TWC/Charter/Verizon/AT&T/Cox/DTV Ch. Guide (see 1st post)

Re: TWC and Lakers Sign Long-Term Agreement for Lakers Games

Postby lakerfan2 on Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:47 am

Coach bobs his head to much when he talks. Like he's having a seizure when he's explaining something.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby BDG on Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:56 am

Just bit the bullet and ordered TWC temporarily to get this channel. Kept DirecTV too.

Thankfully they're month-to-month with no cancellation fee so I'll just get rid of their garbage cable service once DirecTV gets SportsNet.
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby jOeyB7000 on Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:56 pm

BDG wrote:Just bit the bullet and ordered TWC temporarily to get this channel. Kept DirecTV too.

Thankfully they're month-to-month with no cancellation fee so I'll just get rid of their garbage cable service once DirecTV gets SportsNet.

That's exactly what I'm going to do as well.

A poster a couple of pages back mentioned that you can temporarily suspend your account with DirecTV for 6 months without paying any penalty. Hopefully I'll be able to do that so that I don't have to pay for both.

I don't know about you guys, but instead of making me want to switch to TWC, this channel is making me hate them even more. This strategy of trying to milk this situation and steal other provider's customers is going to backfire on them once the other providers come to terms for this channel. All the people who switched to TWC just for this channel are going to switch back to their old providers once they get the new channel. TWC is going to spend more money sending out their techs to set up their "new" customers only to have to send them back out to collect their boxes when their "new" customers realize how crappy of a service they offer and they cancel and switch back.

If I could, I would change my sn to fkTimeWarner :mhihi: (yes it's a play on the poster here who's name was fkLukeWalton and I think he changed his name to fkSteveBlake.. lol)
jOeyB7000

Postby Kasumi on Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:01 pm

^^^ You're missing the point, even once you get the channel on another provider, TWC is still making money off of you because you're paying for the channel and watching their advertising. Plus, there are plenty of people that are motivated enough to switch to TWC to get the channel but lazy enough to not switch back once other providers pick it up.

BTW, I'm LOVING the channel. Behind the scenes looks, constant programming and I'll always know where to find Lakers games (before you had to guess between KCAL, TNT or FSN). Can't blame TWC for playing hardball and trying to recoupe their investment.
ImageImage

You can now find me over at www.LakersBall.com
Kasumi
ClubSpurs.com Administrator

Postby jOeyB7000 on Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:05 pm

Kasumi wrote:^^^ You're missing the point, even once you get the channel on another provider, TWC is still making money off of you because you're paying for the channel and watching their advertising. Plus, there are plenty of people that are motivated enough to switch to TWC to get the channel but lazy enough to not switch back once other providers pick it up.

BTW, I'm LOVING the channel. Behind the scenes looks, constant programming and I'll always know where to find Lakers games (before you had to guess between KCAL, TNT or FSN). Can't blame TWC for playing hardball and trying to recoupe their investment.

I see your point... My judgement regarding this issue is just clouded by the hate I have for Time Warner :man10:
jOeyB7000

Postby JGC on Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:08 pm

jOeyB7000 wrote:
BDG wrote:Just bit the bullet and ordered TWC temporarily to get this channel. Kept DirecTV too.

A poster a couple of pages back mentioned that you can temporarily suspend your account with DirecTV for 6 months without paying any penalty. Hopefully I'll be able to do that so that I don't have to pay for both.

I don't know about you guys, but instead of making me want to switch to TWC, this channel is making me hate them even more. This strategy of trying to milk this situation and steal other provider's customers is going to backfire on them once the other providers come to terms for this channel. All the people who switched to TWC just for this channel are going to switch back to their old providers once they get the new channel. TWC is going to spend more money sending out their techs to set up their "new" customers only to have to send them back out to collect their boxes when their "new" customers realize how crappy of a service they offer and they cancel and switch back.

If I could, I would change my sn to fkTimeWarner :mhihi: (yes it's a play on the poster here who's name was fkLukeWalton and I think he changed his name to fkSteveBlake.. lol)

Nope, not me. It's making me more irritated at my current provider, Cox Cable, not TWC. It makes no sense to be mad at TWC. They are offering the channel. Your provider (and mine) are the ones trying to milk the situation and get the content at a lower price. If they wanted to, they could offer the content right now at $3.95 per subscriber which isn't an unreasonable asking price.

For comparison, ATT U-Verse just signed a deal to pay $4.00 per subscriber for Fox Sports San Diego to offer Padres games to their customers. That is $0.05 MORE than the current offer TWC is asking for SportsNet which gives customers not just Lakers but Sparks and Galaxy too (not that I care about those teams, but just saying).

You have to realize that the real money for TWC is not in getting customers to switch to TWC. They cannot make a profit on the $4B investment they made because they know that a) not everyone is going to switch just for a Lakers channel and b) a ton of people cannot switch if they wanted to.

The real money is in getting DirecTV and Cox and ATT and Verizon and all of the other providers, with MILLIONS of customers at their disposal, to pony up $3.95 per subscriber to TWC so they can offer the channel to their existing customers. So if you want to get mad at someone, get mad at your provider because they have all of the ability in the world to offer SportsNet to you RIGHT NOW if they wanted to.
JGC

Postby jOeyB7000 on Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:24 pm

JGC wrote:
jOeyB7000 wrote:

Nope, not me. It's making me more irritated at my current provider, Cox Cable, not TWC. It makes no sense to be mad at TWC. They are offering the channel. Your provider (and mine) are the ones trying to milk the situation and get the content at a lower price. If they wanted to, they could offer the content right now at $3.95 per subscriber which isn't an unreasonable asking price.

For comparison, ATT U-Verse just signed a deal to pay $4.00 per subscriber for Fox Sports San Diego to offer Padres games to their customers. That is $0.05 MORE than the current offer TWC is asking for SportsNet which gives customers not just Lakers but Sparks and Galaxy too (not that I care about those teams, but just saying).

You have to realize that the real money for TWC is not in getting customers to switch to TWC. They cannot make a profit on the $4B investment they made because they know that a) not everyone is going to switch just for a Lakers channel and b) a ton of people cannot switch if they wanted to.

The real money is in getting DirecTV and Cox and ATT and Verizon and all of the other providers, with MILLIONS of customers at their disposal, to pony up $3.95 per subscriber to TWC so they can offer the channel to their existing customers. So if you want to get mad at someone, get mad at your provider because they have all of the ability in the world to offer SportsNet to you RIGHT NOW if they wanted to.

I keep seeing this $3.95 per customer being thrown around, but is this the actual number that TWC is looking for? From everything that I've read or heard on the radio, TWC is trying to charge a ridiculous price for the channel. Now if Cox was willing to pay $4 per customer for Fox Sports San Diego, one would assume that the price TWC is asking for is actually higher than the $3.95 that is being reported. Also, I believe the Lakers market is significantly bigger than the Fox Sports San Diego market, so even if the $3.95 figure is accurate, SportsNet ends up being much more expensive because of the amount of subscribers in the Lakers market. I saw somewhere that Directv had 1 million plus customers in the Lakers market. This would mean the channel will cost Directv about $4 million. Per month.
jOeyB7000

Postby pound4pound1 on Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:32 pm

no joke, there were about 9-10 of us last nite at our only buddy's pad that had TWC...for a preseason game
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby Weezy on Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:48 pm

I 'hate' Time Warner for their crappy cable (I had it in the past before I upgraded to better) and for making me miss the Lakers right now, but I can't truly hate them because without the money from this deal we probably don't have Nash and Howard right now. I will happily personally take the hit by missing some preseason games and even some regular season ones if it means that the team benefits, sucks for me right now, but it's great for the franchise.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby jOeyB7000 on Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:31 pm

Weezy wrote:I 'hate' Time Warner for their crappy cable (I had it in the past before I upgraded to better) and for making me miss the Lakers right now, but I can't truly hate them because without the money from this deal we probably don't have Nash and Howard right now. I will happily personally take the hit by missing some preseason games and even some regular season ones if it means that the team benefits, sucks for me right now, but it's great for the franchise.

This is a good way of looking at it. We're taking one for the team.
jOeyB7000

Postby OX1947 on Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:48 pm

jOeyB7000 wrote:
Kasumi wrote:^^^ You're missing the point, even once you get the channel on another provider, TWC is still making money off of you because you're paying for the channel and watching their advertising. Plus, there are plenty of people that are motivated enough to switch to TWC to get the channel but lazy enough to not switch back once other providers pick it up.

I see your point... My judgement regarding this issue is just clouded by the hate I have for Time Warner :man10:

Amen.
OX1947

Postby Phil XI on Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:49 pm

Barney says use your imagination. Read the boxscore play by play and see it all happening in your mind! Short attention span motherchuckers.
Get 17!!
Phil XI

Location: Thanks Ron for Gm7! You'll always be a Laker Legend!

Postby revgen on Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:53 pm

jOeyB7000 wrote: Now if Cox was willing to pay $4 per customer for Fox Sports San Diego, one would assume that the price TWC is asking for is actually higher than the $3.95 that is being reported.

TWC already has 2 million subscribers in Southern California. So they already have a revenue stream supporting the channel. Now they do need DISH, DirecTV, and the other cable providers to hop on in order to pay the Lakers the 3 billion over 20 years, but they aren't nearly as desperate as a channel provider without any infrastructure can be.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby LakerFanIam on Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:56 pm

TWC needs to either work out a deal with DirectTv or get better security.... :man11:
LakerFanIam

Postby therealdeal on Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:01 pm

^ It's the other way way around. DTV needs to come to terms with TWC. They (and every other provider) are the ones responsible.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby kray28 on Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:12 pm

Furious D wrote:Loving this new channel!

From what I understand, it's a great channel...if you can actually get it.
kray28

Postby LTLakerFan on Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:53 pm

Address....please? :man10:
LTLakerFan

Postby Rockford Punch on Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:02 pm

The channel is alright. Not only are the freezes every few minutes ridiculous, but the actual HD signal, at least judging from yesterday's first preseason game, left MUCH to be desired. Expected a better picture to be quite honest.
Rockford Punch

Postby Juronimo on Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:12 pm

Rockford Punch wrote:The channel is alright. Not only are the freezes every few minutes ridiculous, but the actual HD signal, at least judging from yesterday's first preseason game, left MUCH to be desired. Expected a better picture to be quite honest.

I figured it was my terrible cable reception that was causing the freezes but other people are seeing it too? One of the freezes lasted a good 5 minutes.

Ferguson, we hear you.
RIP Mike Brown.
Juronimo

Postby XXIV on Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:30 pm

Juronimo wrote:
Rockford Punch wrote:The channel is alright. Not only are the freezes every few minutes ridiculous, but the actual HD signal, at least judging from yesterday's first preseason game, left MUCH to be desired. Expected a better picture to be quite honest.

I figured it was my terrible cable reception that was causing the freezes but other people are seeing it too? One of the freezes lasted a good 5 minutes.

5 minutes? That's pretty long, they better fix that before the regular season begins.
XXIV

Postby LTLakerFan on Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:37 pm

Juronimo wrote:

Freezes....we're talking about "freezes" here.....freezes??? :man2:

But as far as picture quality from all their camera equipment at Staples and on the road..... it damn well better be every bit as good as Fox Sports West and KCAL were! I thought both were solid on my Charter service. Certainly better than some of the crap TNT gave us from a couple of their camera angles no matter which venue. Bit starved, block artifact hell with any motion from a couple of the lower side cameras if you had a large enough HD display to notice it on.

They ought to be using all new s.o.t.a. gear and production trucks and hitting the bar that ESPN and ABC are now. They were sucking just 2 years ago and turned it around. TNT went the opposite direction with those couple of cameras in the mix from what they were.
LTLakerFan

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:45 pm

TWCs always had poor video quality compared to satellite or fiber and its degraded over the years as theyve added more HD channels.
CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby LTLakerFan on Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:47 pm

Well they better have good production equipment and uplink to the bird and back down and out to the other providers or we should kill them about it. There's whole sections devoted to this type of quality on other HT and production forums, that industry people pay attention to. I could care less about their cable service. Not in my territory.
LTLakerFan

Postby ThizGuy83 on Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:55 pm

the channel seemed fine to me last nite... had no issues at all... only thing was the angle issue but i dunno if its cuz of the stadium and thats how it is or the camera man
Dwight "tweedle Dee tweedle dum" Howard
ThizGuy83

Postby cthroatgtr on Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:30 pm

Regarding the broadcast don't read too much into it. Being it was in Fresno the cameras and equipment are not necessarily setup for optimal broadcasts. If it is bad in Staples then worry....now if we can actually get some cable / satellite deals in place...I mean via streaming through "site" was awful on its own.
cthroatgtr

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion