Trade Deadline Discussion: rumors, rumblings, ruminations

Re: Brooklyn still interested in Howard, no deal on the table

Postby Armani on Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:33 pm

Kevin Love is having a horrendous year, and seems to be very injury prone. Also, he doesn't play defense... which, you know, is our main problem. After seeing how Dwight is with back surgery, I would think twice before pulling this trade.
Armani

Re: Rumor: Gasol could be headed to Charlotte

Postby Kit on Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:37 pm

Or trade for Josh Smith which helps us keeping D12.
Kit

Postby Armani on Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:38 pm

Ben Gordon? :bang:

If only the Josh Smith deal were still on the table.
Armani

Postby khmrP on Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:41 pm

Smith trade was NEVER on the table, that was just random speculations.
khmrP

Postby Armani on Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:44 pm

khmrP wrote:Smith trade was NEVER on the table, that was just random speculations.

Based on what? We know the Dragic, Martin, Scola deal was on the table. The Lakers wanted to hold on to Gasol, and now it's come to this. The offers were way better last year.
Armani

Postby khmrP on Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:48 pm

Armani wrote:
khmrP wrote:Smith trade was NEVER on the table, that was just random speculations.

Based on what? We know the Dragic, Martin, Scola deal was on the table. The Lakers wanted to hold on to Gasol, and now it's come to this. The offers were way better last year.

based on FACTS and common sense. Smith is expiring, younger, cheaper. Why the hell would Atl want Gasol? he doesn't do ANYTHING for them. The rumors came before Smith current run in with the coaching staff, Ferry was adamant at the time that Smith wasn't being shopped and he's still not being shopped even after that recent run in with the coach.
Last edited by khmrP on Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
khmrP

Postby Chillbongo on Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:49 pm

:bang:
Isn't Gordon 30 years old?

Come on guys we're not moving Pau for some washed up scrubs & a 30 year old 6th man.

Throw in Sesh & guarantee me that the pick is Top 4 & we're talking.
Chillbongo

Postby cleverdevil on Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:51 pm

borri wrote:Trading Pau now is NOT an option. We will be getting nothing but crap back, which would do nothing to help our chances just to make the playoffs.

Ride this sinking ship out. Pray D12 re-ups. Trade Pau this offseason as his 20 mil expiring will get a heck of a lot more.

Spot on. I still believe that the smartest move for the franchise is to wait for the offseason to move Pau. Personally, I have 100% faith that Dwight re-signs in LA. Extra year-more money-guarantee that after next season the entire franchise will be built around you-and its freaking LA!

Like I said before, though, if Charlotte's 1st rounder that is being mentioned is this year's pick UNPROTECTED, maybe I do the Gordon-Diop-1st -->Pau deal. Charlotte is currently sitting on the 3rd worst record in the NBA and only .013 percentage points from worst (Washington). AT WORST, that pick is top 5-7 if not possibly 1-3. According to Hoopshype, Gordon is on the books for $12.4 mil this season with a player option for next year at $13.2 mil (which is a no brainer he would pick up) and then expires after next season. Diop would be a $7.37 mil rental, as his deal expires this season.

So at worst, this deal could net you a lottery pick AND do nothing to jeopardize the "2014 plan". I believe (someone correct me if I am wrong) that Hill's IR status opens up the roster spot needed to do this deal. And Gordon/Diop's combined $19.772 mil would fall well under the 15% + $150k transaction requirement for Pau's $19 mil ($22 mil).

Thanks to anyone who reads this and feel free to point out any inaccuracies that I may not be aware of. Go Lakers!
cleverdevil

Postby nduri on Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:56 pm

Chillbongo wrote::bang:
Isn't Gordon 30 years old?

Come on guys we're not moving Pau for some washed up scrubs & a 30 year old 6th man.

Throw in Sesh & guarantee me that the pick is Top 4 & we're talking.

I was thinking the same thing, Diop would end up backing up Sacre, and although Gordon use to be one of my favorite non-lakers, that was about 5 years ago. He can still score some off the bench but I don't see him being any type of difference maker and not a good defender. I am also intrigued by the pick if it's lottery, at least we get something for giving up the lottery stipulation in the Nash trade. I'd also like to see a pg come back so we can have something when Nash moves into the coaching ranks as our next coach :man9:
Back at'cha 24-7
nduri

Postby nameant on Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:03 pm

Chillbongo wrote:Come on guys we're not moving Pau for some washed up scrubs

Oh, the irony....
nameant

Postby S.R.05 on Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:07 pm

nameant wrote:

Oh, the irony....

:man1:

if we can get henderson in the deal (i.e. roscoe's trade suggestion), and get the 1st rounder non-protected, i'm in
S.R.05
Clublakers Analyst

Postby LakerFan1980 on Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:08 pm

Lakers are rolling the dice big time! What if D12 doesn't sign in the off season? We're screwed! The way things are going he's going to sign with Brooklyn.
WE PAY CASH FOR HOUSES
424-216-8525
LakerFan1980

Postby therealdeal on Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:11 pm

LakerFan1980 wrote:Lakers are rolling the dice big time! What if D12 doesn't sign in the off season? We're screwed! The way things are going he's going to sign with Brooklyn.

1. He's not signing with Brooklyn for the mini-MLE.

2. If he leaves, our rebuild goes through without a hitch anyway. No big deal.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby khmrP on Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:12 pm

LakerFan1980 wrote:Lakers are rolling the dice big time! What if D12 doesn't sign in the off season? We're screwed! The way things are going he's going to sign with Brooklyn.

for what, the mini MLE? :man3:
khmrP

Postby OX1947 on Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:14 pm

I do not know why you are so worried. EVEN if Howard walked, the Lakers will have close to 50 million in cap space in 17 months. Lebron can opt out, you make a run at Lebron and if Lebron comes to the Lakers, you know damn well Kobe will sign a 3 year contract for 15 mil per, you will have one more year with Nash and then all the lakers have to do is get a good big and some young hustlers. We can call it pipe all we want, but it's simple logic.
OX1947

Postby lakersin4 on Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:20 pm

Why would Lebron want to follow in Kobe's shadow? Lebron coming here when we have space is one of the most pipe ideas ever suggested on this board.
lakersin4

Postby abeer3 on Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:31 pm

nameant wrote:

Oh, the irony....

yeah, i hate to break it to folks, but at this point--no matter when the trade happens--you're looking at something on this level.

again, my hope is that the garbage the lakers get back is at least young and athletic (read: not diop and gordon). but the lakers are unlikely to take on salary in a pau deal, and thus unlikely to get good talent back.

i think it's wise not to take back money, btw. kobe may be mad about them squandering his last couple prime years, but he's not looking capable of carrying anything and he's making over half the salary cap. if the franchise is going to be viable going forward, they'll need to use their allure as a FA destination via cap space.
abeer3

Postby phoenixrisingla on Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:32 pm

lakersin4 wrote:Why would Lebron want to follow in Kobe's shadow? Lebron coming here when we have space is one of the most pipe ideas ever suggested on this board.

It's not just this board, people seem to talk about this everywhere. I dont get it either.
phoenixrisingla

Postby abeer3 on Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:33 pm

lol: no deal on the table. thanks for the clarification; i totally thought the lakers were ready to trade howard for brook lopez and garbage.
abeer3

Postby Chillbongo on Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:37 pm

nameant wrote:

Oh, the irony....

:man10: Although your basketball knowledge compares to that of Jim Buss, thank God you don't run the Lakers.

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/desagana_ ... stats.html

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/pau_gasol ... stats.html

My god I know we are pissed this season but Jesus certain individuals REALLY give Laker fans a bad rap.
Chillbongo

Postby OX1947 on Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:37 pm

lakersin4 wrote:Why would Lebron want to follow in Kobe's shadow? Lebron coming here when we have space is one of the most pipe ideas ever suggested on this board.

Save all that horse (bleep) shadow crap with Stephen A Moron and that (bleep) face across from him. This is about winning championships, I can care less about stupid shadows.
OX1947

Postby khmrP on Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:38 pm

OX1947 wrote:

Save all that horse (bleep) shadow crap with Stephen A Moron and that (bleep) face across from him. This is about winning championships, I can care less about stupid shadows.

and James couldn't win it staying put in Mia? :man3:
khmrP

Trade Deadline Discussion: rumors, rumblings, ruminations

Postby TIME on Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:39 pm

Creating this as a location for the inevitable avalanche of possible moves between now and the NBA Trade Deadline 2013 at 12:00 PM (PT) on
Thursday, February 21.

Merging.
I'm lost in the fog of denial!
TIME
CL Global Moderator

Postby phoenixrisingla on Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:42 pm

khmrP wrote:
OX1947 wrote:

and James couldn't win it staying put in Mia? :man3:

Exactly. We need a shot of reality here people.

What exactly do we have here that LBJ would find preferable to his current situation??

I've been a Laker fan for 23 years and lived in LA for the last 10, and I'm having trouble coming up with anything...
phoenixrisingla

Re: Trade Deadline Discussion: rumors, rumblings, ruminations

Postby KB24 on Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:47 pm

Ideally we keep Dwight and add Love...but thats very unlikely even though Minny wants Gasol and Love has stated he doesn't know whether he wants to stay (thats saying no, I won't stay).

At this point the focus has to be trading Gasol and changing the style of this team to benefit the personell. Gasol at 20 mio. just doesn't produce enough at this point...in any offense. And we aren't going to trade Dwight to make him the C to get 20 ppg....we would get abused in the paint.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion