TWC/Charter/Verizon/AT&T/Cox/DTV Ch. Guide (see 1st post)

Re: TWC and Lakers Sign Long-Term Agreement for Lakers Games

Postby dj vitus on Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:30 am

I sure hope FiOS gets it. I'm ready for an upgrade, and I don't want blackout League Pass.
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
dj vitus

Postby LTLakerFan on Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:44 am

I almost put FIOS in to replace Charter but then chicken'd out worried about ultimate image quality as I have a large bright image. If Charter gets a good signal from a truck uplink to the bird and back..... I get it. But after scheduling the install I went to a HT forum and in the Cable/Sat/Etc. section FIOS wasn't getting any love for quality. Others seem to say it's highest quality. I heard also it depended where your address sat in relation to the closest hub but no personal experience with it.
LTLakerFan

Postby XXIV on Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:56 am

OX1947 wrote:
Lakerjones wrote:I've got Directv and they better get that deal done. I don't want to miss a single minute of this season.

Directv will be the first one to be done. Think about it, all bars have directv for the Sunday Ticket and DTV is the only one who can provide it, they arent switching to time warner. If the LA area bars cant show Laker games, there will be a major problem. It wont happen.

Think about this from another perspective, because Direct TV really needs to get a deal done TWC will charge a ridiculous price that could potentially delay the process. It could go either way really.
XXIV

Postby LakerFanIam on Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:58 am

I miss the days when there was only 3 Major Networks and your local station.
LakerFanIam

Postby Juronimo on Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:03 pm

therealdeal wrote:
KareemTheGreat33 wrote:4 billion in 20 years. I was afraid the Lakers would be ruined after the tighter taxes but they'll be earning 200M per year alone in TV rights for the next 20. That alone could pay for tax penalized payroll while adding millions more from attendance and merchandise. :jam2:

The Lakers are going to make more than their money back on this investment almost guaranteed. If they get to the 2nd, maybe 3rd round of the playoffs I think the team pays for itself through ticket sales to be honest. Tickets in the 300s probably sell for at least 100 bucks this season. Court side seats sell for thousands. Let's say the average cost of a ticket is 300 bucks. The Staples Center seats around 19,000 people.

If they sell out games (they will), they make 5,700,000 per game; 82 games makes 467.4 million dollars. But say the average ticket price is only 100 dollars. If they sell out all 82 games, that's 155,800,000 dollars. Clears payroll for the team and probably most of the office and coaching staff too. Add in playoff sales (ticket price goes up dramatically), merchandising, and jersey sales...

The Buss family is going to make a killing this season even WITH an inflated payroll for the roster.

The Lakers play 82 home games? I'd hate to see what a 164 game regular season will do to our vets.
RIP Nelson Mandela
July 18, 1918 - December 5, 2013
Juronimo

Postby therealdeal on Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:42 pm

Juronimo wrote:
The Lakers play 82 home games? I'd hate to see what a 164 game regular season will do to our vets.

Okay give them 41 games at 300 dollars: 233.7 million dollars. If it's just 100 dollars, they still make 77.9 million gross in ticket sales alone which pays for the majority of the team. Then add in playoff games. Then add in jersey sales and merchandising. Then add in endorsements (Wing-Stop, your place for Laker hotwings!). Then add in this massive new television contract worth 200 million per year...

The Buss family is still making a killing this season.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby OX1947 on Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:43 pm

XXIV wrote:
OX1947 wrote:
Lakerjones wrote:I've got Directv and they better get that deal done. I don't want to miss a single minute of this season.

Directv will be the first one to be done. Think about it, all bars have directv for the Sunday Ticket and DTV is the only one who can provide it, they arent switching to time warner. If the LA area bars cant show Laker games, there will be a major problem. It wont happen.

Think about this from another perspective, because Direct TV really needs to get a deal done TWC will charge a ridiculous price that could potentially delay the process. It could go either way really.

The amount of advertising dollars Time Warner will make on just their end in the next 20-25 years will dwarf the 3-5 billion they are paying. Lakers in LA isn't like not having the NFL Network, this is the LA Lakers and this season is one of the most anticipated season in Laker history. Lakers draw more per game then all the other major sports team in LA and Anaheim combined. Time Warner's leverage is only to the everyday schmucks like us. They do not have leverage against the thousands of bars who have Directv for the NFL. Those bars are not leaving DTV to go to Time Warner because they will never sacrifice those Sundays coming up during the football season.

If LA residents and in and around LA like Inland Empire do not get the Lakers, Time Warner would also get a huge backlash from from the locals. Time Warner is already on my (bleep) list, this has gone on a lot longer it should, they better get this done in the next few weeks.
OX1947

Postby Battle Tested20 on Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:11 am

Small update from yesterday or sometime recently I read on another Lakers forum:

Ok.... So I live local as a lot of you do to l.a.,I was listening to 710 am ESPN radio today around 4:30 with john Ireland and a guy who's name I can't recall,but he's the sideline reporter for laker games home and away,he's also a writer for Lakers.com... Anyway Ireland said that their are people who are working on this thing 24 hours a day! He Said he expects this to be done before Oct. 1st if that carries any weight for you guys.... He also said the channel will be on all providers.... Let's all hope this happens!
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby XXIV on Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:50 am

^ I sure hope that guy's right, it would be terrible to miss any Lakers game especially in a season where there's this much excitement.
XXIV

Postby Sean on Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:55 am

Battle Tested20 wrote:Small update from yesterday or sometime recently I read on another Lakers forum:

Ok.... So I live local as a lot of you do to l.a.,I was listening to 710 am ESPN radio today around 4:30 with john Ireland and a guy who's name I can't recall,but he's the sideline reporter for laker games home and away,he's also a writer for Lakers.com... Anyway Ireland said that their are people who are working on this thing 24 hours a day! He Said he expects this to be done before Oct. 1st if that carries any weight for you guys.... He also said the channel will be on all providers.... Let's all hope this happens!

That was Mike Trudell

https://twitter.com/LakersReporter
"Either you are still a Laker fan, or you never were." -Guru
Sean

Postby Battle Tested20 on Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:16 am

Sean wrote:
Battle Tested20 wrote:Small update from yesterday or sometime recently I read on another Lakers forum:

That was Mike Trudell

https://twitter.com/LakersReporter

yeah, I was surprised that guy didn't know who Mike Trudell was haha
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby dmaul on Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:24 pm

Alright, I'm counting on you guys to let me know when this thing gets worked out between Time Warner and the other providers. I'm sure Time Warner is gonna try to take them to the cleaners to carry their channel and that cost will be passed onto the consumer. So if you have another carrier like DirectTV, you have to let all of us know how much more you're paying for this Lakers channel.
dmaul

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:44 am

ive had TWC/adelphia for 20+ years and i have no problem with my internet or cable. glad im getting the channel for free. :jam2:
CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby KB8SD on Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:02 pm

CaCHooKa Man wrote:ive had TWC/adelphia for 20+ years and i have no problem with my internet or cable. glad im getting the channel for free. :jam2:

Umm... you aren't getting the channel for free !

If you are a TWC subscriber you are receiving a monthly bill for their TV services.Also don't be surprised when you look at your billing statement's over the next few months if your bill goes up because of this new channel.

One way or the other TWC needs the $$$ because they have a $4 or $5 billion 20 or 25 year TV agreement with the Lakers that averages out to about $200 million per year that TWC needs to pay which the bill gets passed down to us the consumers.

Unless of course you have some illegal cable box where you are stealing TWC TV service.

Well then yes you would be getting it free. Lol.
KB8SD

Postby therealdeal on Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:25 am

^ Actually that's not exactly how business works. Money will be made not only on raised prices, but on new customers.

Because Time Warner Cable owns the channel that will provide the Los Angeles Lakers, they have the ability to charge whatever rate they want to all of the other cable/satellite providers who want and need the channel for their subscribers. A majority of their money will be made this way.

And for any channel that doesn't want to pay that price, they run the risk of losing customers to someone who will. Never underestimate loyalty in sports.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby KB8SD on Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:40 am

therealdeal wrote:^ Actually that's not exactly how business works. Money will be made not only on raised prices, but on new customers.

Because Time Warner Cable owns the channel that will provide the Los Angeles Lakers, they have the ability to charge whatever rate they want to all of the other cable/satellite providers who want and need the channel for their subscribers. A majority of their money will be made this way.

And for any channel that doesn't want to pay that price, they run the risk of losing customers to someone who will. Never underestimate loyalty in sports.

I understand what your saying.But TWC still needs to make deals with the other TV providers for them to carry the channel.If they don't they may have the $200 millon a year to pay the Lakers but they need the other TV providers if Time Warner are going to make a profit off this new TV agreement.

Directv headquarters is in El Segundo and their biggest customer base in the US is the LA, OC, and Socal areas.

Also Time Warner may be going the route of trying to lure & gain more customers to sign up for their cable service.But there are a bunch of areas where Time Warner cable service is not available for customers to get even if some customers wanted to switch just for the sake of having the Lakers new channels.
KB8SD

Postby nthydro on Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:29 pm

therealdeal wrote:^ Actually that's not exactly how business works. Money will be made not only on raised prices, but on new customers.

And don't forget the advertisements.

BTW anyone know if the Clippers are on the same channel as well?
nthydro

Postby hdtvset on Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:13 pm

No luck from the Direct in Los Angeles area.

hdtvset

Postby LAKEROC on Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:32 pm

I live in Hawai'i, and have DirectTV; however I'm not concerned over this issue getting resolved. I know for a fact, that many people in the Lakers organization(Mitch, Jim, John Ireland, John Black,) all have DirecTV! That gives me comfort, as well knowing that the Lakers, are probably the biggest organization in professional sports, along with the Yankees, and have so many fans who will scream bloody murder. My suggestion would be to call, and not just fill out a form online. When you call your tv provider, make sure to ask to speak to a manager, and then voice your concern. As long as the fans hound them enough, and keep bugging them all the time, they will be forced to acquiesce!
LAKEROC

Postby Chillin on Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:57 pm

LAKEROC wrote:I live in Hawai'i, and have DirectTV; however I'm not concerned over this issue getting resolved. I know for a fact, that many people in the Lakers organization(Mitch, Jim, John Ireland, John Black,) all have DirecTV! That gives me comfort, as well knowing that the Lakers, are probably the biggest organization in professional sports, along with the Yankees, and have so many fans who will scream bloody murder. My suggestion would be to call, and not just fill out a form online. When you call your tv provider, make sure to ask to speak to a manager, and then voice your concern. As long as the fans hound them enough, and keep bugging them all the time, they will be forced to acquiesce!

The bolded part is exactly what you don't want to do. The customer service supervisors and managers have no control over what is broadcasted over any companies channel lineup. Sure they will listen to your concerns, maybe send a letter to their corporate, but they aren't the ones in the negotiation meetings and conference calls to make deals to add a contract for a new provider. It's more of a waste of your time to call in and wait on hold to speak to a superior at the customer service level.

The better thing to do would locate a mailing or email address to your companies corporate division to inform them of your desire to having that channel added to their channel lineup.
Chillin

Postby therealdeal on Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:30 pm

KB8SD wrote:

I understand what your saying.But TWC still needs to make deals with the other TV providers for them to carry the channel.If they don't they may have the $200 millon a year to pay the Lakers but they need the other TV providers if Time Warner are going to make a profit off this new TV agreement.

Directv headquarters is in El Segundo and their biggest customer base in the US is the LA, OC, and Socal areas.

Also Time Warner may be going the route of trying to lure & gain more customers to sign up for their cable service.But there are a bunch of areas where Time Warner cable service is not available for customers to get even if some customers wanted to switch just for the sake of having the Lakers new channels.

Time Warner and DirecTV are going to battle this out because the two really need each other, but each's price is going to be too high. In the end, DirecTV will blink and they'll pay for the channel.

Financially speaking it's easier to retain a customer than it is to get a new one, so the chances that TWC is trying to use this to lure customers, and therefore boost their sales considerably, are slimmer than the idea of simply monopolizing the channel and forcing others to pay for it's use.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:12 am

therealdeal wrote:
KB8SD wrote:

Time Warner and DirecTV are going to battle this out because the two really need each other, but each's price is going to be too high. In the end, DirecTV will blink and they'll pay for the channel.

Financially speaking it's easier to retain a customer than it is to get a new one, so the chances that TWC is trying to use this to lure customers, and therefore boost their sales considerably, are slimmer than the idea of simply monopolizing the channel and forcing others to pay for it's use.

^^ I think you're right on with this realdeal. In the end DirecTV is going to have to pony up for the channel. No way they risk losing an enormous chunk of their subscribers over the Lakers network. And I agree with you about the motives behind TWC. They just want their price. They have something now that the others covet.

I hope they get it done this month. I'm chomping at the bit (I have DirecTV).
Lakerjones

Postby lkrfn85 on Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:40 am

I really hope DirecTV gets it. Time Warner Cable does not service my area (no idea why), and I have DirecTV now. If they don't carry the Lakers, I'm dropping them like a hot potato!
lkrfn85

Postby jOeyB7000 on Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:04 pm

lkrfn85 wrote:I really hope DirecTV gets it. Time Warner Cable does not service my area (no idea why), and I have DirecTV now. If they don't carry the Lakers, I'm dropping them like a hot potato!

I really hope so too. I've had TWC and have not been very happy with them. DirecTV IMHO is the best provider out there, especially when it comes to sports. The NFL ticket makes DirecTV the gold standard IMO.

There's no way they don't come to an agreement by the time the season starts. As others have mentioned in this thread, TWC isn't available in all areas, so it would actually hurt TWC if they don't come to an agreement with DirecTV. DirecTV has a HUGE customer base and TWC would be stupid to play hardball and risk losing revenue from DirecTV's client base.

Also, many DIrecTV customers are contract customers. When you initially sign up for DirecTV, they lock you into a 2 year contract. I'm sure that many of the customers still under contract can't afford to pay the termination fee and switch to a provider that carries the Laker channel.
jOeyB7000

Postby therealdeal on Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:33 pm

jOeyB7000 wrote:
lkrfn85 wrote:I really hope DirecTV gets it. Time Warner Cable does not service my area (no idea why), and I have DirecTV now. If they don't carry the Lakers, I'm dropping them like a hot potato!

I really hope so too. I've had TWC and have not been very happy with them. DirecTV IMHO is the best provider out there, especially when it comes to sports. The NFL ticket makes DirecTV the gold standard IMO.

There's no way they don't come to an agreement by the time the season starts. As others have mentioned in this thread, TWC isn't available in all areas, so it would actually hurt TWC if they don't come to an agreement with DirecTV. DirecTV has a HUGE customer base and TWC would be stupid to play hardball and risk losing revenue from DirecTV's client base.

Also, many DIrecTV customers are contract customers. When you initially sign up for DirecTV, they lock you into a 2 year contract. I'm sure that many of the customers still under contract can't afford to pay the termination fee and switch to a provider that carries the Laker channel.

Well said. When it's all said and done, the two companies know they need each other. They'll come to an agreement about a price and everyone will breathe a sigh of relief.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion