TWC/Charter/Verizon/AT&T/Cox/DTV Ch. Guide (see 1st post)

Re: TWC and Lakers Sign Long-Term Agreement for Lakers Games

Postby Scnottaken on Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:53 am

CaCHooKa Man wrote:
Scnottaken wrote:
Mr_Hollywood_Line wrote:I have digital cable with TWC, so I should be good, no?

What I'm wondering is what package would you have to buy to get it from TWC. (does TWC HAVE packages for TV?)

it should probably be included since its a local sports network

Then $5B is a hell of alot of money to pay.
I want to hear "Beat LA" chants at a Clipper vs Laker game
Scnottaken

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:04 am

Scnottaken wrote:
CaCHooKa Man wrote:
Scnottaken wrote:

What I'm wondering is what package would you have to buy to get it from TWC. (does TWC HAVE packages for TV?)

it should probably be included since its a local sports network

Then $5B is a hell of alot of money to pay.

theyll make their money back from selling the channel to directv, dish, charter, etc who will in turn pass the cost down to their subscribers. theres around 2 million TWC subscribers in the LA area already which is around 40% of the households that pay for TV. theyll probably get new subscribers as well since its the only way to watch a majority of the lakers games other than streaming them online in terrible quality.
CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby purp n gold on Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:38 am

Finwë wrote:
Battle Tested20 wrote:I guess we just have to pray and hope that they reach agreenments with these Cable Companies before the season starts or else I'll have to go bar hoping when the Lakers play at home just to see the games as they will be blocked on the League Pass because they would be considered local channels for me in San Diego.

How about league pass broadband? Drop league pass for TV and pick up broadband league pass... You can connect your computer to your TV and you hardly tell the difference.. You'll get every single game, and you can watch them live, on demand; you can pause & rewind; you can watch up to 4 games at a time.. If you have a good internet connection you should get HD quality for every game.
Just throwing an idea out there. I live in Argentina and I have international broadband league pass. It's brilliant. I never miss a game.

How much did you pay for International broadband league pass, Finwe? I'll out of the country next year and this may be my soulution...
There are two teams that play in the Staples Center:
the LA Lakers and NBA Clippers.
purp n gold

Postby revgen on Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:40 am

TWC did this after Fox pulled that crap back in 2009 or 2010, threatening to pull FSW and FSW2 if TWC didn't pay up. DirecTV and Dish put out ads telling TWC subscribers to switch to satellite. TWC decided "to hell with FSW!" and decided to buy off the Lakers themselves. Now DirecTV & Dish will have to pay TWC.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby Finwë on Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:56 am

purp n gold wrote:
Finwë wrote:
Battle Tested20 wrote:I guess we just have to pray and hope that they reach agreenments with these Cable Companies before the season starts or else I'll have to go bar hoping when the Lakers play at home just to see the games as they will be blocked on the League Pass because they would be considered local channels for me in San Diego.

How about league pass broadband? Drop league pass for TV and pick up broadband league pass... You can connect your computer to your TV and you hardly tell the difference.. You'll get every single game, and you can watch them live, on demand; you can pause & rewind; you can watch up to 4 games at a time.. If you have a good internet connection you should get HD quality for every game.
Just throwing an idea out there. I live in Argentina and I have international broadband league pass. It's brilliant. I never miss a game.

How much did you pay for International broadband league pass, Finwe? I'll out of the country next year and this may be my soulution...

I think it was one payment of 130 dollars for every regular season game + playoffs, or 5 payments of around 26 dollars. IMO it was worth it, I watched a couple games a day.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby S.R.05 on Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:25 pm

so when are they debuting this new channel
Hindsight is 20/20
S.R.05
Clublakers Analyst

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:17 pm

Showtime.Revival.05 wrote:so when are they debuting this new channel

October 1st
CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby KB8SD on Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:26 pm

If anyone is looking to switch TV providers and sign up for DirecTV send me a PM and I can send you directions on how to get a $120 Costco gift card and $100 discount for using my DirecTV account for the refer a friend discount.
KB8SD

Postby Scnottaken on Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:35 pm

Thing is, I love my FiOS internet, so I really don't want to have to switch. I already have the sports package, but don't have the ultimate (a bit too much for channels I'd never watch)
Scnottaken

Postby revgen on Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:42 pm

Scnottaken wrote:Thing is, I love my FiOS internet, so I really don't want to have to switch. I already have the sports package, but don't have the ultimate (a bit too much for channels I'd never watch)

FIOS will buy the channel from TWC, so no worries.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby Scnottaken on Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:15 pm

revgen wrote:
Scnottaken wrote:Thing is, I love my FiOS internet, so I really don't want to have to switch. I already have the sports package, but don't have the ultimate (a bit too much for channels I'd never watch)

FIOS will buy the channel from TWC, so no worries.

I was just worried it might be an ultimate package thing, like the tennis channel was (only reason I know this is because a friend of mine likes tennis, and had to go a few months without it)
Scnottaken

Postby LTLakerFan on Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:58 pm

KB8SD wrote:If anyone is looking to switch TV providers and sign up for DirecTV send me a PM and I can send you directions on how to get a $120 Costco gift card and $100 discount for using my DirecTV account for the refer a friend discount.

:man10: Thanks for the offer. Maybe though you'd be under suspicion after a couple hundred here took you up on it and DTV goes WTF is going on here..... :man1: Or then again maybe I'm full of crap and they would be happy. I've been in that state before.
LTLakerFan

Postby KB8SD on Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:02 pm

LTLakerFan wrote:
KB8SD wrote:If anyone is looking to switch TV providers and sign up for DirecTV send me a PM and I can send you directions on how to get a $120 Costco gift card and $100 discount for using my DirecTV account for the refer a friend discount.

:man10: Thanks for the offer. Maybe though you'd be under suspicion after a couple hundred here took you up on it and DTV goes WTF is going on here..... :man1: Or then again maybe I'm full of crap and they would be happy. I've been in that state before.

Nah there's nothing shady about it. The refer a friend program lets you refer up to 10 people.The way it works is both me & friends get $10 off our bills for 10 months.As you refer more people to sign up for Directv it just keep stacking the monthly discount for 10 months. So yeah I could literally get $100 off my monthly if I got 10 friends to sign up and actiavte Directv.

The $120 costco gift card is simple. You just sign up for Directv off the Costco & Directv website.You don't even have to have Costco membership and they just mail you the gift card within 6 to 8 weeks.I think Costco will let you even shop one time at one of their stores without a membership if you show them the gift card. Or people can easily sell the gift card for cash instead if you don't want to shop at Costco.
KB8SD

Postby dmaul on Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:09 pm

I'm really glad this thread is back because I've been thinking about this lately. Never had cable before but now I'm forced to get it. In an ideal scenario they'd let you pay for only the channels you want and not have to get these expensive packages that include all this other mumbo jumbo you'll never watch. So of course, I've been comparison shopping with the different carriers last week as I obviously want to pay as little as I have to to watch only the Lakers. When I called up Direct TV and asked them how much it would be for basic cable + this new Lakers channel, the woman didn't know what I was talking about. She put me on hold and then came back to me and said, "you mean Fox Sports West?" I told her FSW will no longer carry the Lakers this upcoming season but she still didn't understand.

I have a feeling many carriers don't have agreements worked out yet with Time Warner. So if you have to get a basic package plus the additional cost for this channel, you would think Time Warner would be cheaper than anybody else, correct? Since whatever they're charging for this channel can't be more than what another carrier would charge since they have to pay Time Warner. That would assume the basic package is roughly the same across the board. I don't know. Is there even a name for this new channel - "the Lakers channel" or something? I don't know what to tell these customer service people over the phone. Even when they don't understand they'll say, "yeah, we have it. We carry everything you want" just to get you to sign up on the spot.
dmaul

Postby KB8SD on Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:49 pm

dmaul wrote:I'm really glad this thread is back because I've been thinking about this lately. Never had cable before but now I'm forced to get it. In an ideal scenario they'd let you pay for only the channels you want and not have to get these expensive packages that include all this other mumbo jumbo you'll never watch. So of course, I've been comparison shopping with the different carriers last week as I obviously want to pay as little as I have to to watch only the Lakers. When I called up Direct TV and asked them how much it would be for basic cable + this new Lakers channel, the woman didn't know what I was talking about. She put me on hold and then came back to me and said, "you mean Fox Sports West?" I told her FSW will no longer carry the Lakers this upcoming season but she still didn't understand.

I have a feeling many carriers don't have agreements worked out yet with Time Warner. So if you have to get a basic package plus the additional cost for this channel, you would think Time Warner would be cheaper than anybody else, correct? Since whatever they're charging for this channel can't be more than what another carrier would charge since they have to pay Time Warner. That would assume the basic package is roughly the same across the board. I don't know. Is there even a name for this new channel - "the Lakers channel" or something? I don't know what to tell these customer service people over the phone. Even when they don't understand they'll say, "yeah, we have it. We carry everything you want" just to get you to sign up on the spot.

The channels are called Time Warner Cable SportsNet for the English version and Time Warner Deportes for the Spanish channel.

They launch on October 1st 2012. TWC is in discussion with all of the TV providers (DirecTV, Dish Network, Cox, Charter, Verizon Fios, AT&T U-Verse) over how much they are going to charge for TWC's competitors to carry and distribute the channels. Any agreement is probably not going to get done with those TV providers until we get closer to the October 1st launch date of the channels.

Here is the FAQ page:

http://www.nba.com/lakers/news/time_war ... t_faq.html

And here is TWC SportsNet's Twitter account where you can send a message asking them questions:

https://twitter.com/TWCSportsNet
Last edited by KB8SD on Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
KB8SD

Postby dmaul on Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:15 pm

^ thank you very much. I knew I could count on Clublakers to get the scoop on this.
dmaul

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:40 pm

for those in hawaii

http://www.oceanic.com/products/television/agreements_with_programmers

Statewide, on or about October 1, 2012 Time Warner Cable Sports Network will be launched on analog Ch. 23, digital Ch. 400 and HD Ch. 1400 on the CPST tier.
CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby DarthRekal on Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:40 pm

what about colorado.. i go there in november :man5:
Lakers Motto: HOF Guards, We MAKE 'Em... HOF Centers, We TAKE 'Em
DarthRekal
Cookie Monster

Postby kray28 on Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:26 pm

AFAIK, everyone outside of the Laker TV market will not have access to this channel. If you want to watch Laker games, you'll have League Pass as before though.
kray28

Postby KobeSystemtwofour on Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:25 am

What about Dish Network? will they have the channel?
“If somebody had their life on the line, and they’ve got their options on who they want to save their life – tell me who you’re going to pick?” Bryant asked. “You’re going to look at the stats first?”
KobeSystemtwofour

Postby Mr_Hollywood_Line on Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:47 am

Scnottaken wrote:

That was my question as well.

The Lakers are the only reason why I have cable TV in the first place. Otherwise, I would drop it in a heartbeat insofar as it's nothing but garbage reality shows and spam.
Mr_Hollywood_Line

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:52 am

League pass still for me but only Laker games this time.
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby Battle Tested20 on Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:05 pm

purp n gold wrote:
Finwë wrote:

No, I don't think you get it. Normally just getting the NBA League Pass like I've done every year for however long its been around would fix my issue I have here. The problem isn't that its that I live (san diego) where the Lakers are considered to be playing on a local channel, which means that it would be blacked out on the League Pass like it was last year. Say I lived in Northern California like I have my whole life except for this last year then the league pass would be a great solution to this problem.

The same thing occurred when I was in NorCal. Whenever the Kings or Warriors played they would be blacked out on League Pass and I would have to watch those games on my local channels.

Well, now that the Lakers will be on local channels this year (exclusively on that TWC Lakers channel) I have to hope they make agreements with Cox or Direct TV because where I am living I can't get TWC.
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby NewDynasty on Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:55 pm

Hope fios buys the channel asap, i hated my timewarner service and love fios but cant live without lakers basketball.
NewDynasty

Postby therealdeal on Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:04 pm

I talked to my TWC provider and they said that with my modest basic cable plan that I'll have the channel.

Hope that helps people.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion