steve Nash said. "We have to win at home and on the road. So, it doesn't matter how they come. We're playing better basketball and we have to go out on the road and prove it."

There is still plenty to prove. For as good as the Lakers should feel about their three-game winning streak, the fact is they almost lost to a 15-30 Hornets team by twice blowing an 18-point lead. And all that team camaraderie they built up might have been compromised by D'Antoni's benching Pau Gasol in the fourth quarter, leading to Gasol's griping about it in the locker room afterward.

Maybe the seven-city setting will help mend that. Maybe it will only isolate guys once again.

"The road is really a good place to bond together as a group even more," said Kobe Bryant, who will be challenged to keep up his distributing ways after 11 more assists Tuesday brought his three-game total to 39 -- the highest three-game stretch for assists in his 17-year career. "It's an environment where everybody is rooting against you. It's pretty much us against the world."

Is now the time for a team that has stumbled so much already this season to really want to be taking on a challenge like this?

"You just got to go out there and see what you got," Bryant said. "It's not something that I'm worried about. It's not something that makes me nervous. You got to go out there and see what you got."

This road trip will tell them either they've finally got an identity that will stick, or they have a team that is still searching for something it will never find.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/stor ... -game-trip
dwighthowardsdad

Postby 432J on Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:15 am

there's no reason why they shouldn't go 6-1

miami is the only team that they should lose to out of all those teams, but if they play like they have lately they could beat miami for sure. all the other teams they should beat
432J

Postby therealdeal on Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:35 am

They'll have a tough game tomorrow night and pull out a win late.

They'll beat Minnesota fairly easily, maybe not double digits but controlled more or less.

They'll blow out Detroit in Detroit.

They'll struggle against Brooklyn, but win in the second half.

They'll beat Boston in a slugfest.

They'll beat Charlotte by controlling the tempo (it'll be similar to the Pelicans game)

They'll lose to Miami in the 3rd quarter and spend the 4th quarter catching up. I don't know that they'll catch them.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Ice-Fire on Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:41 am

therealdeal wrote:They'll have a tough game tomorrow night and pull out a win late.

I can see that happening, but if Dragic goes off for 25-30pts it's gonna be a long night.

therealdeal wrote:They'll lose to Miami in the 3rd quarter and spend the 4th quarter catching up. I don't know that they'll catch them.

Well, I don't think anyone with a brain gave the Lakers any chance against the Thunder and we basically controlled the game through-out, it can happen in Mimai if we don't let Turnovers kill us like it did last time the Heat were here.
Ice-Fire

Postby Lakerjones on Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:45 am

Let's win a lot. That would be great.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby ramsay13 on Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:49 am

PHX W
MIN W
DET W
BKN L
BOS L
CHA W
MIA L
ramsay13

Postby therealdeal on Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:52 am

Ice-Fire wrote:
therealdeal wrote:They'll have a tough game tomorrow night and pull out a win late.

I can see that happening, but if Dragic goes off for 25-30pts it's gonna be a long night.

therealdeal wrote:They'll lose to Miami in the 3rd quarter and spend the 4th quarter catching up. I don't know that they'll catch them.

Well, I don't think anyone with a brain gave the Lakers any chance against the Thunder and we basically controlled the game through-out, it can happen in Mimai if we don't let Turnovers kill us like it did last time the Heat were here.

The Heat at home will be a different beast, even more energy and more fire. Plus, they'll be wanting to stamp out the whole "Lakers are back" story.

I don't see us winning that game, hopefully I'm wrong. As for Dragic? We should just switch Artest onto him. Have Nash guard their 2 (Shannon I think) and have Kobe on Dudley/Beasley. Dragic I think will have his usual game, but as long as he's not assisting everyone else, we'll be fine.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Chillbongo on Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:10 am

This road trip isn't that bad in the sense that there's only ONE back-to-back.

It's next Friday at Charlotte. I honestly think that one is going to be the loss given that we will arrive in Charlotte at like 3AM and we always struggle there.

I think we take the BKN game. Miami at home is tough -- to win we need a huge showing from Dwight.

Banking on 6-1.
Chillbongo

Postby Ice-Fire on Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:13 am

Charlotte seems like a automatic loss to me.
Ice-Fire

Postby jlkr on Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:38 am

They need to go 5-2 on this trip, that would bring them up to 25-27 and within a short distance to the 8th spot. Further, this is the beginning of a brutal two months in which 19 of their next 29 games are on the road. That takes them to the end of March before they get to finish the season with just 2 road games in April. So they have to go 5-2 here because 12 of their 22 games following the trip are also on the road. If they're getting into the playoffs they have to win a lot of road games. Hence, gotta set that @$#%@^ road warrior tone now.

