LA TIMES ARTICLE ON PAYTON, July 9, 2003.

LA TIMES ARTICLE ON PAYTON, July 9, 2003.

Postby Kobe_One_Kenobi_8 on Wed Jul 09, 2003 3:05 am

July 9, 2003. LA TIMES.

I JUST TOOK THE HIGHLIGHT OF A LONG ARTICLE.

Gary Payton unofficially became a Laker Tuesday, committing for next season and perhaps beyond, joining Shaquille O'Neal and Kobe Bryant on what in the next few days could become one of the great NBA rosters assembled.

NBA regulations forbid teams from signing free agents until July 16, but on Tuesday afternoon Payton telephoned Laker General Manager Mitch Kupchak and told him to expect him for next season, Payton's agent said.

Karl Malone, who also is fielding interest from the San Antonio Spurs and Sacramento Kings, could join him as early as today.

Payton has said he would accept the Lakers' mid-level exception, which probably will be worth about $4.8 million. The Lakers offered that as a starting point to a four-year contract, though Payton might prefer a shorter deal, perhaps for one guaranteed year and an option.

"The basis of the conversations we had," Goodwin said, "was that Gary had a chance to make money or a chance to make history.

"He didn't want to let Karl down, either. He looked at this as an opportunity for both of them I know that Karl being there was one of the reasons he made his decision."

This is a great article by Tim Brown. Make sure to read the entire written article.

Here is the site address:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-lak ... tory?colly.

"He didn't want to let Karl down, either. He looked at this as an opportunity for both of them I know that Karl being there was one of the reasons he made his decision."

This is a great article by Tim Brown. Make sure to read the entire written article.

Here is the site address:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-lak ... nes-sports

Courtesy of LA TIMES.
Written by Tim Brown.
Kobe_One_Kenobi_8

Return to Lakers Discussion