Troy Bell has 20 points in the second game at Chicago

Troy Bell has 20 points in the second game at Chicago

Postby LakerPride on Sat Jun 07, 2003 12:56 pm

20 points for Bell......leading scorer 2 games in a row at Chicago. You listening Mitch?
-LakerPride
LakerPride

Postby Kobe_One_Kenobi_8 on Sat Jun 07, 2003 1:03 pm

Thanks for the info L-Pride.

I luv his game. He was clutch and a great perimeter shooter in BC. He can get his own shot and extremely quick.
Kobe_One_Kenobi_8

Postby Snakell Beast on Sat Jun 07, 2003 1:14 pm

What can mitch do about Troy Bell, LP? Enlighten me...
Snakell Beast

Postby LakerPride on Sat Jun 07, 2003 1:26 pm

Troy Bell is listed as going 35th in the draft SB. We have the 32nd. Bell is instant offense. The dude can get to the hoop at will and is extremely quick. Think NVE or Bobby Jackson.

I pray that Mitch picks him instead of Beasly with the 32nd. Beasly is nothing special though he has a lot of room to improve. We have too many so so fundementally sound players already. What we need are athletic players. Beasly is not a crazy athlete by any stretch. Bell is oozing with potential. The only reason Bell has dropped so far is because he's not a pass first PG, but neither was Gilbert Arenas coming into the draft. How did he turn out again? I've been high on him since last november. Now if Mitch can get Phil to take a chance on him.....

Pick West with the 24th and pray he becomes a poor man's K-Mart since he's got like a 6-11 wing span and draft Bell with the 32nd. Instant infusion of athleticsm. Granted West is only 6-8, but the dude has long LONG arms and can get up.
-LakerPride
LakerPride

Postby Snakell Beast on Sat Jun 07, 2003 1:31 pm

I'd rather use Kareem Rush as trade bait and draft Travis Hansen as Kobe's back up. He does all the little things that Kareem does not, and his verticle is freakin' 39 inches...(Kobe's is 42)

By the way, I meant in West's stead, I think you might be on to something with Bell...possibly...then we could use all our money on a PF and a back up center or another PF if we can't get the big names...
Snakell Beast

Postby LakerPride on Sat Jun 07, 2003 1:39 pm

while I was extremely disapointed in Rush last year, I know the dude can play better than that. How can such a big star in college look like he has never played ball before for the lakers? I'll tell you why....

Phil tried to convert a college SF to a tri point and failed miserably this year. Rush is a scorer. Give him the ball and ask him to score and he'll be fine...ask him to be a point and he becomes the turn over machine that we all saw last year.

Don't get me wrong Rush HAS to work on his handles this offseason. He has HORRIBLE handles for someone his size. Handles can be worked on though. His confidence is what's bothering me. He looks like he's scared *less out there. Hopefully those nerves will settle a bit next season.

I'm not ready to give up on Rush just yet. We gave George 2 years of bench warming and he didn't come out so bad. Rush is better than George was his rookie season. I know it's not much, but I see some hope for Kareem. After next season I'll know what Rush is made out of. This year was just too much of a transition for the kid...
-LakerPride
LakerPride

Postby BDG on Sat Jun 07, 2003 2:46 pm

good point. i remember how clumsy devean was in his first season. if rush gets some confidence, he could be deadly.
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby Snakell Beast on Sat Jun 07, 2003 9:02 pm

Yeah, but the problem is we don't have time to develop a player as slowly as phil develops them. Look at Slava, he could be a starting PF with many teams and he is getting (most nights) either a DNP-CD or 3-5 minutes a night...that is just not enough...
Snakell Beast

Postby #1_Kobe_fan on Sat Jun 07, 2003 10:38 pm

nobody expected much from George in the first place. He played in division 3 basketball!!!! Rush was in the FINAL FOUR!! Of course we expected bigger things from Rush. He played SF in college and he is only 6'4" or 6'5". This explains why he has no handles. If you want him to score he won't cause the players in the NBA are bigger and faster than him in that position he plays. If we stick him at SF.. he's gonna have MARION type players guarding him. I really think he will not cut it in this league because he is not a gifted enough athlete to compensate for his lack of height as a SF. I hope he proves me wrong but I can see him riding the pine for a long long time. Other players who excelled in college but fail in the NBA is Harold Miner was a better player than RUSH and where the heck is he now? O'bannon brothers?
BELL looks promising but we already have that in PARGO. We need a markee name at the point not another rookie. If Bell gets here what do we do with PARGO. This means the minutes he would get would have to be split by PARGO and BELL. Lets stick with players with height as well as athleticism. Bell is listed at 6'1 but in the nba thats like 6'0 - 5'11. We need to get bigger not smaller.
#1_Kobe_fan

Postby ZenMaster on Sun Jun 08, 2003 8:00 am

Personally, I LOVE Bell's game too, but we all know Phil's obsession for size in the backcourt...don't know if this will happen. If not Bell then who should we go for in the draft...should we not even bother going after a PG with our picks (use 'em for PF/C's, maybe) and focus on Gary P. thru free agency. And do we keep Rush or use him as trade bait, cut our losses now while we still can? I know he was only a rook last year...but I just don't think he's a good fit for our t-system, even over time...I think he'd be much better off somewhere else, IMHO. Let's see what we can get for him (maybe package one or two other guys with him as see what happens, like Snakell said). Lastly, is Pargo an unrestricted f.a. now, does anyone know.....
ZenMaster

Postby Snakell Beast on Sun Jun 08, 2003 8:52 am

I say we go for Marcus Moore if we want back court PG talent with size (6'6)
Snakell Beast

Postby LakerPride on Sun Jun 08, 2003 10:23 am

I like Moore too SB, but there a lot of question marks when it comes to Moore. He's not too quick or athletic. He's not a super leaper and he's very inconsistent from the outside. He's also a pg who can only drive to his left......that's not good.

I just want a quick pg in this draft that can create for himself and others off the dribble. Someone to relieve the ball handling duties from Kobe's shoulders so Kobe can play and dominate the wing. Moore is not developed enough to do all that, but Moore DOES have fabulous PG instincts.

I'd rather have Bell because of his will to win and his awsome driving ability. We need speed to gaurd the quick 1's in the league and Moore doesn't bring that. A common misconseption is that height makes up for speed.....it does to a certain extent, but no where near where people think it does. If height were such an advantage Brian Shaw should be able to shut down the one's of the league. Kobe can't even hang with some of the 1's and the dude is all nba d.

All that said, Moore would be my second choice in the draft with the 32nd pick. He's just too good of a passer to overlook.

Ofcourse my first option would be to trade up in the first round and get an Arenas clone.....Barbosa. He's 6'4 AND he's lighting quick!
-LakerPride
LakerPride

Postby Snakell Beast on Sun Jun 08, 2003 8:47 pm

Barbosa does seem interesting. If we can trade up without losing much, I would go for it, but only AT the draft when he is still available on the board...
Snakell Beast

Return to Lakers Discussion