It's absolutely vital to open with a win in Phoenix. They recently beat the Clips at Staples so they are not quite the pushovers they were earlier. So this is a *must* win game right here, right now, tonight. The defense has to show up. The bench has to show up. Pau's gotta put away his hankies. Then they gotta follow through with wins at Minny and Detroit. I can accept a loss at Miami and one of Boston or Brooklyn as long as they get by Charlotte and the other of BOS and BKN. A road win over at least one of Boston, Brooklyn or Miami would be a nice statement.
Last edited by jlkr on Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

--Robert Frost
jlkr

Postby Juronimo on Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:40 am

I don't know how we'll do, but considering we've been abysmal on the road, I think at best we go 2-5. I'd love to be wrong but I just don't think we've turned the corner. Lulls like we had in the 4th quarter last night would mean a loss on the road.

Ferguson, we hear you.
RIP Mike Brown.
Juronimo

Postby gcclaker on Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:44 am

Juronimo wrote:I don't know how we'll do, but considering we've been abysmal on the road, I think at best we go 2-5. I'd love to be wrong but I just don't think we've turned the corner. Lulls like we had in the 4th quarter last night would mean a loss on the road.

The main thing is hoping it is NOT lost on the crew that this road trip could make or break the season. At least they are heading out feeling better about themselves. I also see we get THOSE CLOWNS on this set.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:12 pm

Juronimo wrote:I don't know how we'll do, but considering we've been abysmal on the road, I think at best we go 2-5. I'd love to be wrong but I just don't think we've turned the corner. Lulls like we had in the 4th quarter last night would mean a loss on the road.

You're so depressing sometimes...
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Juronimo on Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:13 pm

therealdeal wrote:

This season has been depressing.

Ferguson, we hear you.
RIP Mike Brown.
Juronimo

Postby KB24 on Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:14 pm

If we win less than 4 of 7 games, you can kiss ANY hope goodbye to make the post-season. To be honest the team needs to go 5-2 or better.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby Chillbongo on Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:17 pm

^ Agreed. Weak competition on the road trip + only one back-to-back has me optimistic :jam2:

6-1? Or should I be posting in the freedom thread? :man10:
Chillbongo

Postby therealdeal on Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:21 pm

Juronimo wrote:
therealdeal wrote:

This season has been depressing.

:man10:

That's why you have to work to stay positive.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby JLaker17 on Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:28 pm

If we keep playing with this ball movement and effort, this team can go on a serious run. Even with that it seems more likely to be 5-2, but it really could go either way as we don't know which team will continue to show up.
JLaker17

Postby laker911 on Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:32 pm

We also have the Mavs to worry about.
laker911

Postby The Laker Link on Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:21 pm

karacha wrote:... can we do, say, 5-2?

Would that be good in your eyes? Are we now focused enough? Feel free to discuss all the matchups:

PHX
MIN
DET
BKN
BOS
CHA
MIA

That's not a bad schedule. What kind of adjustments do we have to make after these three consecutive wins? Who do we need to defend really well on this trip?

I think we could do: WWW, L, WW, L.

I was thinking we could beat Brooklyn and might lose to Boston, but 5-2 seems reasonable. I can't see why, with this system they couldn't go 7-0 but to be realistic, I think 5 and 2 is right.
The Laker Link

Postby KBJelleyBean24 on Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:30 pm

Showtime.Revival.05 wrote:i dont see any reason we cant go 7-0 or 6-1. miami is clearly the biggest challenge but if we keep playing as we have been, every game is winnable
I should get an assist for that. It's an intentional pass to oneself, so it's an assist. That way people can't say all I do is shoot.
-Kobe on passing the ball to himself off the backboard.
KBJelleyBean24

Postby Nikez on Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:31 pm

I'm just glad they finally are getting a sense of urgency, and realizing the magnitude of EVERY GAME.
Before long, someone recognized Phil Jackson sitting in the front seat, and then the rocks began to fly. Revelers pelted the bus and shook it, mocking the Lakers at their lowest moment.

It was painful,” Lakers forward Pau Gasol(notes) said. “It is a feeling that I want to keep in my mind for every single minute that I’m out there playing them.
Nikez

Postby Ice-Fire on Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:51 pm

laker911 wrote:We also have the Mavs to worry about.

Maybe before the Portland game... Yes... but after they blew a 20 point lead against the Blazers and had a bad last second loss at the Buzzer, I think mentally they are finished... quite frankly... I think the Lakers @ Portland game in April is gonna decide our playoff hopes... which is gonna suck because we never win up their.
Ice-Fire

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion