Trade Deadline Discussion: rumors, rumblings, ruminations

Re: Trade Deadline Discussion: rumors, rumblings, ruminations

Postby therealdeal on Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:42 pm

^ To be fair, the package that the Hornets eventually got was a better package.

But what's shady to me is that the Clippers (and every other team in the league) had the ability to go get Paul. We, the Lakers, actually took the chance and did what was necessary and then were punished for it.

Then somehow the Clippers wise up and make that deal? Why did they suddenly get wise for that deal? What changed between the Lakers' rejection and the Clippers' understanding that Paul was available? Their deal was definitely better, so why didn't they offer it sooner?

To me, the league gave them notice and said "make an offer, we want Paul in LA on the Clippers". I'm not one for conspiracy theories, but that's mine.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Chillbongo on Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:53 pm

Hmm...it's possible. This was right after the collective bargaining agreements though, remember? Why would Stern gift wrap a superstar to Los Angeles, when the likes of Dan Gilbert had cried foul about stars always ending up in the big markets?

Definitely possible that the Clips were tipped off. But wouldn't the Clippers want Chris Paul anyways? Or did they just need "approval" from the NBA that their half a** offer of Eric Gordon was enough?
Chillbongo

Postby cleverdevil on Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:56 pm

therealdeal wrote:^ To be fair, the package that the Hornets eventually got was a better package.

But what's shady to me is that the Clippers (and every other team in the league) had the ability to go get Paul. We, the Lakers, actually took the chance and did what was necessary and then were punished for it.

Then somehow the Clippers wise up and make that deal? Why did they suddenly get wise for that deal? What changed between the Lakers' rejection and the Clippers' understanding that Paul was available? Their deal was definitely better, so why didn't they offer it sooner?

To me, the league gave them notice and said "make an offer, we want Paul in LA on the Clippers". I'm not one for conspiracy theories, but that's mine.

Possibly, personally I'm not one for conspiracy theories. As you said, the package the Clippers sent was probably better, but we will never know what moves could have been made post Lakers deal. Sure, it was a huge conflict of interest for the NBA to own the Hornets, but Stern was technically, circumstances being what they were, well within his right as the owner of the team to overrule his DoBO, as infuriating as it is to say.
cleverdevil

Postby therealdeal on Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:02 pm

cleverdevil wrote:
therealdeal wrote:^ To be fair, the package that the Hornets eventually got was a better package.

Possibly, personally I'm not one for conspiracy theories. As you said, the package the Clippers sent was probably better, but we will never know what moves could have been made post Lakers deal. Sure, it was a huge conflict of interest for the NBA to own the Hornets, but Stern was technically, circumstances being what they were, well within his right as the owner of the team to overrule his DoBO, as infuriating as it is to say.

The point is that he should never have been in that position. Just the mere fact that the owner of a team, even temporarily, is given the ability to manipulate the league is the most extreme conflict of interest you can have in the NBA. I mean seriously, that's the biggest point. How in the world Stern could be "objective" is just absolutely awful.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:02 pm

To me it was bad timing. I know you have to jump on these deals before someone tries to scoop you, but trying to consummate the deal while the league of owners were all together, signing off on a new agreement that was obviously anti-Laker? Waiting a day, when the deal's already been signed, could have made all of the difference.

I don't think it was just Stern saying "I don't want this", it was the league of owners, all together at the meeting where they were going to sign/approve the new CBA, hearing of the deal the Lakers were about to do, and probably claiming that they wouldn't sign unless Stern vetoes it. That's why I think waiting that extra day would have made all the difference.
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

Postby lotus on Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:05 pm

This is probably posted elsewhere, but you can never have too much truth.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/jim-buss-ruining-lakers-examining-slow-painful-path-215400296--nba.html
lotus

Postby Chillbongo on Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:28 pm

cleverdevil wrote:
that a Diop/Gordon/unprotected (lotto) pick is a great get. Maybe Mitch proves me completely wrong and somehow manufactures a deal to bring in a Rudy Gay, and I will not lose one wink of sleep knowing that I was wrong. I just don't see it.

Can you explain to me why that is a "great get" though? I can't see it. To my understanding, Gordon is owed something like $13M through next year (player option), and Diop is literally garbage. The draft pick makes it better but this is a weak draft.

Forget the Pau on this team, with this roster, his defense, and forget his whining. Even in the most dysfunctional roster state possible in the NBA, he's averaging 12 points, 8 boards, 4 assists, and almost 1.5 blocks per game.

If Earl Clark was doing that, we'd all be sh*****g ourselves silly....(oh wait) and would keep him. Pau needs to go no doubt, but we can do better. He's still a quality big (not high quality) and if you pair him with the right team, his defense mishaps are lessened.
Chillbongo

Postby cleverdevil on Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:46 pm

Chillbongo wrote:
cleverdevil wrote:
that a Diop/Gordon/unprotected (lotto) pick is a great get. Maybe Mitch proves me completely wrong and somehow manufactures a deal to bring in a Rudy Gay, and I will not lose one wink of sleep knowing that I was wrong. I just don't see it.

Can you explain to me why that is a "great get" though? I can't see it. To my understanding, Gordon is owed something like $13M through next year (player option), and Diop is literally garbage. The draft pick makes it better but this is a weak draft.

Forget the Pau on this team, with this roster, his defense, and forget his whining. Even in the most dysfunctional roster state possible in the NBA, he's averaging 12 points, 8 boards, 4 assists, and almost 1.5 blocks per game.

If Earl Clark was doing that, we'd all be sh*****g ourselves silly....(oh wait) and would keep him. Pau needs to go no doubt, but we can do better. He's still a quality big (not high quality) and if you pair him with the right team, his defense mishaps are lessened.

Yes, my post earlier brought to light that Gordon has a $13.2 PO next year. Diop is done after the season. Truthfully, the only reason it would be a great get was the high lotto pick. I would prefer not to trade Pau this year. There is nothing that Pau brings in THIS YEAR to spark a title run. The Charlotte trade brings a 13.2 mil expiring and possibly a Shabazz or Noel type prospect for next year.
cleverdevil

Postby JGC on Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:51 pm

Well, or it's a variation of that. I mean, it's possible the deal with the Lakers went through because we were the first to make a reasonable offer for Paul. When the Hornets decided they actually didn't want to do that trade because they wanted younger players/pieces instead, maybe they contacted the Clippers because the Clippers had the younger players/pieces needed to make a deal that was amenable to both sides. I just don't believe in conspiracy theories. I mean, the league stands to lose a lot by us not even being competitive so they would at least want us in the playoffs.
JGC

Postby thkthebest on Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:54 pm

Clippers didn't want to trade Eric Gordon at first. I think the GM had to convince the owner that trading all those assets for Paul was the right thing to do (obviously).

In addition to that, at the time, Dell Demps really thought that the Lakers trade was awesome. He was all excited and proud of it.
My signature
thkthebest

Postby Doc Brown on Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:13 pm

Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby JGC on Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:16 pm

Grizz completed a salary dump trade today in order to retain Gay.
JGC

Re: Rumor: Gasol could be headed to Charlotte

Postby Battle Tested20 on Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:48 pm

John3:16 wrote:
nameant wrote:A.T.G.R.O.P.

I'm sorry to be the retard in the group but what does this mean :man11:

Edit: After reading Page 1 and going to Page 2, it was answered
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby khmrP on Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:07 pm

can't be believe a troll thread became an official thread :man10:
khmrP

Postby dj vitus on Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:37 pm

khmrP wrote:can't be believe a troll thread became an official thread :man10:

I was saving my Sherry Bobbins vid for a locked troll thread. :bang:
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
dj vitus

Postby hdtvset on Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:20 pm

Didn't Mitch say the Lakers are not going to hit another home run after the Nash's trade? Later they traded for Howard.

They don't need to hit another home run now. Just try to steal home from the 3rd base with this trade. We get the power forward we wanted it, and they get the all-star center in return.
(heard it from the radio this morning the Lakers are saving Pau for next year and try to make this trade happen) :man13:

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=8ytu3up
hdtvset

Postby Battle Tested20 on Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:26 pm

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=a5dy3cv

I'm not going to lie, but I really like this trade idea. What do you guys think??

C - Pau, Sacre
PF - Love, Jamison
SF- MWP, AK-47
SG - Kobe, Brooks
PG - Nash, Blake
Last edited by Battle Tested20 on Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Battle Tested20

Postby Pig Miller on Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:28 pm

^not the worst trade, but the wolves get stuck with some garbage for arguably the best PF in the league.

lopez is a stiff, and humphries is an overpaid role player.
Pig Miller

Postby Battle Tested20 on Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:37 pm

Pig Miller wrote:^not the worst trade, but the wolves get stuck with some garbage for arguably the best PF in the league.

lopez is a stiff, and humphries is an overpaid role player.

Yeah, I agree and instead of losing D. Williams as well we might have to give the T-wolves or the Net's give them another piece instead. I didn't come up with the trade idea, saw it somewhere else.
Battle Tested20

Postby lakersin4 on Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:11 pm

Battle Tested20 wrote:http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=a5dy3cv

I'm not going to lie, but I really like this trade idea. What do you guys think??

C - Pau, Sacre
PF - Love, Jamison
SF- MWP, AK-47
SG - Kobe, Brooks
PG - Nash, Blake

I like it.. I wouldn't rule us out for the playoffs this year even. Start AK at PF until Love is back. Brooks would be a huge lift for our bench.
lakersin4

Postby Vlade_12 on Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:43 pm

this trade works in the ESPN CHECKER
Mega deal

3 Team trade ATL, SAC, LA
Kings Outgoing: Cousins Center, PG Aaron Brooks, SF John Salmons, SG Francisco Garcia, Tyler Honeycutt SF
Hawks Outgoing: Al Hortford C, Josh Smith PF, Anthony Tolliver, Jannero Pargo PG, Mike Scott SG,
Lakers: Dwight Howard C, Steve Blake PG, Devin Ebanks SF

Kings Incoming: Al Hortford PF, Hawks 1st round pick, Mike Scott SG, Pargo PG, Devin Ebanks SF
Lakers Incoming: Aaron Brooks, Demarcus Cousins C, Tyler Honeycutt SF, Josh Smith PF
Hawks Incoming: Dwight Howard C, SF John Salmons, SG Garcia, Steve Blake PG, Chuck Hayes

Kings Lineup
Hortford
Thompson TRob
Johnson Ebanks
Tyreke Thornton
Thomas Jimmer
Shed money, helps tanks, swap out Cousins who is talented but immature, add another 1st pick. Tank so they get a new face of their Supersonic franchise. A star swingman

Lakers
Cousins Sacre
Gasol Josh Smith
MWP Clark
Kobe Meeks
Nash Brooks
Roll the dice with added talent at a quick pg, a big man who has a post game and can shoot, and Josh Smith. Could still ship out Gasol for more wing help. I like Cousins he needs to grow up like Dwight but he isnt happy with his team. Honeycutt has potential too.

Atlanta
Dwight Landry
Zaza Tolliver
Korver Morrow
Salmons Lou Williams
Teague Devin Harris
Would need to add a 4, maybe sign Kenyon Martin? But Dwight back hoom with Teague and Lou WIlliams would be enticing for the Hawks in the future, but he would also have two great shooters in Morrow and Korver
Atlanta and Supersonics need a shake up, and have disgruntled stars. Dwight would land home, surrounded by shooters.
Howard Gasol
Clark Hill
MWP
Kobe Meeks
Nash Duhon
Playoff rotation! Bring Casspi or Ariza back home for a Title Run Mitch!!!
Vlade_12

Postby GoldenKnight on Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:51 am

Quit trying to trade dwight, that makes you guys look stupid & desperate.

CHECK OUT MY DESIGNS ON FB/INSTAGRAM/TWITTER: @GoldenKnightGFX
GoldenKnight

Postby hollywood swinger on Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:07 am

this is idiotic. the Lakers are not trading D12 period. they will fire MDA at the end of the season if need be to keep him. Lakers will call his bluff.
the posting artist formally known as west-magic-kobe 8/2004
hollywood swinger

Postby cleverdevil on Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:10 am

cleverdevil wrote:
Chillbongo wrote:
cleverdevil wrote:

Yes, my post earlier brought to light that Gordon has a $13.2 PO next year. Diop is done after the season. Truthfully, the only reason it would be a great get was the high lotto pick. I would prefer not to trade Pau this year. There is nothing that Pau brings in THIS YEAR to spark a title run. The Charlotte trade brings a 13.2 mil expiring and possibly a Shabazz or Noel type prospect for next year.

Unfortunately, after more research, Charlotte's 1st round pick this season (while can still be traded) reverts to Chicago to complete the Tyrus Thomas deal. It is top 5 protected, but, while Charlotte is .013 percentage points away from the worst record in the league, they are also .097 percentage points from the 6th worst record, which puts them in position to relinquish the pick to Chicago. It would be a gamble, for sure. Not so certain I would necessarily gamble on it, though.
cleverdevil

Postby abeer3 on Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:47 am

JGC wrote:
Well, or it's a variation of that. I mean, it's possible the deal with the Lakers went through because we were the first to make a reasonable offer for Paul. When the Hornets decided they actually didn't want to do that trade because they wanted younger players/pieces instead, maybe they contacted the Clippers because the Clippers had the younger players/pieces needed to make a deal that was amenable to both sides. I just don't believe in conspiracy theories. I mean, the league stands to lose a lot by us not even being competitive so they would at least want us in the playoffs.

i'll admit to being a bit of a conspiracy theorist (especially where stern is concerned). the league's image was going to take a huge hit if in the aftermath of a lockout publically predicated on taking teams like the lakers (read: the lakers) down a peg (in truth, it was really about lining owners' pockets), you can't have a superstar traded to the lakers.

but it was equally bad for business if paul stayed in NO (leading to another melo situation) or got traded to a true small market team like milwaukee. in come the clippers, a huge market team that fans don't think about in that way. touchdown. having the cake and eating it.
abeer3

Previous

Return to Lakers Discussion