TWC/Charter/Verizon/AT&T/Cox/DTV Ch. Guide (see 1st post)

Re: TWC and Lakers Sign Long-Term Agreement for Lakers Games

Postby KobeSystemtwofour on Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:50 am

Talked to Lakers PR they expect everyone to have the channel before the season
“If somebody had their life on the line, and they’ve got their options on who they want to save their life – tell me who you’re going to pick?” Bryant asked. “You’re going to look at the stats first?”
KobeSystemtwofour

Postby OX1947 on Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:13 pm

KobeSystemtwofour wrote:Talked to Lakers PR they expect everyone to have the channel before the season

Sounds right. I am guessing, and this is just a guess, that they will wait closer to the October 1 date so they actually have programming to justify the advertising for the other outlets. Common sense just tells me that the Lakers wouldn't do a deal like this if they had any inclining that there would be people in the LA area, no matter it being Charter, Cox, DTV, Dish or whoever and not at least have the ability to watch it on a tier or included into a basic package.
OX1947

Postby Ariza3 on Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:59 pm

Laker fans are loyal so the Lakers should be loyal its fans. it'll be on other providers come October
Ariza3

Postby jamabile on Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:21 pm

So, we're going to find out what happens by October 1st? I have Verizon Fios; as everybody here as expressed, these things usually don't get done until the last minute. This couldn't have worked out any better for Time Warner. Their first year broadcasting and they can advertise Nash, Howard, Kobe, etc. They and the Lakers will make out like bandits...
jamabile

Postby khmrP on Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:47 am

same thing happened several years ago when FOX and Dish were having a dispute (I have dish)...TMC has to sell this channel to others, otherwise they'll lose money. I hope TMC doesn't think having exclusive Laker rights will force millions to switch but dam I also hope I dont have to pay extra to get this channel.
khmrP

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:50 pm

Here’s a sneak peak at what the show open of every Lakers game on Time Warner Cable SportsNet will look like!

This is an example of what will be used during a game before a player highlight is shown.

This element is used during the game to transition in-between segments.

Here’s an in-game promotion telling you when to tune into the next Lakers game.

We’ll provide you with this look so you know when to next catch the Lakers on Time Warner Cable SportsNet.
CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby MadMax on Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:26 pm

Looking good....real sharp.
MadMax
Clublakers Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:51 pm

I don't know if I like the small text font. I don't know why. :man10:
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Ariza3 on Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:35 pm

Tweeted by TWC SportsNet and Retweeted by Los Angeles Lakers: We're available to all providers and working hard to get your @Lakers! iwantmylakers.com to tell your provider you can't miss a game
Ariza3

Postby OX1947 on Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:11 pm

Ariza3 wrote:
Tweeted by TWC SportsNet and Retweeted by Los Angeles Lakers: We're available to all providers and working hard to get your @Lakers! iwantmylakers.com to tell your provider you can't miss a game

We did. Now hurry the (bleep) up on your end.
OX1947

Postby Battle Tested20 on Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:32 am

OX1947 wrote:
Ariza3 wrote:

We did. Now hurry the (bleep) up on your end.

:man10: Seriously! Most, if not all of us will be willing to pay to get our Lakers
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby wcsoldier81 on Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:32 am

These sneak peaks look sick ... I heard there will be fresh snow falling on the screen each time we hit a three too
wcsoldier81

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:48 pm

glad we still get to watch james worthy :jam2:

getting dave miller from ESPN and geeter from FSN isnt too bad either.

JAMES WORTHY, CHRIS MCGEE, DAVE MILLER AND MIKE TRUDELL JOIN TIME WARNER CABLE SPORTSNET ON-AIR TEAM

Time Warner Cable SportsNet announced today that James Worthy, Chris McGee, Dave Miller and Mike Trudell are joining the network’s on-air team. Mark Shuken, Senior Vice President and General Manager, TWC Sports Regional Networks, made the announcement. Time Warner Cable SportsNet launches on October 1, along with its sister network Time Warner Cable Deportes, and the quartet of announcers will contribute primarily to Los Angeles Lakers coverage.

“As a sports network new to Southern California viewers, our number one priority is to connect directly with fans and we’re confident that James Worthy, Chris McGee, Dave Miller and Mike Trudell will tell the stories fans want to hear while narrating the games they can’t miss,” said Shuken. “They are all well-known and respected by Southern California sports fans because they have the expertise and insight to give our viewers an immersive Lakers viewing experience.”

James Worthy, also known as “Big Game James,” will be the main studio analyst for Lakers games on Time Warner Cable SportsNet. Worthy, who was inducted into the National Basketball Association (NBA) Hall of Fame in 2003 and was the first pick of the NBA Draft in 1982, is best known for his 12 seasons with the Lakers, three NBA championships and seven All-Star appearances, among other accomplishments. Most recently, Worthy hosted Lakers pre- and post-game shows on KCAL-TV for the past three seasons. He is also the founder of the James Worthy Foundation, which helps at-risk youth, military veterans and their communities.

“As a life-long Laker, I understand how important the Los Angeles Lakers are to Southern California,” said Worthy. “I’m honored that I’ll be able to speak directly to Lakers fans on Time Warner Cable SportsNet on a daily basis starting October 1.”

Chris McGee will be a studio anchor for Time Warner Cable SportsNet and joins the network after nine years at Fox Sports. While there, he served as the Lakers’ sideline reporter and also covered Los Angeles sports teams including the Los Angeles Clippers, Los Angeles Dodgers, Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim, USC and the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA), as well as high school sports. He also has worked for ESPN and CBS College Sports and covered the Olympics and AVP. McGee is originally from Los Angeles and played men’s volleyball at California State University, Northridge, where he was the team captain.

Dave Miller will take on a multi-faceted role as a studio analyst, commentator and reporter for Time Warner Cable SportsNet. Miller has coached basketball at all levels, including for the New Orleans Hornets, the University of Southern California (USC), University of Texas and Arizona State University. He earned his Master's in Sports Administration while coaching at Eastern Kentucky University. Most recently, Miller served as a radio host on ESPN Radio 710 in Los Angeles, while contributing to several national ESPN radio and TV broadcasts, and also worked as a college basketball analyst for Big Ten Network. He also runs basketball camps across the country, where he helps teach children skills and traits that will help them be successful both on and off the court.

Mike Trudell will serve as a sideline reporter for all Lakers telecasts, both home and away. Last season, he was the sideline reporter on KCAL-TV for Lakers away games. Trudell is also a reporter for the Los Angeles Lakers, where he’s covered the team for Lakers.com for the past four seasons. Prior to that, he was a reporter for the Minnesota Timberwolves.

As previously announced, Stu Lantz and Bill Macdonald will call all Lakers games on Time Warner Cable SportsNet and Andy Adler, who joined the network in May, will serve as a studio anchor.

For more information about Time Warner Cable SportsNet, visit www.twcsportsnet.com; to find out how to watch Time Warner Cable SportsNet starting October 1, visit www.iwantmylakers.com and enter your information at the top of the page.
CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby KBJelleyBean24 on Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:03 pm

I was wondering who their halftime annalists would be. Glad too see James stay with the Laker team :jam2:
I should get an assist for that. It's an intentional pass to oneself, so it's an assist. That way people can't say all I do is shoot.
-Kobe on passing the ball to himself off the backboard.
KBJelleyBean24

Postby Ariza3 on Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:52 pm

Big Game Jaaaaaaames Worthyyyy :jam2:

glad hes back and i also like mike trudell. i like the little inside things he does with the players that you normally wouldnt see or hear.
Ariza3

Postby PurpleNGold1 on Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:46 pm

THEY SHOULD MOVE JAMES TO SAY THE GAMES WITH STU THAT BE CLASSIC
PurpleNGold1

Postby GoatMilk16 on Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:44 am

no Heidi Watney though :(
GoatMilk16

Postby bruddahmanmatt on Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:52 am

wcsoldier81 wrote:These sneak peaks look sick ... I heard there will be fresh snow falling on the screen each time we hit a three too

:man10:
P&G
bruddahmanmatt

Postby Chillin on Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:21 pm

The new Time Warner Cable Sportsnet broadcast will be on channel 43 for standard definition and channel 403 for HD in the Los Angeles, Orange County, and San Diego areas.

In the upcoming days the guide should reflect a Coming Soon message until the channel officially launches on Oct. 1.
Chillin

Postby OX1947 on Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:54 pm

If these aholes arent going to make a deal in time, then they better not block out the League Pass for the LA area. That is the only way we can watch them if they do not make a deal in time. I would rather do that then ever touch the monstrosity that is Time Warner Cable again, the worst TV provider in the history of TV.
OX1947

Postby Battle Tested20 on Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:43 pm

Update: We're Getting Closer:

Clock runs down for Lakers' TV carriage deals

By Lisa Richwine

LOS ANGELES | Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:21am IST

(Reuters) - Time Warner Cable Inc, which outbid Fox Sports for the local rights to air Los Angeles Lakers games, faces the prospect of an opening tip off on October 7 without deals to reach fans of the NBA team in more than half of the area's homes.

So far, the only fans able to watch local broadcasts of new Lakers stars Dwight Howard and Steve Nash will be the 2 million who subscribe to Time Warner Cable. None of the area's other half-dozen pay TV providers agreed to carry the new Time Warner Cable SportsNet or its Spanish-language sister, Time Warner Cable Deportes.

The channels launch on October 1 with live studio shows, classic games and original programs related to the Lakers, the Galaxy professional soccer team and other local sports.

Executives are working to sign other carriage deals before the first Lakers pre season game on October 7, said Mark Shuken, senior vice president and general manager for Time Warner Cable's regional sports networks.

"It's getting close," Shuken acknowledged in an interview. "This pace, and this negotiating timeline, is consistent with virtually every (regional sports network) launch."

Despite recent acrimonious negotiations between operators and media companies that left some channels dark, Shuken says there is still time.

"We are making it very clear to the fans that we will be up and running October 1 and look forward to having agreements with all of their cable and satellite providers," Shuken said.

Time Warner Cable needs distributor fees to help pay for the hefty contract it reached with the Lakers in February 2011. The local broadcasting rights will cost about $2 billion over 20 years, Barclays analyst James Ratcliffe estimates.

Carriage negotiations often stretch to the final days or hours and pay TV providers are not ready to make a deal yet.

"We understand that the Lakers are popular sports programming, but that programming comes at an extremely high price," said Todd Smith, spokesman for Cox Communications. The company aims to keep costs "as reasonable as possible" for all customers, he added.

Charter Communications said it wanted "good value" for subscribers.

"Our customers realize there is a direct connection between the high cost of sports programming today and their cable bill," Charter spokesman John Miller said.

At least 3 million people in the greater LA market use services other than Time Warner Cable, analyst Ratcliffe said.

The biggest operator Time Warner Cable needs is satellite provider DirecTV, which has about 1.3 million subscribers in the LA area, Ratcliffe said. DirecTV recently kept Nickelodeon, MTV and other Viacom Inc channels off its service for nine days in a fee dispute.

DirecTV spokesman Robert Mercer said the company was in discussions with Time Warner Cable and expected to provide an update on the talks closer to the start of the NBA season.

A spokesman for rival satellite operator Dish Network Corp did not respond. Officials at Verizon Inc and AT&T, which also provide TV service in the LA area, had no comment.

NBA Commissioner David Stern said he was "very optimistic" new distributors would sign before the Lakers' first regular season game on October 31, but he conceded some fans might miss early games.

"My guess is there'll be some delay in some cases, but eventually deals will be made," Stern said in an interview.

Analyst Ratcliffe agreed.

"The probability of a long-term holdout is very low," he said.

For its two LA sports channels, Time Warner Cable is seeking an average of $3.95 per subscriber from distributors in the immediate area to carry both channels and lower fees for farther regions.

The price for the two networks is higher than any single regional sports channel except Comcast Corp's $4.02 price in Washington, according to research firm SNL Kagan.

In addition to the Lakers, the Time Warner Cable channels will air the Galaxy Major League Soccer team, the Sparks professional women's basketball team, local college football and basketball, and high school sports. The Deportes channel will have separate production teams and announcers to tailor programming to a Latino audience, Shuken said.

Time Warner Cable also says it will be the first regional sports channel to offer digital viewing for pay TV subscribers to watch games on mobile phones, tablets or computers.

The company would like to bring viewers the next big prize in the Los Angeles market: rights to air Dodgers baseball games starting with the 2014 season.

The current rights holder, News Corp's Fox Sports, began preliminary talks in May on a new multi-billion dollar deal. Fox has a six-week exclusive negotiating period that begins October 15. Others can step in after that if no agreement is reached.

"If those rights become available for us to bid on, we would be interested in them," Shuken added.

(Reporting By Lisa Richwine in Los Angeles and Liana B. Baker in New York. Editing by Andre Grenon)

http://in.reuters.com/article/2012/09/12/us-timewarnercable-lakers-idINBRE88B1KZ20120912
Good New as more people believe we all get deals with cable providers. :jam2:
Last edited by Battle Tested20 on Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Battle Tested20

Postby XXIV on Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:01 pm

^ Don't really see how it's great news. Nothing new has been mentioned.
XXIV

Postby Battle Tested20 on Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:11 pm

XXIV wrote:^ Don't really see how it's great news. Nothing new has been mentioned.

maybe not "great" news yet, but at least TWC and all the other cable providers at least sound like they're talking on a more regular basis.

I also forgot to post this for Lakers fan such as myself who have Cox:

CoxCAHelp ‏@CoxCAHelp
@grunHD We’re working through the process for Time Warner Cable SportNet. Only TW has it right now, no other provider. Stay tuned. -Bryan

https://twitter.com/CoxCAHelp

I liked reading the "stay tuned" part. Maybe its just that I'm optimistic that deals will begin to happen before Media Day (Oct. 1st)
Battle Tested20

Postby The Original 81 on Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:00 pm

I wish this channel was offered to all Time Warner subscribers in the country.
"Let me say one more thing about Kobe. He will be the best player in the history of the game. If he keeps doing what he's doing, there is no stopping him. He is that good." - Shaquille O'Neal in his autobiography, "Shaq Talks Back"
The Original 81

Postby Ariza3 on Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:05 pm

Bring it to FiOS! Time Warner sucks!
Ariza3

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion