TWC/Charter/Verizon/AT&T/Cox/DTV Ch. Guide (see 1st post)

Re: TWC and Lakers Sign Long-Term Agreement for Lakers Games

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:14 pm

The Original 81 wrote:I wish this channel was offered to all Time Warner subscribers in the country.

technically all time warner subscribers can get the channel.. but itll be a national version that wont show any games
CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby LTLakerFan on Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:33 pm

Ariza3 wrote:Bring it to FiOS! Time Warner sucks!

I'm starting to read a lot of good things about fiber optic FIOS. Supposedly less compression than other traditional providers....cable and satellite?

Unfortunately where I live it's not available. Charter gives me a good feed when they get one. They better effing have the Lakers from TW. I would switch in a heartbeat to DirecTV if they had it instead. Which is supposed also to be maybe better than best cable signals....not certain.
LTLakerFan

Postby The Original 81 on Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:39 pm

CaCHooKa Man wrote:
The Original 81 wrote:I wish this channel was offered to all Time Warner subscribers in the country.

technically all time warner subscribers can get the channel.. but itll be a national version that wont show any games

Well that's lame lol
"Let me say one more thing about Kobe. He will be the best player in the history of the game. If he keeps doing what he's doing, there is no stopping him. He is that good." - Shaquille O'Neal in his autobiography, "Shaq Talks Back"
The Original 81

Postby Doc Brown on Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:52 pm

The Original 81 wrote:
CaCHooKa Man wrote:

Well that's lame lol

Maybe I'm not understanding this right or this doesn't pertain to me, but I talked to TWC in my area (Ohio) about getting this channel for all the Laker games, and they told me that I would be getting it and be able to see all the Laker games.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby The Original 81 on Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:01 pm

Doc Brown wrote:
The Original 81 wrote:
CaCHooKa Man wrote:

Well that's lame lol

Maybe I'm not understanding this right or this doesn't pertain to me, but I talked to TWC in my area (Ohio) about getting this channel for all the Laker games, and they told me that I would be getting it and be able to see all the Laker games.

Really? Maybe I should call my local Time Warner and see what they say. I really didnt see why it would be an issue to get the channel.
"Let me say one more thing about Kobe. He will be the best player in the history of the game. If he keeps doing what he's doing, there is no stopping him. He is that good." - Shaquille O'Neal in his autobiography, "Shaq Talks Back"
The Original 81

Mason & Ireland Direct TV not yet carring Time Warner Cable

Postby KaliCin on Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:24 pm

Click here to listen: http://youtu.be/WPTQhE9uhw8

Mason & Ireland Direct TV not yet carring Time Warner Cable SportsNet or Pac 12 Channel

Mason & Ireland talk about Direct TV and other carriers not yet carring Time Warner Cable SportsNet or Pac 12 Channel.
@ 03:06 A person who works at direc tv calls in
@ 22:39 A person who works at Time warner calls in

go to: http://www.nba.com/lakers/twc_iwantm...lakers%20channel
KaliCin

Re: Mason & Ireland Direct TV not yet carring Time Warner Cable

Postby LTLakerFan on Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:33 pm

There will be a "Lakers Spring" .....errr....."Fall".....uprising if all the providers needed to cover their fans are not carrying by start of the season. Hopefully in time for the practice games. PLEASE!!!!
LTLakerFan

Postby dj vitus on Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:52 pm

LTLakerFan wrote:

I'm starting to read a lot of good things about fiber optic FIOS. Supposedly less compression than other traditional providers....cable and satellite?

Unfortunately where I live it's not available. Charter gives me a good feed when they get one. They better effing have the Lakers from TW. I would switch in a heartbeat to DirecTV if they had it instead. Which is supposed also to be maybe better than best cable signals....not certain.

I've got it here in Walnut for the past 3 months, and it's great. It stays on 99% of the time. Only for a few days, I think, it cut out for a couple minutes several times throughout the day. But hey, that's a lot better than TW at my parents' place where it cuts out like every 15 minutes. :man10:

As for the Wi-fi, it works perfectly with my Samsung Galaxy S II. Older devices, though, don't really connect as well (my MyTouch was very slow and would cut out often).
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
dj vitus

Postby nthydro on Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:27 pm

Man this really sucks. It's crunch time and no deals have been made yet. While I'm confident they'll be available to all providers by the first game of the season, I don't want to miss any preseason games or other exclusive videos they show during the first week. I just want to know who will be carrying it so I'll have time to switch providers if necessary.
nthydro

Postby OX1947 on Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:43 pm

We would have been better off had Fox won the bidding war. Just when I thought I was done with Time Warner forever, those (bleep) have to be the ones to own the TV rights of my favorite team.
OX1947

Re: Mason & Ireland Direct TV not yet carring Time Warner Cable

Postby Battle Tested20 on Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:55 pm

KaliCin wrote:Click here to listen: http://youtu.be/WPTQhE9uhw8

Mason & Ireland Direct TV not yet carring Time Warner Cable SportsNet or Pac 12 Channel

Mason & Ireland talk about Direct TV and other carriers not yet carring Time Warner Cable SportsNet or Pac 12 Channel.
@ 03:06 A person who works at direc tv calls in
@ 22:39 A person who works at Time warner calls in

go to: http://www.nba.com/lakers/twc_iwantm...lakers%20channel

Thank you very much for sharing this and it made me happy to hear that based on that TWC employee that called in that Cox and all of the other cable proviers actually have a better chance of getting this SportsNet channel because they don't have that NFL Sunday Ticket competitive advantage like he was mentioning. With that said, as a Lakers fan and knowing that we're all like a family on here I would really be upset if they left out any other cable providers and can't get a deal with anyone one.

If TWC keeps saying and advertising that this TWC SportsNet is 24/7 Lakers stuff and that its for the fans then all Lakers fans should be able to get it.
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby OX1947 on Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:27 am

How many bars in LA are there? Now, imagine all those bars not showing Laker games. Bars can not switch. Sunday Ticket is too big for businesses in the bars.
OX1947

Postby revgen on Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:30 pm

Looks like non-TWC subscribers will miss pre-season games.

Hopefully, it's not more than that.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby khmrP on Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:55 pm

I see no mention of dishnetwork, think i'm screwed :man6:
khmrP

Postby revgen on Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:11 pm

khmrP wrote:I see no mention of dishnetwork, think i'm screwed :man6:

Dish tends to get into nasty wars with channel providers to keep their prices low.

But the game is changing. Cable and Satellite aren't the giants they used to be. With Netflix and Hulu, TV shows are available on demand. Live sports is one of the few entertainment choices that is exclusive through cable outlets.

revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby OX1947 on Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:55 pm

I hate all these cable and satellite aholes man. Since I dropped that pathetic excuse for a cable business Time Warner last year, i never thought I could hate them as much as I do now. Why the hell did it have to be THEM.
OX1947

Postby revgen on Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:13 am

OX1947 wrote:I hate all these cable and satellite aholes man. Since I dropped that pathetic excuse for a cable business Time Warner last year, i never thought I could hate them as much as I do now. Why the hell did it have to be THEM.

DirecTV has NFL Sunday ticket. TWC has the Lakers.

Why subscribe to cable when you get news on the internet (no need for CNN, MSNBC, FNC, etc), TV shows through Netflix and Hulu, and no need for Sportscenter when the sports highlights are online. The only real thing that Cable and Satellite companies offer that's really of no value to Netflix and Hulu are live events like live sports and awards shows like the Oscars. Cable companies like TWC are willing to pay a premium to have the Lakers because it gives them one of the rare assets that isn't losing value for the cable/satellite business.

Without the Lakers deal, TWC just continues to lose market share to DirectTV and their NFL Sunday Ticket advantage, and to DISH who offers cheaper prices. TWC's niche offers a combination of broadband cable internet and local sports channels that show all of the local road and home games over their infrastructure. Neither of which DirectTV or DISH offer.

And considering the high demand by SoCal viewers to watch a popular team like the Lakers, they can sell their channels to their competitors in the local markets. By showing the Laker games on their own networks, they cut out the middlemen (Fox and KCAL) and keep the Laker games for themselves. No longer can Fox threaten not to carry their FSN and FSN2 channels like they did a few years ago and deprive TWC subscribers of the possibility of not seeing Laker games.

And with Magic Johnson buying the Dodgers and his close relationship to AEG (part-owner of the Lakers), the writing is on the wall for the Dodgers to possibly move to TWC as well for the same reasons that the Lakers have.

revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby khmrP on Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:45 pm

revgen wrote:
khmrP wrote:I see no mention of dishnetwork, think i'm screwed :man6:

Dish tends to get into nasty wars with channel providers to keep their prices low.

But the game is changing. Cable and Satellite aren't the giants they used to be. With Netflix and Hulu, TV shows are available on demand. Live sports is one of the few entertainment choices that is exclusive through cable outlets.

that is why I think I'm screwed, they had a disput as well for Fox Prime tkt channels, this Laker channel will cost them much much more then Fox.........time to watch to streamming blurry games :man6:
khmrP

Postby Tobias Funke on Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:26 am

Off topic I guess, but I decided tonight, Im going to have to check out whatever content from this channel that you guys on here deem interesting enough to upload onto Youtube. Im going to turn in my TWC box this week, the service (for me atleast) just sucks too bad.

I was without cable most of last year, up until two days before the start of last season actually, and I never missed it outside of sports. There's a really nice sports bar within walking distance of the apartment I'll be moving to in two weeks, so between that, online streaming and probably League Pass, I think I'll be good. I'll probably pick up a Roku box for guests' to use.

BTW can anyone used both services enough to comment on how Amazon Instant Video stacks up to Netflix? I like Netflix, but Im not a heavy user at all. Browsing through Amazon's service a few times it seems similar and has similar content to Netflix. I know Netflix is less than $10 a month, but if I can just use Amazon instead then why not since I dont plan on cancelling Amazon Prime anytime soon.
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

Tobias Funke

Postby LAKEROC on Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:24 pm

I've got family flying into Hawai'i on October 6th. This could put a damper on things, if DirectTv doesn't get it for the first preseason game.
I bought everyone Lakers shirts for their favorite player from the "Big 4". I had my whole schedule for Sunday planned out. First, planned to for take everyone over to Pearl Harbor in the morning, followed by Cirque du Soleil performance at the Neil Blaisdell Center, and back to the house to put on our Laker gear, and cheer on the Lakers VS. Warriors in beautiful HD clarity with fresh pizza and drinks from Big Kahuna!!! Please don't do this to me DirectTV!!!
LAKEROC

Postby pound4pound1 on Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:31 pm

damn...i guess its time to switch back
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby Psychobroker on Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:48 pm

LTLakerFan wrote:

DirecTv >> Time Warner. I just switched back after 4 months of being with TWC, and everything from the interface, to picture quality, to hardware performance, are noticeably better on DirecTV. I also didn't realize TWC did not carry the Bg Ten Network (huge Husker fan), nor the NFL network (no Thursday games!).

I am not worried about not getting Lakers game -- if anyone will strike deal with TWC, it will be DTV; simply too many LA subscribers not too. If they were smart, they'd just offer the channel as an a la carte option. I'd pay for that and still get to keep my DTV perks.

We couldn't stand TWC for the most part.

(And free Sunday ticket Max is nice :man12:)
Last edited by Psychobroker on Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Liberty cannot be preserved without a general knowledge among the people.”
- John Adams
"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. "
- Thomas Jefferson
"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."
- Mark Twain
Psychobroker

Postby Psychobroker on Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:49 pm

OX1947 wrote:How many bars in LA are there? Now, imagine all those bars not showing Laker games. Bars can not switch. Sunday Ticket is too big for businesses in the bars.

Great point.
“Liberty cannot be preserved without a general knowledge among the people.”
- John Adams
"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. "
- Thomas Jefferson
"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."
- Mark Twain
Psychobroker

Postby XXIV on Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:17 pm

Things should get interesting in 2-3 weeks. That's when negotiations should begin to pick up.
XXIV

Postby LTLakerFan on Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:54 pm

I don't know what to worry more about....our providers all having the feed in time for THE FIRST DAMN PRESEASON GAME..... or Potato Head's substitution patterns torpedoing our dream season.
LTLakerFan

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion