TWC/Charter/Verizon/AT&T/Cox/DTV Ch. Guide (see 1st post)

Re: TWC and Lakers Sign Long-Term Agreement for Lakers Games

Postby Battle Tested20 on Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:48 pm

'Showtime' Nears for Time Warner Cable Sports' Lakers Networks

With less than a month to go before the tipoff of two regional sports networks centering on the Los Angeles Lakers, Time Warner Cable Sports is bolstering its content lineup, stepping up its marketing game and engaging in carriage discussions with potential affiliates.

Time Warner Cable SportsNet and Time Warner Cable Deportes, the nation's first dedicated RSN for Latinos, are slated to launch on Oct. 1, following the cable operator's February 2011 acquisition of the NBA franchise's media rights for between $3 billion to $4 billion over a 20-year span (the allocation evidently expands by another $1 billion if a five-year option is exercised). The team's games had been televised by Fox Sports West and KCAL-TV.

The RSNs will televise 70 contests of the revamped Lakers, whose lineup not only includes Kobe Bryant and Pau Gasol, but other perennial all-stars Steve Nash and Dwight Howard, as well as a host of shoulder programming around the storied NBA franchise.

"It's certainly been exciting to be a Lakers fan this summer from when free agency started around July 4 through the acquisition of Dwight [from the Orlando Magic]," said Mark Shuken, senior vice president and general manager of TWC Sports Regional Networks.

In addition, TWC SportsNet has secured rights to Major League Soccer's Galaxy, the WNBA Sparks, CIF high school football and last week scored select Mountain West Conference football and basketball action.

At presstime, TWC SportsNet, which is reportedly asking $3.95 in monthly subscriber fees for the two networks, had yet to add any affiliates beyond the nation's No. 2 cable operator. Shuken said that Time Warner Cable is the largest distributor -- with about 2 million subscribers in the RSNs' territory that extends to "Fresno to the north, Tijuana to the south, Hawaii to the west and Las Vegas to the east." All told, TWC counts about one-third of the MVPD homes in the territory's 6 million

"We're in ongoing conversations with the seven or eight potential affiliates, including DirecTV," said Shuken. Other key prospective carriers: Dish Network, Cox in Orange County, where 30% of Lakers season ticketholders live, and Las Vegas; Charter Communications in the LA suburbs; plus telcos AT&T U-verse and Verizon FiOS. "Launches have timelines and we're proceeding on the right course you would expect," he noted.

Presumably that means potential deals could be triggered around the networks' debut on Oct. 1; the Lakers' first exhibition game on Oct. 7; or the club's road opener for the 2012-13 regular season against Portland on Halloween night (The Lakers begin the pursuit of their 17th NBA crown against Dallas at the Staples Center on TNT the prior night.)

In the meantime, consumers in the RSNs' areas are about to get hit with a full-court marketing blitz. After starting in mid-July with social media activities that included the posting of videos around the Lakers, Galaxy and Sparks, TWC SportsNet began using billboards featuring Bryant on Aug. 13. The campaign's outdoor component will feature six different executions, including other stars from the respective teams, on "both static and changing boards," said Shuken.

Starting on Sept. 3, though, the push will kick into a higher gear with TV and radio ads on such high-profile sports as Los Angeles Dodgers baseball games, the National Football League and international soccer. While TWC cross-channel avails and other assets will be in play, the schedule will be "primarily paid media," according to Shuken. Although he declined to put a value on the media/marketing launch campaign, Shuken said it was "significantly greater than for any other RSN."

He noted that while there isn't a tagline per se, the messaging will focus on the "depth and access" the RSNs will bring to viewers and "the games you never miss and things about the teams you've never seen before." Shuken said there were different sensibilities involved for English-language sports fans who have been accustomed to RSNs and a "more welcoming approach for new Hispanic viewers."

To that end, Time Warner Cable Deportes will also have some different programming than its English-language cousin. It will also feature Mexican boxing and wrestling and high school football from teams in Hispanic communities, as well as dedicated daily and weekly information shows. Shuken said the network also expects to soon finalize a deal for Mexican soccer.

The Mountain West Conference content -- 12 football games and two dozen basketball games -- will not air on the Spanish-language service. Rather, TWC SportNet will become the exclusive regional home of San Diego State Aztecs, Fresno State Bulldogs and UNLV Running Rebels. The rights were acquired through a sublicensing deal with CBS Sports Network in exchange for additional carriage on Time Warner Cable systems; with the conference itself in the wake of the demise of The mtn. its regional sports network; and the schools themselves.

"Our networks will have more locally acquired and produced programming than any other RSN," said Shuken. "The Lakers, Galaxy and Sparks games and the unparalleled access to the clubs are enough, but we think we've rounded out the product well for viewers in Fresno, San Diego and Las Vegas.".

http://www.multichannel.com/article/489049-_Showtime_Nears_for_Time_Warner_Cable_Sports_Lakers_Networks.php
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby Battle Tested20 on Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:51 pm

therealdeal wrote:
jOeyB7000 wrote:
lkrfn85 wrote:I really hope DirecTV gets it. Time Warner Cable does not service my area (no idea why), and I have DirecTV now. If they don't carry the Lakers, I'm dropping them like a hot potato!

I really hope so too. I've had TWC and have not been very happy with them. DirecTV IMHO is the best provider out there, especially when it comes to sports. The NFL ticket makes DirecTV the gold standard IMO.

There's no way they don't come to an agreement by the time the season starts. As others have mentioned in this thread, TWC isn't available in all areas, so it would actually hurt TWC if they don't come to an agreement with DirecTV. DirecTV has a HUGE customer base and TWC would be stupid to play hardball and risk losing revenue from DirecTV's client base.

Also, many DIrecTV customers are contract customers. When you initially sign up for DirecTV, they lock you into a 2 year contract. I'm sure that many of the customers still under contract can't afford to pay the termination fee and switch to a provider that carries the Laker channel.

Well said. When it's all said and done, the two companies know they need each other. They'll come to an agreement about a price and everyone will breathe a sigh of relief.

Don't forget about everyone else who doesn't have Direct TV. Even though my cable provider is Cox, whenever I have talked to TWC on their facebook page, twitter, or in person I always say this is important to all cable providers and Lakers fans as a whole. I won't be happy at all if just a couple people get it. Its all or nothing. Even though we all may or may not have different cable providers we need to stick together on this like family
Battle Tested20

Postby therealdeal on Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:16 pm

^ Don't worry, everyone is going to get the Lakers when the time calls for it. No one makes money when no one cooperates. Everyone is going to work together when the time comes.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Battle Tested20 on Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:19 pm

therealdeal wrote:^ Don't worry, everyone is going to get the Lakers when the time calls for it. No one makes money when no one cooperates. Everyone is going to work together when the time comes.

I totally agree. When I went into one of the Cox retail stores around San Diego and asked to speak with someone who is in the "know" about Sports programming channel I talked to this guy for about 15 minutes and I kept telling him that the question regarding this TWC channel agreement shouldn't beif it will happen. The real question is when and he unlike most other people I talked to knew to a certain extent what I was talking about and he agreed because I explain the so-called "pickle" that SoCal Lakers fans were in regarding the NBA League Pass and Blackouts.

I'm just more anxious because I hope they get this deal done before Media Day and the First Pre-season game so that I can watch them all. But Yes, before the Oct. 30th opening night I'd bet that a deal is done with most if not all cable providers
Battle Tested20

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:19 pm

its weird seeing a commercial for this channel on kcal

CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby Scnottaken on Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:34 pm

While I am happy for the Buss family, and am happy for the funding they will receive, I still don't like the deal. Seems too much like what AT&T and EA do, a large corporation throwing its weight around, bullying smaller companies because they have the money. With that said, I'm not switching to TWC for their crappy service if Verizon doesn't get it, and will just stream, bad as they may be.
I want to hear "Beat LA" chants at a Clipper vs Laker game
Scnottaken

Postby Tobias Funke on Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:46 pm

I have TWC, and I really dont like them at all. Probably gonna get rid of them soon. That being said, I would gladly pay extra every month for this channel, and honestly Id even be willing to keep TWC if I could get this channel, which says alot because I really dislike their service.

Unfortunately Im not out on the west coast. I think I'll have to suck it up and get league pass broadband this season. Although if I dont, it certainly helps that something like 30 games will be shown nationally, and probably a few more if NBA TV still does that Fan night thing.
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

Tobias Funke

Postby KB8SD on Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:54 am

Someone brought up the subject of DirecTV's contractual obligation.

Yes it's a 2 year agreement and the customer has to pay $20 for each remaining month they have left on their contract if they decided to cancel their contract before it has been fulfilled.It's very similar to a cell phone contract with AT&T, Verizon, or T-Mobile.

I just signed up with Directv back in late June of this year because I wanted NFL Sunday Ticket which is a exclusive sports package to Directv and they give it free to new customer for the 1st year.

Now a option that Directv customers who are under contract can do is Suspended their account for up to 6 months without having to pay.Then get Time Warner cable installed for the time being until TWC and Directv reach an agreement to carry the new Lakers channels.That is of course if TWC is available in the area you live.Luckily for me I'm in a part of San Diego TWC is available.Also Time Warner does offer contract agreements where you can go month to month and not sign a 2 year agreement.You may pay a little extra but at the same time TWC does tries to sucker people into contracts by offering a "Lock in price rate" which gives customers about 3 months of some small discounted rate.Of course keep in mind that when Directv & TWC reach and agreement and that when you cancel TWC and un suspended your Directv account that you still will have to fulfill the remaining months you are under contract.

Literally every TV provider I know and have been a customer of requires a 2 year contract agreement.I've had TWC, AT&T U-Verse, and now Directv and all of them at one point required a 2 year contract agreement.Reason being is that Cable companies within the past 5 years have faced more competiton when AT&T launched U-Verse and Verizon came out with Fios.Before that it was just cable companies and satellite service. AT&T U-Verse and Verizon Fios fall under the TV service of IPTV technology.

I really don't want to go this route but if come late Sept if no contract has been reached between Directv & TWC to carry the new Laker channels.I will do this.I don't want to miss when the channel launches, miss media day, and the pre season games.

I can honestly say in seeing how the Viacom loss of channels happened with Directv and them still in negations and not carrying the PAC 12 Network channels that Directv does not like being pushed around and holds out till the last minute to get a major channel distribution deal done.

So if you are a Directv customer expect to miss the pre season games and not see an agreement reached until late October when the regular season is about to start.
KB8SD

Postby KB8SD on Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:49 am

Tobias Funke wrote:I have TWC, and I really dont like them at all. Probably gonna get rid of them soon. That being said, I would gladly pay extra every month for this channel, and honestly Id even be willing to keep TWC if I could get this channel, which says alot because I really dislike their service.

Unfortunately Im not out on the west coast. I think I'll have to suck it up and get league pass broadband this season. Although if I dont, it certainly helps that something like 30 games will be shown nationally, and probably a few more if NBA TV still does that Fan night thing.

Cheapest and best route for you to go in your situation is get NBA League Pass Broadband Choice.This plan lets you select up to 5 teams and I just got a e-mail from nba.com saying the early bird price is $119.Compared to $179 for full TV or full NBA League Pass broadband option.

Next step would be make sure whatever TV service you have Cable, Satellite, or IPTV.That you are on a channel plan that has NBATV.NBATV is usually offered a la carte or priced in a particular mid to high level channel package.

I know that AT&T U-Verse you need to be subscribed to at least the U-Verse U300 plan to get NBATV.Time Warner I checked and they offer it a la carte for $8 a month in what they call "Sports Pack".Directv you have to been on their 3rd highest plan which is "Choice Extra" to get NBATV.
KB8SD

Postby Ariza3 on Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:42 am

nba commercials always give me goosebumps! i hate that i have twc bc they absolutely suck but im glad they have the lakers. im sure more providers will at a premium or something but i just cant wait for this season. seems like its gunna be a good channel to watch. kind of like watching "the association" series on nbatv. the inside behind the scenes look should be pretty cool to see. glad it happened while kobe is still playing.

gunna be a good season for basketball
Ariza3

Postby Tobias Funke on Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:49 am

Thanks KB8, yeah I have NBA TV already.
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

Tobias Funke

Postby LAKEROC on Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:47 pm

I have had Dish Network, Oceanic and DirecTV. DirecTV is without a doubt the best in the buisness for sports...hands down. The only thing I have never been able to get with DirecTV is Racetrack TV(available only on Dish Network). which broadcasts every horse race in the Unites States(Santa Anita, Del Mar). It's a whopping $70/month for it on Dish Network, and DirecTV sadly, either never negotiated the rights for it, or felt it wasn't worth it to acquire the channel. However, the Lakers have a ridiculous fan base, and most of the Lakers organization had DirecTV, so as I have said, I'm confident a deal will get done, but agree my monthly bill will increase by about $6-10 more a month, to help offshoot their cost to get the channel.
LAKEROC

Postby John3:16 on Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:52 pm

LAKEROC wrote:I know for a fact, that many people in the Lakers organization(Mitch, Jim, John Ireland, John Black,) all have DirecTV!

It must be awesome to know all those Lakers. :bow:

You should post picture of you with them sometime and tell us how you met all of them. I bet you have some awesome stories.
John3:16
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:17 pm

There's no chance your cable/satellite costs go up 6-10 dollars a month. Not a chance. That's 72-120 a year. If DirecTV has 19.91 million subscribers (http://investor.directv.com/overview.cfm) that's 1.433 - 2.389 billion in extra revenue.

That's fleecing the customer. The average DirecTV customer pays 90+ dollars a month. They aren't going to stand for a 6-10 dollar pay increase per month for one channel, especially one they may not even watch. The cost of basic cable will go up 3-4 dollars tops.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:40 pm

lakerswiz wrote:
therealdeal wrote:There's no chance your cable/satellite costs go up 6-10 dollars a month. Not a chance. That's 72-120 a year. If DirecTV has 19.91 million subscribers (http://investor.directv.com/overview.cfm) that's 1.433 - 2.389 billion in extra revenue.

That's fleecing the customer. The average DirecTV customer pays 90+ dollars a month. They aren't going to stand for a 6-10 dollar pay increase per month for one channel, especially one they may not even watch. The cost of basic cable will go up 3-4 dollars tops.

Actually, they may charge that much. It would be considered a local channel and if it's not going to be in DirecTV's channel lineup, they'll probably have an option to add it. A friend had DirecTV and wanted to add KCAL up where I live where it's not provided with DirecTV's programming and it was going to cost him a similar amount to do that.

You have to realize 19.91 million people aren't going to be buying this new channel too. Low hundreds of thousands, if that.

From what I've read the new channel would be included in the basic cable package meaning that all prices go up invariably. Is there a reason to think that's not true?
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby KB8SD on Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:17 pm

therealdeal wrote:
lakerswiz wrote:
therealdeal wrote:There's no chance your cable/satellite costs go up 6-10 dollars a month. Not a chance. That's 72-120 a year. If DirecTV has 19.91 million subscribers (http://investor.directv.com/overview.cfm) that's 1.433 - 2.389 billion in extra revenue.

Actually, they may charge that much. It would be considered a local channel and if it's not going to be in DirecTV's channel lineup, they'll probably have an option to add it. A friend had DirecTV and wanted to add KCAL up where I live where it's not provided with DirecTV's programming and it was going to cost him a similar amount to do that.

You have to realize 19.91 million people aren't going to be buying this new channel too. Low hundreds of thousands, if that.

From what I've read the new channel would be included in the basic cable package meaning that all prices go up invariably. Is there a reason to think that's not true?

That's incorrect.

We are talking about millions of customers.Unlike the last TV contract this new channel will be one home for all non nationally televised Home & Road games.The Lakers TV coverage is huge it goes as far down south to San Diego & Tijuana, as far North up Cali all the way up to Fresno, Goes east to Las Vegas & Clarke County Nevada, and as far west to Hawaii and even some parts of Arizona is in the Lakers DMA territory.
KB8SD

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:47 pm

those in the coverage area will have it included with their plans but will probably see small overall price increases every month. those outside the area will get a national version of the channel which wont show any live games so they still need to get league pass to see lakers games.
CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby pound4pound1 on Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:51 pm

anyone know if AT&T U-verse will get the games?
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby therealdeal on Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:17 pm

lakerswiz wrote:I'm totally clueless about what's actually going on. I just saw the bit about DirecTV charging extra and commented.

The website they put together tells me I won't get the channel. I am internally freaking out, but am thinking they'll figure it out before I ever have to worry.

I just couldn't imagine this deal would get done without stuff in place for the channel to be as widespread as possible. Luckily we have ~ a month or so for the companies to reach a deal and for us to figure it all out.

There's a 0.5% chance of there being a major carrier that doesn't carry this channel. Too much money at stake for everyone to lose out like that.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:20 pm

lakerswiz wrote:Hey Real, after rereading through everything I think we were both a bit confused.

I was saying I could see them upping the bill for adding JUST that channel - OUTSIDE of it being included with a cable subscription. If it's going to be included with the basic cable, there probably won't be an increase.

In my scenario, the KCAL channel wasn't offered in the basic cable package, but via request we could add it for an additional fee per month.

So - if DirecTV is adding that channel to their basic cable package, it will affect a huge amount of customers, but I'm also going to guess that it's being added to their basic cable package for the area - not their entire subscriber base. And I'd guess that they wouldn't increase the price.

So for someone like my friend, who may be outside of the local range for that channel, he may have to pay an additional amount per month. For DirecTV customers that live in the 'local' area for the channel, I would think it would be added for no additional fee.

Yes, I was referring mostly to the local customers. Local customers will have the channel added basically automatically and we'll see a slight pay increase. For people outside of the LA area (and some surrounding parts), there will be different charge and a different situation.

I still hold to the idea that there won't be any major carrier without this channel though. There's no reason for everyone to lose money when there's an opportunity there.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby XXIV on Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:35 pm

pound4pound1 wrote:anyone know if AT&T U-verse will get the games?

So far no provider, with the exception of TWC, will have the channel.
XXIV

Postby Ariza3 on Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:52 am

this is such bs. FiOS better get it from TWC.

have had twc for a while and the SUCK! their tv isnt bad but their internet is horrible! so if youre thinking about switching over your current tv+internet bundle for TWC's then don't! i am switching to Fios and just praying that they get the lakers channel.

it makes sense that twc gets into the sports but not that they dont sell the rights to other providers. they will make way more money getting others involved. prob waiting until the last minute so that other providers pay top dollar and that they get every last viewer to switch to TWC thats planning on it and then they'll sell the rights or whatever its called.
Ariza3

Postby lakersStan24 on Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:13 am

Their New Lakers Commercial

http://youtu.be/v9kRcnEjtL0
Please Subscribe to My YouTube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/LakersMix/videos?view=0
lakersStan24

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:05 am

^i already posted it on the last page
CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby jbiggs on Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:36 am

i am getting cox cable in san diego ( i tried getting twc but it was unavailable). I hope to god that they come to an agreement with cox not just in orange county but sd area too
KOBE FOR LIFE
jbiggs
ClubCavs.com Administrator

Location: Born in South Torrance (So Cal) and currently in Point Loma

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion